Have You Seen Waffle Ice Cream Sandwiches?

seethesun
  • Total Posts : 10
  • Reward points : 0
Have You Seen Waffle Ice Cream Sandwiches? - Sun, 05/10/09 5:03 AM
Hi,

This is my first post. I am looking to get a business started working as a food vendor at different events. I have a friend that has been doing it successfully for about seven years. She does doing various fried snacks (sweets and veggies). I was thinking about going that route, but then I remembered something I had at a food festival last spring, a fresh baked waffle topped with buttered pecan ice cream and drizzled with chocolate. My mouth is watering!

It was the first and only time I have seen it. It was absolutely the best tasting thing I have ever had at a fair/festival. They were not back at that event in the fall, nor this week (the event is back now). However, the people that were running it were two college students. So I don't know if them not being back means they did terrible or if they just didn't do it again.

My friend that has worked as a vendor over the past 7 years said she has never seen it. Most of her events are in Texas and Illinois. I was wondering if anyone here has seen it (or done it) and if it's something that works?

It tastes great, but my concern is that it's not enticing enough to pull enough people over, competing with funnel cakes (and the like), something I know people specifically look for (myself included).

But if no one is doing them, then that should automatically make me unique for that event.

Also, my friend mentioned the health department frowns on scopping the ice cream yourself and she just buys prewrapped servings. I am sure that varies by location, but wondered if you have any experience with that issue as well.

Thanks for any insight!

BigSlicks
  • Total Posts : 235
Re:Have You Seen Waffle Ice Cream Sandwiches? - Sun, 05/10/09 5:31 AM
Good luck and let us know where you are and we go down to Vegas all the time.

Curbside Grill
  • Total Posts : 3916
Re:Have You Seen Waffle Ice Cream Sandwiches? - Sun, 05/10/09 5:49 AM
Most of the small festivals I do have one ice cream vendor,the same one at all of them. He states the his product does not do well until evening. during the day people look for other things. He always has a line after 6PM. never seen on a waffle, have to mention to him. Always there for lunch on Tues.
He does a ice cream bar that they prepare and wrap before the event. Still a $1.50, best deal around.
<message edited by Curbside Grill on Sun, 05/10/09 5:51 AM>

BillyB
  • Total Posts : 2851
Re:Have You Seen Waffle Ice Cream Sandwiches? - Sun, 05/10/09 9:17 PM
This maybe something you could do yourself. I like the idea of making the waffle something like a pecan Waffle with Praline icecream like a sandwich 3 inch square, and put on a stick and freeze. You could chocolate dip these on site. You would need a subzero freezer. There are unlimited ideas and varieties of waffles and icecream flavors you could do. They also have other flavors for dipping...............Bill

seethesun
Re:Have You Seen Waffle Ice Cream Sandwiches? - Mon, 05/11/09 1:40 PM
Thanks guys. I appreciate the input. I guess to ease my fears of it not being enticing enough, I will have to rely on marketing. Mouth watering pictures and try to make my tent stand out.

Unfortunately, there is not much with this concept that I can do to have  a "show" factor. Meaning something that puts on a show so it draws people over.

konnie
  • Total Posts : 334
Re:Have You Seen Waffle Ice Cream Sandwiches? - Mon, 05/11/09 6:31 PM
seethesun

Thanks guys. I appreciate the input. I guess to ease my fears of it not being enticing enough, I will have to rely on marketing. Mouth watering pictures and try to make my tent stand out.

Unfortunately, there is not much with this concept that I can do to have  a "show" factor. Meaning something that puts on a show so it draws people over.

Putting on a show is non problem.  Rent a bottle of helium, buy a big bag of ballons and a ball of string.  Blow up ballons and give them away FREE to the kids.  You'll have more traffic than you could shake a stick at.  However, you'll need an extra person, just to blow up ballons.

ike S.

