Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Junior Burger
2009/06/16 18:42:27

After watching D3 I went out of the way to try Harolds in Gaffney SC. Their advertised Chili burger was really a horrible sloppy joe.
post edited by DennisinKazoo - 2009/06/17 09:38:16
Pancho
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives 2009/06/16 18:44:50
Thanks for the tip and sorry to hear that. I do really enjoy the show and hope this is but one exception to all the great places he visits.
sk bob
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives 2009/06/16 20:23:25
I would say that Gaffney,SC is out of the way from Kalamazoo.
not everything is as it seems on TV. the places are putting on their best face for the camera.
did you ever see sunglass neck eat something he didn't like?
Pancho
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives 2009/06/16 20:30:47
sk bob

I would say that Gaffney,SC is out of the way from Kalamazoo.
not everything is as it seems on TV. the places are putting on their best face for the camera.
"Sunglass Neck", now that's funny. I have a feeling he grates on you, but I think he's just dumb, jovial, and harmless. So far everything I've seen him eat is something I think I would like including the pig's ear sandwich. I like all those traveling food guys....Zimmern and especially "Got a light" Bourdain.

Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives 2009/06/16 20:34:57
I don't know how the producers select the shows to be featured on DD&D. I do know however, there are much better DD&D that would have been better represented than the shows that have been shown.
post edited by Twinwillow - 2009/06/16 20:39:46
hatteras04
Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives 2009/06/17 06:17:04
sk bob

I can think of twice.  One was the peanut butter hamburger at XXX.  He flat out said he didn't like it at all.  The other was menudo he tried somewhere I can't remember. 

MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives 2009/06/17 07:42:00
Minimal web site:  http://www.haroldsrestaurant.com/

Youtube videos of the D,D&D segment:

Part 1 -  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ0MxUqv74Y

Part 2 -  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaIXWIin6GI
post edited by MiamiDon - 2009/06/17 07:51:57
jman
Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives 2009/06/17 08:24:15
DennisinKazoo

After watching D3 I went out of the way to try Harolds in Gaffney SC. Their advertised Chili burger was really a horrible sloppy joe. Don't go there.

Looks like you also went out of your way to come here to criticize Harold's.

I've eaten at Harold's a number of times and while the chili burger isn't a traditional chili burger, it's not a "horrible sloppy joe".  Usually when I visit there, I have at least one of them with whatever else I order.  I've eaten as many as four of them at one sitting.  The dogs are good and so are the beans and cornbread.

Is it the best food I've ever eaten?  No, but I'll continue to stop at Harold's whenever I'm in the area.
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives 2009/06/17 08:50:13
DennisinKazoo

After watching D3 I went out of the way to try Harolds in Gaffney SC. Their advertised Chili burger was really a horrible sloppy joe. Don't go there.

So Dennis, what's the name of your restaurant in Gaffney, SC?
Davydd
Sirloin
Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives 2009/06/17 10:20:42
I just re-watched the YouTube videos MiamiDon linked. One might not like Chili Burger but Harold's was in every sense a DD&D worthy and Roadfood.com worthy place in every way and deserves featuring. If you disagree with that go back to the Fast Food and Franchise forum and continue on.
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives 2009/06/17 10:44:26
Davydd: They did state in the show that there is no hamburger patty in the sandwich.  Did you catch that the price was $1.25?  We need one of the SC crew to wander over there for a second opinion!
Davydd
Sirloin
Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives 2009/06/17 11:16:34
Yep, I caught the price. Not bad. It was unique in that it did have fully formed meatballs with the chili sauce made with the same meatballs but smashed up. That is different than just a straight sloppy Joe to me. Can't judge the taste from a show but that uniqueness alone, made from scratch, using a recipe continuously since 1932 handed down, and independent  makes it more than worthy. That and the fatback.

