Caesar Salad with Raw Egg Yolks?

GetMeRexKramer
  • Total Posts : 20
  • Reward points : 0
Caesar Salad with Raw Egg Yolks? - Tue, 09/8/09 2:20 PM
I was having a conversation with a friend a few days ago and they were telling me how great salad is with raw egg yolks. I found that a little hard to believe. Then last night I was watching the new episode of MAD MEN and they were in a restaurant and the cook on the side of the table was separating egg yolks and serving it on a salad. I was told that was a Caesar Salad and it is normally served with raw egg yolks.

Does someone have an official recipe for this and is there any pictures of what this salad looks like with the egg yolks? I might try it but I want to see the recipe and hopefully what it looks like. I am having a hard time trying to imagine how "great" it could be.

I checked the net and couldn't find anything of substance talking about this.

Thanks.

Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2413
Re:Caesar Salad with Raw Egg Yolks? - Tue, 09/8/09 2:30 PM
http://www.clickablemelvin.com/caesar.html

I also recall the recipe being in an OLD Better Homes and Gardens cookbook.

MellowRoast
  • Total Posts : 1930
Re:Caesar Salad with Raw Egg Yolks? - Tue, 09/8/09 2:38 PM
Below is Alton Brown's Hail Caesar Salad, which is about as authentic you can get.  However, I strongly recommend Davidson's Pasteurized Shell Eggs over raw eggs any day of the week.  Not only are they safe, the are absolutely delicious!  Note links below.

http://www.safeeggs.com/

http://www.foodnetwork.co...alad-recipe/index.html

MellowRoast
  • Total Posts : 1930
Re:Caesar Salad with Raw Egg Yolks? - Tue, 09/8/09 2:44 PM
Sorry that Food Network link didn't work.  Here's the recipe:

Alton Brown's Hail Caesar Salad

Ingredients 1 loaf day old Italian bread 3 garlic cloves, mashed 9 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil 1/4 teaspoon plus 1 pinch kosher salt 2 eggs 2 heads romaine lettuce, inner leaves only 7 grinds black pepper 1 lemon, juiced 6 drops Worcestershire sauce 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese Directions Heat oven to 350 degrees.
Cut 1/2 to 3/4-inch croutons from the loaf of bread and place on a baking sheet and put into the oven until dry but not browned.
Use a mortar and pestle to mash the garlic with 4 tablespoons of oil and 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt. Strain the oil into a skillet over medium heat. Add the dried croutons and fry, tossing constantly until all of the oil is absorbed and the croutons turn gold. Set aside.
Bring 2 cups water to a boil in a small saucepan. Add the eggs and cook for 1 minute. Chill in ice water to halt cooking. Set aside.
In a very large bowl, tear lettuce and toss with 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Sprinkle with the remaining kosher salt and the black pepper. Add the remaining olive oil. Toss well. Add the lemon juice and Worcestershire sauce. Break in the eggs. Toss until a creamy dressing forms. Toss in Parmesan cheese and serve with croutons.

http://www.safeeggs.com/ 

WarToad
  • Total Posts : 1787
Re:Caesar Salad with Raw Egg Yolks? - Tue, 09/8/09 2:46 PM
I've had it prepared table side at a french cafe with a fresh raw egg yolk, and I have to say it was a step above the typical fare.  Amazing.  But then, the whole meal was amazing.

analei
  • Total Posts : 533
Re:Caesar Salad with Raw Egg Yolks? - Tue, 09/8/09 2:57 PM
WarToad

I've had it prepared table side at a french cafe with a fresh raw egg yolk, and I have to say it was a step above the typical fare.  Amazing.  But then, the whole meal was amazing.

That sounds quite special.

GetMeRexKramer
Re:Caesar Salad with Raw Egg Yolks? - Tue, 09/8/09 3:14 PM
Yes, I have never had a Caesar Salad before and I think that helped in confusing me as to how a salad can taste good with raw egg yolks on it. But when you look at the instructions on how to make a Caesar Salad I can see how the egg yolks fit into the equation.

boyardee65
  • Total Posts : 1457
Re:Caesar Salad with Raw Egg Yolks? - Tue, 09/8/09 4:43 PM
  The egg yolk is in the recipe to help bind the oil and vinegar. It is an emulsifier. I use a little Grey Pupon in my recipe as well.

Davis O.

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17815
Re:Caesar Salad with Raw Egg Yolks? - Tue, 09/8/09 5:21 PM
WarToad

I've never heard of a Ceasar salad being prepared any other way. Any other way means it's not a Caesar salad.