Tommy B
  • Total Posts : 144
Re:Have You Seen Waffle Ice Cream Sandwiches? - Wed, 05/13/09 6:02 PM
Waffles and Ice Cream...the aroma alone makes you get out your wallet and order !!!

pokinielsen
  • Total Posts : 7
Re:Have You Seen Waffle Ice Cream Sandwiches? - Sun, 05/17/09 7:42 PM
I have been doing homemade cookies with softserve ice-cream sandwiched between for  a couple of years now. Don't know why it wouldn't work with waffels. I make them ahead of time and haul them in a 15 cubic foot freezer to events. They sell fantastic if the weather is right. I also take orders for them year around.

Would you be making the waffles yourself, or buying a premade one? Making enough waffles for 500 sandwiches sounds like a challenge. One I would be up to, but not for everyone. Who loves a challenge?

Dr of BBQ
  • Total Posts : 3716
Re:Have You Seen Waffle Ice Cream Sandwiches? - Sun, 05/17/09 10:17 PM
seethesun

Your right on wanting to do the show thing every good vendor should have one if they want to be the biggest vendor at an event.

First you need some really good pictures like those that have already been posted here.  But you can do the show with any product, because you can be the show. You need someone out front with a free sample, but make it a show in how you give out the free sample. I don’t care if you’re in a clown’s outfit or just dazzling them with the way you cut the samples but turn a bite of your product into your sizzle, smoke, and fire. And when you have someone that stands at a distance and just watches go take them by the arm and gentle drag them into the center of your stage (the area in front of your stand) and get them to try a bite.

And Never, NEVER figure some rag muffin kid is hanging around just trying to mooch a free bite (even if it’s his 3rd) because adults will watch to see how you handle the circumstance. In fact give the kid a bigger piece than anyone else.

Today I offered free samples of one of my sausages and sales went from (average) a partial case to 3 full cases, at a 6 hour gig.

You can do it after you get up and running, but you need to find the recipes, the how tos, the health departments rules, and what equipment you'll need. You have a ton of research to do to get your idea off the ground. Good luck.
Jack

seethesun
Re:Have You Seen Waffle Ice Cream Sandwiches? - Wed, 05/20/09 7:24 PM
pokinielsen

I have been doing homemade cookies with softserve ice-cream sandwiched between for  a couple of years now. Don't know why it wouldn't work with waffels. I make them ahead of time and haul them in a 15 cubic foot freezer to events. They sell fantastic if the weather is right. I also take orders for them year around.

Would you be making the waffles yourself, or buying a premade one? Making enough waffles for 500 sandwiches sounds like a challenge. One I would be up to, but not for everyone. Who loves a challenge?

I intend to make the waffles onsite as they are ordered. I have decided, at least in the beginning, to stick with just waffle sundaes and move away form sandwiches. I think I can overdeliver on it, charge about double what I was looking at charging for the ice cream sandwich (they were going to be small), and my costs will only rise slightly.

Dr of BBQ

Your right on wanting to do the show thing every good vendor should have one if they want to be the biggest vendor at an event.

First you need some really good pictures like those that have already been posted here.  But you can do the show with any product, because you can be the show. You need someone out front with a free sample, but make it a show in how you give out the free sample. I don’t care if you’re in a clown’s outfit or just dazzling them with the way you cut the samples but turn a bite of your product into your sizzle, smoke, and fire. And when you have someone that stands at a distance and just watches go take them by the arm and gentle drag them into the center of your stage (the area in front of your stand) and get them to try a bite.

And Never, NEVER figure some rag muffin kid is hanging around just trying to mooch a free bite (even if it’s his 3rd) because adults will watch to see how you handle the circumstance. In fact give the kid a bigger piece than anyone else.

Today I offered free samples of one of my sausages and sales went from (average) a partial case to 3 full cases, at a 6 hour gig.

You can do it after you get up and running, but you need to find the recipes, the how tos, the health departments rules, and what equipment you'll need. You have a ton of research to do to get your idea off the ground. Good luck.
Jack

Thanks for the idea. I actually, worked events for another company. We had to come up with different ways to pull people over.

