Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 61 to 95 of 95
jbs780
  • Total Posts : 43
  • Reward points : 0
Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives - Sun, 08/2/09 3:26 AM
 ''Anyone remember Bobby Flay's old partner?  I think his name is  Jack..He has a diner in Philadelphia at The Terminal Market.  That guy can cook, too.  Guy reminds me a little of Jack. ''

I think you are talking about Jack McDavid.  He's a hoot!

ChrisOC
  • Total Posts : 901
Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives - Sun, 08/2/09 8:31 AM
Birdhunter

I was just at HILLBILLY HOT DOGS in Lesage,WV.on the19th. The hot dog sauce was not good and I tried one of there burgers.The owner came over to me and told me it was voted the BEST BURGER in West Virgina. I wouldn't give it a vote, and Guy taste buds on his tongue must be wornen out.
This is just a junk hole with trash laying all over the place with very poor parking.
This is my fourth and last stops at the 3 D'S TV stops. I like watching his show, but no more trying those places out.
I was there on my motorcycle and meeting up with a riding group so I drove up there from Slade ,Kentucky to see what it was all about.

A perfect example of different strokes.  Compare the above to this.

http://www.hollyeats.com/Hillbilly.htm
<message edited by ChrisOC on Sun, 08/2/09 8:32 AM>

Captain Morgan
  • Total Posts : 503
Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives - Sun, 08/2/09 12:06 PM
Foodbme

Captain Morgan

I'm a mod on another food forum.  Let me say this.

I too thought the op was probably a rival or someone
with a beef with the owner of the joint.  Perhaps
that's not true.

I have noticed tons of obvious "this place is great = my place is great" and "that place stinks = my rival's place stinks, or = my
former employee stinks.  It's far more common on smaller boards.

But my biggest complaint is that everyone needs to realize that
opinions are like noses...everyone has one.  Just because you
don't like a chili sandwich doesn't mean it's not good....only
not good to you....others may love it.  McRibs are probably
the best example of a polarizing food.

But in a roadfood environment like this, I think it's key to note
that we, by definition, are looking for regional specialties.
So if you grew up with Cincy chili, you may not like the kind
of chili burger/sandwich you get in SC, but instead of saying
"it's terrible",  perhaps better verbiage like "I didn't like it because......" would be a more beneficial post.

I AM SICK AND TIRED OF ALL THIS POLITICAL CORRECTNESS BS!
If someone thinks a place stinks or they don't like it, let them say so. You don't need to agree with their opinion, but they have every right to express it anyway they care to. The only restrictions I would consider off-base is Swearing, Libelous or Slanderous language.

Roadfood is about OPINIONS. People on here don't need to justify or explain their opinions. If they do, that's great--If they don't, it doesn't matter. Agree or Disagree, your option.

We don't live in a kinder, gentler world. All you PC people gather somewhere, form a circle, hold hands and sing Kumbaya!

At least you qualified your opinion.  An unqualified opinion is worthless.

the grillman
  • Total Posts : 624
Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives - Sun, 08/2/09 1:22 PM
I watch the show on ocassion, and while the host is a little over the top, that is part of what attracts viewers. 

I've been to a couple of the places he's talked about, and found them fine.

As for those who say the places don't rate their press clippings, well, everyone is entitled to their opinion.    And the show's last part of their title advertises dives, so they only way they could dissappoint would be if they showcased a white tablecloth place.

For those who complain, perhaps the show isn't best for you; even my own arteries clog sometimes watching the show, but I do enjoy it.

Twinwillow
  • Total Posts : 4896
Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives - Sun, 08/2/09 2:09 PM
Whether you're a fan of Guy's or not, you'll have to agree, he was born to do this.
He was, and still is, and probably always be, the most successful, "Next Food Network Star".
<message edited by Twinwillow on Mon, 08/3/09 1:12 AM>

Davydd
  • Total Posts : 6222
Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives - Sun, 08/2/09 2:41 PM
You have to understand the show is entertainment. If they show it they accentuate the positive. It is in no way a critical review. I'm sure at a few places they might say to themselves that they would have been better off not bothering, but assuming budget constraints means they have to anyway. On the other hand, maybe they have disposed of a few clunkers already in the can but it would not have been because the food tasted bad. We'll never really know.

Again, it is entertainment. If you are watching for a critical review or a food endorsement then you are missing the point. The point is entertainment and the more interesting the place appears on TV the better the entertainment.

