Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat)

Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 10 of 15, messages 541 to 600 of 878
donw9876
  • Total Posts : 289
  • Reward points : 0
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Mon, 05/10/10 6:03 PM
Rumor mill time: in this article in the Western-Star (Lebanon), someone claims this in a comment in the article:

The signs aren't up just yet, but give them a couple of weeks. There is a BBQ in the works to open in the Wild Bills location. The plan is good food at good prices. They plan to open this summer, so when you smell it, follow your nose. I know I can't wait

"Wild Bill's" was a restaurant on East Silver Street in Lebanon just north of downtown that closed a couple of years ago.

http://www.western-star.c...&showComments=true

NYPIzzaNut
  • Total Posts : 3127
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Tue, 05/11/10 1:41 PM
Anyone know anything about:

Woody's BBQ.  Just opened in Feb.  3321 Dayton-Xenia Road just west of North Fairfield in Beavercreek.

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Wed, 05/12/10 8:49 AM
I did not realize that Woody's is part of a chain of BBQ restaurants similar to City BBQ.

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Fri, 05/14/10 9:33 AM
We ate at Woody's in Beavercreek yesterday - not much good to say about them - their meat was dry and pretty much tasteless - further comments etc to follow.

donw9876
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Fri, 05/14/10 12:13 PM
Thank you for the being the regional guinea pig?

Another chain BBQ location to avoid is City BBQ in West Chester/VOA Park. Not well managed and not a good experience.

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Sat, 05/15/10 2:19 PM
donw9876

Thank you for the being the regional guinea pig?

Another chain BBQ location to avoid is City BBQ in West Chester/VOA Park. Not well managed and not a good experience.

The City BBQ at Eastgate is far above Woody's in every respect..

donw9876
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Sat, 05/15/10 9:01 PM
NYPIzzaNut

The City BBQ at Eastgate is far above Woody's in every respect..

We don't get up to Dayton much but I'll remember your review if it's ever suggested that we go there.

Your comparison here gives me a good calibration. The Centerville City BBQ is also pretty good for a chain.

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Wed, 05/19/10 6:51 AM
Anyone been to the Cock and Bull English Pub in Glendale?

RantoulDavis
  • Total Posts : 26
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Fri, 05/21/10 5:11 PM
I haven't been to City BBQ for a few months.  But I am a fan.  When they opened in Centerville several years ago we'd occasionally make the trek from YS to eat there.  Was very pleased when they opened the Beavercreek location.   I had one subpar experience there; got a half slab one day and it was way overdone.  I made a comment on the comment card and received a call from Columbus a week or two later!   They City Sampler used to be an awesome deal at $19.99.  Half slab, 1/4 chicken, pulled pork, brisket, toast, corn bread and 2 sides.  It would feed my entire family of four and we'd have leftovers (not huge eaters).  They've cut down the portions of the pork and brisket (no more leftovers) but it's still not a bad deal.  Smokin' downtown ain't bad but I actually prefer city.  I've yet to hit Shields or Huffies but I did have a chopped pork sandwich at Hooks a few years ago that wasn't bad.  What's your favorite Q in DAY?

RantoulDavis
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Fri, 05/21/10 6:31 PM
I posted this a week or two ago, meant to put it in this forum but it ended up on the main page. . .

Anyone been to Dayton Fish Company on 3939 N Main?  Looks interesting but I did not see 1 review online.   I just happened to drive by it this winter while looking for something else (Boston's Bistro) and it caught my eye.  

dlawson
  • Total Posts : 237
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Sat, 05/22/10 1:13 PM
NYPIzzaNut

I was there for the first time on St. Patrick's Day of this year, but drive past it often (depending upon which route I take home from work). The menu is more or less the same as the Mainstrasse location in Covington, where I have dined on a few occasions. To be quite honest, their draught beer selection is of most importance to me, with their standard pub fare being almost an afterthought. I don't find the burgers or Saratoga chips (called "pub chips", I think) any better or worse than other "pub"-style places, and I didn't find the "award-winning" fish and chips to be anything special, either (although I am not very fond of beer-battered fish in the first place, and much prefer cornmeal breading).

