Honeymooning at the birthplace of the daquiri

jonjax71
  • Total Posts : 435
  • Reward points : 0
Honeymooning at the birthplace of the daquiri - Wed, 06/17/09 10:22 AM
I was perusing some very old photo albums of my in laws and I came across my in laws wedding and honeymoon photos as well as some snapshots of my wife as a newborn and infant, all of these are B & W photos from the late 1940s and early 50s which are going to be sent to be restored & upgraded, then placed on a hard disc for posterity. Anyway, there were 2 photos of my Jamaica in laws who honeymooned just 60 miles across the Caribbean, from their native Montego Bay to Cuba's second city, Santiago. at the birthplace of the daquiri cocktail, they were at the thatched hut bar on Playa Daquiri or Daquiri Beach where a bartender concoted the cocktail for the first time(circa US Prohibition-1920s?) and hence the name daquiri.

On the other end of the island in Havana's famous bar Bodeguita del Medio which I have been to in my 2 visits to Cuba,  I saw the pictorial history of the mojito that was created there, I saw many photos of Ernest Hemingway drinking mojitos back in the 1920s and 30s and his legendary signature on the wall where it is customary for celebs to autograph.

I find it curious that such a small island has given the world 2 famous cocktails and so much fabulous music, it really is time to re-establish normal relations with our neighbors.

seafarer john
  • Total Posts : 3481
  • Reward points : 0
Re:Honeymooning at the birthplace of the daquiri - Wed, 06/17/09 12:01 PM
Our policy towards Cuba was dumb 50 years ago and remains dumb today. Let's hope sanity prevails in the current administration and Congress so we'll all have a chance to revisit Cuba.

Cheers, John   
<message edited by seafarer john on Wed, 06/17/09 12:02 PM>