Hot!Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out.

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 11
Author
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2561
2009/07/09 22:57:53 (permalink)

Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out.

Here's the deal, for several years I've been vowing to taste test all my favorite Wisconsin bratwurst to determine the best.  I'm going to do it this year, and you are invited to join the taste test and cast your vote.

Unless someone comes up with a better idea, I intend to do it at my place.  The Sunday of Labor Day weekend is the target right now.

Among the contenders for best Sheboygan Style Bratwurst:
If you have any other favorites, nominate them and bring them along.

Foodbme - Check your mail for that First Class ticket.

315 Replies Related Threads

ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8317
    Re:Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out. 2009/07/09 23:47:04 (permalink)
    Wow!!! I can walk to Karls( less than a mile) and our friends really like jacobsen bros.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4177
    Re:Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out. 2009/07/10 00:51:14 (permalink)
    Just a quick note to all my Milwaukee pals who are reading this and also considering getting together this coming Monday as I return from Minnneapolis to Chicago via Beer Town: As a personal favor to my good friend JRPfeff, I will be carrying the brats from RJ's located in Hudson, WI (they will remain frozen until the labor Day weekend festivities).  As I'm making the stop anyway, I would be happy to extend this favor to all interested parties who would like to join us for dinner (no firm location yet) on that Monday evening.

Check out RJ's website (linked above in JRP's post) and place your order either on this thread, my Roadhouse/Twin Cities Eat & Greet thread, or in a private email here at Roadfood.  I'll purchase the goods at around noon-1:00pm and have them in your collective hot little hands at around 5:00-6:00pm that evening fresh from the cooler.

As for Jim's planned soiree on the 6th of September, you can count me in.  I'll bring some kind of side dish and maybe some beer or a half gallon of Kopp's for dessert.  This sounds like an appropriate end of summer blow-out for the Milwaukee/Chicago contingency.  Who knows, maybe even ChiTownDiner will be healthy enough to make the trek!  That would be the best Labor Day celebration of all!

Buddy
    abe_froeman
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 699
    Re:Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out. 2009/07/10 02:24:06 (permalink)
    Sounds good to me, but don't count that as official until the date gets closer!
    stricken_detective
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2330
    Re:Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out. 2009/07/10 02:58:44 (permalink)
    JRPfeff

Here's the deal, for several years I've been vowing to taste test all my favorite Wisconsin bratwurst to determine the best.  I'm going to do it this year, and you are invited to join the taste test and cast your vote.

Unless someone comes up with a better idea, I intend to do it at my place.  The Sunday of Labor Day weekend is the target right now.

This is awesome & I was gonna suggest you guys try this at home, with blindfolds (blind taste test) & take pics, but this is like 1000x better.

What is the Mrs making for dessert? Her little chocolate tart things? The lemon raspberry pie? That one pie? With the nuts? Or the other one, with the chocolate?

You want us to bring side dishes? I can do that. 
    JRPfeff
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out. 2009/07/10 10:01:53 (permalink)
    I've had some discussions about this event with Buddy.  We are going to be a lot more low key than the Smoke Day Party.  This will be potluck for side dishes and I'd like guests to supply some of the brats.  I may need someone to run to Sheboygan to procure the proper brat buns.

AnnP - You are signed up to bring brats from Karl's.

Buddy - Thanks for stopping for me.  I'm still waiting on your report from Dick's.

s_d - Side dishes? Yes.  Desserts?  What are you talking about?

abe - Enjoy the wedding.
    stricken_detective
    Re:Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out. 2009/07/10 13:57:24 (permalink)

MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3140
    Re:Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out. 2009/07/10 14:33:58 (permalink)
    ChuckL is talking about making a New Glarus/Monroe run. When we go, I'll pick up some Ruef's  and Hoesly's http://www.hoeslysmeats.com/

I'll keep the brats to the traditional to keep the tasting on a level playing field.

