Hot!Charlie's Pool Room

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Cheeseburger
Re:Charlie's Pool Room 2009/10/04 22:40:51
Bossa Nova

Don't use Mapquest, there is a niche in the directions.

I believe Rand McNally's directions are accurate.      http://www.randmcnally.com/ 

Map Quest puts you on the wrong side of the railroad tracks.

See you next Monday the 12th
Benzee
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Charlie's Pool Room 2009/10/07 14:53:56

Hello all ,

I may be out for Monday , did not realize my FOP meeting was scheduled for the same day
Added is Dave Howell and Screenbear .

I actually  will be in Easton tommorrow at the Crayola Factory and may stop in to Charlies if I cant  come Monday

Benzee
ken8038
Re:Charlie's Pool Room 2009/10/07 21:49:33
I'm planning on going to Charlie's on Monday. Hope to see you all there!

Benzee, sorry you may not be able to make it. I assume you're taking your kids to Crayola. We went about 10 years ago when my kids were young, they loved it! Have a great day. They also really enjoyed the mule barge ride nearby. The Canal museum (where the mule barge starts) is interesting too if you have time:

http://www.canals.org/
post edited by ken8038 - 2009/10/07 21:51:28
joerogo
Filet Mignon
Re:Charlie's Pool Room 2009/10/08 07:18:53
Benzee

Hello all ,

I may be out for Monday , did not realize my FOP meeting was scheduled for the same day
Added is Dave Howell and Screenbear .

I actually  will be in Easton tommorrow at the Crayola Factory and may stop in to Charlies if I cant  come Monday

Benzee

Benzee, You have two choices.  #1, Tell the FOP to reschedule their meeting.  #2,  Bring them all to CPR.

adeptone
Junior Burger
Re:Charlie's Pool Room 2009/10/08 12:59:32
Benzee, I think I'll take a long lunch on Monday and come out to CPR as well.

Benzee
Re:Charlie's Pool Room 2009/10/08 22:40:56
Hello all ,

I'm in for Monday , never was out just trying to figure out how to  do both .
I stopped by today to see John and Joe after taking the family to Crayola Crayon Factory across the river in Easton .
Fantastic family day finished off with a stop to Charlies !!!!
Noon is a good time for them and it is greatly appreciated for everyone to know that they are usually closed Mondays and are opening just for our group !!!

I will make a seperate meet and greet on that that forum  with attendees .

Benzee
John Sagi
Cheeseburger
Re:Charlie's Pool Room 2009/10/09 22:50:46
I was wondering if there are any other Hot Dog Joints in Warren County, NJ, other than below.

I'll be at Charlies Pool Room on Monday and check out any new places after Charlies.

Open Jimmys Doggie Stand Phillipsburg Warren NJ Open Eddies Drive In Phillipsburg Warren NJ Open Tobys Cup Phillipsburg Warren NJ Open Hot Dog Johnnys Buttzville Warren NJ Open Charlies Pool Room Alpha Warren NJ Open Sammys Pohatcong Warren NJ
Thanks
Benzee
Re:Charlie's Pool Room 2009/10/12 08:43:24
High Noon today at Charlies Pool Room

Hot dog Meet and greet

1122 East Blvd .
Alpha NJ

See everyone there

Benzee
Applecheeks
Hamburger
Re:Charlie's Pool Room 2009/10/12 10:36:29
I have to work today.  I wish I could be there with the gang.  Please give my best to Joe and John.  I hope to get back there very soon.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Charlie's Pool Room 2009/10/12 10:47:42
Reading about this and not being able to be there is really tough.
adeptone
Junior Burger
Re:Charlie's Pool Room 2009/10/12 16:35:52
It was nice meeting all of you today!  I hope to make it out on the Hot Dog tour one of these years.
Benzee
Re:Charlie's Pool Room 2009/10/12 18:11:53

Hello all ,

We had a great time at Charlies Pool Room today . Thanks to John and Joe for opening  just for our group !!!
Also to John Sagi who had everyone sign a photo of Charlies that was presented to them and will be posted for all to see . And to Mike Specian who took the photo way back when .

