Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat)

Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 4 of 15, messages 181 to 240 of 878
Captain Howdy
  • Total Posts : 59
  • Reward points : 0
Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs - Fri, 10/23/09 8:05 PM
NYPIzzaNut

On another positive note tomorrow is the last day of vacation for Troni's Pizza in Kettering!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank the maker!

NYPIzzaNut
  • Total Posts : 3127
Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs - Sat, 10/24/09 10:33 PM
Our lunchbunch ate at this place a while back.  It has a Mexican grocery connected to it in back and you park on Monmouth or behind the place (the old Sylvia's Mexican Restaurant is just across from the parking lot in back).

I wanted to post this review I ran across as it gives  you a good idea of what this real authentic Mexican restaurant has to offer:

http://www.thefoodhussy.com/2009/05/la-mexicana-newports-hidden-treasure.html

NYPIzzaNut
Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs - Sun, 10/25/09 11:21 AM
I ran across this piece about New York City pizza this morning and thought some here might enjoy it:

http://www.concretethoughts.com/?p=417

[It begins thusly..]
Thursday, March 19th, 2009

New York City Pizza: The Real Thing

By Ryan Holladay

My first six months in New York I ate very little besides pizza.

Russ Jackson
  • Total Posts : 2257
Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs - Sun, 10/25/09 1:47 PM
NYPIzzaNut

I ran across this piece about New York City pizza this morning and thought some here might enjoy it:

http://www.concretethoughts.com/?p=417

[It begins thusly..]
Thursday, March 19th, 2009

New York City Pizza: The Real Thing

By Ryan Holladay

My first six months in New York I ate very little besides pizza.

A Great Article. The sad but true thing is that most Ohioians have never nor will they ever eat and enjoy great pizza. A LaRosa's, Cassanos, Little Caesars, Papa John's etc etc etc would not last an hour in New York. He states in the article quote:

America has been hoodwinked into believing that the abundance of often perverse and unfortunate derivative dishes that share the same name should be accepted as legitimate alternatives.

I could not have said it better myself....Russ

Davydd
  • Total Posts : 6227
Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs - Sun, 10/25/09 2:39 PM
I'll give him credit for not saying it was the New York City water.   But other than that it is just another (but well written) NY snobbery piece. I'm speaking for the rest of the country, not necessarily southwest Ohio.

donw9876
  • Total Posts : 289
Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs - Sun, 10/25/09 3:55 PM
The writer doesn't explain why the pizza is so much better. Someone used to (as his wife puts it) Chicago pizza "casseroles" has no idea what he is going on about. No description of textures, aromas or flavors.

TJ Jackson
  • Total Posts : 4486
Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs - Sun, 10/25/09 7:27 PM
Davydd

it is just another (but well written) NY snobbery piece.

Agreed.

Then again, there is a lot of that in this particular thread, so it's perfectly topical despite the thread's name

<message edited by TJ Jackson on Sun, 10/25/09 8:09 PM>

Russ Jackson
Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs - Sun, 10/25/09 8:27 PM
It just shows how limited the Ohio pallate is when it comes to Pizza just in the responses. The two best would be Dewey's and Troni's which on there best day would rank a 7 out of 10. Keep eating your Marions and Ron's thinking it is quality. Kind of like comparing Ice Milk or Frozen Yogurt to Graeter's....Russ 

LeadBelly
  • Total Posts : 93
Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs - Sun, 10/25/09 9:33 PM
Russ Jackson

It just shows how limited the Ohio pallate is when it comes to Pizza just in the responses. The two best would be Dewey's and Troni's which on there best day would rank a 7 out of 10. Keep eating your Marions and Ron's thinking it is quality. Kind of like comparing Ice Milk or Frozen Yogurt to Graeter's....Russ 

Yeah but its kind of that way around the country for just about any food. When I moved down here I had a rule...no cheese steaks in Maryland and no crab cakes in Philadelphia. And I'm sure you could make those rules about anywhere around this country.  But people still eat a lot of cheese steak subs down here in the Baltimore area, and that now includes me. Are they as good as Philly, not close. But in the ten years since I've been down here they're getting a lot closer. The rolls have gotten better, the meat has gotten better and most importantly the people who make them have more of a handle on what they should be like. 

For a while it was probably inconceivable to think of good BBQ anywhere but the south or the Kansas area. But slowly the quality of BBQ  is rising up in unlikely places...like New York City. 