Captain Morgan
Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives - Sun, 08/2/09 4:00 PM
Bingo

cy_dugas
  • Total Posts : 199
Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives - Sun, 08/2/09 4:46 PM
I enjoy the show.  It's NOT a cooking show.  As others have pointed out, it's entertainment.  While I would probably try some of the places Guy tries, I know from what I see that I probably wouldn't like some of the food as much as he seems to.   I just enjoy watching his enjoyment of the experience. 

Foodbme
  • Total Posts : 9552
Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives - Sun, 08/2/09 11:21 PM
Captain Morgan

Foodbme

Captain Morgan

I'm a mod on another food forum.  Let me say this.

I too thought the op was probably a rival or someone
with a beef with the owner of the joint.  Perhaps
that's not true.

I have noticed tons of obvious "this place is great = my place is great" and "that place stinks = my rival's place stinks, or = my
former employee stinks.  It's far more common on smaller boards.

But my biggest complaint is that everyone needs to realize that
opinions are like noses...everyone has one.  Just because you
don't like a chili sandwich doesn't mean it's not good....only
not good to you....others may love it.  McRibs are probably
the best example of a polarizing food.

But in a roadfood environment like this, I think it's key to note
that we, by definition, are looking for regional specialties.
So if you grew up with Cincy chili, you may not like the kind
of chili burger/sandwich you get in SC, but instead of saying
"it's terrible",  perhaps better verbiage like "I didn't like it because......" would be a more beneficial post.

I AM SICK AND TIRED OF ALL THIS POLITICAL CORRECTNESS BS!
If someone thinks a place stinks or they don't like it, let them say so. You don't need to agree with their opinion, but they have every right to express it anyway they care to. The only restrictions I would consider off-base is Swearing, Libelous or Slanderous language.

Roadfood is about OPINIONS. People on here don't need to justify or explain their opinions. If they do, that's great--If they don't, it doesn't matter. Agree or Disagree, your option.

We don't live in a kinder, gentler world. All you PC people gather somewhere, form a circle, hold hands and sing Kumbaya!

At least you qualified your opinion.  An unqualified opinion is worthless.

CAPTAIN M,
You STILL don't get it!
NO ONE needs to qualify their opinions!
Opinions can be qualified if a person chooses to do so--------or not!
Opinions are nothing more than how a person thinks or feels about something.
People do not need to qualify, justify OR explain how they think or feel about a subject.
You stated, "An unqualified opinion is worthless." No, IT's NOT. We can learn from someone's opinions.
We can agree or disagree, but we can learn something from others opinions. 
Why do you think major research companies conduct OPINION POLLS?????
They earn millions of $$$$$ asking people their OPINIONS about everything under the Sun.
To  major research companies and their clients:
Perceptions are based on Opinions!
Perceptions are Reality! 
Therefore, Opinions are Reality! 

The Republican Party sends me "Opinion Surveys" all the time asking me about my "Opinion" on on how badly the Democrats are screwing up the Country---and I give them my "Opinion". 
They don't ask me to Quantify my "Opinions!
They don't care how I arrive at my "Opinions". 

Don't confuse Facts with Opinions.
FACTS NEED TO BE QUALIFIED----OPINIONS DO NOT!

School is Dismissed!
Prof. Foodbme
<message edited by Foodbme on Sun, 08/2/09 11:32 PM>

Captain Morgan
Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives - Mon, 08/3/09 12:11 PM
Man who argue with noodlehead like train with square wheels...get nowhere, very fast.

donw9876
  • Total Posts : 289
Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives - Mon, 08/3/09 2:13 PM
Re: qualified opinions. I say, if you say something is great or bad, say why. Explain what your criteria for judgement is.

I don't consider any strong opinion in itself to be a bannable offense but a review that just says "good" or "bad" says nothing informative and may as well not have been posted.

A star rating (0-5 stars) would actually be more useful than just saying "bad" or "good".

IE: I still have no idea why the guy thinks that the "their advertised Chili burger was really a horrible sloppy joe". Maybe I LIKE sloppy joes. But in what exact way IS the chili burger a "horrible sloppy joe?"

So the OP's first comment has no value to me at all. Same goes for unqualified opinions I see on sites like yahoo local where someone rants about how great or how crappy some place is.

It comes down to writing skills, which some people won't develop in their writing. Explain *why*. Or don't bother posting.

