FARMLAND BRAND BREAKFAST SAUSAGE, My New Favorite!!

mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15064
  • Reward points : 0
FARMLAND BRAND BREAKFAST SAUSAGE, My New Favorite!! - Mon, 08/31/09 3:29 PM
At the meat sale I shopped last week (see my post on the Prime Cut-Steak Forum) I bought several One-Pound Tubes of Sausage made by Farmland Foods of Kansas City, MO. I bought the "Pork and Bacon" flavor. Normal price $1.99 a lb, but on the sale it was 99 cents/lb. so I figured I had little to lose !

I am here to proclaim for anyone who can find this 'independent processor's sausage' in their local market, it is INDEED a winner. We formed the usual quarter-inch thick patties and "fried them up" !!  Outstanding Baconie Flavor. The crispy edges were just like crispy bacon bits, and the softer 'less-done' middle were full of the hickory-smoke bacon flavor as well. 

I returned to the store today and bought another 4 lbs. of those tubes (all they had available). We will use this for 'special breakfasts' for the next few months !!  I highly recommend this particular flavor of the Farmland Sausage. It is Delicious!!

ScreamingChicken
  • Total Posts : 4729
Re:FARMLAND BRAND BREAKFAST SAUSAGE, My New Favorite!! - Mon, 08/31/09 3:35 PM
Here's a link (no pun intended) to the product page.

My local Piggly Wiggly carries Farmland's "all natural" pork chops, steaks, and roasts and I'm a fan.  I don't buy breakfast sausage very often but the next time I do I'll watch for Farmland.

Brad

mayor al
Re:FARMLAND BRAND BREAKFAST SAUSAGE, My New Favorite!! - Mon, 08/31/09 3:50 PM
Brad, I saw the website too. It does say that Meijers and Kroger (both in this area) do carry the brand. I guess I never paid any attention to it.  I did skip over the "Original" flavor to get the "Pork and Bacon" Flavor tubes. That is the specific one I am recommending. I did NOT try the Original Flavor.
AL

enginecapt
  • Total Posts : 3486
Re:FARMLAND BRAND BREAKFAST SAUSAGE, My New Favorite!! - Mon, 08/31/09 3:56 PM
HOOORAY!!! Ralphs carries it! Consider it bought. I trust the Mayor's taste.

chewingthefat
  • Total Posts : 6097
Re:FARMLAND BRAND BREAKFAST SAUSAGE, My New Favorite!! - Mon, 08/31/09 5:13 PM
Al, I get it from one of my suppliers, chop it up on the flat top, mix in sliced Spanish onions, and whole sliced potatoes, black pepper, little salt, some granulated garlic, fry till the sausage is done and the potatoes have a brown crust, it's one of my top selling sides. Farmland is top notch!!!
PS. a couple of fried eggs on top of the potatoes doesn't hurt!
<message edited by chewingthefat on Mon, 08/31/09 5:16 PM>

mayor al
Re:FARMLAND BRAND BREAKFAST SAUSAGE, My New Favorite!! - Mon, 08/31/09 5:18 PM
Capt. Jack, Report back when you test it, will you please.

Tom, Do you get the "Pork and Bacon" Flavor?

I do like 'normal' flavor sausage, but this Bacon/Pork was simply delicious. I would put it at or near the top of my "best I ever had", list !
<message edited by mayor al on Mon, 08/31/09 5:52 PM>

Greymo
  • Total Posts : 3663
Re:FARMLAND BRAND BREAKFAST SAUSAGE, My New Favorite!! - Mon, 08/31/09 5:28 PM
I am going to look for this product tomorrow.  How do you think that that  flavor would be in sausage gravy?

mayor al
Re:FARMLAND BRAND BREAKFAST SAUSAGE, My New Favorite!! - Mon, 08/31/09 5:50 PM
Greymo
  I think it would be very good, but I like the 'slightly' salty,smokey bacon flavor. (as opposed to the more peppery sausage flavor!) .  I want to try a "Hash" made as Tom described it in his recipe. That sounds great too!

Capt Jack, it says Stater Brothers carries the brand, but I don't recall ever seeing the flavor there?
<message edited by mayor al on Mon, 08/31/09 5:55 PM>

enginecapt
  • Total Posts : 3486
Re:FARMLAND BRAND BREAKFAST SAUSAGE, My New Favorite!! - Mon, 08/31/09 5:56 PM
Can't say, as I usually have eyes only for the Firehouse Hot brand from Farmer John. I have Staters and Ralphas close to me, so I'll be checking both.