So yeah, out in Ohio they are limited to the Pizza they have and its not as good as Connecticut, New York or Philly pizza. Will it ever get that good as the best? Maybe not but give it time it will surely be an awful lot better than it is now. 

BTW...God bless Graeters. You can get ice cream almost anywhere but the stuff they make in those copper pots...oh my its good. 

NYPIzzaNut
Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs - Sun, 10/25/09 11:56 PM
LeadBelly

Russ Jackson

Yeah but its kind of that way around the country for just about any food. When I moved down here I had a rule...no cheese steaks in Maryland and no crab cakes in Philadelphia. And I'm sure you could make those rules about anywhere around this country.  But people still eat a lot of cheese steak subs down here in the Baltimore area, and that now includes me. Are they as good as Philly, not close. But in the ten years since I've been down here they're getting a lot closer. The rolls have gotten better, the meat has gotten better and most importantly the people who make them have more of a handle on what they should be like. 

For a while it was probably inconceivable to think of good BBQ anywhere but the south or the Kansas area. But slowly the quality of BBQ  is rising up in unlikely places...like New York City. 

So yeah, out in Ohio they are limited to the Pizza they have and its not as good as Connecticut, New York or Philly pizza. Will it ever get that good as the best? Maybe not but give it time it will surely be an awful lot better than it is now. 

BTW...God bless Graeters. You can get ice cream almost anywhere but the stuff they make in those copper pots...oh my its good. 
The Cinci area has had three pizzerias with pizza the quality of NY pizzas but sadly they came and went some time ago.  Dewey's now is as close as you get to the NY style and taste.  Troni's in Kettering does it a bit better than Dewey's.

Russ Jackson
Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs - Mon, 10/26/09 9:30 AM
LeadBelly

Russ Jackson

Are they as good as Philly, not close. But in the ten years since I've been down here they're getting a lot closer. The rolls have gotten better, the meat has gotten better and most importantly the people who make them have more of a handle on what they should be like.  

I have eaten Philly Cheese Steaks all over the country and none match the real thing. Do you think they are getting better or have your taste buds been deprived of the real thing so long you are forgeting? Outside of Philly you can't even find one made with Cheese Whiz. The further east you go in this country the better the bread...Russ

I wont even get into Bagels...

dlawson
  • Total Posts : 237
Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs - Tue, 10/27/09 8:03 AM
Russ Jackson
Outside of Philly you can't even find one made with Cheese Whiz.

It is not without its detractors, but Balboa's in Cincinnati (two locations, downtown and O'Bryonville) makes them "Wiz wit", and even gets their rolls from Philadelphia. I personally love the place; my wife does not.

Russ Jackson

No argument there.

NYPIzzaNut
Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs - Tue, 11/3/09 5:11 PM
Russ Jackson

LeadBelly

Russ Jackson

Are they as good as Philly, not close. But in the ten years since I've been down here they're getting a lot closer. The rolls have gotten better, the meat has gotten better and most importantly the people who make them have more of a handle on what they should be like.  

I have eaten Philly Cheese Steaks all over the country and none match the real thing. Do you think they are getting better or have your taste buds been deprived of the real thing so long you are forgeting? Outside of Philly you can't even find one made with Cheese Whiz. The further east you go in this country the better the bread...Russ

Russ

You can find great NYC type bagels and bialys here:

http://maps.google.com/maps/place?hl=en&safe=off&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=marx+bagels+blue+ash&fb=1&gl=us&hq=marx+bagels&hnear=blue+ash&cid=17990671846884447971

NYPIzzaNut
Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs - Tue, 11/3/09 5:23 PM
Country Inn on State Route 68 in Mt Orab (my favorite in the Brown County area for fried chicken and soups) is building a new location  off St Rt 32 just before the St Rt 68 exit coming out of Eastgate.  They expect to be open either by December or January 2010 and the old location will close at that time.

They have the foundation done and the frame is up already.  They will be opposite the new Mercy Emergency Medical Center:
http://www.ehealthconnection.com/regions/mercy_cincinnati/Facilities_Services_MtOrabMedicalCenter.asp

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Tue, 11/3/09 5:26 PM
NYPIzzaNut

NYPIzzaNut

Here is a photo of the storefront, and the owner Alex Mercado is on the left and the mural artist is to the right:

The expected opening day is the middle of August.

Here are some of the beautiful murals in the restaurant:

Click to view full size:

The address is 137 N Point Drive, Mt Orab. Coming east on State Route 32,  you exit onto State Route 68, turn left and go over the 32 overpass and turn left at the first light  and left again immediately and they are  behind Skyline Chili  in a strip shopping center.