You can, free speech wise, but you aren't getting a point across when you just gush either way. IMHO.

Foodbme
Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives - Tue, 08/4/09 12:31 AM
Captain Morgan

Man who argue with noodlehead like train with square wheels...get nowhere, very fast.

You've obviously been drinking too much of your namesake. What the Hell are you talking about?

1bbqboy
  • Total Posts : 4542
Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives - Tue, 08/4/09 12:36 AM

Foodbme
Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives - Tue, 08/4/09 1:09 AM
bill voss

What the Hell s this supposed to mean? Don't get the connection??

enginecapt
  • Total Posts : 3486
Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives - Tue, 08/4/09 1:57 AM
Charlie Chan... king of the inscrutable aphorism.

"Man can more safely search for gold if world think he dig ditch."

<message edited by enginecapt on Tue, 08/4/09 2:01 AM>

Foodbme
Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives - Tue, 08/4/09 2:26 AM
enginecapt

Charlie Chan... king of the inscrutable aphorism.

"Man can more safely search for gold if world think he dig ditch."

OK--- Now I get it! Couldn't tell who it was in the picture posted.  I spent many Saturday afternoons in our local theatre back in the 50's watching Charlie Chan movies & Serials.

One of Charlie's more famous Quotes - "Man who fly upside down, bound to have crack up!"[lol]  

mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15062
Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives - Tue, 08/4/09 9:26 AM
Let's make an attempt to get this thread back on its original course, please.

My one criticism of the show is the constant use of "quick Clips" to present as much info (visually) as they can in as short a time span. I admit that at my age I tend to need more than 'reflex-time' to absorb the scene in any particular 'clip'. However it would be much more comforting and relaxing to watch his kitchen antics if they were not hacked, cut, and edited into less than 4 second pieces. Some 'quickies' are ok, but these never stop...except for his opening "drive-into-the-parking lot", and his 'goodbye' at the end.
  I seldom watch a 'whole' 30 minute show simply because I grow tired of running to keep up his pace.
<message edited by mayor al on Tue, 08/4/09 9:28 AM>

billyboy
  • Total Posts : 2363
Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives - Tue, 08/4/09 11:40 AM
@theMayor-I hear what you're saying with the quick clips and fast edits.  I think a lot of these places look great and probably have great food and an experience to match, but I was on the Chowhound boards not too long ago and someone asked where they could find a diner in NYC with the same kind of character and vibe that many of the ones that were on DDD.  I responded that while I do like the show and it inspires me to check out some of these places, watching it is like watching Sprite commercial.  The people in the ads are watching and ad themselves where everyone is drinking soda and having a blast while cool music plays in the background.  Cut to the two guys on the sofa drinking the same soda, saying, "Maybe I put too much ice in mine". 

The point is that TV and creative editing makes lots of things look cooler and more exciting than they may be in real life.  I doubt there will be any theme music when I enter a diner and witty banter all the time.  DDD is a heightened sense of reality and it helps to understand that before visiting a place and expecting the same type of hip, cool experience. 

russ2304
  • Total Posts : 261
Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives - Tue, 08/4/09 11:51 AM
Billy Boy  you have hit the nail squarely on the head! In this era of "nonreality" reality tv a lot of folks out there have a distorted vision of real life versus tv life. Always hope for the best but..................................!

Russ

NYPIzzaNut
  • Total Posts : 3127
Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives - Tue, 08/4/09 11:57 AM
Sometimes watching the boob tube can really ruin reality.

Twinwillow
  • Total Posts : 4896
Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives - Tue, 08/4/09 12:17 PM
I've gotta agree with the Mayor on this one. Sometimes, I want to yell out, slow down!

enginecapt
  • Total Posts : 3486
Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives - Tue, 08/4/09 1:19 PM
DDD is aimed at the MTV generation... in other words, the attention span challenged. I can't watch it.

mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15062
Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives - Tue, 08/4/09 1:20 PM
 I have yet to enjoy a meal in a Diner that has as much cleavage at the tables as does DDD!! Not that I would not enjoy a meal as a result of that(or lack of 'it'!).  Cleavage would be an un-ordered side dish to a good meal !!

Please don't ask for further definition !
<message edited by mayor al on Tue, 08/4/09 2:18 PM>

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives - Tue, 08/4/09 1:24 PM
Clevage is a new one on me.

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives - Tue, 08/4/09 1:26 PM
enginecapt

DDD is aimed at the MTV generation... in other words, the attention span challenged. I can't watch it.