NYPIzzaNut
  • Total Posts : 3127
Re:FARMLAND BRAND BREAKFAST SAUSAGE, My New Favorite!! - Mon, 08/31/09 6:46 PM
Are these the same folks who produce Farmland eggs?

NYPIzzaNut
Re:FARMLAND BRAND BREAKFAST SAUSAGE, My New Favorite!! - Mon, 08/31/09 6:48 PM
mayor al

I do like 'normal' flavor sausage, but this Bacon/Pork was simply delicious. I would put it at or near the top of my "best I ever had", list !
Better than Taylor Pork Roll fried up?

mayor al
Re:FARMLAND BRAND BREAKFAST SAUSAGE, My New Favorite!! - Mon, 08/31/09 7:17 PM
Think of all the tube sausage brands..Bob Evans, Po' Folks, Clifty Farms, Broadbent, the list goes on. This is not Pork Roll, it is ground sausage sold in tube format (1 lb tubes.)  We usually slice it 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick, or hand-make pattys the size of a small Burger to fry.

And yeah, I think it is better than Pork Roll, but then I don't care much for Pork Roll !
<message edited by mayor al on Mon, 08/31/09 7:19 PM>

David_NYC
  • Total Posts : 2162
Re:FARMLAND BRAND BREAKFAST SAUSAGE, My New Favorite!! - Tue, 09/1/09 10:24 AM
Al,
Farmland is not independent; it is owned by Smithfield:
http://www.reuters.com/article/pressRelease/idUS128076+17-Feb-2009+PRN20090217

Luckily, that association gets some Farmland products in NY. I will look out for it. The brands of tubes that get sold here are usually of the fattier variety.

chewingthefat
Re:FARMLAND BRAND BREAKFAST SAUSAGE, My New Favorite!! - Tue, 09/1/09 10:41 AM
mayor al

I didn't even know about it, I will check it our, sounds great!

chewingthefat
Re:FARMLAND BRAND BREAKFAST SAUSAGE, My New Favorite!! - Tue, 09/1/09 10:50 AM
Greymo

I am going to look for this product tomorrow.  How do you think that that  flavor would be in sausage gravy?

Greymo, I believe it would make great gravy, if you need to add any salt, substitute granulated beef boullion, it really enhances the flavor as does granulated chicken boullion, instead of salt, in mashed potatoes.
My secret of the week!

1bbqboy
  • Total Posts : 4542
Re:FARMLAND BRAND BREAKFAST SAUSAGE, My New Favorite!! - Tue, 09/1/09 10:55 AM
   I grew up with Farmland products.
They've always been tasty.
I believe it was a farmer's coop that ended up declaring bankruptcy. Didn't know Smithfield had acquired them.
    We get their packaged pork here in
Southern Oregon, thankfully, because they don't seem to know how to raise pigs out this way.
    As a breakfast sausage aside, our other local brand growing up in KC was R. B. Rice's, which moved to Tennessee at some point in, I think, the 70's. It was always my favorite.

mayor al
Re:FARMLAND BRAND BREAKFAST SAUSAGE, My New Favorite!! - Wed, 09/2/09 11:17 AM
We tried another roll of the Pork and Bacon Sausage for supper last night. Formed into thin Burger-sized patties and fried "well-done". We then put them on toasted bread with sliced Tomato. No Lettuce in the house, so our make-shift BLT's were without the "L". This meat tasted great. It has a concentrated Bacony flavor that really melded with the garden-fresh Tomatoes. A little Mayo to 'grease' the bread and we had some really fine sandwiches !

NYPIzzaNut
Re:FARMLAND BRAND BREAKFAST SAUSAGE, My New Favorite!! - Wed, 09/2/09 11:49 AM
mayor al

We tried another roll of the Pork and Bacon Sausage for supper last night. Formed into thin Burger-sized patties and fried "well-done". We then put them on toasted bread with sliced Tomato. No Lettuce in the house, so our make-shift BLT's were without the "L". This meat tasted great. It has a concentrated Bacony flavor that really melded with the garden-fresh Tomatoes. A little Mayo to 'grease' the bread and we had some really fine sandwiches !
Do you prefer the result to real bacon?

mayor al
Re:FARMLAND BRAND BREAKFAST SAUSAGE, My New Favorite!! - Wed, 09/2/09 1:52 PM
Bob,
  I tend to be a traditionist, so I was leaning towards the real Bacon. We use the Costco Maple-Smoked thick-Sliced Bacon that is a bit different in flavor (sweeter) from the traditional hickory/oak smoked Bacon.