I spoke to the owner today and he said all is ready for the opening but they are waiting on their furniture to come in from Mexico.  My guess is the opening should be around the beginning of next month. 
I learned today they will open on November 14th.

NYPIzzaNut
Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs - Wed, 11/4/09 10:01 AM
NYPIzzaNut

Country Inn on State Route 68 in Mt Orab (my favorite in the Brown County area for fried chicken and soups) is building a new location  off St Rt 32 just before the St Rt 68 exit coming out of Eastgate.  They expect to be open either by December or January 2010 and the old location will close at that time.

They have the foundation done and the frame is up already.  They will be opposite the new Mercy Emergency Medical Center:
http://www.ehealthconnection.com/regions/mercy_cincinnati/Facilities_Services_MtOrabMedicalCenter.asp
These are some collages of the Country Inn taken during visits there over the years:

We  have been enjoying their food since 2002.

Russ Jackson
Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs - Wed, 11/4/09 10:10 AM
NYPIzzaNut

Russ Jackson

LeadBelly

Russ Jackson

Russ

http://maps.google.com/maps/place?hl=en&safe=off&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=marx+bagels+blue+ash&fb=1&gl=us&hq=marx+bagels&hnear=blue+ash&cid=17990671846884447971

I will be down there this weekend and give it a try. I have moved to Upper Arlington in Columbus so I am currently exploring this area. Do you like Salt Bagles with yellow mustard? If you have not tried it I suggest you do. Scrape off about 1/2 the salt and apply Plochmans Yellow. It is a Detroit thing...Russ

NYPIzzaNut
Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs - Wed, 11/4/09 10:19 AM
Russ Jackson

NYPIzzaNut

Russ Jackson

LeadBelly

Russ Jackson

Russ

I will be down there this weekend and give it a try. I have moved to Upper Arlington in Columbus so I am currently exploring this area. Do you like Salt Bagles with yellow mustard? If you have not tried it I suggest you do. Scrape off about 1/2 the salt and apply Plochmans Yellow. It is a Detroit thing...Russ

My friend who is from Paris TN but worked in Detroit for a while craves their salt bagels!

My wife and I both love their raisin bagels and I absolutely am nuts about their bialys but all of their bagels are exceptional and just like you find in NYC.

They freeze well (freeze them the day you buy them if they will not be eaten right away) but don't leave them in there too long as they will dry out and lose some of their flavor - but I have defrosted some I had forgotten after a year and they still taste pretty good.

<message edited by NYPIzzaNut on Wed, 11/4/09 4:22 PM>

NYPIzzaNut
Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs - Sat, 11/7/09 12:47 PM
Our lunchbunch was at Stacey's Buffet in Wilmington this past Thursday.  Some comments etc. follow shortly.  A great lunch for $20 for the 3 of us!

It has been a while since I could say that.

donw9876
Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs - Sat, 11/7/09 12:51 PM
You mean, $6.67 apiece, roughly?

NYPIzzaNut
Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs - Sat, 11/7/09 12:54 PM
donw9876

You mean, $6.67 apiece, roughly?

Yes which includes our senior citizen discounts.

NYPIzzaNut
Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs - Sat, 11/7/09 6:22 PM
Here is a photobucket slide show of Stacey's Buffet:

http://s417.photobucket.com/albums/pp260/radians2009/Staceys%20Buffet%20Wilmington%20OH/?albumview=slideshow

I did not get pix of the salad bar or dessert bar or the soups etc on the main table.

That day they had chili with beans heavy on cumin and vegetable soup.

The food was very good and I was amazed they had fried green tomatoes. 

I never got to the desserts or salad bar but my companions did and enjoyed them immensely.

I concentrated on the kielbasi, fried green tomatoes, fried and bbq chicken, chili etc.

They always seem to have a good fresh spread of food and we always enjoy their buffets.

Here is their website, which gives some more details of their offerings:

http://www.staceysbuffet.com/

<message edited by NYPIzzaNut on Sat, 11/7/09 6:33 PM>

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17850
Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs - Sat, 11/7/09 7:47 PM
I am amazed that anyone would bother about photos of a damned buffet. I didn't look, but can't help wondering whether there were any pictures of people picking their noses and then reaching for food.
<message edited by Michael Hoffman on Sat, 11/7/09 7:49 PM>

NYPIzzaNut
Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs - Sat, 11/7/09 8:24 PM
Always nice to hear from you, mi amigo.

donw9876
Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs - Sun, 11/8/09 12:03 AM
PizzaNut, start a blog. Your reviews are always interesting.

