Maryland Fried Chicken ???

wheregreggeats.com
  • Total Posts : 4531
  • Reward points : 0
Maryland Fried Chicken ??? - Thu, 08/13/09 2:46 PM
It's a small chain.  I see a bunch of them in Florida.

Worth a try ???

Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2413
Re:Maryland Fried Chicken ??? - Thu, 08/13/09 2:55 PM
We had a couple in my area and one over at the beach years ago, I have fond memories, I'd say yes.

carolina bob
  • Total Posts : 3420
Re:Maryland Fried Chicken ??? - Thu, 08/13/09 4:43 PM
I wonder if this is the same Maryland Fried Chicken chain that I'm familiar with. Back in the 1970s and '80s, there were at least three outlets of a fast food chain with that name located in Chicago's southwest suburbs ( New Lenox, Romeoville, and Homer Glen. ) I ate at the New Lenox location one time and that was quite enough. If I remember correctly, the logo was red and yellow, and featured a mother hen and her chick. Anyone else remember this? 

carolina bob
  • Total Posts : 3420
Re:Maryland Fried Chicken ??? - Thu, 08/13/09 5:01 PM
 I just looked at a Maryland Fried Chicken website, and the first thing that I saw was a familiar mother and child pairing. It appears to be the same MFC that I remember from the 1980s. The website mentions that MFC outlets can be found in a number of states, including Florida, but that Maryland is not one of them. 
                                     www.marylandfried.com 
<message edited by nocarolina on Thu, 08/13/09 5:04 PM>

exsquidao
  • Total Posts : 409
Re:Maryland Fried Chicken ??? - Thu, 08/13/09 6:10 PM
LMAO...sorry if I am going to offend some people but when I saw the MFC abbreviation by noca I didn't associate it with Maryland Fried Chicken.

wheregreggeats.com
  • Total Posts : 4531
Re:Maryland Fried Chicken ??? - Fri, 08/14/09 1:26 PM
Well, I hit the one in Avon Park, FL today ...

Okay.  Just okay.  I'd much rather have been at Gus's in Memphis or Ezell's in Seattle ... Or Publix for that matter.

russ2304
  • Total Posts : 261
Re:Maryland Fried Chicken ??? - Fri, 08/14/09 7:36 PM
wheregreggeats.com

Well, I hit the one in Avon Park, FL today ...

Okay.  Just okay.  I'd much rather have been at Gus's in Memphis or Ezell's in Seattle ... Or Publix for that matter.

My vote goes to Gus's------------------dat be good eats!!!!!!!!

Russ

DawnT
  • Total Posts : 1286
Re:Maryland Fried Chicken ??? - Sun, 08/16/09 12:45 PM
It used to be a fairly good product in the 60's and better chicken then what the KFC franchisees were selling. They moved down into Miami from central fl and bought up all the Golden Point burger joints that operated through a walk-up window. Initally there were quite good until KFC got agressive, displacing their franchisees and started building company red and whites everywhere and the market got flooded with other chicken chains. They went from serving through a window like the burger chain before them to building an air conditoned dining area and raising their prices. The biggest complaint was that they had developed in-your-face portion control that was so obvious it really ticked people off. The quality went way down and most all closed by 1970 here about the same time KFC corporate stores peaked. They pre-dated KFC as a corporate expansion by a few years, but seemed to loose their way when their marketing stratergy shifted to be a KFC clone. I didn't know they were still around. Their biggest claim to fame was they used much more spices then KFC...something like 21. The name Maryland was a  ruise from what I remember. They had no connection or prepared a Maryland style fried chicken. If I recall correctly, they were an Orlando restaurant that seized on the opportunity to lure New England expats
that had moved down to central fl to work in the budding aerospace industry of the space race 60's with a familliar name.

Barbarainnc
  • Total Posts : 92
Re:Maryland Fried Chicken ??? - Tue, 09/1/09 9:21 PM
Maryland Fried Chicken Restaurants:

Wish someone who worked there would post. I went to one today, tried to see through the food window,  to see what I could see!!!!  I think they coat the chicken with a real thin cornstarch batter to get the crispy skin. I asked the waitress last time, she said they have a special breading machine. We got the 4 wing snack for $3.99.  Will go back!!!!:) :) :)

sk bob
  • Total Posts : 1801
Re:Maryland Fried Chicken ??? - Wed, 09/2/09 1:04 PM
the one here in Daytona closed a number of months ago

John A
  • Total Posts : 4295
Re:Maryland Fried Chicken ??? - Mon, 09/7/09 8:00 AM
sk bob

the one here in Daytona closed a number of months ago

No surprise there. Tried it once, never again.

chewingthefat
  • Total Posts : 6100
Re:Maryland Fried Chicken ??? - Tue, 09/15/09 12:52 PM
I've never saw a Maryland Fried Chicken here in Maryland, that said, the best Fried Chicken around these plarts is outside of Emmitsburg on the Gettysburg Rd. called Hillside, a scary looking Roadfood place if ever there was one, their Chicken is a 10, the outside of the place looks like the Boogie Man lives there, it's clean inside, you wait while it's cooked to order.