'Man v. Food' guy taking on Joe Rogers chili

Dr of BBQ
  • Total Posts : 3716
  • Reward points : 0
'Man v. Food' guy taking on Joe Rogers chili - Mon, 07/13/09 7:15 AM

'Man v. Food' guy taking on Joe Rogers chili
Adam Richman, host of the Travel Channel’s “Man v. Food” television show, will attempt to down five bowls of tongue-scalding Firebrand chili at Joe Rogers’ Original Recipe Chili Parlor as part of an episode he will start taping in Springfield on Friday.

Richman and his crew first will record a segment about Springfield’s classic horseshoe sandwich Friday at D’Arcy’s Pint. On Saturday, they will cruise over to Cozy Dog Drive In, where Richman will bite into the eatery’s famed deep-fried battered dog on a stick. And on Monday, July 20, the production team will go to Joe Rogers’, where the do-or-die Firebrand challenge will start about 1:30 p.m., said owner Rose Hamilton.

“No one has been able to eat more than four bowls of Firebrand. (Richman) will try to break the record,” she said.
“Man v. Food” takes the affable Richman — an actor and former restaurant worker — throughout the nation, where he highlights culinary history and local tourist spots. After zealously sampling signature dishes at several restaurants, he engages in a David-vs.-Goliath challenge with a gargantuan or intensely spicy restaurant dish.

Sometimes Richman is able to polish off his offending opponent; other times he stops before exploding or combusting.
The hourlong TV series airs locally at 9 p.m. Wednesdays on cable channel 62.
Springfield Convention and Visitors Bureau spokesman Jeff Berg said the Travel Channel contacted the bureau in late April or early May.

“Springfield had come across their radar. They gave us an opportunity to submit suggestions to see what would work,” he said.

The bureau provided the names of several restaurants, as well as other spots worthy of shooting. Final locations were chosen by the network.

Travel Channel spokeswoman Marjorie Hall said the tapings will be done on a closed set to minimize interference with “production and host time for Adam in front of the camera.” She declined to give the times when Richman would be in the three Springfield restaurants.

However, Hallie Pierceall of D’Arcy’s Pint, 661 W. Stanford Ave., said she was told the crew would be there Friday from about 1:30 to 6:45 p.m. Josh Waldmire from Cozy Dog, 2935 S. Sixth St., said the team would arrive about 10 a.m. Saturday and stay all day. Hamilton from Joe Rogers’, 820 S. Ninth St., is expecting the cameras at 7 a.m. Monday and was told they would remain there about eight hours.

All three eateries will remain open during the “Man v. Food” visits.

Hall did not have an air date, but the Springfield episode probably will run about eight weeks after filming.
Joe Rogers’, aka The Den, sells chili in a variety of heat levels.

“The spices are cooked into the meat. It’s the meat that is hot,” said Hamilton. “Firebrand has four scoops of meat in the bowl.” The chili called Hot — a step down in intensity — has just two scoops.

Hamilton said a serving of Firebrand weighs between three-quarters of a pound and one pound. Those with the fortitude to finish a bowl get their names posted on a wall.

“It’s very spicy,” she said. “When I pour it out, I have to cover my nose.”
Kathryn Rem can be reached at 788-1520.

http://www.sj-r.com/entertainment/x931228505/Travel-Channel-to-offer-Man-vs-Chili

PapaJoe8
  • Total Posts : 5504
Re:'Man v. Food' guy taking on Joe Rogers chili - Mon, 07/13/09 1:50 PM
Dr., thanks for posting this! I can't wait to see this.

As some here might know I am a student of recreating famous chili recipes. This one is on my list. Anyone here want to share some insight? I know you can get it w/ or w/o beans. w/ or w/o the heat, and w/or w/o the grease. I have even heard that some folks just order a bowl of the grease. Everything is kept apart till it's served... neat!
Joe
<message edited by PapaJoe8 on Mon, 07/13/09 4:19 PM>

ScreamingChicken
  • Total Posts : 4729
Re:'Man v. Food' guy taking on Joe Rogers chili - Mon, 07/13/09 2:10 PM

Adam Richman, host of the Travel Channel’s “Man v. Food” television show, will attempt to down five bowls of tongue-scalding Firebrand chili at Joe Rogers’ Original Recipe Chili Parlor as part of an episode he will start taping in Springfield on Friday.
“The spices are cooked into the meat. It’s the meat that is hot,” said Hamilton. “Firebrand has four scoops of meat in the bowl.” The chili called Hot — a step down in intensity — has just two scoops.
Hamilton said a serving of Firebrand weighs between three-quarters of a pound and one pound. Those with the fortitude to finish a bowl get their names posted on a wall.