I'm getting a bit disgruntled with Roadfood.com when a place like this gets panned while many of the regulars have been dwelling in the fast food forum fawning interminably over the comparative merits of mediocre hamburgers. I feel the spirit seeping out.
Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle
Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives 2009/06/17 11:37:35
Perhaps DennisinKazoo just did not like the taste of these things.  It's not enough that the place is independently owned or old or quirky or interesting or whatever to be "Roadfood worthy."  The food also has to taste really, really good.
Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives 2009/06/17 11:43:35
enginecapt

DennisinKazoo

So Dennis, what's the name of your restaurant in Gaffney, SC?

jman
Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives 2009/06/17 12:14:04
Bruce Bilmes and Sue Boyle

Perhaps DennisinKazoo just did not like the taste of these things.  It's not enough that the place is independently owned or old or quirky or interesting or whatever to be "Roadfood worthy."  The food also has to taste really, really good.

As I said before, I've had the chili burger a number of times and I think Harold's is definitely roadfood worthy.  One person who finds their way here to criticize a restaurant, shouldn't be the arbiter of whether or not somethng is roadfood worthy.  I wouldn't classify Harold's chili burger as being gourmet fare, but I don't think that's a requirement for good roadfood.
Davydd
Sirloin
Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives 2009/06/17 12:33:18

Sorry, if you really, really believed that then you could throw out the Roadfood book. Unless the meat happened to be rancid I doubt the taste of the Chili Burger at Harold's would turn anyone away from it being roadfood. I'd bet it tasted fine. DennisinKazoo said nothing about the taste. He said it was nothing but a "horrible sloppy Joe". There was nothing deceiving about the show. What was Kazoo wanting? Gourmet? If so, then throw the Roadfood book away and start frequenting the finer independent dining restaurants that are not in the Roadfood book or very much in this forum.

Do you see anywhere in this definition that the food has to taste really, really good? Do you see anything in this definition that would disqualify Harold's? Are you seriously defending a newbie three post wonder that started a new thread with, IMO, an obvious axe to grind?

Roadfood means great regional meals along highways, in small towns and in city neighborhoods.

It is non-franchised, sleeves-up food made by cooks, bakers, pitmasters, and sandwich-makers who are America’s culinary folk artists.

Roadfood is almost always informal and inexpensive; and the best Roadfood restaurants are colorful places enjoyed by locals (and savvy travelers) for their character as well as their menu.

It is our intention that Roadfood.com will lead the way to:
  • great local color
  • the best regional specialties
  • unforgettable diners, celestial barbecue, and four-star pig-outs galore!

Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives 2009/06/17 12:40:24
This show is a repeat..I have seen it at least 3 times.  Would I call it a burger.  Not really and maybe that's why Dennis was unhappy.  Of course it's more like a sloppy Joe.  The place has been in business since 1932!  That's amazing. 

I love Sunglass Neck!  Good one SK!  DDD is my favorite food show of all time.  Yeah, if you read between the lines, you can tell if he's not crazy about some particular item.  But over-all, he's going to places that have been recommended by lots of people.  He's never gonna trash a place. 

He takes us up front and personal into the kitchens to see what's going at these roadfood places and we can make a judgement for ourselves.  I love to watch all the people cooking.

Guy has the greatest job in the country!  He is a terrific tv personality..The best on that network IMHO.  Only Tyler comes close.  He is also a pretty damn good cook (Guy's Bites) and businessman.  No recipes..he just cooks!  He's got the gift.  I think he still owns two restaurants.  I love the guy.

Anyone remember Bobby Flay's old partner?  I think his name is  Jack..He has a diner in Philadelphia at The Terminal Market.  That guy can cook, too.  Guy reminds me a little of Jack.  These guys are great.  None of this 30 minute meals for $2.00.  We're in love and Cooking together..Biology in the klitchen....I cannot stand most of FoodTV's lineup.   

Sunglass Neck..I like it!
post edited by Baah Ben - 2009/06/17 16:42:48
Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives 2009/06/17 12:44:39
Davydd
Do you see anywhere in this definition that the food has to taste really, really good?