Rolls from City Bakery in Sheboygan can be frozen as they should always be given a quick crisp on the grill anytime you use them.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15175
    Re:Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out. 2009/07/10 16:42:01 (permalink)
    Keep the review comments coming. I am taking notes as fast as I can !!!
    stricken_detective
    Re:Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out. 2009/07/10 18:40:18 (permalink)
    MilwFoodlovers
    Rolls from City Bakery in Sheboygan can be frozen as they should always be given a quick crisp on the grill anytime you use them.

I concur. City Bakery is where it's at.

ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8317
    Re:Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out. 2009/07/10 18:53:17 (permalink)
    Hell, I will eat City Bakery hard rolls with butter any day.
    JRPfeff
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out. 2009/07/10 19:02:31 (permalink)
    Wow!  Three volunteers to pick up the brat rolls already. 

Fantastic!
    abe_froeman
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 699
    Re:Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out. 2009/07/10 19:15:51 (permalink)
    Nope, no wedding.  This is on the official Froeman-household calendar, so if someone schedules a wedding that day, I won't be there. 

I'll bring a side dish of some sort.
    X1
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 940
    Re:Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out. 2009/07/10 21:47:34 (permalink)
    Sounds fun!
    Put me down as a tentative yes (I never know when my family decides to schedule things that I'm supposed to attend).

Don't know what I'll bring, but I'll think of something.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out. 2009/07/11 02:26:42 (permalink)
    JRPfeff
    Buddy - Thanks for stopping for me.  I'm still waiting on your report from Dick's.

JRP, I had started a lengthy, thoughtful review of Dick's Bar in my Twin Cities thread.  I was typing away on the hotel provided computer which is set up with different commands than a typical home computer.  I had just about completed the darned thing when, with one errant key stroke (I still don't know what I did wrong), I blew the whole thing away.  It was late, I was tired, I wanted to smash the keyboard into very small pieces but avoided such activity in an effort to keep my hotel bill at a reasonable rate.  I gave up and went to bed.  I still haven't had the wherewithal to redo the dadgum thing, but here is my abridged version:

Excellent old time bar, virtually unchanged from its founding in the mid 1860s.  Possible exception would be the large flat screen TVs hung throughout the room.  The Big Richard Burger was outstanding.  Almost, almost, almost as good as the burgers at Fred's Bar in Burlington.  The Big Richard is a 1/3 pound burger, smothered in sauteed fresh mushrooms (nuthin' out of the can!) and onions, oozing with melted Swiss cheese, all blanketed by a generous portion of thinly sliced smoked ham.  The burger was cooked to medium rare perfection and was accompanied by a double sized portion of fresh cut, skin on, skinny (not quite shoestrings) fries.

If Mpls/StP didn't offer so many breakfast and lunch options that I haven't tried yet, I might consider stopping at Dick's Bar again on my way out of town before stopping at RJ's for the brats.  Can't thank you enough JRP for the rec on Dick's.

Buddy

Dick's Bar & Grill
    111 Walnut Street
    Hudson  WI  54016
    (715) 386-5222
    http://www.dicksbargrill.com/

P.S. JRP, take a look at RJ's website and double check which variety of brats you want me to pick up.  I looked at the selection and decided there were too many choices for me to be trusted to make the right decision.

B.
    JRPfeff
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out. 2009/07/11 08:51:47 (permalink)
    My goodness, RJ's has a lot of bratwurst varieties.

I'll be sticking with RJ's Traditional Brats - "Our original Bratwurst. Very nice blend of spices for a truly genuine bratwurst flavor. 2008 Reserve Champion."

How boring.

Also buy one pound of their traditionally seasoned chicken brats for me.

Bobbi and Ammieeeee are narrowing down the choices for next Monday.  Do you prefer Machine Shed, Olive Garden or Denny's?