One other thing to note, since you have mentioned it before concerning your lunchbunch...my impression was that handicap accessibility at the Glendale location is very limited, with several tight corners and walkways. The St. Patrick's crowd may have contributed to that impression, but it wasn't THAT crowded; most tables/booths/stools on the first floor were accounted for, but it wasn't "standing room only" by any stretch.

In short: average food, above-average draught selection. I much prefer snacking on the appetizers (especially the curry chips) at the various Pub locations around town. (Rookwood Mews, in Norwood, is the closest one to us.)

RantoulDavis
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Tue, 05/25/10 10:36 AM
dlawson

In short: average food, above-average draught selection.

Any particular beers that make it above average?  I'm a bit of a beer nut and it can be rough in this area to find a good combination of food and beer.

dlawson
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Wed, 05/26/10 12:09 AM
They were the only place I found locally that had Bell's Batch 9000 on draught, for one. Their selection appears to rotate frequently, except for the usual "pub" constants like Guinness, Harp, Smithwick's, Boddington's...

You might also consider a trip to The Comet in Northside, if you've never been.

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Wed, 05/26/10 12:50 PM
Anyone been to the Country Inn Restaurant on Ohio Pike in Withamsville lately?

TJ Jackson
  • Total Posts : 4482
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Wed, 05/26/10 12:53 PM
NYPIzzaNut

Anyone been to the Country Inn Restaurant on Ohio Pike in Withamsville lately?

Yes.  It sucks.

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Wed, 05/26/10 5:05 PM
Kind of shocked to hear that since the Mt Orab one has been one of our favorites for many years now.

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Wed, 05/26/10 11:24 PM
We will be checking it out.

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Thu, 06/3/10 7:42 AM
Anyone been to Miss Molly's Bakery and Cafe in Farmersville?

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Thu, 06/10/10 2:24 PM
Anyone checked out the Iron Horse Inn in Glendale?

Bonk
  • Total Posts : 505
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Tue, 06/15/10 1:29 PM
Had a really good pizza at Giovanni's in Fairborn on Sunday. Lots of garlic in the sauce, and the garlic bread was excellent. Good use of basil without going overboard.

They had a location right off I-675 at the Yellow Springs Road exit, but it closed a couple of years ago. I really miss that restaurant -- had the best saltimbocca I've ever had.

RantoulDavis
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Fri, 06/18/10 6:10 PM
dlawson

They were the only place I found locally that had Bell's Batch 9000 on draught, for one. Their selection appears to rotate frequently, except for the usual "pub" constants like Guinness, Harp, Smithwick's, Boddington's...

Batch 9000 on draft?   My, my, that's totally illegal!!  Not that retailers and distributors don't occasionally ignore the rules.  Batch 9K at 12.2%abv was not generally available in Ohio.  Love the Comet but haven't been there for a couple of years.  Sorry for the delayed response.  Been having a number of workstation issues of late.

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Tue, 06/22/10 12:40 AM
Anyone been to Thai 9 in Dayton??

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Fri, 06/25/10 3:25 PM
Anyone been to the Black Sheep Pub and Restaurant in Cheviot on North Bend Rd or Nick and Tom's Restaurant on Bridgetown Rd, and have anything to say about the establishments?

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Fri, 06/25/10 3:27 PM
dlawson

NYPIzzaNut

I was there for the first time on St. Patrick's Day of this year, but drive past it often (depending upon which route I take home from work). The menu is more or less the same as the Mainstrasse location in Covington, where I have dined on a few occasions. To be quite honest, their draught beer selection is of most importance to me, with their standard pub fare being almost an afterthought. I don't find the burgers or Saratoga chips (called "pub chips", I think) any better or worse than other "pub"-style places, and I didn't find the "award-winning" fish and chips to be anything special, either (although I am not very fond of beer-battered fish in the first place, and much prefer cornmeal breading).

One other thing to note, since you have mentioned it before concerning your lunchbunch...my impression was that handicap accessibility at the Glendale location is very limited, with several tight corners and walkways. The St. Patrick's crowd may have contributed to that impression, but it wasn't THAT crowded; most tables/booths/stools on the first floor were accounted for, but it wasn't "standing room only" by any stretch.