No.
Davydd
Do you see anything in this definition that would disqualify Harold's?

No.
DavyddAre you seriously defending a newbie three post wonder that started a new thread with, IMO, an obvious axe to grind?

Yes.  I don't understand: where is his obvious axe to grind?

Regardless of the "definition" you cite, the food has to taste really, really good to be Roadfood.
Davydd
Sirloin
Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives 2009/06/17 12:51:58
I said IMO, In MY Opinion. Opinion. Do you understand that? The guy was trolling. Do you understand that? As far as food tasting really, really good I already answered. You could throw the Roadfood book away, IMO, if you truly believe that. Again, IMO, the food has to taste good but does not have to approach gourmet standards of eating. I was only quoting the standards "definition" set up in this forum I assume from the Sterns. If it is wrong, then fix it.
Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives 2009/06/17 12:53:19
jman
As I said before, I've had the chili burger a number of times and I think Harold's is definitely roadfood worthy. 

Excellent!
jman
One person who finds their way here to criticize a restaurant, shouldn't be the arbiter of whether or not somethng is roadfood worthy.

You are, of course, correct.  Nobody is "the arbiter."  Not a person making his first post, nor someone with thousands of posts.  Everyone has a voice, a chance to weigh in with their opinions.

jman
I wouldn't classify Harold's chili burger as being gourmet fare, but I don't think that's a requirement for good roadfood.

Again, you are, of course, correct: gourmet fare is not a requirement for good Roadfood.  I don't believe anyone has made that claim, though.

Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives 2009/06/17 12:59:35
Davydd

I said IMO, In MY Opinion. Opinion. Do you understand that? The guy was trolling. Do you understand that? As far as food tasting really, really good I already answered. You could throw the Roadfood book away, IMO, if you truly believe that. Again, IMO, the food has to taste good but does not have to approach gourmet standards of eating. I was only quoting the standards "definition" set up in this forum I assume from the Sterns. If it is wrong, then fix it.

No need to be nasty, Davydd.  He may or may not have been trolling.  I don't know.  Neither do you.  It's irrelevant.

Nobody has said the food has to "approach gourmet standards of eating."  You say the food has to taste good.  I said the food has to taste really, really good.  Is that really such a big difference?  Either way, DennisinKazoo said it did not taste good.

Greymo
Filet Mignon
Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives 2009/06/17 13:05:32
The orginal poster stated that he saw the show and then went out of his way to try it   So if this is true, why did he think it would be anything other than it was? 

Personally,  I thnk that no one should be telling  people not to go there.  All of us have different tastes and we are all not going to like the same things.  There was a hot dog place listed in the Stern's  very first book (and still listed).  The place has its admirerers but I thought  it was not anything that tasted "really, really good"  I certainly did not post about it  and would never tell anyone not to go there.

I am with Dave on this one  for sure. I would go there in a heartbeat  It says  "Roadfood" to me.

I bet that we never see this poster again.  I think there was a reason for his post that had nothing to do with the taste of anything.
Davydd
Sirloin
Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives 2009/06/17 13:17:25
He did not say it did not taste good. He said it was a "horrible sloppy Joe". If he watched the show where was the deception? Did he mean finding a meatball in his sandwich made a sloppy Joe horrible? Do you not wonder why a newbie gets online and the first post is slamming a restaurant not under discussion here but from a TV show? Do you really, really understand the term trolling? His was a classic.

As far as the difference in taste of food goes, it was YOU that started up countering me in that regard defending the troll against your own published definition. Really, really is a bit over the top, IMO, since it was ambiguous as to what he meant.
Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives 2009/06/17 13:19:39
Greymo

The orginal poster stated that he saw the show and then went out of his way to try it   So if this is true, why did he think it would be anything other than it was? 