With that in mind I give the nod to the sausage for a "standard Bacon Flavored sandwich"!
The sausage patty cooks quicker and definitely more evenly and 'covers' the bread better than bacon strips do. So for the convenience I vote for the Patty-Sausage.
  However if the Boss is cooking and gives me a choice I will go for the Maple-Bacon strips every time !

NYPIzzaNut
Re:FARMLAND BRAND BREAKFAST SAUSAGE, My New Favorite!! - Wed, 09/2/09 3:09 PM
I have found that the bacon flavor sometimes is secondary to the tomato, if you have really flavorful tomatoes.  Also the bread sometimes makes more difference to me than the bacon - I love BLTs with Amish Wheat bread with a little mayo - I hardly remember what kind of bacon is in the sandwich at times when I have great garden tomatoes and fresh Amish bread.  But I guess this is going off on a tangent and I certainly do not want to go there.

Bigfoot
  • Total Posts : 24
Re:FARMLAND BRAND BREAKFAST SAUSAGE, My New Favorite!! - Sat, 09/5/09 12:13 PM
We bought a roll of this yesterday along with a roll of Hot and Zesty.  Tried the Pork and Bacon this morning on breakfast burritos and were very pleased with it.  A new fave.

mayor al
Re:FARMLAND BRAND BREAKFAST SAUSAGE, My New Favorite!! - Sat, 09/5/09 12:15 PM
Thanks Bigfoot ! It's nice to read that someone else likes it too!
AL

mayor al
Re:FARMLAND BRAND BREAKFAST SAUSAGE, My New Favorite!! - Mon, 09/7/09 11:25 AM
OK, This morning was the right time to make the "Hash" (Our version of Tom's recipe from up the thread). Janet made our Labor Day Breakfast without the usual Eggs, as this Hash did fill us up!

I lb Tube of the Pork/Bacon Sausage
1 Medium Onion Chopped pretty fine
1 Bag of the frozen Potatoes "O-Brian'

Thawed the Potatoes while browning the Sausage and onion pieces in a large skillet. Added the potatoes when the meat/onion were pretty browned up. Found the pan was too full to complete browning the potatoes, so we split the load between two large skillets.
  When everything was brown and edges good and crispy, It was ready to go.  If we had done this for four people  adding  Two fried eggs (to order) per person would have been a fine Breakfast. As it was the meat-potato hash made the two of us ready for a late-morning nap !!

chewingthefat
Re:FARMLAND BRAND BREAKFAST SAUSAGE, My New Favorite!! - Sun, 10/4/09 12:16 PM
Mr. Mayor, just got my delivery of the Farmland Pork and Bacon Sausage, had it this morning, damn it's good, you found a winner, thanks!
Tom

mayor al
Re:FARMLAND BRAND BREAKFAST SAUSAGE, My New Favorite!! - Sun, 10/4/09 1:22 PM
We learned a real lesson with this sausage yesterday. DON'T SALT THE GRAVY WHEN YOU USE THIS SAUSAGE FOR A B&G recipe. We made the gravy with some drippings, then seasoned it before adding back the cooked sausage. WAY TOO SALTY from the seasoned meat ! It would have been fine if we hadn't seasoned the gravy before adding the sausage back in.

claracamille
  • Total Posts : 414
Re:FARMLAND BRAND BREAKFAST SAUSAGE, My New Favorite!! - Sun, 10/25/09 2:11 PM
I picked up some regular Farmland sausage for to make sausage gravy for my family.

If you are used to eating Bob Evans or Jimmy Dean, then you may may not like Farmland sausage.  I really loved it, more of a "piggy" flavor.  Also, more grease left in the pan which makes for a better sausage gravy.  If I use Bob Evans or Jimmy Dean to make gravy, I always have to add some vegetable oil to have enough grease to make a good gravy.

Best of all the regular price at my local Jay-C's was $1.99