In short: average food, above-average draught selection. I much prefer snacking on the appetizers (especially the curry chips) at the various Pub locations around town. (Rookwood Mews, in Norwood, is the closest one to us.)
We did go there a few weeks ago and it was tight but managable - went in thru side door.  Food was OK only in our collective opinion.

donw9876
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Mon, 06/28/10 2:28 AM
Two mini-reviews:

#1: Lovely's Farm Market, 330 E Central Ave Springboro, OH 45066: lovelysfarmmarket.com

Known for their fried chicken recommended by a friend. I have eaten there two times this summer. The fried chicken is excellent. A caveat: eating in the cafe (as opposed to carry-out) is quite expensive for this kind of place. I was told at the ordering counter that you cannot order either the family chicken packs (starting with 8 pieces) nor can you get containers of their salads or sides to eat in. If you eat in the cafe, you "must" pay the individual (quite expensive) prices per side and you "must" order the individual meals. No family deals permitted.  Everything is a la carte. Today three of us each ordered their 2 piece chicken dinners,  and we got a total of 4 sides between us and three fountain drinks. $29! Almost $10 apiece. I will add that my two piece meal, a wing and a breast, were both microscopic. Quite small. I left still hungry.

#2: Trails Tavern, Yellow Springs on Rt. 68 in the center of town.

I do not recommend it.  The place has very slow service and expensive food with narrow selections, and indifferently made. The food was OK to insipid. A $5.75 "Jerk Burger" is a very dry 1/4 lb patty on a plain bun, absolutely no toppings (even a stupid slice of tomato is $0.50) but uber hot jalepenos and jack cheese, and a sprinkling of rosemary herb that I guess is the "jerk" seasoning. And no side included except chips and a pickle spear. A relatively narrow range of appetizers - no jalapeno poppers, for instance. We paid $19 for about $12 worth of food.

Not great reviews, but provided in the spirit of informing.
<message edited by donw9876 on Mon, 06/28/10 3:07 AM>

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Mon, 06/28/10 7:02 AM
I mentioned last year here also during my one visit to Lovely's at almost season's end last year that their prices on things like jams and preserves etc from Amish country are higher by a significant amount than can be found at stores like The Home Place in Georgetown, OH in Brown County:

http://www.thehomeplacefurniture.com/

The local family that operates this place are Mennonites, and were formerly Amish.  They offer baby back ribs with sides for takeout on Fridays  and have BBQ chicken lunches with all the fixings on Saturdays during the summer.
<message edited by NYPIzzaNut on Mon, 06/28/10 7:07 AM>

RantoulDavis
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Mon, 06/28/10 10:48 AM
NYPIzzaNut

We  went last year on our anniversary.  I really enjoyed my green curry dish, can't recall if I had seafood, tofu or chicken.  My wife had the Beef Salad and it was excellent.  Very nice beer selection, I recommend the Saison Dupont, a Belgian Farmhouse Ale.  It's a tad pricey but it's a nice restaurant so it's far from unreasonable.  The spicing is on a scale from 1-10 and the word is that it is inconsistent.  I think I ordered an 8 and the waiter talked me down to a 7.  I should have went with the 8.

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Mon, 06/28/10 1:17 PM
RantoulDavis

NYPIzzaNut

We  went last year on our anniversary.  I really enjoyed my green curry dish, can't recall if I had seafood, tofu or chicken.  My wife had the Beef Salad and it was excellent.  Very nice beer selection, I recommend the Saison Dupont, a Belgian Farmhouse Ale.  It's a tad pricey but it's a nice restaurant so it's far from unreasonable.  The spicing is on a scale from 1-10 and the word is that it is inconsistent.  I think I ordered an 8 and the waiter talked me down to a 7.  I should have went with the 8.
Our group went there for lunch on June 22d.  It was extremely noisy - very poor acoustics --  I will post a few photos shortly - the food was OK - spice levels seemed consistent with what was ordered.  I did not order Pad Thai (a personal favorite) as we were told it was fairly sweet. For a group of 6 our check was $100.