Personally,  I thnk that no one should be telling  people not to go there.  All of us have different tastes and we are all not going to like the same things.  There was a hot dog place listed in the Stern's  very first book (and still listed).  The place has its admirerers but I thought  it was not anything that tasted "really, really good"  I certainly did not post about it  and would never tell anyone not to go there.

I am with Dave on this one  for sure. I would go there in a heartbeat  It says  "Roadfood" to me.

I bet that we never see this poster again.  I think there was a reason for his post that had nothing to do with the taste of anything.

DennisinKazoo (the original poster) never suggested anyone not go to Harolds.  He said what he ate was a "horrible sloppy Joe."  That's all.  One person's opinion.

Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives 2009/06/17 13:26:46
Davydd

He did not say it did not taste good. He said it was a "horrible sloppy Joe". If he watched the show where was the deception? Did he mean finding a meatball in his sandwich made a sloppy Joe horrible? Do you not wonder why a newbie gets online and the first post is slamming a restaurant not under discussion here but from a TV show? Do you really, really understand the term trolling? His was a classic.

As far as the difference in taste of food goes, it was YOU that started up countering me in that regard defending the troll against your own published definition. Really, really is a bit over the top, IMO, since it was ambiguous as to what he meant.

I understood what he said.  He didn't like the food he ate.  Very simple.

Is he a troll?  I have no idea.  But you are not the Roadfood traffic cop. 

Greymo
Filet Mignon
Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives 2009/06/17 13:32:27
I guess that you did not read his post before he "edited" it.

So here it is:

DennisinKazoo

jman
Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives 2009/06/17 13:43:08
Greymo

I guess that you did not read his post before he "edited" it.

So here it is:

DennisinKazoo

Interesting that he came back to edit his post, but hasn't bothered to offer anything else to this thread.
bigcat39
Junior Burger
Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives 2009/06/17 13:59:39
On the LTH forum (Chicago Culinary website, really fun BTW) There was an extensive discussion about Guy's visit to one of their landmark places... durned if I remember which one. They said it was quite the experience. And that he is a genuinely nice person to work with. The folks at Hillbilly Hotdog said the same thing. Not sure I can imagine a TV crew inside the busses, but they were!
DennisinKazoo
Junior Burger
Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives 2009/06/17 15:30:29
When I went to Harold's one other person was going with me but 4 others invited themselves. All were disappointed.  All of the food was tepid(warmish) and the service was slow. I do hope someone else goes there and evaluates it.
jman
Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives 2009/06/17 15:42:23
DennisinKazoo

When I went to Harold's one other person was going with me but 4 others invited themselves. All were disappointed.  All of the food was tepid(warmish) and the service was slow. I do hope someone else goes there and evaluates it.

It's nice that you've come back to actually add something to the conversation, but it was childish to sneak in and edit your OP.

I've been to Harold's probably seven or eight times and have never been disappointed by tepid food, or slow service.  I've been there when they were slow and I've been there when they were busy.

The chili burger usually has 2-3 whole meatballs, plus a lot of crumbled meatballs and all of it is in a nice chili sauce.  I usually eat mine with a little mustard, and chopped onion and what really makes them special is the steamed bun.  I've also had their dog with chili, onions, mustard, and slaw.  Their bean soup with the chow-chow is excellent.  I'm not big on cornbread, but the fellow who usually goes with me says it's pretty good.

Usually, there is a pretty good crowd there, and I'll bet you'll not hear any of them complain about tepid food or slow service.  I've never had a bad experience there.  The next time I go, I'll try to remember to bring my camera.

You know, people in the south have a tendency to pick up on how people are and maybe you and your friends didn't impress them much either.

Come to think of it, about the third time I was there, I got a dirty fork and once I turned the table over to get their attention, they brought me a clean one out pronto.
billyboy
Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives 2009/06/17 15:47:24
Dennis, based on what I saw on Triple D, I think the chili for the chili burger is supposed to be warm, not hot (in the same sense that most barbeque is warm and not hot).  How was the texture and flavor of the burger?  Did those attributes match what you had expected from the show?  From what I saw on the show, the sandwiches are a mix of crushed up "meatballs and whole/part meatballs.  Did you not get any of the whole "meatballs" in your sandwiches? 