Attendees included Me " Benzee" , John Fox , John Sagi , Coney Island Lou , Joe Rogo , Bossa Nova and Michelle  , Dave Howell and his wife , Adpetone  ,WH... Jimmy from the Post Office , Screenbear , and Big G from Joisey who stopped in also .
A pleasure to meet new folks and to be with old friends in a true roadfood spot.

One of a kind experience  ... every time

Benzee
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Charlie's Pool Room 2009/10/14 22:44:11
Someone called WFAN (radio station in NYC) to ask the host (Richard Neer) if he has ever had a Mealie.

I suppose Richard does not know CPR...since he hung up on the caller.
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Charlie's Pool Room 2009/10/14 23:11:13
Sugar snap!

I want to know if this caller is from Roadfood. Hello! Tap tap tap.

When Richard asks where Alpha NJ is and you have to tell him by Clinton...he most likely has no clue about Mealies.

Benzee
Re:Charlie's Pool Room 2009/10/16 18:12:42

Hi CC

Listen to the fan all the time but missed this one .
Wasn't I , but  we do have some sports fans on here

Benzee
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Charlie's Pool Room 2009/10/17 14:40:11
Hey Benzee!

You probably know Richard Neer was a DJ on WPLJ. He has seen it all. He might have caught the pool room and mealies reference and got nervous thinking it was about something other than delicious hot dogs and a great establishment.

I will send him an email and maybe get the 411 on the Fan. What else is there to talk about? Yankees Giants Jets?  
big g in joisey
Cheeseburger
Re:Charlie's Pool Room 2009/10/18 14:06:04
It was nice meeting some of the members at CPR, the Mealies were Great as usual, Joe & John were very appreciative for the turnout and the conversation. I always enjoyed Richard Neer when he was on 102.7 WNEW, when they had a Hard Rock format.
big g in joisey
Cheeseburger
Re:Charlie's Pool Room 2010/01/04 10:51:13
<< Sugar snap!>>

<< I want to know if this caller is from Roadfood. Hello! Tap tap tap. >>

When Richard asks where Alpha NJ is and you have to tell him by Clinton...he most likely has no clue about Mealies.

CCinNJ, the call was from one of CPR long time customers,who was / is from the Alpha area, and works in NYC area.
post edited by big g in joisey - 2010/01/04 10:54:26
stanpnepa
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Charlie's Pool Room 2010/06/23 21:39:25
Worked the early shift yesterday - so a few co-workers and I made the 90 minute trek  to CPR.  Despite GPS - we drove right by the place!  All four of us initially missed it. 

Applecheeks is right on the money!  CPR is like stepping back in time.  Joe is very gracious.  When we told him we were from Scranton/Wilkes-Barre - he asked John to bring out a boombox with a tape of Joe from about twenty years ago on the Ron Allen Sportsline from (Scranton) radio station WARM.  Joe won the trivia contest.  What we didn't tell John is that all four of us are radio guys and co-workers of Ron's at WARM's parent company back in the day.  Here we are driving to another state - and we hear a tape of a former (late) co-worker.  We were kind of expecting to see Rod Serling around the corner at this point.  The brothers are huge baseball fans - and just the nicest guys.    Time flew.  Now, on to the chow!

The mealies were WONDERFUL.   The peppers, onions and Grandma's sauce all combined for a sweet kick.   The dogs were well-done and very tasty.  We each had three - and probably could've done four.  So, on the way home we stopped for one more at Jimmy's in Easton.  After CPR, Jimmy's is simply pedestrian.  A good basic dog - but no comparison.

CPR is first-class Roadfood - and in the charm department only rivaled by Snappy Lunch.  We'll be back.
post edited by stanpnepa - 2010/06/23 21:42:23
Benzee
Re:Charlie's Pool Room 2010/07/03 23:59:54
Hello all ,

I've been saying for a few yrs now that Charlies Pool Room is  one of the best places to exprerience a dog or two , the hngarian sauce is too die for .
John and Joe are class acts and will remember your name , as he does mine after nearly six months in between trips . Amazing , just wish I could get there more often

Benzee
ScreenBear
Re:Charlie's Pool Room 2010/07/04 21:05:31
I'm game for a gathering, if we can work out the date, etc.  Always nice to see John, Joe & the Fellow doggers during the off season.