“It’s very spicy,” she said. “When I pour it out, I have to cover my nose.”

Dr., have you ever had the Firebrand chili?  If Richman's going to try to eat 4 to 5 pounds of it what kind of a treat is he in for?

Brad

Inthewater
  • Total Posts : 129
Re:'Man v. Food' guy taking on Joe Rogers chili - Mon, 07/13/09 3:23 PM
That's gonna be one "morning after" he won't soon forget.....(hears "Ring of Fire" playing in the background...)

:D  :D

PapaJoe8
Re:'Man v. Food' guy taking on Joe Rogers chili - Mon, 07/13/09 4:24 PM
Don't count Adam out. He ate tha BIG Texan steak and a whole bunch of oysters in N.O.. And some REAL hot stuff from several places.
Joe

Dr of BBQ
Re:'Man v. Food' guy taking on Joe Rogers chili - Mon, 07/13/09 11:19 PM
[font=""times new roman","serif""]

Ok folks here is the how to on Springfield Chilli.

And that's the way we spell it.

The big thing is the beef suet. It's rendered and some folks cook the meat in it others keep the meat separate until it’s done and add the two together in a single pot.

The beans are always kept separate until it’s mixed in the bowl.

The heat is from the spices mixed into both the Suet and meat.

Or as some in this area cook chilli they add the heat to the meat but then as soon as the meat is done mix the two together.

The meat is cooked until it’s very fine like the meat you get on a good chilli dog.

I have had people tell me to cook the burger with just enough water to cover until it’s way over done drain the meat and add that to the suet with the spices already in the suet.

I spice my meat and cook it in small batches until 90% done and dump it into a big pot, when I get all the meat cooked I use a boat motor to grind it into a fine texture.

Then I render my suet with spices and add it to the cooked meat. I make 5 gallons at a time for the stand and freeze it in bricks. If you live out of state try this web site for Chilli spice it’s very very  good. Booker's Chilli Seasoning, Glenarm, IL 217/741-4473
www.bookerschilli.com

Now I just got off the phone with them because his web site is down and he told me that he is moving to a new internet provider and it should be up in 3 or 4 days.

So you’ll need some suet, good burger 70% if you can find it or grind your own, Booker’s Chilli Spice, thyme, red pepper, garlic, cumin, onions, paprika, black pepper, salt, and drained Kidney beans. I use 6 lbs of suet, somtime more dependig on how much it renders. It should have about a 1/4 inch of oil on top on the meat when your done

Place suet in pan (the suet adds the flavor!); let start to melt.

Add meat, onions, garlic, seasonings cook until done. Place in long flat pans; cool. Cut in bricks. Freeze. Wrap in foil; store in freezer until needed. Add kidney beans and 1 can water to each brick. Heat and serve.

I had my first Firebrand at 16 or 17 and got my name on the wall (read the article) but that's not what I eat now.

But I eat there about once a week and eat a medium with two touches of hot. That means they take two scoops of hot meat (firebrand) and one scoop of medium meat.  It’s not killer hot but it has a nice heat that you can live with.

The firebrand isn't killer hot but it will make you break out into a sweat. Or at least it makes me sweat and by the time your done your hair is at least damp. LOL

Can he eat 5 bowls      I could not that's for sure

<message edited by Dr of BBQ on Mon, 07/13/09 11:35 PM>

Dr of BBQ
Re:'Man v. Food' guy taking on Joe Rogers chili - Mon, 07/13/09 11:30 PM
I have even heard that some folks just order a bowl of the grease.

I doubt that becuase the suet is mixed into the meat. So in pan one you have suet and meat. In pan two you have beans in their own juice.