DavyD, it didn't seem to me like Dennis "slammed" the place, just that he didn't like it. 

Dennis, I tend to get overly descriptive when I write Trip Reports and Reviews, but I really think it helps and goes a long way towards avoiding any confusion as to why I did/didn't like a place or a particular food.  It's possible that the very reason you felt it was a horrible sloppy joe may be the very same reason that it would attract someone else.  I just wanted to put that out there for future reference.  It really does help people to know where you are coming from and what your tastes are so they can gauge if their likes/dislikes run the same as yours and counter to them. 

Just my 2 cents.
jman
Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives 2009/06/17 15:57:29
billyboy

DavyD, it didn't seem to me like Dennis "slammed" the place, just that he didn't like it. 

When he initially wrote "don't go there", I'd consider that a slam.

jman
Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives 2009/06/17 15:59:17
I bet ol Dennis wouldn't much like Cincinnati chili either.
Davydd
Sirloin
Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives 2009/06/17 16:36:53
Right now I could care less about DennisinKazoo's opinion. He showed his stripes in sneakily editing his post and maybe throwing Bruce or Sue (they don't identify themselves) off. The original comment caused a flurry of negativity to Harold's and the OP before I said a thing. I just voiced my opinion that Harold's was indeed roadfood in my opinion and then Bruce and Sue piped that it was not roadfood unless it really, really tasted good basically refuting my opinion and defending the troll's opinion. Yes, troll whether he knew he was acting like one or not, and also obviously not understood by Roadfood.com team members whom I don't know if they are moderators or not because they don't identify themselves. I'm not a roadfood cop as was accused. I was expressing an opinion. That is what ticked me off. I guess my 4,000+ generally positive posts vs 4 negative is not welcome.
Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives 2009/06/17 16:50:27
Davydd, this has been Bruce posting.  I am not a moderator.  If that's important to you.

You expressed an opinion.  I disagree with it.  That's all.  Of course your posts are welcome here.  Why wouldn't they be?
jman
Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives 2009/06/17 16:58:41

Davydd, this has been Bruce posting.  I am not a moderator.  If that's important to you.

You expressed an opinion.  I disagree with it.  That's all.  Of course your posts are welcome here.  Why wouldn't they be?

Bruce, as an aside, I've always wondered why you and Sue don't post as individuals.  I've envisioned you all sitting in front of the keyboard and asking each other, "what do we think?"

When it says Bruce and Sue is it sometimes just one or the other of you and sometimes a collaborative effort?

Greymo
Filet Mignon
Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives 2009/06/17 17:01:22
DennisinKazoo

OK  so  tell us.  Did everyone think that the sandwich tasted terrible or was it just the concept that you did not enjoy?

Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives 2009/06/17 17:14:25
I can't figure out how he gets by with only charging $1.25.
Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives 2009/06/17 17:28:25
jmanBruce, as an aside, I've always wondered why you and Sue don't post as individuals.  I've envisioned you all sitting in front of the keyboard and asking each other, "what do we think?"

When it says Bruce and Sue is it sometimes just one or the other of you and sometimes a collaborative effort?

jman, in the forums it's always just me.  Sue can't be bothered.  The thing is, our main posting role here is writing reviews and Digest posts, and we do that together.  So we have a joint registration to reflect that.  I suppose I can create another identity with just my name, to be used for posting in the forums only, but that sounds like a whole lot of hassle.  And I don't really spend that much time on the forums anyway.  So Bruce and Sue it is.

