File Or Okra Gumbo?

Greyghost
  • Total Posts : 1336
  • Reward points : 0
File Or Okra Gumbo? - Fri, 05/15/09 8:09 PM
For me the choice is simple, I usually go with okra, partly because I like it and partly because of the safrole controversy  regarding file powder. I do think the safrole controversy is overblown though.

I do think okra is a healthy vegetable, thickens better than file and for my taste generally more enjoyable in a gumbo. That's just my opinion though. What do you do and why?

ann peeples
  • Total Posts : 8317
Re:File Or Okra Gumbo? - Fri, 05/15/09 8:37 PM
I like both...add okra when cooking my gumbo, and file sprinkled on top when its done...

rouxdog
  • Total Posts : 1421
Re:File Or Okra Gumbo? - Fri, 05/15/09 8:43 PM
I enjoy gumbo. Made many requested pots for family and friends....
What is safrole??????? I use okra always, for texture as well as flavor. Always, file is available table side along with chopped onion, hot sauce, crackers and french bread for sopping. Occasionally near finishing, I'll add file to the pot if I believe it will enhance the meal.

I feel much the same about a bowl of Texas Red, Chili that is. I prepare an award winning pot! Oh, the purist approve of it and speak highly. However, I prepare a pan of beans on the side for those who wish to enjoy. I've found, interestingly, many of the eaters slip in a few beans in their bowl. 
Bottom line, prepare a meal to be enjoyed and don't sweat the opinions of the so called purists. 

rouxdog
  • Total Posts : 1421
Re:File Or Okra Gumbo? - Fri, 05/15/09 9:01 PM
OK. Curiousity overcame me! I googled "safrole". Seems it is a chemical found in various plants including, not only sassafras, also basil, cinnamon as well as others. The FDA seems to have "detected weak levels of this carcinigen in rats" found in the sassafras plant. Yes my friends, our tax dollars made this discovery! That explains why Cajuns eventually die... There goes the rootbeer floats!!!!!!!!!
I plan to NOT slow down enjoying my stash of file powder!
<message edited by rouxdog on Fri, 05/15/09 9:11 PM>

russ2304
  • Total Posts : 261
Re:File Or Okra Gumbo? - Sat, 05/16/09 10:39 AM
Greyghost

For me the choice is simple, I usually go with okra, partly because I like it and partly because of the safrole controversy  regarding file powder. I do think the safrole controversy is overblown though.

I do think okra is a healthy vegetable, thickens better than file and for my taste generally more enjoyable in a gumbo. That's just my opinion though. What do you do and why?

Here Here and yes to the okra-----------never found much flavor in file---nor amazing supposed thickening power. Do both with a good dark roux and okra.

Russ

mar52
  • Total Posts : 7609
Re:File Or Okra Gumbo? - Sun, 05/17/09 10:11 PM
My double award winning gumbo has neither.

I realize it's really not gumbo at that point but with a sprinkling of file it's the real deal.

Truth being... I like both, either or neither.

PapaJoe8
  • Total Posts : 5504
Re:File Or Okra Gumbo? - Fri, 05/22/09 10:44 AM
I like both but probably Gunbo best. I like to put some Boudan sausage in the Gumbo I cook.
Joe

mbrookes
  • Total Posts : 1350
Re:File Or Okra Gumbo? - Fri, 05/22/09 2:21 PM
Okra with seafood gumbo and file with chicken/sausage.

cy_dugas
  • Total Posts : 199
Re:File Or Okra Gumbo? - Sat, 06/20/09 1:47 PM
I recently watched a program on LPB (and unfortunately forgot the name) where gumbo was cooked with only shrimp and file'.  No roux!!!!!  Being from Cajun country and having eaten my share of gumbo, with or without okra or file', I have always eaten roux based gumbos.  The program was set south of the  Thibodeaux/Houma area of LA.  Has anyone ever heard of this?  The folks on the program claimed it was an original native american dish, and I tend to believe them.

cy

agnesrob
  • Total Posts : 1790
Re:File Or Okra Gumbo? - Sat, 06/20/09 2:06 PM
I think I answered this on another thread but File for chicken & sausage gumbo and okra for shrimp or seafood gumbo.

