"Doughnuts Equal Death"

Double Chili Cheeseburger
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
Re:"Doughnuts Equal Death" 2009/08/14 09:18:56
See? Florida again. My East & West America idea gains traction.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:"Doughnuts Equal Death" 2009/08/14 09:28:33
This could and should happen anywhere and everywhere.

Most docs are gutless in this regard.

Most obese individuals need to face reality or die before their time.

The USA is overweight and dumb in regard to their health, in large measure.

You may think you are fat and happy but your body is betraying you.

OK let me have it boys and girls.
billyboy
Re:"Doughnuts Equal Death" 2009/08/14 09:57:41
I think he was doing a good thing (I most Roadfooders know how I love my doughnuts!!).  Although I think he may have been a bit overzealous about it and using a specific company name was like paiting a target on his forehead to be shut down.
6star
Filet Mignon
Re:"Doughnuts Equal Death" 2009/08/14 10:48:35
He should have been smart enough to know that in this day and age you don't attack a specific business by name (especially one owned by lawyers) without getting into trouble.  He could have continued his campaign (and stayed out of trouble) by naming any food type, since all food in excess can kill you (eventually).
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
Re:"Doughnuts Equal Death" 2009/08/14 11:17:27
i95
Re:"Doughnuts Equal Death" 2009/08/14 11:53:39

DOUGHNUTS DON'T KILL PEOPLE. PEOPLE KILL PEOPLE.
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
Re:"Doughnuts Equal Death" 2009/08/14 12:03:57

NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:"Doughnuts Equal Death" 2009/08/14 12:07:10
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
Re:"Doughnuts Equal Death" 2009/08/14 12:07:35
O death, where is thy sting?
mr chips
Filet Mignon
Re:"Doughnuts Equal Death" 2009/08/14 12:10:19
The campaign is legitimate. Cigarettes were once pushed on t.v. by the stars of the show you were watching. He probably should not have targeted a specific company but Nestle Corporation  and   California grapes survived actions against them and he is right, doughnuts are unhealthy.
kirstine
Cheeseburger
Re:"Doughnuts Equal Death" 2009/08/14 12:36:37
Doughnuts are unhealthy yes but no-one is sitting forcing people to eat them.  The doughnuts aren't killing the people, it's themselves not knowing when to stop that is killing them.
Mosca
Filet Mignon
Re:"Doughnuts Equal Death" 2009/08/14 14:27:38
kirstine

Doughnuts are unhealthy yes but no-one is sitting forcing people to eat them.  The doughnuts aren't killing the people, it's themselves not knowing when to stop that is killing them.

Oh hell, everyone knows when to stop. Knowing when to stop is useless. the issue is far more complex than that. You aren't dealing with desires or pleasures here. You are dealing with urges.
kirstine
Cheeseburger
Re:"Doughnuts Equal Death" 2009/08/14 15:34:29
Yes but some people can have an urge and know when they have fulfilled it but there's these people who don't know when enough is enough, they can't just have one doughnut, they have to have a whole box and that's when it becomes the problem!  People are responsible for themselves in that regard, it's their responsibility to choose what they put in their body, and if they choose wrong they have to live with the consequences.   Heck I have food related urges all the time but half of them I just let pass as I don't wanna start giving into them all the time incase it does start to become an issue for me, but if it did I wouldn't be blaming anyone else as it would be my own fault.
Mosca
Filet Mignon
Re:"Doughnuts Equal Death" 2009/08/14 19:01:26
Latest medical and social research says that it isn't that simple. Willpower and lack thereof has nothing to do with it.

There are many things that do not make sense. Although America is getting heavier, life expectancy continues to climb. Heavy people appear to live as long as thin people; the only ones who seem to die early are those at the extremes, the morbidly obese and the unrealistically thin. Yet it is also undeniable that excessive weight leads to heart disease and diabetes, along with other problems.

Exercise doesn't seem to work. Most people who exercise tend to also eat more to compensate; many people who start an exercise regimen wind up gaining weight via the "treat syndrome"; they'll burn 200 calories on the bike, then have 250 calories of ice cream to reward themselves.

Dieting often leads to plateaus and the rebound effect. The human body can be very stubborn about this; it appears to interpret weight loss as famine, and reacts by  slowing down the metabolism. When the dieting stops, the body will gain weight plus a couple extra pounds in compensation for the possibility of the next "famine".

As much as you might not like to hear it, latest research says that it really isn't "[their] own fault". Everyone isn't the same as you. There are a whole lot of folks out there who have something wrong with the way their wiring is working. Look at the numbers. We are in a country where 150,000,000 people want to lose weight, try to exercise, try to diet, and still gain weight. Is it true that EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM is weak minded and weak willed? There is an epidemic of type II diabetes; how did an entire generation all of a sudden become carb sensitive?