PS It's the same with ayersian.  They rarely identify which one is speaking when they post, right? 
post edited by Bruce Bilmes and Sue Boyle - 2009/06/17 17:42:57
DennisinKazoo
Junior Burger
Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives 2009/06/17 18:47:31
I was raised on Cincinati chili minus the chocolate.
I edited my original comments after reading the site ground rules
DLnWPBrown
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives 2009/06/17 19:04:55
Well let me put in my two cents here asI have been a member for a few years now. 

I see both sides of the coin. DennisinKazoo didn't have a lot of things to say postive about his experience at Harold's and stated don't go there. But after reading the rules he came back and edited it out of his comments, for that and the fact he has posted 5 times as of 6:58 PM EDT, then that shows me he is probably not a troll. We won't know that until we see if he posts about other things. 

I also know that it seems things can get pretty petty up here over nothing. I got a snippy email a couple of days ago from a regular poster who was upset because I didn't follow the guide lines HE thought should have been followed. How many times up here have old timers gone off in a little bit of a different direction than a post started out on?

I say we all chill out and see what DennisinKazoo has to say next. Maybe he would like to tell us about some of the other places he has been. 

In my opinion Roadfood is where you find something that YOU enjoy, wherever it may be, or how ever it is cooked. Believe me when I tell you there are places I like/love that my wife ( the WP part of DLnWPBrown ) wouldn't kick a hog in the A$$ for and vice versa.

Dennis in Cary

doggydaddy
Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives 2009/06/17 20:03:29
===PS It's the same with ayersian.  They rarely identify which one is speaking when they post, right? ==

Yeah, but one has a beard...

mark

Davydd
Sirloin
Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives 2009/06/17 20:41:26
OK, it is clear it is Bruce. I'll assume that for now on.   No hard feelings.

I think I have Ayersian figured out. Chris is most likely here and Amy is probably on Facebook. We know Chris is not on Facebook.

As for you DennisinKazoo. You are probably shell shocked with the eruptions we have here from time to time. Act like a duck and let it flow off your back. I meant no personal harm in these exchanges and comments and for that I apologize. The Cincinnati chili remark, BTW, is a long running joke on Roadfood.com because it too has caused eruptions. Just a word of advice. Be positive with good experiences. That's what we want to know. Bad experiences will take care of themselves and maybe better not mentioned at all because of the axiom that  all publicity good or bad is better than no publicity at all. Despite my 4,000 postings there are probably more places I've been that I have never mentioned. I'm not immune. I too have went off on the handle on a place but I try not to. Oh, and don't put ketchup on a hot dog. You'll figure that one out soon enough and then know when we are serious and not.
sk bob
Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives 2009/06/17 20:42:05
Greymo Quote;

at least he came back & somewhat defended himself.
everybody should realize that ALL of us can scare some new posters away when we get going on something

post edited by sk bob - 2009/06/17 20:43:57
Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives 2009/06/17 22:57:55
DavyddI think I have Ayersian figured out. Chris is most likely here and Amy is probably on Facebook. We know Chris is not on Facebook.

I haven't quite got them worked out yet.  I thought I was able to tell which one wrote what, but when I ran it by them it turned out I didn't have a clue.  I assume Amy wrote most of the Iowa reports, Chris the Connecticut stuff while she was in Iowa.  But that's cheating - I can't tell from the writing.

Davydd
Sirloin
Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives 2009/06/17 23:01:13
Yep, hard to tell, but it was Chris who hand delivered to me a breaded pork tenderloin sandwich from the Dairy Sweet in Dunlap, IA outside Al's Breakfast in Minneapolis last March.
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives 2009/06/17 23:23:39
Davydd
As for you DennisinKazoo. You are probably shell shocked with the eruptions we have here from time to time. Act like a duck and let it flow off your back. I meant no personal harm

One needs strong skin to stay on this Roadfood site.... there are hot debates/eruptions going on plenty...
(that's what gives the site "character"...!)
I've had Roadfooder's send me daily e-mails (often 3 or 4 a day) with fun Roadfoody/life stuff...
then they've dropped me COLD, with no explanation given.... and these are people I've met with in person...
that still post on this site plenty...
so it's good to have lots of other stuff going on, too....