Foodbme
  • Total Posts : 9575
Re:File Or Okra Gumbo? - Sat, 06/20/09 3:34 PM
OK dare Rouxdog, mar52, PapaJoe8 et all ya'll,
Let's cough up dem dare recipes for all dat good Gumbo you be braggin' on. As us here good Cajun Food Lovers says, "Da proof ain't in da puddin, da proof is in da GUMBO!"  I Gar-on-tee!

ann peeples
Re:File Or Okra Gumbo? - Sat, 06/20/09 5:35 PM
CajunKing has an awesome gumbo recipe, as well.

Foodbme
Re:File Or Okra Gumbo? - Sat, 06/20/09 11:37 PM
annpeeples

CajunKing has an awesome gumbo recipe, as well.

OK, so let's see dat dare Awesome Gumbo Recipe. If it's been posted on here, den give us da link to go get it, fo sure!

ann peeples
Re:File Or Okra Gumbo? - Sun, 06/21/09 3:10 PM
Creole Gumbo, cajunking style

1 stick butter
1 cup chopped onions
1/2 cup chopped green peppers
1/2 cup chopped red peppers
5 cloves garlic, minced
3 quarts stock (chicken or turkey)
2 green onions chopped
1 TBSP worcestershire sauce
3 TBSP Tabasco
4 cleaned crabs, quartered
2 pounds peeled shrimp
2 dozen oysters
1 pound andouille, cut into bite size pieces
1/2 cup chopped chicken gizzards
file (My puter don't have one of those fancy ' marks to put on the e)
Roux

In a large pot saute the vegetables in the butter, add all ingredients except seafood.

Make a roux, a nice melted chocolate color

add to the above for the desired thickness

Cook 1 hour. Add seafood. Cook 30 minutes more

Serve over rice with a dash of file

I have made this recipe, with a few ommisions-i didnt have any gizzards, and I had leftover King Crab legs so I threw the meat from them in.I also had leftover turkey so i threw that in, as well as the rest of what Cajunking suggests.CK didnt use okra, but because I like it, I threw those in. Maybe my version wasnt authentic, but it was sure gobbled up!!! But his version is sure a sure fire start to a good meal!!

myterry2
  • Total Posts : 526
Re:File Or Okra Gumbo? - Sun, 06/21/09 3:30 PM
Receipe is awesome...no okra.

Foodbme
Re:File Or Okra Gumbo? - Sun, 06/21/09 11:42 PM
annpeeples

Creole Gumbo, cajunking style

1 stick butter
1 cup chopped onions
1/2 cup chopped green peppers
1/2 cup chopped red peppers
5 cloves garlic, minced
3 quarts stock (chicken or turkey)
2 green onions chopped
1 TBSP worcestershire sauce
3 TBSP Tabasco
4 cleaned crabs, quartered
2 pounds peeled shrimp
2 dozen oysters
1 pound andouille, cut into bite size pieces
1/2 cup chopped chicken gizzards
file (My puter don't have one of those fancy ' marks to put on the e)
Roux

In a large pot saute the vegetables in the butter, add all ingredients except seafood.

Make a roux, a nice melted chocolate color

add to the above for the desired thickness

Cook 1 hour. Add seafood. Cook 30 minutes more

Serve over rice with a dash of file

I have made this recipe, with a few omissions-i didn't have any gizzards, and I had leftover King Crab legs so I threw the meat from them in.I also had leftover turkey so i threw that in, as well as the rest of what Cajunking suggests.CK didn't use okra, but because I like it, I threw those in. Maybe my version wasn't authentic, but it was sure gobbled up!!! But his version is sure a sure fire start to a good meal!!

May Zeus or Rex or whatever is da King of Mardi Gras bless you my child

Dat Dare Damn Recipe look like da real deal! No doubt about it Cheriee! You done good to share dis here recipe wit all of us! You be Guar-in teed a spot with all da Coon Asses in that Big Fais do do in Da Heavens! Fo Sure!

Pirate Paul
  • Total Posts : 23
Re:File Or Okra Gumbo? - Thu, 07/30/09 12:13 PM
If it ain't got okra, it ain't gumbo.  If it ain't got roux, I was ready to say the same thing, until I tried Verta Mae Grosvenor's recipe (from her show on PBS TV, and in her book Vertamae Cooks, chapter 4, page 80;  Leah Chase, in Family of The Spirit Cookbook, chapter 8, page 212) talks about it at length).  Vertamae uses no roux.  Her recipe is a "none's better," for my taste, and there is no reason to deviate from it.  There must be a million others I haven't trried yet, but why depart the best?  If it works, don't fix it.  I have made this one again and again, and it works every time.