<message edited by NYPIzzaNut on Mon, 06/28/10 1:18 PM>

RantoulDavis
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Fri, 07/9/10 1:50 AM
A new restaurant has opened in Yellow Springs.  Today was the first day I'd noticed it being open.  It's called CJ's Southern Cooking and it's on Xenia Ave (US-68), south of the village in the old KFC/Taco Bell location.  Went there today and enjoyed a pulled pork sandwich, chips, fried cod basket, slaw, fries, and beans & rice (shared).  All were very good.  Order at the counter and they'll bring it to your table.   Prices are reasonable as are the portions.   Here's an article that appeared in the local paper about 3 weeks ago.  I have no affiliation.

ysnews.com/news/2010/06/cj%E2%80%99s-to-cook-up-%E2%80%98bama-food

• Total Posts : 335
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Fri, 07/9/10 1:58 AM
RantoulDavis

A new restaurant has opened in Yellow Springs.  Today was the first day I'd noticed it being open.  It's called CJ's Southern Cooking and it's on Xenia Ave (US-68), south of the village in the old KFC/Taco Bell location.  Went there today and enjoyed a pulled pork sandwich, chips, fried cod basket, slaw, fries, and beans & rice (shared).  All were very good.  Order at the counter and they'll bring it to your table.   Prices are reasonable as are the portions.   Here's an article that appeared in the local paper about 3 weeks ago.  I have no affiliation.

I am familiar with the old KFC/Taco Bell combo restaurant, Rantoul.  I don't eat either of those brands.  I'm amazed (not to mention happy!) that it closed.  Chalk one up for the mom and pop eateries!

• Total Posts : 335
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Fri, 07/9/10 2:04 AM
RantoulDavis

Here's another link to the story:  http://bit.ly/92IvHg

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Fri, 07/9/10 7:59 AM

RantoulDavis

Here's another link to the story:  http://bit.ly/92IvHg

..this place sounds awful good..

donw9876
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Fri, 07/9/10 11:29 AM
I am familiar with the old KFC/Taco Bell combo restaurant, Rantoul.  I don't eat either of those brands.  I'm amazed (not to mention happy!) that it closed.  Chalk one up for the mom and pop eateries!

<tangent> I remember in the early 90s the local controversy about admitting a lowly, gauche fast food chain into Yellow Springs, and the spot they picked was like exile at the edge of the village.

I thought that YS people were so full of themselves with the hippie attitude at the time.

Now I understand. The logic of resistance was brilliant. These custom built chain restaurant buildings always look exactly like what they used to be - they don't blend like an old house when they're vacant.  The empty building was a red and white eyesore.

I just read the YS News article. Fantastic! We'll have to drop in and try it. I hope they can "execute". The area can really use this.

RantoulDavis
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Fri, 07/9/10 3:18 PM
donw9876

<tangent> I remember in the early 90s the local controversy about admitting a lowly, gauche fast food chain into Yellow Springs, and the spot they picked was like exile at the edge of the village.

I thought that YS people were so full of themselves with the hippie attitude at the time.

Now I understand. The logic of resistance was brilliant. These custom built chain restaurant buildings always look exactly like what they used to be - they don't blend like an old house when they're vacant.  The empty building was a red and white eyesore.

I just read the YS News article. Fantastic! We'll have to drop in and try it. I hope they can "execute". The area can really use this.

That was before my time in YSO, I moved here in 2000.  Glad you understand now Don!  ;-)  But I'll say this. . . people are pretty full of themselves here.  It's a unique village and stands in stark contrast to the surrounding areas.   But we have a vibrant downtown full of places with local flavor from eco-friendly green stores, a vinyl record store, deli/wine/beer shop, restaurants ranging from top notch (The Winds) to casual pub grub (Peach's grill) to two independent pizza places.  Also a movie theater, drug store, post office, hardware (open on Sunday!), a gas station that sells several varieties of Bell's, Sierra Nevada, Troeg's and other craft beers, and if course the requisite incense, candle, headshop  I'm damn glad the locals fought against having a McD's/KFC whatever.  It's just not that kinda town.  There is a Subway though!  And now we have even more evidence that they were on the right track since KFC/Taco Bell couldn't survive.   