I also enjoy YELP.com very much........it's a great site to read tons of reviews on a restaurant, (many with pics)
even though it's less personal, I've never had  a "wierd" experience on there...  
(not yet, anyway)

mar52
Sirloin
Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives 2009/06/17 23:40:12
I appreciate the difference of opinion here at Roadfood.  It's interesting to see who likes or hates what.  It's also interesting to see how people interact.

Waves at Ellen!
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives 2009/06/17 23:55:37
mar52

I appreciate the difference of opinion here at Roadfood.  It's interesting to see who likes or hates what.  It's also interesting to see how people interact.

Waves at Ellen!

Hi Marlene,
I miss you!  (over here and on our Facebook!!)

Hey, DENNIS, the best thing IMO is for you to say WHY you thought it was HORRIBLE...
inquiring minds' want to know WHY????
(then your opinion would carry even MORE merit)

peace, everyone...

Birdhunter
Hamburger
Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives 2009/06/21 23:43:28
I have been to 3 of 3D'S reviews from watching on the food channel.
Florida, South Carolina and Alabama.
I know he gets paid well for saying how good there food is, but I think he has no taste buds.
The food was awful at 2 places and okay at another but nothing to write home about. 
2 of them were dirty.
I'm going to Hillbilly Hotdogs in West Virgina on my cycle next month to see that place and try something. Has any of you ROAD FOOD fans been there?
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives 2009/06/22 00:13:18
Bird hunter..Can you please tell us the names of the places didn't you like?  Thanks

I'll let someone else discuss his taste buds with you ...I'm too tired.
DLnWPBrown
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives 2009/06/22 00:14:27
Birdhunter

I have been to 3 of 3D'S reviews from watching on the food channel.
Florida, South Carolina and Alabama.
I know he gets paid well for saying how good there food is, but I think he has no taste buds.
The food was awful at 2 places and okay at another but nothing to write home about. 
2 of them were dirty.
I'm going to Hillbilly Hotdogs in West Virgina on my cycle next month to see that place and try something. Has any of you ROAD FOOD fans been there?

Birdhunter my wife and I both want so badly to go there, I think more to say we did than for the food. We will sometimes bust out in his web site song and crack up....... " He is the wennie man, he runs a wennie stand, he's got the best wennies in town....."

My wife actually started singing it the other day. Please make sure to post how it was when you get the chance.

Dennis in Cary
mjsneddon
Cheeseburger
Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives 2009/06/24 16:02:39
I guess I will add my two cents in on this topic.  Everyone is certainly entitled to his/her own opinion.  And I would not expect everyone to like and dislike the sames things.  If that were the case, things would be boring, to say the least.

I agree that it is preferable for people to focus on what is positive as they go through life.  To do otherwise means that you turn into one of my relatives (I won't say which one).

Have a good day.

Mike Sneddon
Mattoon, IL
badbyron722
Cheeseburger
Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives 2009/06/24 21:08:39
Ive been to Harolds a few times.Its usually pretty good.On Wednesdays its all you can eat pintos and cornbread.I usually get the chilli dogs when I go. Now please tell me you didnt drive all the way from Michigan just to try Harolds!
rainyday6
Hamburger
Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives 2009/08/01 09:51:22
I don't have cable and don't watch that show but I know one thing - my absolute favorite place to eat has been totally slammed since featured on his show, and not in a good way.  The owners have suspended all take out orders and are losing local business in droves, because we simply can't get in and out at lunch in time to make it back to work.  The place is located right off I-5.  I'm really afraid they are going to go under from the stress alone.  It's a tiny place and can't handle this stuff.  I thought it would die down by now, but it's getting worse.  They've also cut a lot of stuff off the menu.  Just a vent. 
Captain Morgan
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives 2009/08/01 10:19:26
I'm a mod on another food forum.  Let me say this.

