A wee, tiny quibble...

Filet Mignon
2009/05/06 13:10:23
I hate to be that guy, but today's (May 5th, 2008) restaurant review contains a small error, specifically as it relates to the name of the establishment in question.  There is no apostrophe, indicating the possessive in the name "Slows".  A quick glance at their website confirms this.

I spoke to the owner and head chef on numerous visits over the last three years and was told that they were very specific in leaving out that apostrophe.  The name refers to the "low and slow" Barbecue cooking method and does not pertain to anyone named Slow, therefore no apostrophe.

Once you have made your correction, feel free to delete this post and the entire thread if you wish.

Buddy
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:A wee, tiny quibble... 2009/05/06 13:42:14
Buddy-
Since you have been there a few times, how is the 'que?  I was just in Detroit over Easter weekend and I am kicking myself for not eating there.
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
Re:A wee, tiny quibble... 2009/05/06 13:47:11
On a related issue, I am always puzzled by the pointless insertion of an apostrophe in a restaurant's name.  One such that comes to mind is Mango's (either in Ft. Lauderdale or Miami Beach).  Whenever I see a name like that, I always wonder to myself, "Which Mango does it belong to?" 
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:A wee, tiny quibble... 2009/05/06 17:22:02
bb,

I'm not sure I'd put it up against Kansas City's best, but for a town like Detroit that is Barbecue deprived, Slows' 'Que is pretty good stuff.

I reviewed it more than once, here, and here.

We discovered that sticking with the brisket and pulled pork were the best bets.  Ribs were somehow lacking.  Very good side dishes all the way around.  Sauces ranged from excellent to mediocre, to downright odd.

Buddy
Tedbear
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:A wee, tiny quibble... 2009/05/06 18:12:57
MiamiDon

On a related issue, I am always puzzled by the pointless insertion of an apostrophe in a restaurant's name.  One such that comes to mind is Mango's (either in Ft. Lauderdale or Miami Beach).  Whenever I see a name like that, I always wonder to myself, "Which Mango does it belong to?" 

Don--You are, of course, correct. 

However, rather than calling the insertion of an apostrophe "pointless", let's call it what it really is, namely, incorrect.   Like you, I have observed restaurant names that consist of the name of one ingredient or food product, with the incorrect addition of an apostrophe, and I have also wondered--"Which 'Olive' (or Mango, or Tomato, or... ) does that restaurant belong to?"  

And, more importantly, how do pieces of fruit, vegetables, or other food items accrue enough money to open a restaurant?

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:A wee, tiny quibble... 2009/05/06 18:23:37
MiamiDon

I'm not familiar with that particular restaurant, but I am familiar with the name Mango. I happen to have some cousins named Mango, and if one of them owned an eponymous restaurant it would, of course, have to have an apostrophe.
Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle
Re:A wee, tiny quibble... 2009/05/06 18:31:04
But if two of them opened a restaurant, would it be called Mangos or Mangoes or Mangos' or ...
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:A wee, tiny quibble... 2009/05/06 19:48:45
Just Mango's, of course. But, Mangos' might work.

BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:A wee, tiny quibble... 2009/05/06 20:54:49
Just a note to the moderators: I gave you permission, and you had ample opportunity to delete this thread long before it got to this point.  And now, here we are discussing anthropomorphic vegetables owning restaurants.  Hope you're happy.

Buddy
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
Re:A wee, tiny quibble... 2009/05/06 22:26:05
BuddyRoadhouse

Just a note to the moderators: I gave you permission, and you had ample opportunity to delete this thread long before it got to this point.  And now, here we are discussing anthropomorphic vegetables owning restaurants.  Hope you're happy.

Buddy

douginvirginia
Cheeseburger
Re:A wee, tiny quibble... 2009/05/07 06:30:07
My pet peeve is the use of Peter Luger's for the Brooklyn steakhouse PETER LUGER.
Nancypalooza
Filet Mignon
Re:A wee, tiny quibble... 2009/05/07 08:58:02
Re:A wee, tiny quibble... 2009/05/07 10:06:33
Anthropomorphic Vegetables would be a great name for a band.  Dave Barry would approve.

Brad
Scorereader
Sirloin
Re:A wee, tiny quibble... 2009/05/07 10:20:19
douginvirginia

My pet peeve is the use of Peter Luger's for the Brooklyn steakhouse PETER LUGER.

time to let go of your pet peeve.

While it is Peter Luger Steak House, even they abbreviate as "Peter Luger's."

http://www.peterluger.com/ourmeats.cfm
"For the first time ever, Peter Luger's new online ordering service allows our customers to order our delicious USDA Prime Dry Aged Steaks."

carolina bob
Filet Mignon
Re:A wee, tiny quibble... 2009/05/07 11:18:12
Anthropomorphic vegetables owning a restaurant? Well, if Bob the tomato and Larry the cucumber from Veggie Tales bought an Applebee's franchise ( ick!! ), that's exactly what you would have. Scary thought, huh? ( I meant Applebee's, not Bob and Larry. )     
douginvirginia
Cheeseburger
Re:A wee, tiny quibble... 2009/05/07 12:01:23
Scorereader

douginvirginia

"For the first time ever, Peter Luger's new online ordering service allows our customers to order our delicious USDA Prime Dry Aged Steaks."

time to let go of your attitude.

In the example you cite, Peter Luger's is used in the posessive with reference to new online ordering service.

So, it would be correct to say "I enjoy Peter Luger's steak" or "I enjoy the steak at Peter Luger". 

Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
Re:A wee, tiny quibble... 2009/05/07 12:41:29

Please don't let this turn into yet another war about grammar and/or spelling. As has been discussed many times, what is being written here is often written in haste without the benefit of review or editing or may be written by people who don't have the same educational backround or affinity for proper grammar as others. As long as you can make out the intent of the message is the rest really that important? 
Scorereader
Sirloin
Re:A wee, tiny quibble... 2009/05/07 12:50:06
douginvirginia

Scorereader

douginvirginia

time to let go of your attitude.

wow, who has the attitude?
here's my pet peeve: people who overreact to posts on the web.

Scorereader
Sirloin
Re:A wee, tiny quibble... 2009/05/07 12:52:54
Tony Bad

Please don't let this turn into yet another war about grammar and/or spelling. As has been discussed many times, what is being written here is often written in haste without the benefit of review or editing ... As long as you can make out the intent of the message is the rest really that important?

AMEN

It's one thing for a publication to make grammatical error, it's another thing when one errs on a web forum.

BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:A wee, tiny quibble... 2009/05/07 13:10:39
I told you; now that you've corrected the error in "Slows", you had my permission (bordering on insistence) as the initial poster to delete the whole dang thread.  But would you listen?  Noooooooo....

Buddy
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
Re:A wee, tiny quibble... 2009/05/07 13:20:03
Your post was not a problem, nor are any that point out errors. I too prefer when things are done right. I just don't want it to become a battle royale...or is that royal? Well, you get the idea.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:A wee, tiny quibble... 2009/05/07 13:40:17
I thought Royale was an ice cream sundae with bananas.
KonaErnie
Cheeseburger
Re:A wee, tiny quibble... 2009/05/07 13:51:08
You know what they call a quarter pounder with cheese in France? A Royale with cheese. 

Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
Re:A wee, tiny quibble... 2009/05/07 14:22:47
KonaErnie

You know what they call a quarter pounder with cheese in France? A Royale with cheese. 

What do they call a Big Mac? 

KonaErnie
Cheeseburger
Re:A wee, tiny quibble... 2009/05/07 14:27:40
Tony Bad

KonaErnie

What do they call a Big Mac? 

A Big Mac's a Big Mac, but they call it "Le Big Mac"
Scorereader
Sirloin
Re:A wee, tiny quibble... 2009/05/07 14:29:29
errors? you want errors? just check out your local chinese take-out menu. Holy smokes!

I get a kick out of some of the errors. One of the local take out places does make corrections. About every other month or so, they stick an updated menu in my mail slot. Someone must have pointed out the errors, because the updated menu has corrected some of them. However, they do, also, contain new errors. Most of the take out places not only serve "chinese" food, but they also sell a host of other things from gyros, to cheesesteaks, burgers, wings, subs, and more. The menus are so packed, that errors abound.  Some are so funny, I can't help but circle them and show them to my wife, who chuckles and calls me a nerd.
CajunKing
Sirloin
Re:A wee, tiny quibble... 2009/05/07 19:45:36
See what you started Buddy!!

BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:A wee, tiny quibble... 2009/05/07 20:44:02
The funny thing is, I know when to keep my big mouth shut, I just don't do it...

Buddy
CajunKing
Sirloin
Re:A wee, tiny quibble... 2013/06/01 16:09:36
Just a random bump

Buddy - you do know how to get *&%^ started

Ralph Melton
Double Cheeseburger
Re:A wee, tiny quibble... 2013/06/01 17:14:02
There's an Italian caterer we've dealt with a few times, Nice guy, good food - but his talents in cooking exceed his talents in spelling.

In particular, there's one Italian meat that he always spells "supersad". I can look past it, but I always have to stop and think "do I really want a meal with supersad?"

I think that a supersad antipasto platter is the exact opposite of a happy meal.
bartl
Re:A wee, tiny quibble... 2013/06/01 19:31:59
The late writer, Steve Gerber, once wrote something which I started referring to, with his kind permission, Gerber's Law: Never trust anybody who can't spell what they do for a living.

Bart
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:A wee, tiny quibble... 2013/06/02 01:11:16
CajunKing Just a random bump

Buddy - you do know how to get *&%^ started

I was just sittin' here, minding my own business...

Buddy
FriedClamFanatic
Re:A wee, tiny quibble... 2013/06/02 12:50:48
There is a famous upscale restaurant on Cape Cod that has one of those wonderful printed placemats(I know.upscale.papermats..oxymoron) showing the map of Cape Cod, places, and things of interest.  Although differently printed each year, the locals loved to arrive early in the season.  Fueled by several Gin&tonics, they proceed to find all the mis-spelled places (usually an Indian name, but not always).

Then there is my lovely local Korean Cleaners who give out a huge Wall Calendar at Christmas. Although a bit garish, one year it got pride of place in the kitchen for its catchy phrase:  "All alterations done on the Promises!"
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:A wee, tiny quibble... 2013/06/02 13:41:04
I've been trying for a year to get lleechef to go with me to a restaurant in Beaver, Pennsylvania so I can try some of their gaelic sauce. From their flyer I'm guessing the place is a Chinese-Irish restaurant.
FriedClamFanatic
Re:A wee, tiny quibble... 2013/06/03 16:36:54
Michael, on the way, if you take the roads to State College, you can find some diners with interesting placemats.  Had 2 kids go thru Penn State so had ample opportunities to sample the various waystations..if they had a printed placemat (usually with local ads), there was bound to be a chuckle or 2 in the typos.

And since Fortune cookies are of Japanese origin, General Tsao never had chicken like that, and those packets of "soy" sauce are made by a company owned by 2 Jewish brothers and never once let a soybean near them.....a little Gaelic sauce can't be all bad..suppose they use Guiness or Wild Irish Rose?