Naked Grouse

Double Chili Cheeseburger
2009/06/18 11:31:24
The makers of Famous Grouse Scotch whisky are promoting a new blend, "The Naked Grouse," here in Hennepin County (Minnesota).  It's being sold at a variety of restaurants and bars, including the often-cited-on-Roadfood Hell's Kitchen, as well as in package stores like Haskell's and Surdyks.
According to the promotional material, it's a blend of The Macallan and Highland Park, which, coincidentally, are my, and my husband's, favorite single malts (respectively).
Has anyone tried it?
Re:Naked Grouse 2009/06/19 09:25:49
I'm due for replenishing my sipping bottle of bourbon this week. I may go to Haskell's and try this instead. I occasionally switch up with single malts.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:Naked Grouse 2009/06/19 10:02:26
My only contact with the "Famous Grouse" Scotch was as I read WEB Griffth's series of WWII novels collectivly labeled "The Corp"  That was the often consummed beverage of choice by the central group of characters in the novels.
   I tried it and several other versions of the Scotches and find that I am destined to be a Bourbon-Sipper when I imbibe.
  I have a bottle of "Glennfiddish" that has added 20 years of shelf-life to it's advertised aging process and remains three/quarters full today.
post edited by mayor al - 2009/06/19 10:04:16
Bella Caffe
Re:Naked Grouse 2009/08/09 10:17:59
I stock Famous Grouse, Mac12 & Highland Park in my bar & love all 3, will have to try to Naked Grouse.
Junior Burger
Re:Naked Grouse 2009/09/13 15:00:44
Thanks for your interest in The Naked Grouse!  We'd appreciate hearing whether you liked it.  Our Naked Grouse Team will be at a number of venues and events doing some fun things through mid-October, including Taste of the Nation tonight (9pm) at the Bradstreet Crafthouse in The Graves Hotel.  If you want to know more, please feel free to check us out at or on Facebook at .  Thanks again, and we hope to hear from you!
Re:Naked Grouse 2009/10/08 18:41:32
I was in London on business last week, and on my way back, I stopped in the Duty Free at Heathrow and bought a bottle of "Black Grouse."   I do not know if this is the same thing as what's being sold as "Naked Grouse" here in the US (I still haven't had a chance to try it here in Minnesota), but I can report that "Black Grouse" is terrific -- provided you like "peaty" Islay blends.  I don't, as a rule, but I really enjoyed this one.  It is peaty, but it's also "clean" tasting, with a hint (just a hint) of sweetness.  And it's reasonably priced.
Re:Naked Grouse 2009/10/11 09:33:13
Update:  I was at Surdyk's on Saturday and bought a bottle of Naked Grouse. 
It comes in a squat cylindrical glass bottle with no attached paper label (there's a small paper label attached by a string to the top of the neck of the bottle, just under the cap), with the grouse etched into the glass. 
It's good.  Has a definite sherry quality.  Has elements of both Macallan and Highland Park.  Reminds me a little of Macallan's "Twenties" that they used to sell in Duty Free (along with "Thirties," "Forties" and "Fifties" -- I liked "Twenties" the best), but has a definite touch of a peaty-smoky flavor, as well.
About $33 a bottle.