I really enjoyed by food at CJ's.  Some may complain that the portions are small but I'd defend that in the interest of quality over quantity.  Two of us ate there yesterday and we got one extra side to take home.  It was just over $20.  So, while it's affordable, it's not cheap.  $20 for a full slab of ribs.  $7 for a pulled pork with chips & a pickle.   The fish baskets include fries and slaw and run $7/$8.  They also come with a hot pepper mix that is tasty.  There were logistical issues in getting our food but I'll chalk that up to "working out the kinks."    It's a welcome addition to the local scene.

RantoulDavis
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Fri, 07/9/10 3:27 PM
donw9876

#2: Trails Tavern, Yellow Springs on Rt. 68 in the center of town.

I do not recommend it.  The place has very slow service and expensive food with narrow selections, and indifferently made. The food was OK to insipid. A $5.75 "Jerk Burger" is a very dry 1/4 lb patty on a plain bun, absolutely no toppings (even a stupid slice of tomato is $0.50) but uber hot jalepenos and jack cheese, and a sprinkling of rosemary herb that I guess is the "jerk" seasoning. And no side included except chips and a pickle spear. A relatively narrow range of appetizers - no jalapeno poppers, for instance. We paid $19 for about $12 worth of food.

Not great reviews, but provided in the spirit of informing.

Damn, this one slipped by me without comment.  While I haven't been to the Tavern in 7-8 years I'm not surprised.  This is the proverbial tourist trap in YS and you NEVER see locals eating there.  I quit going (even for a beer) several years ago when the owner cut down two 200+ year old osage orange trees to build the patio!  That owner has since passed (RIP) and I was almost considering checking it out again.  But thanks to donw that won't be necessary (thanks don!).  I'd recommend a stop at Peach's next time.  It's decent pub grub for the most part.  I highly recommend The Grinder.  The price has gone up a bit (I think it's $10/11) but it's piled high with deli meat.   Burgers are also solid.  

This week we ate at the The Winds for the first time in a long time.  As you may know The Winds isn't exactly roadfood but it's certainly one of the finest restaurants in the area and it has a casual vibe.  My wife and I each got a salad (Caesar for me, Big Red Sun for her) and in addition to that we had two small plates, Corn Fritters with Lime dipping sauce and Roasted Figs wrapped in bacon with goat cheese.   They both run about $10/12 and are just 3 pieces but good lord, they were both absolutely delicious.  The current menu runs through August.   The Roasted figs, while a small dish, are worth driving for!

donw9876
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Fri, 07/9/10 5:05 PM
One thing - I was perusing some rants (reviews) I posted in the past and in one review a couple of years ago I gave The Trails high praise for good food and good service. We went there this time in mid-June on a week night. Maybe this is the slow season. It was noteworthy for a pervasive feeling we got that nobody cared. That's usually what triggers me to rip into a place. Fail.
<message edited by donw9876 on Fri, 07/9/10 5:18 PM>

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Sat, 07/17/10 9:56 AM
NYPIzzaNut

Still Smokin' Barbeque is located at 2280 Hales Way in Williamsburg, OH.

If you are coming east on State Route 32 out of Eastgate it is just before the city limits of Mt. Orab. You turn right on Eastwood at the light and make an almost immediate left turn onto Hales Way and go to the very end past some blue warehouse type looking buildings and a gas station and they are sitting to the left in their cute little log cabin trailer.

Their food is great.   A fresh new brisket is generally available at just before 5 PM and it is scrumptious.  They are here for the summer only and open on Thursday - Saturday from 11 am - 7 pm and Sundays from 12 - 6 PM.

Lee Myers is the Pitmaster and his phone number is 513 546 4810.

They also do catering special events also.

The have pork chops, pulled pork and chicken, smoked brisket,  St Louis style ribs and Baby Back ribs.

Sides include cole slaw, Baked pork  and beans, potato salad, mac and cheese and cornbread loaves.