Obviously, eating a box of donuts is bad for you. But I've never seen anyone eat a whole box of donuts, as you described. What most people do is eat a couple donuts a week. The problem is that these are people for whom ANY donuts are bad. But why them? Why are donuts OK for some people, but not for others? And it can't be the people who run every day who are buying all the donuts; and not everyone who maintains weight for their entire life runs every day and avoids donuts.

Research into this phenomenon is ongoing; there are no clear answers yet... other than that the traditional answers are wrong. Because they haven't worked.
kirstine
Cheeseburger
Re:"Doughnuts Equal Death" 2009/08/14 19:58:14
This doctor was basically blaming businesses that sold these foods though, no-one is forcing people to buy this food, I'm a firm believer in the saying "you can lead a horse to the water but you can't make it drink".  Yes this stuff is unhealthy but people still choose to eat it, they know what they are eating as we're told enough that deep fried this, that and the other is bad for us!  Sure did someone not try to sue McDonald's for making them overweight? McDonalds didn't make them overweight, their diet choices, health issues or whatever made them overweight.  Dunkin Donuts, McDonalds, KFC may contribute to the problem by making the food so readily available but they aren't sole cause of the problem.

Michael_Germany
Double Cheeseburger
Re:"Doughnuts Equal Death" 2009/08/14 20:21:36
NYPIzzaNut

Oha, the biggest spanish Paella ever...!  " />

Michael
Mosca
Filet Mignon
Re:"Doughnuts Equal Death" 2009/08/14 20:33:42
kirstine

This doctor was basically blaming businesses that sold these foods though, no-one is forcing people to buy this food, I'm a firm believer in the saying "you can lead a horse to the water but you can't make it drink".  Yes this stuff is unhealthy but people still choose to eat it, they know what they are eating as we're told enough that deep fried this, that and the other is bad for us!  Sure did someone not try to sue McDonald's for making them overweight? McDonalds didn't make them overweight, their diet choices, health issues or whatever made them overweight.  Dunkin Donuts, McDonalds, KFC may contribute to the problem by making the food so readily available but they aren't sole cause of the problem.

His message was directed at the consumers:

"Sweet Tea (equals) Liquid Sugar."
"Hamburger (equals) Spare Tire."
"French Fries (equals) Thunder Thighs."
"America Dies on Dunkin'."

I'm not saying his statements are wrong. They're right. What I'm saying is that they are ineffective and off target. If people could change, they would. If they could lose weight and be healthy, they would. The scale of the problem, the fact that they can't and don't is an indication that more is at work here.
post edited by Mosca - 2009/08/14 20:40:06
Michael_Germany
Double Cheeseburger
Re:"Doughnuts Equal Death" 2009/08/14 20:49:59
Greetings!

The equivalent to your beloved american Donuts, this is the typical german Berliner, best fresh and still warm from the bakery...

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berliner_Pfannkuchen

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berliner_(pastry)

I buy them once, or maybe twice a year at a local fair, together with a good cup of coffee, this is heaven on earth. But NOT a daily dish, to much fat, etc.

Sweet regards

Michael

post edited by Michael_Germany - 2009/08/14 20:55:50
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:"Doughnuts Equal Death" 2009/08/14 20:58:33
http://culture.polishsite.us/articles/art346fr.htm
Traditional Pre-Lenten Pączki (Pounchki, punchki)
by Lorraine Grochowska-Kiefer
Donuts are a traditional food the week before Lent or the Tuesday before Ash Wednesday. For many Polish families pączki are a treat for Sundays, holidays and other special occasions.
They have long been a favorite at our house, but none have ever come up to the hundreds made by my grandmother Stella Grochowska during my childhood and early years of marriage. I remember helping her break the many dozens of eggs she used. I wanted to "get into the dough," but she never allowed me to try my hand at the kneading.
It wasn't until many years later, when she was a frail little lady that she would accept help with the donuts. Her puffy, tasty donuts were packed up in brown paper bags by my aunts and then given to friends, neighbors, and family all over our little town. Marrying one of Stella's children or even grandchildren meant you were on the babka and pączki list! I don't make them anywhere near as often or in the huge quantity that she did, but when I do the aroma of the yeast dough brings back many memories of her kitchen ... in fact I all but hear her voice telling me just how to "make them right."
The pounchki photograph below is from Hanka Sawka cookbook

