Aldi's GT cola .... but wait, there's more !!!

Double Cheeseburger
2009/06/14 14:00:12
I shop at Aldi's at least once a week and everything I have tried so far has been good to very good. I decided this past week to try their GT cola for the first week. The soda came in a 24 pack of 12 ounce cans for $4.49 so I figured what the heck, let's try it. 

First off, it tastes a lot different when it's warm and poured over ice verses ice cold from the fridge. Sooooo, I was sitting on the deck grilling out and decided to grab one and the taste finally hit me. I kept thinking it was a cross somewhere between Coke and Pepsi but it is not, it RC Cola !!! The can is even close in color and design to an RC Cola can. So after finishing that one, I had another and I really think it's RC. I know Aldi's contracts with companies all over the country and I am guessing GT cola is possibly RC Cola.

On a side note, their brand of peanut butter must be JIF, same smell, creaminess, flavor,  everything right down to the ingredients list to the word. Give it a try if you like JIF.

Dennis in Cary
cementhead
Cheeseburger
Re:Aldi's GT cola .... but wait, there's more !!! 2009/06/14 17:35:18
We like Aldi's grape soda.
drpep
Cheeseburger
Re:Aldi's GT cola .... but wait, there's more !!! 2009/06/14 21:26:04
  I had read somewhere a  long time ago that RC sold their syrup to private label soda bottlers. I was never able to find anything that confirmed or denied this. I  have noticed some private label colas taste like RC rather than Pepsi or Coke. I highly doubt RC would sell their syrup to private label bottlers. That is my opinion, maybe they do. Cott is a big producer of private label sodas.
 As for the peanut butter, check the bottom of the jar or wherever it is the production code is printed. Try and remember what you saw or write it down if you have one in the house. Next time you see Jif look for the production code. If it is similiar then it probably came from the same factory. I did this today with a can of Wegman's Chunky Chicken Noodle soup and the same with Sav-a-Lot Chicken soup. The production codes were similar so  the same company makes Wegman's and Sav-a-Lot soups. The ingrediants were slightyly different though.
 I may have posted this on Roadfood one time but I will again. Horseheads, NY was home to the largest food manufacturing plant under one roof. The A&P plant operated for many years until closing in the early 80's. I know several folks who worked there. They said they packaged more than just A&P brand labeled food. When the A&P spaghetti order was filled they switched boxes to whatever brand was to be run next and kept the line going. I was told that Hellmann's mayonaisse was made there. I did express my doubts that Hellmanns and A&P brand were the exact same but the guy who told me swore all they did was switch labels.
post edited by drpep - 2009/06/14 21:27:10
David_NYC
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Aldi's GT cola .... but wait, there's more !!! 2009/06/14 21:49:19
I doubt Compass Foods (A&P) made Hellmann's, unless it was overflow production. Back then, production was at Best Foods/CPC in Bayonne, NJ.

The big players in private soup are Morgan Foods, Bay Valley (the old Heinz Pittsburgh operation), and Venice Maid.
DLnWPBrown
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Aldi's GT cola .... but wait, there's more !!! 2009/06/15 00:41:56
drpep I just checked the codes and they are different. I will say though the JIF I have is the Simple JIF and note the regular JIF. It's pretty close to the regular, very close. When you look at the ingredients they are the same right down to using molasses in it. 

I still think the soda is RC though...... realllly close.

Dennis in Cary

Re:Aldi's GT cola .... but wait, there's more !!! 2009/06/15 10:01:45
Dennis, I've noticed that the Food Club brand sold here in WI (Piggly Wiggly) also tastes a lot like RC, but the house brand for the Roundy's chain of supermarkets tastes very different.

Brad
DLnWPBrown
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Aldi's GT cola .... but wait, there's more !!! 2009/06/15 10:06:43
Brad_Olsen that's interesting because the only place to find RC around here is at a Piggly Wiggly about 45 minutes from house in another county. We mainly go to this PW for the meats.

Dennis in Cary
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:Aldi's GT cola .... but wait, there's more !!! 2009/06/15 13:47:23
Brad-I have to agree with Piggly Wiggly's house brand of anything I have tried. I am not a soda drinker( although we wont discuss what i do drink!!!!) But their canned vegetables are good-as is the frozen, which I prefer.I worked for a Roundys chain for years, and before they sold out( to an investment firm)they had good items.
DLnWPBrown
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Aldi's GT cola .... but wait, there's more !!! 2009/06/17 22:19:16
I stopped by Aldi's today and they had the GT cola in 2 litre bottles for 65 cents. Hell of a deal in my book.

Dennis in Cary
kevincad
Cheeseburger
Re:Aldi's GT cola .... but wait, there's more !!! 2009/06/25 14:42:39
drpep

I had read somewhere a  long time ago that RC sold their syrup to private label soda bottlers. I was never able to find anything that confirmed or denied this. I  have noticed some private label colas taste like RC rather than Pepsi or Coke. I highly doubt RC would sell their syrup to private label bottlers. That is my opinion, maybe they do. Cott is a big producer of private label sodas.
 As for the peanut butter, check the bottom of the jar or wherever it is the production code is printed. Try and remember what you saw or write it down if you have one in the house. Next time you see Jif look for the production code. If it is similiar then it probably came from the same factory. I did this today with a can of Wegman's Chunky Chicken Noodle soup and the same with Sav-a-Lot Chicken soup. The production codes were similar so  the same company makes Wegman's and Sav-a-Lot soups. The ingrediants were slightyly different though.
 I may have posted this on Roadfood one time but I will again. Horseheads, NY was home to the largest food manufacturing plant under one roof. The A&P plant operated for many years until closing in the early 80's. I know several folks who worked there. They said they packaged more than just A&P brand labeled food. When the A&P spaghetti order was filled they switched boxes to whatever brand was to be run next and kept the line going. I was told that Hellmann's mayonaisse was made there. I did express my doubts that Hellmanns and A&P brand were the exact same but the guy who told me swore all they did was switch labels.

Hello there! I'm from Avoca, NY just north of Bath. I now live in the Atlanta, GA area! I remember the A&P plant. My uncle used to go there in the winter and they'd sell loaves and loaves of bread and hot dog, hamburger buns that may not have been just right, like didn't get sliced right, the bread bag didn't print right, etc. There were many brands in those boxes! You'd get a whole big box for next to nothing!