• Total Posts : 335
Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs - Sun, 11/8/09 1:10 AM
NYPIzzaNut

Here is their website, which gives some more details of their offerings:

http://www.staceysbuffet.com/

Hmm, the website for Stacey's Buffet very limited.

I ate there in Wilmington once more than four years ago, and I thought it was less than I was expecting.  I think they had a location in Springfield as well.

NYPIzzaNut
Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs - Sun, 11/8/09 9:25 AM
For the price I think they are a real bargain in this day and age.

They had a location in Fairfield up until a few years ago, which is now  a Mexican restaurant, and it is one of several good Hispanic places to eat almost in a row heading up towards Jungle Jim's.
<message edited by NYPIzzaNut on Sun, 11/8/09 9:26 AM>

NYPIzzaNut
Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs - Sun, 11/8/09 10:26 PM
donw9876

I appreciate that but I really don't think I am the type to do that.

donw9876
Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs - Mon, 11/9/09 4:25 PM
NYPIzzaNut

donw9876

I appreciate that but I really don't think I am the type to do that.

It would be quite easy. Just create a Blogger ID and shovel the stuff you post here into individual blog postings.

Well, it was just a thought. "A New York Pizza Fanatic's Guide to Southwest Ohio Dining."

NYPIzzaNut
Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs - Mon, 11/9/09 6:42 PM
I might make more enemies than friends!

NYPIzzaNut
Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs - Tue, 11/10/09 3:32 PM
Anybody been to or heard anything about:

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/32/1484452/restaurant/Wyoming-Arlington-Heights-Reading/Qs-Raxx-Cincinnati

Q's Raxx

(513) 821-7299
Wyoming/Arlington Heights/Reading
BBQ and Southern Soul Cooking
1455 E. Galbraith Road
Cincinnati, OH 45215
www.qsraxx.com

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/dining/tag/qs-raxx/
New BBQ Posted by pcampbell October 22nd, 2009, 10:54 am Read Comments(4) Recommend(7) Q’s Raxx has opened on Galbraith Road in Reading, in the building  near the 1-75 entrance that has been variously Haudi’s, a Senagalese restaurant, and a  Mexican restaurant.  The owner is  Quintin Johnson.  He says they make their ribs in a smoker, and do both spareribs and baby backs. Beef ribs, which are not commonly served in the Cincinnati area, are also on the menu.  He recommends their okra fries. (cut long instead of into nuggets) and their macaroni and cheese. They’re open 11 a.m.- 9 p.m. Tuesday-Thursday; 11 a.m.-midnight Friday and Saturday and noon-6 p.m. Sunday. 1455 E. Galbraith Rd., 513-821-7299.
Posted in: Restaurant News |
Tags: barbecue, Q's Raxx
This entry was posted on Thursday, October 22nd, 2009 at 10:54 am and is filed under Restaurant News. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can trackback from your own site.

<message edited by NYPIzzaNut on Tue, 11/10/09 3:44 PM>

Bonk
  • Total Posts : 505
Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs - Thu, 11/12/09 7:08 PM
Any of you Dayton-area types tried a 'que place called Yardbird's in Trenton? No Web site available.

GF works with someone who lives out that way and says it's pretty good.

donw9876
Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs - Thu, 11/12/09 7:21 PM
http://www.yardbirdsbbq.com/

Check out Yahoo Local's reviews: http://local.yahoo.com/in...hern-bar-b-que-trenton

It looks clearly like someone deliberately stuffed the reviews (notice all of the 5 stars posted 8/4, 8/5, 8/6/07.) When some reviews of small town restaurants in Ohio indicate that the service has problems, I tend to believe those reviews (let's just say that I've found that bad service is the norm.)

This place, I'd be skeptical.