They have a large picnic table under a sturdy canopy to eat there but much of their biz is takeout.

Our lunchbunch group has picked up food there several times and it has been most enjoyable.

I picked up some brisket Thursday and spoke to Lee for a bit - he told me they will be at the Clermont County Fair on the infield from July 25 - 31 - if things go well they will probably do the Brown County Fair.

They have changed the wood formula they use - it is now pecan and apple wood (50-50 mix) - the pecan tree wood comes from Georgia.  The brisket was wonderful as usual.

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Mon, 07/19/10 12:30 PM
We are going to try CJ's Southern Cooking on Rt 68 in Yellow Springs this week.

ScreamingChicken
  • Total Posts : 4719
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Mon, 07/19/10 2:07 PM
Yellow Springs sounds like an interesting town.  I'm going to be visiting Lebanon next month and instead of taking US-35 southeast from the Indiana state line maybe I'll take I-70 across and then shoot down US-68 to US-42 and grab a bite as I pass through.

Brad

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Thu, 07/22/10 2:32 PM
Let us know what you like best.

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Thu, 07/22/10 8:55 PM
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000465362502#!/pages/Cincinnati-OH/New-Orleans-to-Go/309639602845?ref=ts&__a=8&ajaxpipe=1

New Orleans to Go Make sure you follow us on twitter b/c its easier for me to post updates from my phone there. Springdale 530-930 this Fri. 270 Northland.
Yesterday at 11:47am · Comment · Like

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Thu, 07/22/10 8:59 PM

<message edited by NYPIzzaNut on Thu, 07/22/10 9:07 PM>

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Thu, 07/22/10 9:31 PM
http://twitter.com/neworleanstogo

Make sure you follow us on twitter b/c its easier for me to post updates from my phone there. Springdale 530-930 this Fri. 270 Northland. 8:47 AM Jul 21st via Facebook TQL office lunch Eastgate/Milford prep Wed., Th., Fri.. Dinner from 5:30-9:30 Fri. in Springdale (270 Northland Blvd. 45246) Dwtwn Sat. nt 3:28 AM Jul 21st via Twitter for BlackBerry®

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Sat, 07/24/10 2:50 PM

donw9876
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Sat, 07/24/10 6:24 PM
We tried CJ's Southern Cookin' in Yellow Springs today.

We went there in the middle of the afternoon on this very hot Saturday in July. The parking lot was desolate with one car, and the only thing that convinced us to try it was that we saw the girl at the counter through the front glass (we thought it was closed.)

The dining room is spotless and appears to have inherited the same kind of furniture and tables that KFC put in.

My wife ordered a half rack of ribs, side salad, and mashed potatoes and gravy. I ordered 1/2 fried chicken, french fries and mixed greens seasoned with smoked turkey. Each dinner seemed to come with one piece of cornbread (I got two pieces served on my tray.) The total bill including two fountain drinks was slightly over $26.

The ribs were NOT smoked, but they were nicely done and had a lot of character - not boiled to the point of falling off the bone, but most fat was rendered out and they had a nice char. The sauce was sweet and spicy and definitely some homemade thing they did there. My chicken pieces were very lightly breaded, and the pieces were trimmed well with no fat. The greens were awesome, nice and slightly bitter and sour and and contrasting with everything else on the plate. The fries were decent natural cut potatoes, no big deal. Everything was piping hot, as in scalding/steaming.

I have to say that the value of what you get for your money is definitely there. We stuffed ourselves each to the point of near pain and we both had leftovers for another meal. We filled a large takeout box with two of my wings, the cornbread, and half of the rib order.

We were one table of very few people being served; we were getting into the near dinner hour, and our food came out in about 15 minutes (pretty good for fried chicken, especially.)

I highly recommend this place, given today's experience. The quality and quantity of everything we got was excellent. I hope NYPN goes and reports back, I think he/you would enjoy it.