The Den cooks 4 different heat levels of meat and suet. Mild, Med, Hot, Firebrand, and then you can get variations by mixing Firebrand with the lesser heated meats. Mild with a touch, or med with a touch or med with two touches.

But the beans are always kept separate in their own juice. Thaty's just so they can make the varrations per each order or you'd have to have 15 differant pans of Chilli hot all the time. I hope you all understand this I'm not sure I'm explaining it very well. I don't add beans to my chilli I sell at the stand because I use mine both as chilli and for chilli cheese dogs.

If you don't understand my post in anyway just call me and I'll explain it or help in anyway I can

217-744-9999 The Dr of BBQ

11;00 AM until at least 7:00 PM

if I'm not there tell them your a Roadfood call and ask for my cell number. I'd like everyone to taste Springfield Chilli at least once and if you live in another state the best way is make it at home.

Jack
<message edited by Dr of BBQ on Tue, 07/14/09 12:26 AM>

PapaJoe8
Re:'Man v. Food' guy taking on Joe Rogers chili - Tue, 07/14/09 3:03 PM
Thanks again Dr.! Wow what a great recipe post!!! And thanks for the tip about Bookers!

Not sure where I read that some folks just order the grease. I looked for a while but couldn't find it. I am bad about looking at allot of info and then not remembering where I saw it.  Maybe one of the many locations that served Joe Rogers kept the suet separate from the meat? It was an Ill. Times article that said folks could order w/ or w/o "oil". A thread here about "chili parlor changing hands" also mentioned ordering as much "oil" as you want. I am guessing that meant the grease from the suet.

There is also a good picture  of a bowl of this chili here at Roadfood. Maybe someone could post the link or the review? It was by Michael and the picture was from Buffetbuster.
Joe

Dr of BBQ
Re:'Man v. Food' guy taking on Joe Rogers chili - Tue, 07/14/09 3:43 PM
First the Illinois Times is a free and poorly written newspaper so you can’t count on them for very accurate news. But what the Den Chilli parlor meat when someone said hold the grease was: You can order just regular chilli or some health conscious people trying to cut back on supposed unhealthy food will ask “hold the grease” meaning use a slotted spoon instead of the normal dipper and the staff will press as much of the ¼ to ½ inch of grease that floats on top of the meat out using the side of the pan.

Others get an extra bowl of beans and bean juice and then remix it table side in order to stretch the bowl into two bowls and cut the grease in half.

But I promise you no one here in Springfield holods the grease separate from the meat while keeping it hot for food service.

It just dawned on me that most of the out of town people don’t have a really good experience when they visit the Den because they wouldn’t understand the entire lingo and how to order what they want.

Interesting.
<message edited by Dr of BBQ on Tue, 07/14/09 3:55 PM>

billyboy
  • Total Posts : 2363
Re:'Man v. Food' guy taking on Joe Rogers chili - Tue, 07/14/09 4:28 PM
I don't know if Adam can do this one.  he has knocked back the large quantities like the Big Texan and wolfed down some seriously fiery ramen, curry and wings.  However, the hot foods he has eaten have never been in overly large quantities. Combining ferocious heat AND 5 lbs of meat may do him in.  In any cae, I most certainly would NOT want to be in the hotel room next to his when he tries to sleep after that challenge!

Dr of BBQ
Re:'Man v. Food' guy taking on Joe Rogers chili - Mon, 07/20/09 7:47 PM
I went to the Den today about 4:00 pm and the parking lot was full of cars as I walked up to the door a guy walked out and I asked what the heck was going on, he just laughed and said some crazy man is trying to eat 5 bowls of firebrand.

Heck I thought the show/firebrand thing was supposed to be Friday.  But I went in and got my order to go and they had cameras set up and were just getting started. So I don't know how it came out and I was surprised to not see any local press. There may be something in the State Journal Register  tomorrow, and if there is I’ll pass it along.

Dr of BBQ
Re:'Man v. Food' guy taking on Joe Rogers chili - Tue, 07/21/09 8:01 AM

mr chips
  • Total Posts : 4715
Re:'Man v. Food' guy taking on Joe Rogers chili - Tue, 07/28/09 2:46 PM
Thanks for the link. Looking forward to the show.

badbyron722
  • Total Posts : 307
Re:'Man v. Food' guy taking on Joe Rogers chili - Wed, 07/29/09 8:47 AM
Love this show.