The Bear
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
Re:Charlie's Pool Room 2010/07/05 09:49:57
I happened upon a so-so review of CPR in Serious Eats.  If you scroll down the comments, there is a pretty good response by hotdoglover, a.k.a John Fox.

I definitely need to make time to travel to Alpha, NJ the next time I visit NY!

http://newyork.seriouseats.com/2010/04/new-jersey-dispatch---charlies-pool-room-hot-dogs-alpha-nj-landmark-famous.html
joerogo
Filet Mignon
Re:Charlie's Pool Room 2010/07/05 20:53:45
MiamiDon

I happened upon a so-so review of CPR in Serious Eats.  If you scroll down the comments, there is a pretty good response by hotdoglover, a.k.a John Fox.

I definitely need to make time to travel to Alpha, NJ the next time I visit NY!

http://newyork.seriouseats.com/2010/04/new-jersey-dispatch---charlies-pool-room-hot-dogs-alpha-nj-landmark-famous.html

Hey Don,  Let me know of your impending visit and I will try to meet you. 

The reviewer on Serious Eats did nothing to capture the essence of CPR. 
big g in joisey
Cheeseburger
Re:Charlie's Pool Room 2010/07/06 12:58:42
Hey Joe don't forget the Cebula's when you go, Joe Fencz really enjoyed it last time, I could go for a tray or two as well.
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
Re:Charlie's Pool Room 2010/07/06 13:38:15
joerogo

Hey Don,  Let me know of your impending visit and I will try to meet you. 

The reviewer on Serious Eats did nothing to capture the essence of CPR. 

Sure thing, Joe.  It will be some time next May.
big g in joisey
Cheeseburger
Re:Charlie's Pool Room 2010/10/30 12:44:09
Any interest in a meet & greet for 2010, it was nice meeting some of our fellow Roadfood members & hotdog enthusiasts last year at CPR.
joerogo
Filet Mignon
Re:Charlie's Pool Room 2011/03/22 18:02:59
I made a stop today to see Joe and John.  As soon as I walked in the door, Joe said, "your last visit was October 12, 2009".  What a memory.  Not much has changed at CPR, which is good.  Mealies were spot on delicious!  I had a Newbie with me and he even took four to go.

But I do smell trouble on the horizon.  Lately the upper management from all around the country, of a famous and growing restaurant chain have been frequenting Charlie's Pool Room on a regular basis" />  Joe...John, if you decided to sell, give us a heads up so we can get in on the ground floor(CHA-CHING!)

One important note....we have a new champion!
"Mark "Mongo" Ankudovich ate 20 hot dogs with sauce at Charlie's Pool Room In Alpha NJ, In one hour and 27 minutes. beating the 2005 record with three more hot dogs in six fewer minutes."

The CPR sketch artist was on hand for Mongo's Official Wall Poster.

And in honor of the new "Champ", Joe and John broke out the posters of past champions.

Joe and John told me to say hello to BuffetBuster(it's been too long), Coney Island Lou(twice in one week?), John Fox(wishing you could eat onions) and Benzee(did you sleep in?)

The official picture of two of the nicest guys in the world.

And John is a heck of a guy also  Kidding, Kidding!(mandatory smart alec comment that has become my trademark)
pnwchef
Re:Charlie's Pool Room 2011/03/22 18:22:25
GEEZZZZZ Joe, I didn't know you didn't have any arms.
John Fox
Re:Charlie's Pool Room 2011/03/22 19:35:26
Thanks for posting the video! Gotta get back there soon.
Benzee
Re:Charlie's Pool Room 2011/03/22 19:42:54
Great job Joe !!!
A heads up Coney Island Lou  and I are looking at next Tues the 29th for a visit to Charlies around lunch time .

Benzee

post edited by Benzee - 2011/03/22 20:55:59
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
Re:Charlie's Pool Room 2011/03/22 20:32:02
Can't promise , but Gail and I may be there too...