This joint REALLY needs to promote itself. You could totally miss it or take it as closed. They should at least get friends and employees to leave parked cars in the lot to make it look like it's busy. And they could use a big-@ss "Open" sign on the front glass. I have no idea if the effete hippie-loving village of YS would tolerate or allow a sandwich board placed in front of the place, but they really need some bright signage in front.
<message edited by donw9876 on Sat, 07/24/10 6:38 PM>

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Sat, 07/24/10 7:18 PM
We did CJ's yesterday for lunch..I really enjoyed the place...we had the brisket, ribs and meat loaf and six sides and 3 desserts..the brisket was a bit dry but tasty...the sauce was very good .. sweet and spicy...our sides were the greens, mac 'n cheese, potato salad, red beans and rice, green beans and baked beans..the mac 'n cheese was pretty plain jane and did not excel..the red beans and rice were spicy and different than any I have had anywhere..they grew on me..the potato salad was pretty tasty ... I am not big on greens but they were tasty..I liked the baked beans - heavy on molasses ..we had banana pudding, peach cobbler and sweet potato pie .. all were done well and flavorful...nice folks run the place..I will post some pix ... the breakfasts there sound good..I missed the place the first time as their sign is behind a big shade tree...we were there from 11 to 1 or so and they did a brisk business ..in and out...our bill for 4 came to $50..my amigo went back after Scrabble session at their library and got catfish with cornbread breading and French fries and grilled spicy peppers..he liked the breading very much and loved his two sides...he raved about the fries...we also went to Young's and enjoyed their flavor of the day..two scoops of black raspberry ice cream...I do not know where we found the room but we surely did, and we fed the goats..nice creatures...one was very pregnant..

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Sat, 07/24/10 7:20 PM
PS on CJ's - I loved their chicken wings and their cornbread  which we ordered also..

donw9876
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Sat, 07/24/10 7:45 PM
After a crappy experience we had at The Trails a few weeks ago, we were glad to find a good place to eat in the village. I hope they can sustain the business and the quality.

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Sat, 07/24/10 8:00 PM
donw9876

After a crappy experience we had at The Trails a few weeks ago, we were glad to find a good place to eat in the village. I hope they can sustain the business and the quality.
Have you eaten more than the ice cream at Young's?

http://youngsdairy.com/?page_id=243

http://youngsdairy.com/?page_id=360

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Sat, 07/24/10 8:05 PM
CJ's has a facebook page, which includes a menu and photo of the owners etc:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Yellow-Springs-OH/CJs-Southern-Cookin/142702789075308?ref=search&v=info#!/pages/Yellow-Springs-OH/CJs-Southern-Cookin/142702789075308

<message edited by NYPIzzaNut on Sat, 07/24/10 8:07 PM>

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Sat, 07/24/10 8:27 PM
It is too bad they do not offer fried okra or cracklin' cornbread...
<message edited by NYPIzzaNut on Sat, 07/24/10 9:30 PM>

donw9876
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Sat, 07/24/10 11:06 PM
NYPIzzaNut

Re: Young's - We've eaten both at the Golden Jersey Inn and the main fast food ice cream stand/restaurant.

The Golden Jersey Inn next door to the main complex is an independent take on a Bob Evans type dining experience. Much better food, however. It's probably not worth a long trip just to eat there, but I would highly recommend it for passers by. The food selections are completely different than the fast food buildings'.

The fast food restaurant is very good for a family style fast food restaurant. Quick, efficient service and all of the sammiches and sides that I have tried there have been excellent and modestly priced. Real plates and silverware. Young's gets it exactly right on all counts of price, value and quality. (Geez, I sound like a fanboy...)

Both of these places are conventional middle American, catering to families, seniors (esp. the Inn) and little kids. It's not the YS college crowd. The fast food part gets extremely busy on weekends especially in the fall. I'd recommend visiting it during the weekday. The only drawback I can really think of is the lemming like crowds.
<message edited by donw9876 on Sun, 07/25/10 2:38 AM>

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Sun, 07/25/10 7:01 AM
donw9876

NYPIzzaNut

Re: Young's - We've eaten both at the Golden Jersey Inn and the main fast food ice cream stand/restaurant.

