Little Pizza House on The Prairie: Stockholm, WI

Bigfoot
  • Total Posts : 24
  • Reward points : 0
Little Pizza House on The Prairie: Stockholm, WI - Tue, 08/18/09 7:42 PM
I don't know what else to call it, as it has no official name.  Pizza in The Cornfields?  Pizza on The Farm (sounds like the CIA)?  I've never seen anything like it, and the pizza is to die for.  Located near Stockholm, WI (see directions below) off of country road 'J', this farm-family owned business is only open one evening a week.  They don't advertise and they don't take reservations.   They don't even have a phone number.  It's strictly word of mouth.  No silverware, no plates, no tables, no chairs, no drinks for sale. 

They only have the pies: and what pies they are!  Everything on the pizzas is organic and locally grown or made.  Potato with rosemary pesto; eggplant with yellow tomatoes, basil, mozzarella; pepperoni (locally made), Italian sausage with calamata olives, green olives, mozzarella, onion and tomatoes.  And many more, all on thin whole-wheat crusts.  The menu changes from week to week, so a comprehensive list is impossible.  The pies are cooked in wood-fired brick ovens as the orders are received.  No heat lamps or microwaves for these folks.

Hundreds of people show up every week to spread a blanket or pack in their folding chairs and tables, bring along a bottle of wine or a sixpack of beer and eat their pizza in a cool, grassy area under the shade trees.  Parking is very limited on the farm's grounds and most cars end up parked along the dirt road or on the "Liberal Catholic Church" grounds down the road.

We got there at 4:30 (when they open), were able to get the last parking place on the grounds, and were number 35 on the list.  We set up our camp chairs and table on the grass, broke out the silverware and plates, and by 5:00 we were eating two of the best pies I've ever had.  When we left there were probably 30-40 people in line and growing, and there were probably 200 people seated in the eating area.  Cars were parked for a half mile down the road, with more on the way.

This pizza in the wild is open for business from February until Thanksgiving.  I'm assuming the pizza in February is take-out only, as there is still a lot of snow on the ground in these parts at that time.  It's a unique experience.

Directions:  Take WI-35 south from I-94 through Prescott and continue south for about 45 minutes to the town of Stockholm (pop. 97)  Turn left on County J and bear right at the cemetery, about a half mile down the road.  Continue on until you see the white church (the Liberal Catholic Church) on the right and take the dirt road that heads toward it.  Turn right on the first road and continue along until you come to the farm with a small cardboard "pizza" sign at the driveway.  If these directions aren't clear, stop at the Stockholm Pie Company on main street and ask directions.  And buy one of their pies for desert (see my other review).

I give this place a 10/10 for atmosphere, and a 10/10 for ingredients.  It's a unique idea and I salute the proprietors.

<message edited by Bigfoot on Tue, 08/18/09 7:44 PM>

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17850
Re:Little Pizza House on The Prairie: Stockholm, WI - Tue, 08/18/09 7:53 PM

What a fantastic report. Thanks. It sounds absolutely wonderful, and you sure brought it to life.

Edit: But I have a question. I see you are listed as being in Washington. How on Earth did you ever heard of this place? Regardless, I'm sure glad you did because it sounds like a fantastic experience.
<message edited by Michael Hoffman on Tue, 08/18/09 8:04 PM>

Bigfoot
  • Total Posts : 24
Re:Little Pizza House on The Prairie: Stockholm, WI - Wed, 08/19/09 9:04 AM
Washington is our mailing address.  We sold our house in Alaska three months ago and have been on the road ever since.  We're presently camped in Pepin, WI and visiting family.  We heard of the place when we were buying pie for the umpteenth time at the Stockholm Pie Company.  The woman behind the counter mentioned the place and gave us directions.

Guess I should change the 'location' info.