Cheers, John 
ConeyIslandLou
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Charlie's Pool Room 2011/03/22 20:50:39
Benzee

Great job Joe !!!
A heads up Coney Island Lou  and I are looking at next Tues the 30th for a visit to Charlies around lunch time .

Benzee

Tuesday's the 29th!!!  
ConeyIslandLou
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Charlie's Pool Room 2011/03/22 20:51:42
seafarer john

Can't promise , but Gail and I may be there too...

Cheers, John 

Welcome to ride along, John....
Benzee
Re:Charlie's Pool Room 2011/03/22 20:57:45
Hello all ,
I corrected it to the 29th .
Tues the 29th  !!
Hope some of the gang can join us for a dog
Benzee
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Charlie's Pool Room 2011/03/22 22:17:13
Thanks for the report and great photos JoeRogo!  Glad to see the boys are doing well, although the idea of them selling is rather troubling.

I have been wanting to get back to Charlie's for quite a while now.  About a month ago, I called to make sure they would be open that Saturday and talked to John, but had to cancel my trip due to inclement weather.  Hopefully real soon.
Benzee
Re:Charlie's Pool Room 2011/03/23 13:28:55
Charlies Pool Room Tuesday the 29th .
Will have to coordinate what time of arrival with my chauffeur for the day Coney Lou !!
Benzee
ScreenBear
Re:Charlie's Pool Room 2011/03/23 14:00:42
Color me there if the creek don't rise. 

The Bear
joerogo
Filet Mignon
Re:Charlie's Pool Room 2011/03/23 14:10:46
If any of youse guys want to take the long way home, I'll swap you a C.I. Texas Weiner for a Mealie
Benzee
Re:Charlie's Pool Room 2011/03/23 22:38:01
Joe ,
We actually had that thought to hit Scranton on way back !!!
Let me see what Lou thinks about it buddy
Benzee
ConeyIslandLou
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Charlie's Pool Room 2011/03/24 12:01:26
Benzee

Joe ,
We actually had that thought to hit Scranton on way back !!!
Let me see what Lou thinks about it buddy
Benzee

youre paying the gas, right?
ken8038
Re:Charlie's Pool Room 2011/03/25 19:25:10
Hey, OK if I join you guys on Tuesday? Coincidentally I was just there last Saturday with my wife, son, and my sister. My first visit in about 7 years, and it was even better than I remembered. I'm ready to go back.

PS, the GPS worked just fine. The last time it was one hand on the wheel, one hand on the Hagstrom's.
John Fox
Re:Charlie's Pool Room 2011/03/25 20:18:29
Boy, it's nice being retired!
Benzee
Re:Charlie's Pool Room 2011/03/25 20:30:45
Hello all ,
Thanks John , retirement is grand , where to have lunch next with roadfooders like yourself .
Ken , Would love it if you and any other roadfooders could make it .
Lou, I got the tolls haha , oh no tolls , than of course I always take care of the chaufeur
Benzee
BrooklynBill
Cheeseburger
Re:Charlie's Pool Room 2011/03/27 11:22:54
Benzee et al,
Ginny and I plan to attend.  If there isn't enough room, we'll sit under the pool table.
Looking forward to it.
Bill
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
Re:Charlie's Pool Room 2011/03/27 12:49:39
We'll be riding shotgun with Bill and Ginny and will be there ready for a couple of "mealies".

Cheers, John  
ScreenBear
Re:Charlie's Pool Room 2011/03/27 12:56:38
A quelle heure est la shindig?

(What time is the party?) 

L'Ours
(The Bear)
johnlockedema
Cheeseburger
Re:Charlie's Pool Room 2011/03/27 13:14:12
I'm in as well, I've never been to Charlie's so I'm looking forward to it.
Benzee
Re:Charlie's Pool Room 2011/03/27 13:16:40
Was thinking High Noon is a good time to meet

Benzee

seafarer john
Filet Mignon
Re:Charlie's Pool Room 2011/03/27 21:21:54
High Noon at Charlies!!! YEAH!!

