KFC Buffet

IvyTender34
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
KFC Buffet - Thu, 12/18/03 12:17 AM
Me and my buddies just found out about the existence of KFC Buffets. This is a mind blowing concept to me. We've tried finding the location of one of these establishments, but they seem to be very elusive. Their locations seem to be highly classified, much like the missle bunkers built during the Cold War. I'm currently down at school in Champaign, but I live in Chicago, so if anbody knows where a KFC buffet is in either central Illinois or in Chicago or the surrounding suburbs, I would greatly appreciate letting me in on the secret. I've got finals this week, so knowing where one of these is would let me sleep at night and allow me to focus on studying. Thanks.

mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15057
RE: KFC Buffet - Thu, 12/18/03 6:30 AM
IVY....Most of the Southern Indiana KFC's have the Buffet lunch. You're at the wrong school ! Go Hoosiers

glennpan
  • Total Posts : 90
RE: KFC Buffet - Thu, 12/18/03 9:31 AM
Ivy,

The KFC that I know for sure is a buffet in the Chicago area is in New Lenox. It would be about 20 minutes out of your way if you are taking I-57 up from Champaign. Take I-57 to I-80W and get off at the New Lenox exit 137 (route 30), it is about 1/2 mile or so from the highway.

Glenn

2005Equinox
  • Total Posts : 219
RE: KFC Buffet - Fri, 12/26/03 5:09 PM
I drove from my home in Wisconsin to Chatanooga Tennessee and I remember seeing them in southern Indiana and Kentucky. Sounds like a concept that could work but if the stuff is good. I have my doubts though because KFC isnt real good here. I would go to Culvers and get their chicken before KFC.

BigGlenn
  • Total Posts : 461
RE: KFC Buffet - Fri, 12/26/03 5:25 PM
We have one out here in the Long Beach California area. Their ok for a trip about once a month. However I go to Churchs Chicken about every other week. Go Figure?????

peppertree
  • Total Posts : 301
RE: KFC Buffet - Fri, 12/26/03 6:55 PM
There was one here about two years ago, but they discontinued their buffet.

JimInKy
  • Total Posts : 599
RE: KFC Buffet - Fri, 12/26/03 7:41 PM
Every college man needs a source of provender that doesn't cost a pretty penny. In my undergrad days, we depended on a 24/7 cafe that sold an astonishing amount of breakfast for sixty cents: 2 large eggs, buttered toast, jelly, a ton of crispy brown hash browns and coffee.

The KFC lunch and dinner buffet is ubiquitous in parts of Kentucky. The popular store near me stocks their buffet with both styles of the Colonel's chicken, and the chicken is always freshly fried. I visit about twice a year and just eat the original recipe and their sweet slaw. I used to have the corn muffin too, until it was discontinued.

Everything else on their buffet is really pretty dreadful, including the cobbler dessert. You don't want to fill up on heated up canned stuff, when you have have fresh, hot chicken made with the Colonel's secret recipe.

I would use Yahoo! yellow pages to locate KFC stores and just start calling the ones you can get to.

TJ Jackson
  • Total Posts : 4480
RE: KFC Buffet - Fri, 12/26/03 11:37 PM
A few of the local KFCs (maybe 1 in 10) have the buffet.....

bigmark77
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: KFC Buffet - Tue, 10/3/06 6:11 PM
quote:
Originally posted by IvyTender34

Me and my buddies just found out about the existence of KFC Buffets. This is a mind blowing concept to me. We've tried finding the location of one of these establishments, but they seem to be very elusive. Their locations seem to be highly classified, much like the missle bunkers built during the Cold War. I'm currently down at school in Champaign, but I live in Chicago, so if anbody knows where a KFC buffet is in either central Illinois or in Chicago or the surrounding suburbs, I would greatly appreciate letting me in on the secret. I've got finals this week, so knowing where one of these is would let me sleep at night and allow me to focus on studying. Thanks.

bigmark77
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: KFC Buffet - Tue, 10/3/06 6:12 PM
I know of a KFC Buffet in Wisconsin. Its somewhere along 94 east of Osseo. Sooo Good

quote]Originally posted by IvyTender34

PapaJoe8
  • Total Posts : 5504
RE: KFC Buffet - Tue, 10/3/06 6:25 PM
The ones I knew of in Texas all vanashed. I kinda liked em.
Joe

John A
  • Total Posts : 4295
RE: KFC Buffet - Wed, 10/4/06 7:16 AM
Same in Florida, I use to hit them once a week while on the road.

John

shortchef
  • Total Posts : 624
RE: KFC Buffet - Wed, 10/4/06 7:50 AM
We have one here in Steubenville. Not too bad. Sometimes I indulge when my husband is traveling.

