Pig Roast

tonemonster2
  • Total Posts : 187
  • Reward points : 0
Pig Roast - Wed, 07/22/09 1:53 PM
For an annual weekend of debauchery at a friends farm in upstate NY I am being asked to prepare a roast pig.I am usually game to try anything but this one makes me hesitant. I have no idea how to go about it, other than renting a spit or something. Any suggestions ?

rjb
  • Total Posts : 451
Re:Pig Roast - Wed, 07/22/09 2:01 PM
A couple of questions:

First, how many people are you feeding and what are you looking for?  Roast pig can run the gamut from a small suckling pig with an apple in his mouth to a Hawaiian luau-style kalua pig to spit roasted to pit cooked southern whole hog barbecue.

None of these are difficult, but all take time and a degree of patience.

tonemonster2
Re:Pig Roast - Wed, 07/22/09 3:46 PM
Feeding about 18 adults and 10 kids. My butcher can get me a 30-40 lb. suckling and split it. I figure roast it over an open pit with indirect heat for abot 10 hours ?

Twinwillow
  • Total Posts : 4896
Re:Pig Roast - Wed, 07/22/09 3:58 PM
Although I can't advise on how to do it, I can tell you, it's DELICIOUS!!!

Foodosaurus
  • Total Posts : 622
Re:Pig Roast - Wed, 07/22/09 4:00 PM
Twinwillow

Although I can't advise on how to do it, I can tell you, it's DELICIOUS!!!

IBID

tonemonster2
Re:Pig Roast - Wed, 07/22/09 4:06 PM
I wonder if I can rent the China Box ?

RibDog
  • Total Posts : 593
Re:Pig Roast - Wed, 07/22/09 4:17 PM
The Caja Chine might be your best bet.  But that is not really BBQ in my opinion.

rjb
  • Total Posts : 451
Re:Pig Roast - Wed, 07/22/09 5:33 PM
The china box thing is fine, but basically produces steam roasted pork along the lines of kalua pig, which is fine, but if you're looking for southern whole hog barbecue, however, you need to look elsewhere.  Here, for example.

Get your hog split so it will lie flat (you need to have the ribs sawn for this) and lay him out on a sheet of (clean) polyethelyne so you can see how big he is.  Build a wood frame (2x4's should be fine for one this size) about a foot larger on all sides than your hog and staple heavy-duty hog wire or other non-galvanized wire fencing on it so it looks sort of like a bed frame.

Then securely wire your hog down on the frame with the skin side up.

Dig a pit 18" in deep or deeper.  Build a hardwood fire and let it blaze away until reduced to coals.  When you can hold your hand over it for 10 sec without flinching, put the hog on, skin side up.  Lay a clean canvas or heavy poly sheet near to the pit to give yourself a place to put the hog while you're maintaining the coals.  Keep the fire warmer at the ends than the middle, since that's where the hams & shoulders are.

Every hour or so, flip the hog on to the canvas and mop with the mopping solution of your choice, but be careful its not too sugary (like apple juice) or it will burn.  Plain salt brine with some lemon juice works well. Keep the pit fueled with hardwood lump charcoal, or burn hardwood in a separate fire pit and shovel the coals in.

Keep doing this until done.  Should take 10 - 12 hours depending on ambient temp.  Remove and separate the hams, shoulders, loin and ribs.  Note:  the skin will not be crispy -- if you want crisp skin, you need to use 2 bed frames and cook on both sides.

Add more fuel to the pit and put the ribs on fat side down to crisp them up a bit.

Eat.

Note:  This process is best done overnight with the aim of dining at midday the following day.  Doesn't work well in cold or windy conditions.  Continuous consumption of alcohol and telling of lies during the cooking process is mandatory.

chewingthefat
  • Total Posts : 6094
Re:Pig Roast - Wed, 07/22/09 5:42 PM
tonemonster2

Feeding about 18 adults and 10 kids. My butcher can get me a 30-40 lb. suckling and split it. I figure roast it over an open pit with indirect heat for abot 10 hours ?

Don't mean to nit pick but a suckling pig is 20 lbs. or less, in any case for 28 people you need more than a 30-40 hog, figure more like 50lbs.
Rent a large smoker, the hog should be split, unless you get an electric spit, then you can secure it with chicken wire to the spit, smoke to an internal temp of 195, take the temp in the front shoulder, try to keep your internal smoker around 250-275 tops, use oak and hickory if you can get it. Good luck, don't run out of beer!

tonemonster2
Re:Pig Roast - Wed, 07/22/09 6:35 PM
sorry about the suckling. rookie mistake. anyhow, wifey says no go on the pig. and she's serious.

chewingthefat
  • Total Posts : 6094
Re:Pig Roast - Thu, 07/23/09 11:21 AM
Do pork butts, or loins, much easier.