I'm torn on the samples idea for a couple of reasons. First, it will be somewhat difficult to sample any more than just the waffle, but it's the whole product that's the experience, ice cream, hot fudge, the whole nine yards. This will be difficult to do specifically in Las Vegas when temps will be up to 110.

Plus, I have a friend that's been doing fried foods (twinkies, oreos, etc) for about 7 years. She sampled early on, but stopped because she said it didn't really help, only increased costs.

So I guess it varies by business on whether it would help. She has a pretty dynamic personality so if they have time to breathe she is shooting the sh*t with people walking by and the customers.

Me, I am not so boisterous, unfortunately, but I will if it comes down to surviving and thriving. We will make it. 

As far as the research, I am there already. I know what I need. I've already spoken with the health department and know what I need to do there. As far as the "how tos", that's where my friend has come into play. She has gone above and beyond in helping me to know the little nuances. And of course this site has been a great help as well.
<message edited by seethesun on Wed, 05/20/09 8:04 PM>

jeffroz1
  • Total Posts : 126
Re:Have You Seen Waffle Ice Cream Sandwiches? - Thu, 05/21/09 7:52 AM
Dr of BBQ

seethesun

Jack

I agree with the DR. Offering free samples is the way to go. Especially with the kids. If the kids like it they will beg the parents to buy your product. We offer free samples of our sauces and 9 out of 10 kids will bring their parents back.

Jeffro

MBFDFyre
  • Total Posts : 243
Re:Have You Seen Waffle Ice Cream Sandwiches? - Fri, 05/22/09 7:28 PM
Just a thought on the display side of things. Understandably, the ice cream melts within minutes of being put out. Why not get a "fake" scoup of ice cream? I am sure some company, some where makes them. Throw it on top of your waffle, drizzle your chocolate. Good to go. It may not look 100% like your actual product but I am sure most people will understand given the circumstances.

Smokey meats
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:Have You Seen Waffle Ice Cream Sandwiches? - Fri, 05/22/09 8:10 PM
Yes they're awesome but have never seen them sold anywhere.  Only make them at home.  You may have come across something.

seethesun
Re:Have You Seen Waffle Ice Cream Sandwiches? - Sat, 05/23/09 2:04 PM
MBFDFyre

Just a thought on the display side of things. Understandably, the ice cream melts within minutes of being put out. Why not get a "fake" scoup of ice cream? I am sure some company, some where makes them. Throw it on top of your waffle, drizzle your chocolate. Good to go. It may not look 100% like your actual product but I am sure most people will understand given the circumstances.

Thanks. I have actually thought about having an entire food model made from it. However, my research has come up fruitless. I don't know what it's really called and can't seem to find any information on having fake food made.

waydeg
  • Total Posts : 444
Re:Have You Seen Waffle Ice Cream Sandwiches? - Sat, 05/23/09 2:24 PM
seethesun

MBFDFyre

Thanks. I have actually thought about having an entire food model made from it. However, my research has come up fruitless. I don't know what it's really called and can't seem to find any information on having fake food made.

This makes me think of my trips to Japan - plastic (and sometimes areal) displays of their menu in cases out front of their place. Goes a long way when you can't read kanji or katakana. I know there are places that specialize in this sort of thing and food stylist are paid big bucks to get the perfect "bark" on ice cream. I swear I remember hearing they used frozen shortening to shoot instead of real ice cream but it would seem neither would stand up well to the heat.

seethesun
Re:Have You Seen Waffle Ice Cream Sandwiches? - Sat, 05/23/09 5:52 PM
waydeg

seethesun

MBFDFyre

This makes me think of my trips to Japan - plastic (and sometimes areal) displays of their menu in cases out front of their place. Goes a long way when you can't read kanji or katakana. I know there are places that specialize in this sort of thing and food stylist are paid big bucks to get the perfect "bark" on ice cream. I swear I remember hearing they used frozen shortening to shoot instead of real ice cream but it would seem neither would stand up well to the heat.