NYPIzzaNut
Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs - Mon, 11/16/09 12:36 PM
NYPIzzaNut

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/32/1484452/restaurant/Wyoming-Arlington-Heights-Reading/Qs-Raxx-Cincinnati

Q's Raxx

(513) 821-7299
1455 E. Galbraith Road
Cincinnati, OH 45215
www.qsraxx.com

New BBQ Posted by pcampbell October 22nd, 2009, 10:54 am Read Comments(4) Recommend(7) Q’s Raxx has opened on Galbraith Road in Reading, in the building  near the 1-75 entrance that has been variously Haudi’s, a Senagalese restaurant, and a  Mexican restaurant.  The owner is  Quintin Johnson.  He says they make their ribs in a smoker, and do both spareribs and baby backs. Beef ribs, which are not commonly served in the Cincinnati area, are also on the menu.  He recommends their okra fries. (cut long instead of into nuggets) and their macaroni and cheese. They’re open 11 a.m.- 9 p.m. Tuesday-Thursday; 11 a.m.-midnight Friday and Saturday and noon-6 p.m. Sunday. 1455 E. Galbraith Rd., 513-821-7299.
This entry was posted on Thursday, October 22nd, 2009 at 10:54 am and is filed under Restaurant News. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can trackback from your own site.

Our lunchbunch visited Q's Raxx last Thursday.  Mixed reviews. Many differences of opinion on the food consumed.  Pix etc follow. 

The best part of the day food-wise for me was stopping at Marx Bagels in Blue Ash to pick up some raisin bagels and bialys and getting a shot of owner in his Bagelman regalia which I will be posting here also.

<message edited by NYPIzzaNut on Mon, 11/16/09 12:37 PM>

NYPIzzaNut
Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs - Mon, 11/16/09 7:10 PM
Here is the owner of Marx Bagels  in and out of his costume:

The home of the very best Kosher  NY bagels and bialys in Cincinnati...

Captain Howdy
Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs - Mon, 11/16/09 9:46 PM
donw9876

http://www.yardbirdsbbq.com/

Check out Yahoo Local's reviews: http://local.yahoo.com/in...hern-bar-b-que-trenton

It looks clearly like someone deliberately stuffed the reviews (notice all of the 5 stars posted 8/4, 8/5, 8/6/07.) When some reviews of small town restaurants in Ohio indicate that the service has problems, I tend to believe those reviews (let's just say that I've found that bad service is the norm.)

This place, I'd be skeptical.

Looks like a menu consisting of middling BBQ, with tired sports bar fare with cloyingly cutesy names as filler.  Typical for this part of the country (unfortunately).

Also, I didn't know that a choice of American or cheddar cheese made a burger "southern style".

NYPIzzaNut
Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs - Mon, 11/16/09 9:46 PM
NYPIzzaNut

NYPIzzaNut

Q's Raxx

(513) 821-7299
1455 E. Galbraith Road
Cincinnati, OH 45215
www.qsraxx.com

Our lunchbunch visited Q's Raxx last Thursday.  Mixed reviews. Many differences of opinion on the food consumed.  Pix etc follow. 

The best part of the day food-wise for me was stopping at Marx Bagels in Blue Ash to pick up some raisin bagels and bialys and getting a shot of owner in his Bagelman regalia which I will be posting here also.

Here are the photos from our visit to Q's Raax:

http://s417.photobucket.com/albums/pp260/radians2009/Qs%20Raxx/?

and a slide show:

http://s417.photobucket.com/albums/pp260/radians2009/Qs%20Raxx/?albumview=slideshow

If you go after dark their sign is not illuminated so look for them directly across the street from Hertz and Tires Incorporated

I thought their macaconi and cheese was pretty tasteless.  Their okra fries were OK but I much prefer the fried okra at NOTG.  Their red beans and rice has about 11 herbs and spices in it according to Quinton the owner.  The taste is a bit odd and like nothing I ever had before.

Their potato and bacon soup was absolutely wonderful.

Their chicken noodle soup was kind of plain jane with little to recommend it.

The pulled pork sandwich was very bland and sparsely populated - the green beans were pretty plain.

Their cornbread was tasteless and resembled more a Johnny Cake.  The jerk chicken was pretty dried out but tasty.  The sweet potato casserole was very sweet and yummy.

I found their potato salad to be very bland and mundane - the baked beans were nothing to write home about - the bbq beef ribs were very dry - the bbq sauce was pretty plain and sweet.

The apple cobbler was delicious even tho we were disappointed they ran out of peach cobbler very early.

Our waitress Ella Mae of the 11 tattoos seemed very harried even though they were not very busy when we arrived.  Something happened though as our visit went on and she seemed pretty mellow by the time we were ready to leave.

Quinton spent some time with us and was very genial and pleasant to talk with.  He is the main chef also.

One of our members loved the jerk chicken and another loved the bbq beef ribs so I guess you need to try their food for yourselves to decide what you think of it.

