Baah Ben, John A and Joerogo at the Rockin' Ribz Smokehouse, Sanford, Fl

joerogo
  • Total Posts : 4468
  • Reward points : 0
Baah Ben, John A and Joerogo at the Rockin' Ribz Smokehouse, Sanford, Fl - Thu, 06/4/09 10:15 PM
(Text by Baah Ben)

On my recommendation, John A, JoeRogo and I met at The Rockin' Ribz Smokehouse, formerly the Rib Ranch, the place is now owned by another wonderful young woman - Dawn. The place has not changed much since it was the Rib Ranch and that's a good thing. Dawn told us she still has Leroy, the Pit Master, employed. Smart move Dawn. Leroy has been doing this for over twenty years. Dawn has put up some interesting daily specials at very reasonable prices. We ordered from the main menu.

Rockin' Ribz Smokehouse
2545 S. French Ave.
Sanford, FL 32773
(407) 321-0090 

Outdoor seating fit for a "Rib Joint"

The Special Board is post by the drive-thru window

Rockin Ribz Owner, Dawn and John A

Here are "The Three Amigo's". 

The menu

We started off with a basket of deep fried corn nuggets, which is a house specialty. Crispy on the outside like a corn fritter, but nice and moist on the inside. The creamed corn center is moist and just sweet enough. Very good and made just like the former owner did them. 

Joe and I ordered the St. Louis platters that came with a choice of two sides. You could choose from mac n' cheese, fried sweets, collards, slaw, baked beans, green beans n pork, corn on the cob, fries and a tater salad.

JohnA ordered the lunch sized rib platter..Still plenty of food.

Our ribs, perfectly trimmed, were very, very good. Excellent smoke flavor, perfectly cooked, very tender, and juicy. There are 3 table sauces to choose from. The baked beans were very good. The only criticism was with the mac n' cheese. We like the baked version with the cheesy crust on top

The service was excellent. thanks to Tina, our waitress. Our tea and water glasses were constantly topped off. The food came out fast and hot. 

There is a homemade banana pudding (they were out of it today) and several cakes that are made for them including a Red Velvet and a Jack Daniel cake.
Ben had no taker to help share a dessert so we passed - John and Joe are watching their waistlines. Joe said something about having recently downed 2 lbs of meat in 30 minutes at a deli in Edison, NJ. John never eats much....

If you are in the area and looking for some good "Q" you will enjoy this place. An indy place that deserves our support. Incidentally, the restaurant just got a very favorable review from the Orlando Sentinel's food critic. Rockin Ribz is a good one.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertainme...,5623601.column

This is the wood pile behind the restaurant, they're really smokin' here.

joerogo: A great time with two extraordinary gentlemen. It was great to finally meet-up with John A. I really enjoy his passion for cooking, especially grillin'. Baah Ben may be retired, but he still has a great passion for the industry. It's fun watching him dissect the operation and then explaining exactly why the food is so good. When these two guys open up a restaurant, I want to be a stockholder.

We had a great conversation with Rockin' Ribz owner, Dawn. She really cares about the quality of food leaving her kitchen. And it shows, the Q was excellent. The service here was second to none. Fast and extremely friendly.

I enjoyed getting away from the Orlando Resort Area and having some good Q, with two great friends. Although, I can't believe both of these guys missed the Senior Citizen Discount posted on the menu!
<message edited by joerogo on Thu, 06/4/09 10:26 PM>

RibDog
  • Total Posts : 593
Re:Baah Ben, John A and Joerogo at the Rockin' Ribz Smokehouse, Sanford, Fl - Thu, 06/4/09 10:30 PM
Great post, Joe.  Looks like you all had a great time.

John

carolina bob
  • Total Posts : 3420
Re:Baah Ben, John A and Joerogo at the Rockin' Ribz Smokehouse, Sanford, Fl - Thu, 06/4/09 11:06 PM
This place looks really great. I want that lunch-sized rib platter!

MacTAC
  • Total Posts : 425
Re:Baah Ben, John A and Joerogo at the Rockin' Ribz Smokehouse, Sanford, Fl - Fri, 06/5/09 12:11 AM
Nice photos! Ribs look really good...

ann peeples
  • Total Posts : 8317
Re:Baah Ben, John A and Joerogo at the Rockin' Ribz Smokehouse, Sanford, Fl - Fri, 06/5/09 11:23 AM
Lord almighty!I saw a pic of my friend John!!And all the handsome men with him...oh, the food looks good..

Nancypalooza
  • Total Posts : 3778
Re:Baah Ben, John A and Joerogo at the Rockin' Ribz Smokehouse, Sanford, Fl - Fri, 06/5/09 1:34 PM
Awesome!  Those ribs look delicious.  And BB dude, you get around!

agnesrob
  • Total Posts : 1790
Re:Baah Ben, John A and Joerogo at the Rockin' Ribz Smokehouse, Sanford, Fl - Sat, 06/6/09 8:27 AM
That food looks so good! And you guys don't look old enough to care about the Senior discount! Thanks for sharing your get together.

mar52
  • Total Posts : 7609
Re:Baah Ben, John A and Joerogo at the Rockin' Ribz Smokehouse, Sanford, Fl - Sat, 06/6/09 1:56 PM
You guys sure know to have fun!

Baah Ben
  • Total Posts : 3026
Re:Baah Ben, John A and Joerogo at the Rockin' Ribz Smokehouse, Sanford, Fl - Sat, 06/6/09 3:56 PM
Ahh Agnes...I don't think anyone is 65...YET!  Joe is very young.  John?  You'll have to ask him...I'm really really close....Hey, actually I can't wait..I got 8 months to go and I'm done with my $500 per mo health insurance!  When you are nearing 65, you actually do want to get there for health insurance premium reasons.  I'll be saving at least 30% a year with the same, if not better, coverage..     

Thanks ladies from all of us for your nice thoughts...

Incidently, if you like C&W music, there's a pretty popular nightclub right down the road heading into downtown Sanford.  Lots of good music.
<message edited by Baah Ben on Sat, 06/6/09 3:58 PM>

John A
  • Total Posts : 4295
Re:Baah Ben, John A and Joerogo at the Rockin' Ribz Smokehouse, Sanford, Fl - Sat, 06/6/09 5:03 PM
Joe is a whippersnapper, BB is a little ahead of him, and 65 is in my rear view mirror.

Buffalo Tarheel
  • Total Posts : 492
Re:Baah Ben, John A and Joerogo at the Rockin' Ribz Smokehouse, Sanford, Fl - Sat, 06/6/09 5:16 PM
Gentlemen,

This is an outstanding report.  Thanks so much for taking the time to show all the great barbeque.  You also have captured the essence of Roadfood and the great company you can find with other folks with the same interests.  It is good to hear that the new owner has not tried to make changes that only hurt the restaurant.  Hopeful of visiting this place and others whenever I can find a reason to be in Florida.