The boom tube almost always is for the lowest common denominator in the population.

Foodbme
Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives - Tue, 08/4/09 1:26 PM
mayor al

I have yet to enjoy a meal in a Diner that has as much clevage at the tables as does DDD!! Not that I would not enjoy a meal as a result of that(or lack of 'it'!).  Clevage would be an un-ordered side dish to a good meal !!

Please don't ask for further definition !

Clevage?? That's an instrument used by Butchers to chop meat isn't it?

trzhotel
  • Total Posts : 136
Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives - Tue, 08/4/09 1:49 PM
The lighting and camera work on DDD always impresses me. They only take about 40 hours of footage over two days with several cameras and cut it down into roughly ten minute segments.

I always imagine they could do a segment at a morgue and make it look like a super-exciting hip and weird place to eat.

Foodbme
Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives - Tue, 08/4/09 11:50 PM
OK. Y'All,
We need for just ONE of the Proprietors of one of these establishments on DDD to come forward and tell us the TRUTH of what all was involved in the production of the Episode of their fine establishment! I'd be willing to bet they had to sign a Confidentiality Agreement not to disclose the details of the filming of their business so other networks could not copy their techniques and format for producing segments on their network, i.e. The Travel Channel & others.

UncleVic
  • Total Posts : 6025
Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives - Wed, 08/5/09 12:09 AM
Since I've moved to Florida, my favorite watering hole has been the Havana Hideout in Lake Worth. Go in from 5 to 7pm on weekdays and get a 16oz. draft for a buck. Major bargain in this neck of the woods.  So I go there one day, Guys cartoon face is airbrushed at the entrance of the door. WT? Inside there was pictures of him and the staff..  I friggin missed it.. He spent a day there filming an episode. Finally caught the episode a couple weeks ago, and boy, did the film crew miss the ambiance. The bar seats maybe 8 to 10 people inside.. They never showed this. Most people hang outside though, but still they didn't show the layout that one would appreciate. The actual kitchen is a catering truck.. Pretty sweet actually!

HollyDolly
  • Total Posts : 1065
Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives - Wed, 03/24/10 11:07 AM
I know the show came to the San Antonio area.Guy visited Texas pride BBQ out in Adkins,Tx,east of San Antonio near St.Hedwig, a town founded over 100 years ago, by early Polish settlers.He also visited TipTop Cafe, on Fredricksburg Road in San Antonio. Been to both places myself, long before this show.
I think people can say if they like a place or they don't. Everyone has different taste buds. Sometimes too, i guess posters feel that when some of these places get on tv, things change,like the food, and maybe not for the better.And it does happen sometimes. I haven't been down to Texas Pride in awhile, so i don't know how if any the place has changed since being on tv.But you would have to go out looking for it ,since it's out in the country,just like Breiztke's Station which is a cafe out in New Berlin,but it hasn't been on tv.

battra
  • Total Posts : 103
Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives - Wed, 03/24/10 11:56 AM
He came to St. Louis and went to a place called Sweetie Pie's.  It's a soul food joint run by a woman who used to be a back up dancer for Tina Turner (who's also from the Lou).

That place is awesome.

ynotryme
  • Total Posts : 562
Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives - Wed, 03/24/10 12:58 PM
To  me it's the best show on the food network. I've seen a lot of places I would like to try tho since they did Fred's cafe in Ft Worth, you can't get in anymore.

Gumbo191
  • Total Posts : 71
Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives - Wed, 03/24/10 2:08 PM
To each his own, my position is that great roadfood is just as much about the experience as it is about the food. When I am in Atlanta I make sure to hit the Varsity in downtown because I enjoy the experience as much as the food. Sure I can get a better burger and dog elsewhere but where else can you order "Chili Cheese Steak, Rings, and Naked dog walking"?

carlton pierre
  • Total Posts : 2500
Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives - Fri, 03/26/10 7:05 AM
Excellent point, Gumbo.  It enhances the experience.

Heartbreaksoup
  • Total Posts : 407
Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives - Wed, 04/7/10 9:14 AM
I've been to several restaurants featured on D3 simply because they were featured there: Pizza Palace in Knoxville, Blue Moon Cafe in Baltimore, Red Arrow Diner in Manchester, and of course I've gone to the Marietta Diner here in Cobb County for years.  Not a disappointment among 'em.

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 61 to 95 of 95