EatingTheRoad
  • Total Posts : 1205
Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs - Tue, 11/17/09 7:42 AM

If you go after dark their sign is not illuminated so look for them directly across the street from Hertz and Tires Incorporated

Nice tip! I find that hilarious....but useful.

Good report and photos. Too bad it wasn't all that good.

Captain Howdy
Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs - Tue, 11/17/09 9:17 AM
NYPIzzaNut

NYPIzzaNut

NYPIzzaNut

Q's Raxx

(513) 821-7299
1455 E. Galbraith Road
Cincinnati, OH 45215
www.qsraxx.com

Here are the photos from our visit to Q's Raax:

http://s417.photobucket.com/albums/pp260/radians2009/Qs%20Raxx/?

and a slide show:

http://s417.photobucket.com/albums/pp260/radians2009/Qs%20Raxx/?albumview=slideshow

I thought their macaconi and cheese was pretty tasteless.  Their okra fries were OK but I much prefer the fried okra at NOTG.  Their red beans and rice has about 11 herbs and spices in it according to Quinton the owner.  The taste is a bit odd and like nothing I ever had before.

Their potato and bacon soup was absolutely wonderful.

Their chicken noodle soup was kind of plain jane with little to recommend it.

The pulled pork sandwich was very bland and sparsely populated - the green beans were pretty plain.

Their cornbread was tasteless and resembled more a Johnny Cake.  The jerk chicken was pretty dried out but tasty.  The sweet potato casserole was very sweet and yummy.

I found their potato salad to be very bland and mundane - the baked beans were nothing to write home about - the bbq beef ribs were very dry - the bbq sauce was pretty plain and sweet.

The apple cobbler was delicious even tho we were disappointed they ran out of peach cobbler very early.

Our waitress Ella Mae of the 11 tattoos seemed very harried even though they were not very busy when we arrived.  Something happened though as our visit went on and she seemed pretty mellow by the time we were ready to leave.

Quinton spent some time with us and was very genial and pleasant to talk with.  He is the main chef also.

One of our members loved the jerk chicken and another loved the bbq beef ribs so I guess you need to try their food for yourselves to decide what you think of it.

While taking in your slide show, the missus and I both posited that the only thing that even resembled exceptional was the potato soup.

I look forward to your next lunch bunch outing, sir!  Thanks for the continued awesome posts!

NYPIzzaNut
Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs - Tue, 11/17/09 4:28 PM
EatingTheRoad

Nice tip! I find that hilarious....but useful.

Good report and photos. Too bad it wasn't all that good.

I forgot to mention they were also out of greens!

NYPIzzaNut
Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs - Fri, 11/20/09 12:11 AM
Our lunchbunch dined here Thursday:

Tsao's Cuisine - Fairborn - Dayton | Urbanspoon

Tsao's Cuisine
(937) 429-5899
Fairborn 
3989 B Colonel Glenn Hwy
Dayton, OH 45431

photos and comments to follow shortly

EatingTheRoad
Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs - Fri, 11/20/09 7:46 AM
I hope someone got Tsao's General Tsao's Chicken....that's one of my favorite Chinese-American dishes...looking forward to the report and photos.

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Fri, 11/20/09 2:50 PM
NYPIzzaNut

NYPIzzaNut

NYPIzzaNut

Here is a photo of the storefront, and the owner Alex Mercado is on the left and the mural artist is to the right:

The expected opening day is the middle of August.

Here are some of the beautiful murals in the restaurant:

Click to view full size:

The address is 137 N Point Drive, Mt Orab. Coming east on State Route 32,  you exit onto State Route 68, turn left and go over the 32 overpass and turn left at the first light  and left again immediately and they are  behind Skyline Chili  in a strip shopping center.

I spoke to the owner today and he said all is ready for the opening but they are waiting on their furniture to come in from Mexico.  My guess is the opening should be around the beginning of next month. 
I learned today they will open on November 14th.

Mi Camino Real  opened for business yesterday:

I grabbed a couple of take out menus.  Their fare is similar to their locations in Georgetown and Maysville except they are offering a number of specialty shrimp dinners not available at their other locations - they are open seven days a week.  Our lunchbunch will eat there next week and offer comments photos etc.

