Malteds

Double Chili Cheeseburger
2009/07/21 18:17:36
Growing up we called them malted milkshakes and they were definitely different from a regular milkshake, how to describe, but they had a tang (ah.... the malt) to them, that no one seems to make any more (Sonic is close).  I even tried making a chocolate malt at home using Carnation malted powder, but it just didn't have that distinct taste, and resulted more like a chocolate milkshake.

Any other products you can recommed trying at home?  And please tell me that I'm not losing it, as it was something special and that its just not around anymore? 

X1
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Malteds 2009/07/21 18:31:29
Yes - Horlick's.

It used to be made in the states, but now is out of England. You can order it online. I've also found it at World Market, so maybe take a trip to Metry and check there.
It's listed as a "sleepytime" or "children's" thing, but no worries - it's the same malt we are used to from childhood days.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re:Malteds 2009/07/21 19:00:59
Yes, Horlick's malted powder. I remember it well from when I was kid. They also used to make Horlick's malted candy a long time ago. For all I know, they may still.
X1
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Malteds 2009/07/21 19:08:04
Well, they (Horlick's) make wafers called "Malties" (again - available online), not the malted milk powder balls of old. Those were basically like Whoppers without the chocolate coating, and much better. Came in regular and chocolate. Red or blue labeled jar, depending on flavor.

For the record, here in WI (and maybe other Northern places), they still love their malts - malts are available at many ice cream and frozen custard stands. I always ask for "extra-extra malt", and they laugh, but not like it's an unusual request.

David_NYC
Re:Malteds 2009/07/21 20:00:33
I don't know if you wanted to make a chocolate, vanilla, or natural (malt) flavor. Here in NYC, soda fountains used to make a chocolate malt with plain, white Carnation malted milk powder,  chocolate syrup (such as Fox's U-Bet) and ice cream. No separate Chocolate flavor powder needed. Also, the amount of malt powder you add to the mix changes the 'tang'.

Besides the Horlicks that X1 mentioned, another old brand of malt powder (now also made in the USA by Nestle (also makers of Carnation)) is Ovaltine. I have seen it in a Super 1 Foods in SW Louisiana (probably Lafayette.)

Could Nestle have diddled the old formulas? Maybe. But, try upping the amount first.
post edited by David_NYC - 2009/07/21 20:03:08
BelleReve
Re:Malteds 2009/07/21 20:34:51
Many thanks to everyone - I know I've seen Ovaltine in the grocery

XI  - there's a World  Market closer to me than Metry (Westbank Expresswa), so now I'm really excited about finding Horlicks - are you an exile that you know Metry?

David - 3 heaping TBS of Carnation didn't come close to that malted flavor, but Horlicks looks like it'll do it 
X1
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Malteds 2009/07/21 20:43:59
Ah...I forget the Wank has stuff, too. Didn't like the bridge, so I often went to Metairie instead. LOL
Lived in Harahan for a while, too, so I know the area.

Refugee, not exile. Trying to get back - just have to find a decent paying job. I miss home.

Tell you what - I'd give up malts for sno-balls any day.
bartl
Re:Malteds 2009/07/23 22:49:58
European style Ovaltine is less sweet and stronger flavored than American Ovaltine. Here's a link to the first supplier I could find (on Amazon).
Davydd
Sirloin
Re:Malteds 2009/07/23 23:12:27
The Culver's chain offers malts or shakes. You have a choice with them.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re:Malteds 2009/07/24 00:19:37
Growing up in NYC, I certainly had my share of malteds. Yes, malteds. That's what we called them.
Anyway, here in Dallas, malteds are totally unknown. This is a "shake town".

mhill95
Cheeseburger
Re:Malteds 2009/07/24 02:13:15
Try a Hot Fudge Malt at DQ

Mike
claracamille
Cheeseburger
Re:Malteds 2009/07/26 14:46:43
I had my first malted around 1955 at Blossom Dairy in Charleston, West Virginia.  When my family went shopping "updown" , my dad would take my sister & I for ice cream.  My dad would always get a "malted" & get me a sip.  I remember at that time not liking the flavor, but as I grew older, my sister & I would share our malt. 

Blossom Dairy had several locations in the Charleston area.    The last remaining Blossom Dairy is now an upscale restaurant in Charleston(Michael Stern has reviewed it).  The restaurants were build in the 1930's & had a wonderful art deco style with a counter on one sde & booths on the along the wall.  Blossom also had wonderful hotdogs, with a crispy English grilled bun.  Of course, since this was West Virginia the hotdog came with chil, mustard ,onion & slaw.
sk bob
Re:Malteds 2009/07/26 20:55:23
Bellereve, not to change the subject, do they still have places called Daquiris there?
last time I was there was in '84,staying out in Kenner. they were places where you could get a frozen drink to go or hang out & drink there.
good concept. just wondering if their still around.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Malteds 2009/07/26 21:05:26
I used to stop in at the Bloosom on Quarrier Street for coffee a couple of times a week.
X1
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Malteds 2009/07/26 21:14:23
sk bob

I can answer that - yes, there are still drive-thru Daquiri places, especially in Kenner and Metairie.

David_NYC
Re:Malteds 2009/07/27 00:36:31
I have seen Daquiri places in my travels from New Orleans to almost all the way to the Texas border.
phlmaestro
Cheeseburger
Re:Malteds 2009/07/27 08:33:32
I use both Horlick's and Carnation, depending on what I can find easily. I have no trouble tasting the malt when I use Carnation. I think the problem some people have is not putting enough in. I notice this especially when I order a malt while out, as opposed to making it myself. A lot of places put so little in, that I can barely taste it.
X1
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Malteds 2009/07/27 08:58:36
That is exactly why I ask for "extra extra extra" malt!!

claracamille
Cheeseburger
Re:Malteds 2009/08/02 17:10:35
Michael Hoffman

I used to stop in at the Bloosom on Quarrier Street for coffee a couple of times a week.

We went to the Blossom on Lee street.  It was closer to the Diamond & Stone & Thomas.

Do you remember the hot dogs at Blossom?  They used English buns that they grilled so the outside of the bun was brown & crispy.