Well, you ever go to a restaurant and instead of their dessert menu being written they bring a tray with replicas of the desserts on it. That's what I was thinking about. I just assumed it was some type of mold made plastic, but it would have to be pretty expensive, especially if you are just having one or two pieces made from the one mold.

poutine
  • Total Posts : 8
Re:Have You Seen Waffle Ice Cream Sandwiches? - Sat, 05/23/09 6:40 PM
When I was a kid the local Woolworths had a vendor outside that sold waffle ice cream sandwiches. He made the waffles right there and had a brick of checkerboard ice cream that he would cut into slices..they were fresh and delicious. Haven't seen them since though. I was wondering if portability is a issue with a scoop of ice cream on a waffle..just curious..best of luck to you.  

seethesun
Re:Have You Seen Waffle Ice Cream Sandwiches? - Sat, 05/23/09 7:01 PM
poutine

When I was a kid the local Woolworths had a vendor outside that sold waffle ice cream sandwiches. He made the waffles right there and had a brick of checkerboard ice cream that he would cut into slices..they were fresh and delicious. Haven't seen them since though. I was wondering if portability is a issue with a scoop of ice cream on a waffle..just curious..best of luck to you.  

I am now leaning more toward sundaes than sandwiches. I wouldn't think it would be anymore of an issue than ice cream on a funnel cake.

canopyclubcafe
  • Total Posts : 27
Re:Have You Seen Waffle Ice Cream Sandwiches? - Sat, 05/23/09 9:11 PM
Dr of BBQ

Jack

Right on the money!

You need some high resolution pictures of
the product - take them with at least an
8 megapixel camera - then go to
http://wallhogs.com and have a couple of
posters printed up and mount them on
plywood or similar to stand up out front.

You might even take some pictures of
kids enjoying the desert and have life
size cut outs made to stand up outside.

Wallhogs is fairly inexpensive considering
what you get.

Then, do the samples thing where you
get your crowd involved in the tasting
experience.

If you can make it an event, people will
not only remember, but tell their friends
and you'll have more business than you
can handle.

Just a couple of things to think about.

Michael

delphi
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:Have You Seen Waffle Ice Cream Sandwiches? - Tue, 06/26/12 7:19 PM
I also experienced the vender selling those great ice cream sandwiches outside Woolworths's
store.   Only difference, I was in Stamford Connecticut, the waffles were square and premade.
They used the strawberry,vanilla and chocolate. The sandwiches were premade and wrapped
in a waxed paper sheet. He traveled with a ice cream freezer on wheels.  I checked 2-3 yrs ago
looking for info to maybe get a form ,mold or waffle iron. I beleive the company that made the
mold or iron was the largest company in the US they made the cake ice cream cones and said they
made more money on cones. Sooooooo, I just dropped the search.  I'd love to
try making a good ice cream sandwich like that, It was the highlight of my growing up!  You
are the only person I have heard of who  remembers that! I'm over 60 yrs old!
<message edited by delphi on Tue, 06/26/12 7:29 PM>

CCinNJ
  • Total Posts : 7762
Re:Have You Seen Waffle Ice Cream Sandwiches? - Tue, 06/26/12 7:57 PM
I remember the little ice cream sandwiches. They sold them at the corner store here. They were cute...and when my Mother didn't want to see me for a few hours in the summer...she made sure I had plenty of money for special treats! Upgrades from the normal Hershey's root beer popsicles.

I'm sure there's a way to make a barrier on a normal waffle iron to build the right dimensions..

CCinNJ
  • Total Posts : 7762
Re:Have You Seen Waffle Ice Cream Sandwiches? - Wed, 06/27/12 10:36 PM
This is an interesting pan...

http://www.gygi.com/shop/...ich-pan-2105-0325.html