HollyDolly
  • Total Posts : 1065
RE: KFC Buffet - Wed, 10/4/06 12:51 PM
No buffets here in South Texas.The KFCs here in Schertz and Universal City are co-branded with TacoBell and PizzaHut.yes you can buy pizza at KFC,at least the ones here.At least the Schertz one has the pizza as well.I guess in different parts of the country,different chains do different things
depending on what regional customers want.

mayor al
RE: KFC Buffet - Wed, 10/4/06 2:17 PM
Dolly
Since KFC, Taco Bell and Pizza Hut (and A & W and LJS) are all part of the YUM corp family, the multi-product store has become a way of marketing the products without resorting to the outlay for Real estate etc for each store. In some places where 3 or 4 brands are in one building they appear more like the mini-food-courts in the malls.

tkitna
  • Total Posts : 620
RE: KFC Buffet - Sat, 10/7/06 12:09 AM
The one in Weirton WV used to have the buffet, but I havent stopped in awhile.

andyh40
  • Total Posts : 39
RE: KFC Buffet - Mon, 10/9/06 4:06 PM
The last time I went to our KFC Buffet here in Crossville Tennessee, I was pretty well disgusted! The floors were filthy with crud; I nearly slipped on an open kethcup pack. The steam table was dirty, and the drink machine was piled high with old ice, and was a mess. The people behind the counter acted like they didn't give a crap about anything!

I swore it off that day, unless I eat at one in another city, and its better!

mayor al
RE: KFC Buffet - Mon, 10/9/06 4:16 PM

Andy,
I agree I have seen some KFC's that are ALWAYS dirty!! Plus Our local one here can't seem to get the chicken right whenever they get busy. It has 'unbrown breading spots' or pieces stuck to each other...or the opposite, so overdone it is dried to the point of being 'Jerky' on a bone.

On the other hand There is a stand a few miles east of us that is spotless and the buffet (for KFC) looks and tastes pretty good.

Like all places a lot depends on the attitude of the owner. Good owners hire and train good help...the result is the best of whatever product or service they are offering.

One more thing about the KFC Buffet. Around here the total for it is around $7. My usual KFC lunch when I chose to do one is usually less than that. I don't go after the buffet very often as I really don't want to force myself to 'try to get my money's worth'!

I prefer a $4.95 Popeyes Spicy 4-Piece Box w/ Mashed Potatoes and Gravy and Slaw, then a Cherry-Lime Slush from the Sonic that is next-door to Popeyes!

ann peeples
  • Total Posts : 8317
RE: KFC Buffet - Mon, 10/9/06 5:18 PM
My husband,Bob,during his Harley ride down to North Carolina, found a great KFC buffet in Tennessee just over the border from N.C./Couldnt remember the name of the town, but as he is ULTRA picky about clean restaurants, he enjoyed the diversity of the buffet and wishes we had one here in Milwaukee...

Scarlett
  • Total Posts : 402
RE: KFC Buffet - Mon, 10/9/06 5:41 PM
There is a KFC w/buffet in Stanly Co. NC located on HWY 24/27.
The KFC on Hwy. 52 does not.

I've been in there with a friend several times and the place was very clean and the food was flying off the steam tables.

Big Sausage
  • Total Posts : 137
RE: KFC Buffet - Mon, 10/9/06 6:38 PM
I've been to the KFC buffets, believe me son you really don't want to find one !

6star
  • Total Posts : 4388
RE: KFC Buffet - Mon, 10/9/06 6:51 PM
If anyone is looking for a KFC buffet in the Peoria (IL) area, there is one in Bartonville about a block off I 474 at Exit 6.

BTB
  • Total Posts : 207
RE: KFC Buffet - Tue, 10/10/06 3:44 PM
It's funny how some of these old threads like this get resurrected. I sometimes have a craving for some good fresh-cooked, original Kentucky Fried Chicken. While I infrequently can find it because of the way it is made these days, occasionally one of the KFC restaurants that have buffets (both in Michigan and Florida where I travel to) has something close to the original Colonel Sanders fried chicken. That's if you can get it really freshly cooked. After ordering the buffet, I often just first get one piece of chicken and sit down in the restaurant and watch the buffet area and return to snatch some chicken when I see them put some freshly cooked pieces out on the buffet. That way you don't get some stale pieces that has been sitting there and getting all dried out. Generally that works for me and satisfies my craving for a long while. It is such a shame, though, on how a once great product went so bad after the Colonel sold the business.

mayor al
RE: KFC Buffet - Tue, 10/10/06 5:08 PM
BTB
Sometime on your journey north or south, try the Claudia Sanders Dinner House in Shelbyville, KY.
They use the original recipe for their chicken. It is a very nice Dinner House...Not your typical KFC Stand. It was/is the restaurant that Harlan Sanders set up next to his new home in Shelbyville, for his wife to operate while he was on the road selling his franchises. Both the Colonel and Mrs Sanders have passed on now, but the legacy of the 'Real' Kentucky Fried Chicken lives on.
ACYE dinners of chicken and chicken livers run about $14.00, but the Veggies that come with the dinner make it worth that. 8 selections, with as much or as little of each as you may want to enjoy for the course of the dinner.
See the review on this site for more info. We do enjoy the Sunday Buffet there.

