Kings Bay Ga

brisketboy
  • Total Posts : 1058
  • Reward points : 0
Kings Bay Ga - Thu, 08/27/09 9:43 AM
Looks like I'm being exiled to Kings Bay yet again. I'm looking for any good BBQ places within a 50 to 75 mile radius cause I don't mind driving on weekends cause you ain't lived till you've spent a weekend in Kings Bay.

wanderingjew
  • Total Posts : 7407
Re:Kings Bay Ga - Thu, 08/27/09 9:50 AM
And here I'm thinking that "King Bay Ga"
is a style of Korean BBQ,

Sorry, I can't be of any assistance.

mudbug
  • Total Posts : 130
Re:Kings Bay Ga - Thu, 08/27/09 10:27 AM
I can't vouch personally for either of them,but I have two BBQ places in Kingsland on my list:Shorty's is in a red shack near a Wendy's off I-95 Exit 3.Jack's Wood Cooked BBQ (912) 729-1500 is at I-95 Exit 4.If you happen to try either of these, give us a report.I.m assuming,of course,that the Kings Bay you're referring to is the Naval Air Station.If so,north of that is Brunswick where there is plenty of 'Q.The Georgia Pig is good @ Exit 29.I haven't tried the following but I've heard good things:Gary Lee's (5 mi. W 0f E 29);Mack's (912) 264-0605:Twin Oaks on Norwich St. nr.downtown (912) 265-3131.Also in the area:Choo-Choo BBQ @ I-95 Exit 5 in a Shell Station,Drake's (912) 262-0867,Sonny's (912) 265-9184 and Southern Soul.

brisketboy
  • Total Posts : 1058
Re:Kings Bay Ga - Thu, 08/27/09 11:18 AM
Thank you for the response. I will give them a try since my exile will last almost four weeks. I'll be at the Kings Bay Submarine Base. The one you're talking about next to the Wendy's was Blue's. It was really great. Unfortunately the owner got into some difficulty and is in the slammer. A relative took over and it's just not the same. Again, thank you for the heads up and I will report on what I find.

alfredo
  • Total Posts : 138
Re:Kings Bay Ga - Thu, 08/27/09 11:57 AM
Gary Lee's is very good.

pmscott
  • Total Posts : 4
Re:Kings Bay Ga - Sun, 10/11/09 6:07 PM
A fellow BBQ nerd told me about Shorty's. Of the two times that I have stopped, they have been out of everything except chicken. They only cook enough BBQ for that day, and when they run out, they are out. I have heard that the ribs were darn good, and the chicken that we had was good.

See my other post re: Ga. Pig. In a nutshell, the Ga. Pig is the worst BBQ in the area. I would hit Twin Oaks in Brunswick or Southern Soul on St. Simons Island before Ga. Pig. If you happen to go to Ga. Pig, check out the newspaper reviews of the Ga. Pig that they have framed on the wall. See if you can find any reviews that are from a newspaper south of the Mason-Dixon line.

Greymo
  • Total Posts : 3667
Re:Kings Bay Ga - Sun, 10/11/09 6:19 PM
pmscott

If you happen to go to Ga. Pig, check out the newspaper reviews of the Ga. Pig that they have framed on the wall. See if you can find any reviews that are from a newspaper south of the Mason-Dixon line.

Too funny!  I cannot understand how people can like the Georiga Pig.....................I have stopped there  three times.  I gave them a fair chance.  I think that  they serve below average food  along with foul smelling water and  bad attitudes.

beteez
  • Total Posts : 33
Re:Kings Bay Ga - Mon, 10/12/09 3:49 PM
I agree that Ga Pig is the worst Local cue in the area.  I think Southern Soul is the best with Allen's and Twin Oaks tied for 2nd. Shorty's fell behind those 2. My favorite in SE Ga is Vandy's in Statesboro.
I have never understood the love that Ga Pig receives on the net. It must be Yankees who have never had good cue.
Also Choo Choos has closed.

Born in OKC
  • Total Posts : 428
Re:Kings Bay Ga - Mon, 11/30/09 12:29 PM
Greymo-

With out in this post defending GA PIG - though I have eaten there with  diffferent results - I would point out that ALL the water in the area is swamp water.  Either drink ice tea or carry bottled water.

Really, on a coast, I'd generally rather eat fish than 'que anyway.  There are some good places to eat southern style fried fish near GA PIG.