Jim
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6321
    Re:Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out. 2009/07/11 09:23:31 (permalink)
    BuddyRoadhouse
    JRP, I had started a lengthy, thoughtful review of Dick's Bar in my Twin Cities thread.  I was typing away on the hotel provided computer which is set up with different commands than a typical home computer.  I had just about completed the darned thing when, with one errant key stroke (I still don't know what I did wrong), I blew the whole thing away.  It was late, I was tired, I wanted to smash the keyboard into very small pieces but avoided such activity in an effort to keep my hotel bill at a reasonable rate.  I gave up and went to bed.  I still haven't had the wherewithal to redo the dadgum thing, but here is my abridged version:
    B.

I know one thing that will bomb you out while typing a message. If you use your cursor outside the edit window and click on something like a scroll bar to go re-read something you are responding to and then go back to your edit window you will still see the blinking input vertical bar but if you type nothing will happen. In order to type again you have to click again inside the edit window. This is when it gets dicey. Often you'll see that blinking cursor bar and decide to backspace to move it. If you backspace (delete key) without first clicking your mouse in the edit window your whole message will disappear. This is a vicious bug of this particular message board software I have never encountered in any other.

BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out. 2009/07/11 11:24:14 (permalink)
    JRPfeff
    Bobbi and Ammieeeee are narrowing down the choices for next Monday.  Do you prefer Machine Shed, Olive Garden or Denny's?

Jim

Golly, couldn't we do a tour of all three?  Maybe a progressive dinner-appetizers at Machine Shed, entrees at Olive Garden, and dessert at Denny's?

X1 has also expressed an interest in meeting on Monday.  As I mentioned to her in an email, because all this planning started after I left Chicago, I don't have my Milwaukee map with me.  Wherever we go, it'll either need to be someplace simple to get to, or else give me detailed directions from I-94 coming from the west.  Once again, I am putting the offer out there to anyone else who is interested in having me pick something up for them at RJ's.  Place your order here and I'll get whatever you need.

Buddy

X1
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out. 2009/07/11 12:39:56 (permalink)
    As Buddy said, he did email me, and mentioned something less meat-intensive, and then brought up Fortune; not a new place, but well-beloved by all, with the added bonus of knowing how to get there.

So, Fortune it is, if nobody objects. No set time, but sometime between 5 - 7 PM. Buddy said he would call when leaving Madison, so everyone will have about an hour's heads-up. As soon as he calls me, I'll post the time here, so keep an eye on this thread on Monday afternoon.

See you Monday!
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    Re:Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out. 2009/07/11 12:46:54 (permalink)
    Darn, I thought this thread was about roadfood restaurants.
    X1
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out. 2009/07/11 12:58:52 (permalink)
    MiamiDon

You are more than welcome to hop a plane and taste-test along with us!
    JRPfeff
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out. 2009/07/11 13:08:19 (permalink)
    MiamiDon

Funny how that worked out.  Bobbi & I were looking for a good place to go with Buddy on Monday and about all we could see close to the Interstate were chains.  Several local places have gone away in the last year.

BTW - We will not limit the brat taste-off to Wisconsin products.  I recall in other threads that folks claimed that Florida and Ohio had the best brats.  If someone wants to bring something here to shame us Cheeseheads, I will add them to the blind tasting.  Their products will have as fair a chance as any of the native brats.
    stricken_detective
    Re:Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out. 2009/07/11 14:18:58 (permalink)
    We went to Fortune 2 weeks ago for lunch. The service was DEPLORABLE.

He asked to move us to a smaller table (they were not busy enough to warrant this, there was only one other table with 2 people at it) then took way too long to get our drinks even ordered. Longer wait to be brought to the table, then e v e n  l o n g e r for the food (we were ready to order when we first sat down). No refills. (I drink a LOT due to my kidney meds, this was unacceptable.) Horrible. Not sure I want to go back, also I work until 7. If you're doing Fortune, I'm gonna have to respectfully decline.