The following pączki recipe is one that I have come up with by trying different ones in Polish cookbooks, until I had ones like mom-mom Grochowski. If you try them, just remember to mix in enough "extra" flour at the end to make the dough comfortable to handle. This is the hard part of writing down a yeast recipe. I watched her so much that I knew what that dough should be like. If you have never made yeast dough before, just knead and add flour until the dough becomes easy to handle, but not tough.
A plate of donuts with steaming coffee, tea, or chocolate will delight everyone. Anytime from now until hot weather is good paczki weather, so try them now.
Good luck, Happy Springtime, and Wesolego Alleluja!
  Pączki - Little Pillow Polish Doughnuts Ingredients Preparation
  • 1.5 c. mashed potatoes
  • 0.5 c. potato water
  • 2 packs yeast
  • 0.5 c sugar
  • 3 egg yolks + 1 egg
  • 1 t. vanilla
  • 1.5 c. milk
  • 0.5 t. mace
  • 0.5 t. nutmeg
  • 0.5 c. butter
  • 6-7 c. flour
  • 1 t. baking powder
  • 1 T. rum (more optional)
Potatoes may be cooked in microwave and put in blender. Scald milk, stir in butter, sugar and potatoes. Add flavorings. Sprinkle yeast over 1/2 c. lukewarm potato water. Stir. Mix together with above mixture and beaten eggs. Combine flour, baking powder and spices.
Gradually stir flour mixture in, mixing well to make a soft dough. Knead (mixer with dough hook can be used). Let rise till double in buttered bowl, 1 to 2 hours. Punch dough down and roll out on floured board to 0.5 or 0.25- inch thick. Cut with glass. Place on waxed paper, let rise about 30 min. (I have refrigerated overnight for holiday breakfast - take out 1 to 2 hours before frying.)
Fry (I use Crisco in a heavy pan. Add 1 T water to cold fat.) Test fat by dropping a cube of bread in - if it browns in 1 min. it is hot enough. Fat should not smoke. Donuts can be turned when brown (only once). Drain on absorbent paper. Sprinkle with 4XXXX sugar. Can also be filled with jelly.

article by Lorraine Grochowska Kiefer
contact the author by e-mail
Lorraine is the host of Triple Oaks Nursery & Herb Garden
Visit her website and shop
Check another Pounchki's recipe and all article with food recipes.
Check all the articles about Polish Easter traditions in the Polish Culture website, including articles devoted to painted eggs, among them Easter Eggs - dyed, scratched & blown - Kraszanki, Skrobanki & Wydmuszki and Pisanki, An Ancient Art of Hope and Life 
post edited by NYPIzzaNut - 2009/08/14 21:00:07
Mosca
Filet Mignon
Re:"Doughnuts Equal Death" 2009/08/14 21:13:02
Michael_Germany

Greetings!

The equivalent to your beloved american Donuts, this is the typical german Berliner, best fresh and still warm from the bakery...

Ich bin eine Berliner!
Michael_Germany
Double Cheeseburger
Re:"Doughnuts Equal Death" 2009/08/14 21:15:58
The Berliner is av. as a six-pack at the german food chain ALDI, daily fresh baked at our neighboring town Westerstede. http://www.westerstede.de/

The six-pack sells for 1,79 €, a popular party-food, and also for breakfast "the morning after". Crisped up, sliced, some butter, or cream cheese, strawberry marmalade..., and you feel like newborn, + strong coffee...

Cheers!

Michael
Michael_Germany
Double Cheeseburger
Re:"Doughnuts Equal Death" 2009/08/14 21:22:47
"Ich bin eine Berliner!"

Greetings, Mosca!

This is your link: http://en.wikipedia.org/w..._doughnut_urban_legend

Kind regards

Michael
Mosca
Filet Mignon
Re:"Doughnuts Equal Death" 2009/08/14 21:27:13
Thanks Michael, I didn't know that!
Michael_Germany
Double Cheeseburger
Re:"Doughnuts Equal Death" 2009/08/14 21:38:23
You are welcome, Mosca!

The Berlin people still adore John F. Kennedy very much, even nowadays. After the Kennedy assassination, my mother Ingrid bought the book The Torch Is Passed, a very impressive work. I still have this book in my book collection.

Kind regards, thanks America!

Michael
Michael_Germany
Double Cheeseburger
Re:"Doughnuts Equal Death" 2009/08/14 23:39:03
By the way, the "Fast Food Culture", inspired by the "American Way" of eating, made millions of people over here sick. The "Lower Class" is the great consumer of this junk, and they get fatter, with every meal, they buy.

I love to cook, very often a very simple dish, some pasta, very little butter, some sage, and a little portion of parmigiano, thats it.

I enjoy a warm meal at most 1-2 times a week, this does not mean sacrifice, I enjoy it.

Avoid Fast Food, very seldom a Bratwurst, a Doener, a Pizza, French Fries...

In the year 2000, I was very sick, with 260 pounds above my skeleton, it was an agony, and I decided, to loose bodyweight.

Nowadays, I eat everything, but I am aware about my very personal bounds, I do not overeat anymore, like I did, before the year 2000.

All the very best for all of you!

Michael