Scorereader
  • Total Posts : 5546
Re:'Man v. Food' guy taking on Joe Rogers chili - Wed, 07/29/09 1:19 PM
I like the host, but not the premise of each show. I mean, is overeating really somthing to be commended? Or eating overly hot wings? As a wing guy (Buffalo Wing to avoid confusion) I think there's a heat index that shouldn't be passed. Once passed, you lose taste in place of heat. IMO, there's little point other than to say, "I can eat hotter wings than you." Which may be true, but those outlandishly hot wings have little flavor.

I prefer Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern. It's not a show about overeating, it's about getting exposure to food items around the world. His Spain trip looked awesome. If I go to Spain, I may follow his itinerary - except for the $400 per plate place.

In any case, though, I do like the host of Man v. Food. He's a nut, and looks like a fun guy to hang with. For me, he makes the show work, not the premise.

cameron074
  • Total Posts : 135
Re:'Man v. Food' guy taking on Joe Rogers chili - Wed, 07/29/09 3:43 PM
Scorereader

I like the host, but not the premise of each show. I mean, is overeating really somthing to be commended? Or eating overly hot wings? As a wing guy (Buffalo Wing to avoid confusion) I think there's a heat index that shouldn't be passed. Once passed, you lose taste in place of heat. IMO, there's little point other than to say, "I can eat hotter wings than you." Which may be true, but those outlandishly hot wings have little flavor.

I prefer Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern. It's not a show about overeating, it's about getting exposure to food items around the world. His Spain trip looked awesome. If I go to Spain, I may follow his itinerary - except for the $400 per plate place.

In any case, though, I do like the host of Man v. Food. He's a nut, and looks like a fun guy to hang with. For me, he makes the show work, not the premise.

I'm pretty much the opposite. I don't think Adam Richman is that great on camera, but the challenges and eateries are always interesting for me. I LOVE No Reservations and Bizarre Foods though. Both great shows, both make me want to try strange, new things.

Foodosaurus
  • Total Posts : 622
Re:'Man v. Food' guy taking on Joe Rogers chili - Wed, 07/29/09 3:51 PM
cameron074

Scorereader

I'm pretty much the opposite. I don't think Adam Richman is that great on camera, but the challenges and eateries are always interesting for me. I LOVE No Reservations and Bizarre Foods though. Both great shows, both make me want to try strange, new things.

Adam kind of reminds me of myself actually.  I would love to have his job, but I couldn't eat some of the things he gets down.

On the other hand, I like the other two shows, but there are times that I have to turn "Bizarre Foods" off because of what he's eating.

Dr of BBQ
Re:'Man v. Food' guy taking on Joe Rogers chili - Sun, 10/4/09 7:08 AM
Joe Rogers' chili to star on 'Man v. Food' Wednesday
An episode of the Travel Channel’s “Man v. Food” show that was shot in Springfield in July will air at 9 p.m. Wednesday on Comcast Channel 62.

On the half-hour program, host Adam Richman visits Cozy Dog Drive In, D’Arcy’s Pint, Joe Rogers’ Original Recipe Chili Parlor and local tourist sites. Each episode pits Richman, a voracious eater, against either a super-spicy dish or one of gargantuan proportions. In the Springfield segment, his “challenge” is Joe Rogers’ Firebrand chili.

Joe Rogers’ owner, Rose Lober-Hamilton, was told her segment is 17 minutes long.

“Ever since he was here, people have asked what Adam is like,” she said. “I tell them he’s a character and he’s very funny.”

The restaurant at 820 S. Ninth St. was packed with locals on the day the New York-based crew was here to record the challenge.

Lober-Hamilton was asked by the crew not to reveal much about the challenge, although she will say Richman’s name is on the wall of her restaurant, an honor bestowed upon those who finish at least one bowl of Firebrand.

“People have come in and taken pictures of his name on the wall,” she said.

Previews for the Springfield segment on the Travel Channel show Richman, an actor and former restaurant worker, calling Joe Rogers’ chili “pure evil.”

At Cozy Dog, 2935 S. Sixth St., Richman focused on the battered and deep-fried hot dog-on-a-stick, plus the french fries and cheeseburgers.