Cheers, John 
Benzee
Re:Charlie's Pool Room 2011/03/28 10:46:31
Hello all ,
Looks like this will be a cool group tommorrow .
High Noon
Charlies Pool Room  Alpha NJ
"Hot Dog Nirvana "
John and Joe here we come !!!!!!!!!!!
Mealies baby !!!!!!
Grandmas Hungarian Sauce , heaven !!!!
Benzee

Dog Boss
Cheeseburger
Re:Charlie's Pool Room 2011/03/28 13:36:26

But I do smell trouble on the horizon.  Lately the upper management from all around the country, of a famous and growing restaurant chain have been frequenting Charlie's Pool Room on a regular basis" />  Joe...John, if you decided to sell, give us a heads up so we can get in on the ground floor(CHA-CHING!)

i have to ask , something on the "chain level' is looking to buy CPR ?  that's interesting...........
joerogo
Filet Mignon
Re:Charlie's Pool Room 2011/03/28 14:10:47
Dog Boss

i have to ask , something on the "chain level' is looking to buy CPR ?  that's interesting...........

Dog Boss, They(Corporate chain) have been coming from all over the country to enjoy CPR Mealies.  I am just reading into it.  After all though, the food IS that good
post edited by joerogo - 2011/03/28 16:46:03
ken8038
Re:Charlie's Pool Room 2011/03/28 16:40:53
Looking forward to seeing you all tomorrow. Thanks again for posting about it. To warm up for this I had a couple of Chili Dogs at Munce's Truck in Rahway today.

A friend of mine will probably be joining me if you need a head count.
Benzee
Re:Charlie's Pool Room 2011/03/28 17:08:13
Hello all ,
No official head count is needed for the day .
But ,,
Benzee , Coney Island Lou , Seafarer John and Gail , Brooklyn Bill and Ginny , Screenbear , Ken 8038 and friend , Johnlockedema .
Joe Rogo ?????
Any more feel free to let us know or just surprise us .
High Noon everyone , see you tommorrow
Benzee
johnlockedema
Cheeseburger
Re:Charlie's Pool Room 2011/03/28 18:29:23
I have to bow out, I committed to picking someone up at the airport, and they changed their flight from Wed to Tuesday.  As a consolation I'm heading to Galloping Hill Inn for a well done, double dog with fried onions and mustard in a few minutes!
joerogo
Filet Mignon
Re:Charlie's Pool Room 2011/03/28 18:52:36
Benzee
Hello all ,
But ,,
Benzee , Coney Island Lou , Seafarer John and Gail , Brooklyn Bill and Ginny , Screenbear , Ken 8038 and friend , Johnlockedema .
Joe Rogo ?????
Benzee

Sorry Benzee, count me out.  I have to be in Lock Haven, PA tomorrow.  I hear there is a great place called Texas Lunch there  

Enjoy!!!  Tell Joe and John I said hello.
ken8038
Re:Charlie's Pool Room 2011/03/28 19:04:49
Well Joe, I guess once again we will not meet.

<<  I hear there is a great place called Texas Lunch there>>

I was there a few years ago. Good dogs, not great, but worth the stop for the old time small town ambiance. Counter and booth seating. There's a nice scenic walkway up along the lock by the river if you're feeling full after.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Charlie's Pool Room 2011/03/28 19:12:03
joerogo

Benzee
Hello all ,
But ,,
Joe Rogo ?????
Benzee

Sorry Benzee, count me out.  I have to be in Lock Haven, PA tomorrow.  I hear there is a great place called Texas Lunch there  

Lock Haven? Isn't that where Piper Aircraft is headquartered? Or am I years out of date?
joerogo
Filet Mignon
Re:Charlie's Pool Room 2011/03/28 20:24:29
Michael Hoffman
joerogo
Benzee
Hello all ,
But ,,
Joe Rogo ?????
Benzee

Lock Haven? Isn't that where Piper Aircraft is headquartered? Or am I years out of date?

Long Gone.  You can still see the overgrown airstrips off I-180.
Benzee
Re:Charlie's Pool Room 2011/03/28 21:07:58
Hey Joe ,
How hard is  it to get from Charlies to your spot , if I can talk Coney Lou into it maybe we will detour to see you on the way back to NY .
PM me your  cell and if we can do it I will call you tommorrow
Benzee
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3 - Powered by APG vNext Trial