<message edited by NYPIzzaNut on Sun, 11/22/09 10:11 PM>

NYPIzzaNut
Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs - Sat, 11/21/09 8:54 PM
NYPIzzaNut

Our lunchbunch dined here Thursday:

Tsao's Cuisine - Fairborn - Dayton | Urbanspoon

Tsao's Cuisine
(937) 429-5899
Fairborn 
3989 B Colonel Glenn Hwy
Dayton, OH 45431

photos and comments to follow shortly
Here are links to photos and a slideshow at Tsao's Cuisine:

http://s417.photobucket.com/albums/pp260/radians2009/Tsaos%20Cuisine%20Fairborn%20OH/?

http://s417.photobucket.com/albums/pp260/radians2009/Tsaos%20Cuisine%20Fairborn%20OH/?albumview=slideshow

All food on the buffet was well above average, for a buffet.  I particularly loved the rock salt shrimp, the soups, the sesame pork and the General Tsao Chicken.  I did prefer though the potato and sausage soup at Q's Raxx as it was tastier and in a cream sauce - Tsao's was in a broth and not as flavorful but it was still pretty good.  You could get egg drop too if you ask for it - the potato and sausage soup at Tsao's is offered only on Thursdays.  I did not ask if they have a special soup daily - just plain forget.

When we came in at 11 AM it was quiet and empty but within the hour the place was totally packed with a whole lot of folks including military personnel from Wright Pat.

I really wanted to order off the specialty board but frankly the buffet looked so good and reasonable that I could not resist it, nor could  my companions.   We were all pretty satisfied with the offerings of the buffet.

<message edited by NYPIzzaNut on Sat, 11/21/09 10:37 PM>

donw9876
Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs - Sat, 11/21/09 11:52 PM
Decent, thanks for the photo essay. The entrees in that buffet are among the freshest looking I've seen for a buffet.

EatingTheRoad
Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs - Sun, 11/22/09 9:16 AM

I really wanted to order off the specialty board but frankly the buffet looked so good and reasonable that I could not resist it, nor could my companions.

...nor do you read Mandarin I'm guessing Nice report! I'm glad the General Tsao's Chicken was good.

NYPIzzaNut
Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs - Sun, 11/22/09 10:19 AM
It was so good they had to replenish it two or three times the hour or so we were there.

The specialty board has  English translations.
<message edited by NYPIzzaNut on Sun, 11/22/09 12:09 PM>

NYPIzzaNut
Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs - Sun, 11/22/09 12:08 PM
I have never seen such a mob scene at a Chinese buffet.  Maybe everyone takes lunch at the same hour.

NYPIzzaNut
Tsao's Cuisine Fairborn Ohio - Sun, 11/22/09 8:55 PM
My fellow Lunchbuncher did such a nice job on this collage of Tsao's Cuisine I thought I would post it here directly:

<message edited by NYPIzzaNut on Sun, 11/22/09 9:00 PM>

donw9876
Re:Tsao's Cuisine Fairborn Ohio - Sun, 11/22/09 9:09 PM
NYPN, I think you guys should strip the captions off of your food collages and sell them back to the restaurants for their advertising.

The weird surrealism of all of that floating food is oddly enticing.

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Tsao's Cuisine Fairborn Ohio - Sun, 11/22/09 9:11 PM

NYPIzzaNut
Re: Mi Camino Real Mexican Restaurant Mt Orab Ohio - Sun, 11/22/09 10:20 PM
Here is an article on Mi Camino Real's grand opening this past Thursday:

http://www.newsrunner.com/display-article/?eUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.browncountypress.com%2Fmain.asp%3FSectionID%3D1%26SubSectionID%3D1%26ArticleID%3D10095%26TM%3D43689.99&eSrc=Brown+County+Press+-+Mt.+Orab+OH&eTitle=Mi+Camino+Real+opens+Nov.+19

Friday, November 20, 2009

Mi Camino Real opens Nov. 19

Wayne Boblitt
Press staff

Friday, November 20, 2009

Representatives of Mi Camino Real restaurant and the Brown County Chamber of Commerce celebrate the grand opening of the restaurant with a ribbon cutting Nov. 19. Mexican food enthusiasts living in the Mt. Orab area won't have to drive as far now to be served that cuisine.

Mi Camino Real opened for business at noon this past Thursday, Nov. 19, as Mt. Orab's newest eatery and first full-fledged Mexican restaurant.

Mi Camino Real is located by State Route 32 in the Northpoint Centre business plaza in the space formerly occupied by Royal Buffet, a Chinese restaurant.

Alex Mercado, manager of the new restaurant, is one of its owners as well. Mercado also manages and owns Mi Camino Real restaurant in Maysville, Ky., and Micasa Real restaurant, which opened Sept. 4 in downtown Georgetown across from the Brown County Courthouse.