I too thought the op was probably a rival or someone
with a beef with the owner of the joint.  Perhaps
that's not true.

I have noticed tons of obvious "this place is great = my place is great" and "that place stinks = my rival's place stinks, or = my
former employee stinks.  It's far more common on smaller boards.

But my biggest complaint is that everyone needs to realize that
opinions are like noses...everyone has one.  Just because you
don't like a chili sandwich doesn't mean it's not good....only
not good to you....others may love it.  McRibs are probably
the best example of a polarizing food.

But in a roadfood environment like this, I think it's key to note
that we, by definition, are looking for regional specialties.
So if you grew up with Cincy chili, you may not like the kind
of chili burger/sandwich you get in SC, but instead of saying
"it's terrible",  perhaps better verbage like "I didn't like it because......" would be a more beneficial post.

Amer5858
Junior Burger
Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives 2009/08/01 22:34:53
Personally i used to say negative things about places but somewhere along the road I changed my statement to say. "it is not for me"  i find different strokes for different folks.  I have gone out of my way for roadfood and triple D.  Some places are now favorites and some are not for me.  That doesn't make them bad.
Eat on everyone
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives 2009/08/01 22:56:56
Tonight..8/1 they ran a bunch of repeats of various "3D" shows. One place I would like to check out was the Taco's and More in Omaha. They did the only Deep fried Taco's I have seen outside of the J-I-B tacos that I dearly love! While the place on D<D<D obviously was charging more than 2 for a Buck that J I B does,  Those greasey Carne Asada Tacos sure looked great to me.
Birdhunter
Hamburger
Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives 2009/08/01 23:49:54
I was just at HILLBILLY HOT DOGS in Lesage,WV.on the19th. The hot dog sauce was not good and I tried one of there burgers.The owner came over to me and told me it was voted the BEST BURGER in West Virgina. I wouldn't give it a vote, and Guy taste buds on his tongue must be wornen out.
This is just a junk hole with trash laying all over the place with very poor parking.
This is my fourth and last stops at the 3 D'S TV stops. I like watching his show, but no more trying those places out.
I was there on my motorcycle and meeting up with a riding group so I drove up there from Slade ,Kentucky to see what it was all about.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Diner, Drive-Ins and Dives 2009/08/02 00:14:21
Captain Morgan

I'm a mod on another food forum.  Let me say this.

I too thought the op was probably a rival or someone
with a beef with the owner of the joint.  Perhaps
that's not true.

I have noticed tons of obvious "this place is great = my place is great" and "that place stinks = my rival's place stinks, or = my
former employee stinks.  It's far more common on smaller boards.

But my biggest complaint is that everyone needs to realize that
opinions are like noses...everyone has one.  Just because you
don't like a chili sandwich doesn't mean it's not good....only
not good to you....others may love it.  McRibs are probably
the best example of a polarizing food.

But in a roadfood environment like this, I think it's key to note
that we, by definition, are looking for regional specialties.
So if you grew up with Cincy chili, you may not like the kind
of chili burger/sandwich you get in SC, but instead of saying
"it's terrible",  perhaps better verbiage like "I didn't like it because......" would be a more beneficial post.

I AM SICK AND TIRED OF ALL THIS POLITICAL CORRECTNESS BS!
If someone thinks a place stinks or they don't like it, let them say so. You don't need to agree with their opinion, but they have every right to express it anyway they care to. The only restrictions I would consider off-base is Swearing, Libelous or Slanderous language.

Roadfood is about OPINIONS. People on here don't need to justify or explain their opinions. If they do, that's great--If they don't, it doesn't matter. Agree or Disagree, your option.

We don't live in a kinder, gentler world. All you PC people gather somewhere, form a circle, hold hands and sing Kumbaya!
post edited by Foodbme - 2009/08/02 00:16:27
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2