The Golden Jersey Inn next door to the main complex is an independent take on a Bob Evans type dining experience. Much better food, however. It's probably not worth a long trip just to eat there, but I would highly recommend it for passers by. The food selections are completely different than the fast food buildings'.

The fast food restaurant is very good for a family style fast food restaurant. Quick, efficient service and all of the sammiches and sides that I have tried there have been excellent and modestly priced. Real plates and silverware. Young's gets it exactly right on all counts of price, value and quality. (Geez, I sound like a fanboy...)

Both of these places are conventional middle American, catering to families, seniors (esp. the Inn) and little kids. It's not the YS college crowd. The fast food part gets extremely busy on weekends especially in the fall. I'd recommend visiting it during the weekday. The only drawback I can really think of is the lemming like crowds.
Thanks for the explanation - really appreciate it!

KahnsKrazy
  • Total Posts : 47
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Wed, 07/28/10 5:41 PM
RantoulDavis

dlawson

Batch 9000 on draft?   My, my, that's totally illegal!!  Not that retailers and distributors don't occasionally ignore the rules.  Batch 9K at 12.2%abv was not generally available in Ohio.  Love the Comet but haven't been there for a couple of years.  Sorry for the delayed response.  Been having a number of workstation issues of late.

I thought Ohio did away with the ABV restrictions a few years ago.  I thought anything about 12% was defined as "liquor" and not beer, and subject to the same rules and licensing as liquor.

NYPIzzaNut

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Fri, 07/30/10 10:11 AM
there will be a lull in reports on the lunchbunch outings as I recover from shoulder surgery...

dlawson
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Fri, 07/30/10 11:20 PM
KahnsKrazy

I thought Ohio did away with the ABV restrictions a few years ago.  I thought anything about 12% was defined as "liquor" and not beer, and subject to the same rules and licensing as liquor. 

I have not seen or heard anything to this effect, and a quick Google search comes up with several sources that mention the 12% cap is still in effect. At any rate, Batch 9000 was definitely on their beer list, not their liquor list.

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs - Fri, 07/30/10 11:34 PM
NYPIzzaNut

This past Saturday my wife and I had lunch at The Home Place in Georgetown, Ohio.

They began their summer session of BBQ marinated chicken being offered to go or eat at their picnic tables (for sale by the Mennonite family who run and own this furniture/gift/bakery/deli operation).

It was very good along with the homemade pies and ice cream.  The sides of baked beans and cole slaw were bland though and still need a wee bit of work.

I will be posting photos shortly.
They are beginning this again, tomorrow...

donw9876
Interesting soap opera in Lebanon - "Silver Street BBQ" - Sat, 07/31/10 12:54 PM
A barbecue restaurant has been under construction since late spring in the former location of Wild Bill's and Mighty Casey's, called "Silver Street BBQ". There has been a sign in the window for months but no apparent activity. Apparently it is now open but is headed for self destruction.

This:

http://localriders.com/fo../showthread.php?t=15674

and this:

http://www.assfaultjunkie...atman....What-happened

It seems like everyone involved is a biker and mainly the place has been promoted to other bikers. No coverage in the local news.

I found this (warning, is loaded with several negative comments by the same guy):

http://www.urbanspoon.com...reet-BBQ-Grill-Lebanon

Maybe BBQ Revue should open a branch in Lebanon?

If it's still around in September we may try it... if the *independent* reviews indicate that it's ok.
<message edited by donw9876 on Sat, 07/31/10 1:08 PM>

KahnsKrazy
  • Total Posts : 47
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Mon, 08/2/10 12:09 PM
dlawson

KahnsKrazy

I have not seen or heard anything to this effect, and a quick Google search comes up with several sources that mention the 12% cap is still in effect. At any rate, Batch 9000 was definitely on their beer list, not their liquor list.

12% is the legal limit for a product to be called "beer", but a product made with barley and hops can still be legal, just subject to the same conditions as other spritous liquor.  It's certainly possible that rules were broken along the distribution channel, but the mere existence of Batch 9000 on tap - or even on the menu under "beer" is not evidence of a law being broken, per se.

Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 10 of 15, messages 541 to 600 of 878