Mercado said one reason he and the other owners of the new Mi Camino Real chose Mt. Orab as a site in which to open and operate a Mexican restaurant is because that village is in a growing area. He also mentioned how many Mt. Orab area residents had traveled to eat at the Maysville restaurant he owns.

Customers may enjoy a wide variety of Mexican beef, chicken, pork, shrimp and vegetarian offerings, the manager said. Customers also are treated to free chips and salsa.

Mercado said the restaurant is working to obtain a license to allow it to sell and serve alcoholic beverages to customers who enjoy those drinks with their meals.

Restaurant Can Seat 130

Mi Camino Real in Mt. Orab can seat about 130 people, Mercado reported. He said he expects the restaurant to employ 13 or 14 full-time and part-time employees.

Several brightly-covered painted scenes were added to the restaurant's walls prior to its opening, and even the backs of the chairs have some paintings, all to make the atmosphere of the eatery more cheerful and festive.

Mercado said he wants to invite the public to visit the new restaurant and see what it has to offer.

"We're very pleased to be there," he said in a Nov. 17 telephone interview. "We hope everyone likes the restaurant really well."

The new Mi Camino Real's hours will be 11 a.m.-10 p.m. Mondays through Thursdays, 11 a.m.-10:30 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays, and 11 a.m.-9:30 p.m. Sundays. The restaurant's telephone number is (937) 444-2200.

Mt. Orab Mayor Bruce Lunsford welcomed the new restaurant, saying it fills a void - a lack of Mexican restaurants - in that village.

Lunsford said he always is glad to see businesses locate in Mt. Orab and he was happy to see Mi Camino Real fill up vacant space in Northpoint Centre.

<message edited by NYPIzzaNut on Sun, 11/22/09 10:22 PM>

EatingTheRoad
Re: Mi Camino Real Mexican Restaurant Mt Orab Ohio - Mon, 11/23/09 7:50 AM
...dupe post...
<message edited by EatingTheRoad on Mon, 11/23/09 7:52 AM>

EatingTheRoad
Re: Mi Camino Real Mexican Restaurant Mt Orab Ohio - Mon, 11/23/09 7:50 AM
I wish I lived near you NYCPizzaNut, you do such a good job covering your local scene! Makes me want to eat at all the places.

NYPIzzaNut
Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Mon, 11/23/09 8:11 AM
Thanks but there is not a whole lot in Brown County restaurant-wise to keep up with!  When a new restaurant opens here it is big new.

NYPIzzaNut
Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Mon, 11/23/09 8:46 AM
Just wanted to share with you the latest two take out pizza pies we got last Thursday from Troni's Pizzeria in Kettering (on the way back from Tsao's Cuisine) - the plain large one went home with me and the four topping small one went home with my fellow lunchbuncher - both were excellent!!

EatingTheRoad
Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Mon, 11/23/09 9:21 AM
Wait a sec....you picked this up on the way home from lunch?!? Now I really wish I lived near you...you my friend are a champion Roadfoodie!

NYPIzzaNut
Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Mon, 11/23/09 9:53 AM
Well we played several games of Scrabble at the local library and then we headed over to Troni's - we always do this when in the general Dayton vicinity as we both live a good piece from that area and they make the best NY style pizza pies in southwest Ohio.

Being an ex-New Yorker it would be criminal not to pick up take up pizza from Troni's on the way home - I would eat there but my fellow lunchbunch crew love experiencing new places each week so I have to settle for take out pizza from Troni's.  My wife also loves their pizzas as do I.

Troni's is owned by a close knit Albanian family but you wouldn't know it from the great Italian food they offer.

Soccer862923
  • Total Posts : 208
Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs - Mon, 11/23/09 8:57 PM
NYPIzzaNut

I have never seen such a mob scene at a Chinese buffet.  Maybe everyone takes lunch at the same hour.

I work at Wright Patt and it has become quite the popular spot for lunch with most of the people I work with. The nice part about the limited variety is that they are constantly replenishing items as they run out quicker, which means they are much fresher.

What you lose in variety you more than make up for in quality. If they only had a few items that the other Chinese buffet down the road had, I would never go anywhere else for lunch.

NYPIzzaNut
Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs - Tue, 11/24/09 8:06 PM
Do they have the same buffet items daily in general?  They do not have much room with their set up.  What other items would you want to see there?

Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 4 of 15, messages 181 to 240 of 878