Also I may have a connection @ City Bakery, please stand by.
    post edited by stricken_detective - 2009/07/11 14:21:00
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6321
    Re:Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out. 2009/07/11 14:20:34 (permalink)
    JRPfeff
    BTW - We will not limit the brat taste-off to Wisconsin products.  I recall in other threads that folks claimed that Florida and Ohio had the best brats.  If someone wants to bring something here to shame us Cheeseheads, I will add them to the blind tasting.  Their products will have as fair a chance as any of the native brats.

Darn I told Buddyroadhouse last night I would have brought Minnesota's Kramarczuk's or Mackenthun's sausage if we weren't going to be in California on another road trip that weekend.

http://www.kramarczuk.com/Sausage/Sausage.html

http://jeancooks.blogspot.com/2006/09/mackenthuns-sausage-deli.html
    stricken_detective
    Re:Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out. 2009/07/11 14:22:18 (permalink)
    JRPfeffblind tasting.

How many blindfolds do you want me to bring?

BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out. 2009/07/11 23:01:25 (permalink)
    Davydd

JRPfeff
    BTW - We will not limit the brat taste-off to Wisconsin products.

Darn I told Buddyroadhouse last night I would have brought Minnesota's Kramarczuk's or Mackenthun's sausage if we weren't going to be in California on another road trip that weekend.

http://www.kramarczuk.com/Sausage/Sausage.html

http://jeancooks.blogspot.com/2006/09/mackenthuns-sausage-deli.html

No guarantees but, if you want me to stop at either of these places I can pick up some Minnesota brats to add to the grill.

BTW, if you guys call us Illinoisans "flatlanders", you must have some adorable nickname for the folks who share your western border.  Any thoughts?

As for Monday night, Fortune was just a thought I threw out there based on my desire for something different from what I've been eating lately on the road.  I just wanted something that was less meat intensive as a break.  I don't want to totally hijack this thread (I guess once Monday has come and gone we'll get back on track), but I'm wide open to suggestions.  You guys work it out and let me know.

Buddy

quijote
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 645
    Re:Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out. 2009/07/11 23:06:05 (permalink)
    JRPfeff

MiamiDon

Funny how that worked out.  Bobbi & I were looking for a good place to go with Buddy on Monday and about all we could see close to the Interstate were chains.  Several local places have gone away in the last year.

Not sure I'll be in town for Labor Day weekend, but if I am, I'll come with a green side dish of some sort.

When I'm in Buffalo, NY next month I'll stop by Spar's or some other sausage maker and get some brats for the cookoff.

www.sparseuropeansausage.com

If I can come, I'll bring 'em personally, but if I can't, I'll relay them via someone else from the Mke group....
    stricken_detective
    Re:Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out. 2009/07/13 01:38:05 (permalink)
    My connection works at the West Side Bakery, home of Fuzzy's Buns. The penultimate fluffy Sheboygan hanburger bun. We also use 'em to make double brat sandwiches. Let me know if you want me to get some & how many.

Do you need me to pick up some Plochman's?

X1
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out. 2009/07/13 06:57:10 (permalink)
    Since nobody else threw out any suggestions, I asked, and Buddy has agreed to, Mexican food at Jalapeno Loco, across from the airport. He says he'll be in town between 6 and 7.

Chile Rellenos! Chiles en Nogades! Seafood Enchiladas! Horchata!

Does this work for everyone?
    quijote
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 645
    Re:Wisconsin's best bratwurst? Let's find out. 2009/07/13 12:54:24 (permalink)
    X1

Since nobody else threw out any suggestions, I asked, and Buddy has agreed to, Mexican food at Jalapeno Loco, across from the airport. He says he'll be in town between 6 and 7.

Chile Rellenos! Chiles en Nogades! Seafood Enchiladas! Horchata!

Does this work for everyone?

I might be able to go, but won't know until mid/late afternoon....

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 11
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1