BTB
  • Total Posts : 207
RE: KFC Buffet - Wed, 10/11/06 11:18 AM
quote:
Posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen:
IVY....Most of the Southern Indiana KFC's have the Buffet lunch. You're at the wrong school ! Go Hoosiers

Al, I think you jinxed Illinois (or helped Indiana) at last weekend's game. Indiana 34, Illinois 32. The Hoosier's pulled it out with a field goal as time expired and will really be tested when they face Iowa next weekend.

wlaurie
  • Total Posts : 41
RE: KFC Buffet - Wed, 10/11/06 12:10 PM
Last time I was at the KFC in Ionia, MI there was a bug floating around in my corn. I had eaten several bites of the corn and when I looked down there was the bug and corn on my spoon.Yuck! Got my money back (they offered me free food, but my appitite was gone) and I haven't been back since.

Scorereader
  • Total Posts : 5546
RE: KFC Buffet - Wed, 10/11/06 4:09 PM
now that this thread has reopened, maybe religating it to the FFF would be best, since KFC is to chicken as dominos is to pizza - or muzak is to music.

rmcielwain
  • Total Posts : 607
RE: KFC Buffet - Thu, 10/12/06 4:03 PM

Made my first visit to a KFC with a buffet in June, 1993 in Gardendale, Alabama
(a suburb of Birmingham) while coming home from vacation in the Midwest.
Our KFC here in Chipley, FL (I-10, exit 120) has the buffet (AFAIK, may be the
only one within a 100-mile radius; although there could be one in Panama City
next to the airport).

Mayor Al, sort of a coincidence when you mentioned Sonic - we'll be getting one
here soon right next to KFC (and could use a Cherry Slush now!)

offlady
  • Total Posts : 343
RE: KFC Buffet - Fri, 10/13/06 3:08 AM
I saw a KFC Lunch Buffet for $4.95 in North Miami a few years ago. We haven't been back to that area since so not sure if it's still around.

Al-the-mayor, as Ronald Reagan used to say,"there you go again..." mentioning those Sonic slushes again!

mayor al
RE: KFC Buffet - Fri, 10/13/06 11:17 AM
Off-Lady
Sorry to sound like a broken record on the Popeyes/Sonic Combo, but I like the drink, and it goes very well with the Spicy Chicken!! I'll try not to sound like a 'Paid' endorser next time !

AndreaB
  • Total Posts : 1303
RE: KFC Buffet - Sat, 10/14/06 8:22 AM
I never found the KFC buffet to be bad, but the $6.99 price
around here costs more than I can eat at the buffet when I can get a boxed meal for less. A couple of pieces of original recipe, a biscuit, and the slaw or green beans is enough for me.
But Yah, if you're really hungry it's not such a bad deal.
I miss the KFC where I live, and both the KFC and Famous Recipe stores are gone. I don't miss the Famous Recipe, but I do miss the KFC.

Andrea

offlady
  • Total Posts : 343
RE: KFC Buffet - Sun, 10/15/06 9:09 AM
Al-The-Mayor, not to worry. Today we drove to a local drive-in that was formerly Dairy Queen. They still carry many of the same products as Dairy Queen but under different names (e.g., A Blizzard is now called a Tornado, etc.) A couple of the new items they recently added to their menu are lemon cherry slush and lime cherry slush. They squeeze the fresh lemon or lime juice into each cup only after placing your order, and add marschino cherries. It will satisfy my slush cravings until I can get hold of a Sonics.

We have KFC, but unfortunately no Popeyes on my island.

jewelfaux
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: KFC Buffet - Sun, 03/18/07 9:23 AM
There's a KFC buffet in Vernon Hills, Illinois, near the Hawthorn Shopping Center. It's on Milwaukee Avnue near Route 60 (Town Line Road).
That's the only one I know about.

ULVER
  • Total Posts : 226
RE: KFC Buffet - Sun, 03/18/07 4:28 PM
There were several in metro Atlanta, most now gone. The one I used to visit would vary from scarey, to a real bargin. It just depended on the day.

On a good trip, one could easily get their money's worth, by simply filling up on the original recipe breasts. Some days the they actually peppered both the green beans and the mashed potato gravy quite nicely. The fried okra was decent, too. I recall all the deserts, especially the puddings looked 100% toxic!

On a bad trip, the place was as filthy as the patrons, the chicken virtually empty, and the sides bubbling, badly over-heated.

This location is now closed. Within a few blocks, so is the Popeye's, and the Bojangles. I guess illegal aliens just don't eat that much chicken. All three locations are now some sort of taco stand/mexican bar. Same with the Friday's. And just about everything else. I never thought I would be a stranger, in the part of town I grew up in...

sonjaab
  • Total Posts : 193
RE: KFC Buffet - Wed, 03/21/07 4:42 AM
I note that the KFC buffet in Watertown NY has now changed
from a buffet spread back to just a regular menu format.