“I’m anxious to see how much is in the episode and how much is on the cutting room floor,” said owner Sue Waldmire. The crew was in the restaurant for eight hours. She’s hoping they left in an interview between her son, Josh, and Richman.

Springfield’s signature sandwich, the horseshoe, was highlighted during the D’Arcy’s Pint segment. Richman and D’Arcy’s owner Hallie Pierceall shared a Spicy Supreme horseshoe on camera.

The TVs in the Irish pub at 661 W. Stanford Ave. will be tuned into “Man v. Food” at 9 p.m. Wednesday.

This week’s episode description on the Travel Channel’s Web site (www.travelchannel.com) reads: “Adam Richman’s food quest continues to Springfield, IL, where he’ll sample a local favorite called The Horseshoe; visit the place that invented the corndog; and take the Firebrand Chili Challenge at Joe Roger’s Chili Parlor.”

In related news, Season 1 of “Man v. Food” will be released on DVD on Tuesday (Oct. 6).

Kathryn Rem can be reached at 788-1520.

http://www.sj-r.com/enter...n-Man-v-Food-Wednesday

Dr of BBQ
Re:'Man v. Food' guy taking on Joe Rogers chili - Sun, 10/11/09 10:20 PM
So did he do it? I didn't see the show.
Jack

billyboy
  • Total Posts : 2363
Re:'Man v. Food' guy taking on Joe Rogers chili - Mon, 10/12/09 4:57 AM
Adam managed to down 5 bowls of the chili, tying the current record.  He was trying for 6, but he really struggled with the first bowl and somehow hunkered down for 4 more.

Mosca
  • Total Posts : 2935
Re:'Man v. Food' guy taking on Joe Rogers chili - Fri, 01/29/10 9:16 PM
LOL, I just watched this episode. The Cozy Dogs look awesome. The horseshoes might be good, might be a bit over the top; the chili looks like the greasiest stuff I ever saw in my life. I would suspect that I could probably eat one bowl of medium, but that hot looks too greasy. Remember, it's not just hot going in. It's also hot going out.

battra
  • Total Posts : 103
Re:'Man v. Food' guy taking on Joe Rogers chili - Wed, 02/3/10 2:30 PM
I finally watched that show last night.  I'd never seen it, but been told a few times that I needed to check it out.

Thought it was great...I would like to see the ones he did in St. Louis though...I know he went to Crown Candy Kitchen, an institution, and Iron Barley, a new place.

zimm3839
  • Total Posts : 31
Re:'Man v. Food' guy taking on Joe Rogers chili - Mon, 07/19/10 12:05 PM
I love to see Adam in action!!!!  Im 4 hours from springfield. Im gonna try the chili...

PapaJoe8
Re:'Man v. Food' guy taking on Joe Rogers chili - Fri, 07/23/10 4:33 PM
I got the idea from the Joe Rogers chili discussion, here at Roadfood, to serve the grease as an optional addition. I know the Joe Roger folks can just dip out the chili in a way to have more or less grease. I have separated the grease into a diff pot and that works good. Hey, some folks want the grease and some folks don't.

And, I have the stuff to make it HOT as an optional addition. When serving chili to 20 or so folks, including little kids, this works out great. just like at Joe Rogers, you can have the chili your way. Hmm, that would make a good slogan for somebody. :~)

Oh, the hot stuff I offer is... pickled jalapenos, chopped onions, a variety of picante and hot sauces, Tony's Cajun More Spice, cayenne pepper, and of coarse black pepper.

And oh, ketchup is also available for the little ones... and for those who want things even milder.

My 22qt. chili pot is always empty when it's over. :~)
Joe

aliciaj
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:'Man v. Food' guy taking on Joe Rogers chili - Fri, 03/8/13 2:44 PM
This was honestly the worst place I could have eaten in Springfield. The service was pathetic and I quickly overheard the workers spewing terrible language and insults among themselves about the customers and spent too much time on their phones. On top of that, my order was incorrect and when it was finally given to me, the grease made the food unbearable. I truly wish I could give no stars at all. The service is terrible, the owners are terrible, the food is terrible. As a warning to all who consider going here: DON'T.