CCJPO
  • Total Posts : 497
Re:Caesar Salad with Raw Egg Yolks? - Tue, 09/8/09 6:13 PM
What about the anchovies?

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17815
Re:Caesar Salad with Raw Egg Yolks? - Tue, 09/8/09 7:03 PM
CCJPO

You're right! I missed the lack of anchovies.

agnesrob
  • Total Posts : 1790
Re:Caesar Salad with Raw Egg Yolks? - Tue, 09/8/09 7:45 PM
I found this recipe after doing a search on yahoo.

Caesar Salad

Its origin and recipes

This recipe is very close to the original version created in 1924 by Caesar Cardini, an Italian restaurateur in Tijuana, Mexico.  That's right, the salad is named after its creator, a Chef, not Julius Caesar of the famed Roman empire.
Serving Size: 4
Preparation Time: 0:20

Ingredients
1 large head romaine lettuce
1 cup olive oil
3 cups French bread
2 large cloves garlic
8 anchovy filets
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon dry mustard
2 tablespoon lemon juice (fresh is best)
1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1 teaspoon coarse ground salt
2 egg yolks for large eggs -- at room temperature*
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/4 cup parmesan cheese -- shredded or shaved
Preparation:
Trim the romaine lettuce of bruised or browned leaves, then cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces. Wash and drain the lettuce, pat it dry and refrigerate for 30 minutes to crisp the leaves.
To make the croutons, cut the bread into cubes, heat the 1/2 cup olive oil in a sauté pan over medium-high heat. Fry the bread cubes in the oil, tossing frequently, until they're crisp and golden. Drain the croutons on a paper towel until ready to use.
Peel the garlic cloves then put in a large wooden salad bowl. Mash the cloves against the sides of the bowl with the back of a wooden spoon. Rub the pieces against the bowl until they begin to disintegrate. Remove most of the mashed garlic from the bowl and discard (oil from the garlic will remain in the bowl and flavor the salad). Add the anchovies and repeat the procedure you used with the garlic, but leave the anchovy pieces in the bowl. Now add the dry mustard, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, black pepper, and egg yolks and blend well. Slowly drizzle in the remaining olive oil mixing with a wire whisk until a creamy mayonnaise type dressing forms. Add the lettuce, croutons, Parmesan cheese and salt. Toss everything together and serve directly from the salad bowl!

*Note:  The original recipe may have called for coddled whole eggs (warmed to 120F degrees, to coddle simmer in water 1 minute and cool in cold water) so they are soft and runny. Some chefs who make this salad today use the whole egg at room temperature.
**Sautéed or steamed vegetables, chicken and shrimp may be added if you like! Simply cook them in a separate pan and add them to the top of the salad. This will create more of a lunch or dinner portion entree.

sbp
  • Total Posts : 11
Re:Caesar Salad with Raw Egg Yolks? - Tue, 09/8/09 7:47 PM
Michael Hoffman

CCJPO

You're right! I missed the lack of anchovies.

The original recipe from Caesar Cardini (I think) in Tijuana did not include anchovies (saw this on Julia Child rerun a few weeks ago).  That is a later addition and is not strictly speaking traditional (even though I prefer it).

analei
Re:Caesar Salad with Raw Egg Yolks? - Tue, 09/8/09 7:57 PM
Mmm.the anchiovies are a delicious addition, never knew it was not in the original.

The best Ceasar salad I have had is here in Windsor. A quaint little romantic place, where most of food is cooked tableside. Disappointed with the crepes. Not at all pleasing, but overall a great restaurant.

GetMeRexKramer
Re:Caesar Salad with Raw Egg Yolks? - Tue, 09/8/09 8:03 PM
The person who was originally telling me about the egg yolks could not remember what kind of salad it was, but only that it was made tableside in restaurants. I feel like I've discovered something here. 

boyardee65
  • Total Posts : 1457
Re:Caesar Salad with Raw Egg Yolks? - Wed, 09/9/09 2:57 AM
  That's what is so great about this site!!  We all can learn something new every day.  There is a lot of accumulated knowledge  in the people who frequent this site. Most are in some type of food service.

I have made the dressing part of the recipe posted by agnesrob to a "T". The dressing will hold for a few days. The rest of the preparation can be made to order. I always used the raw egg yolks at room temp.

In France, they store their eggs at room temp for a week or more.

David O.

Cosmos
  • Total Posts : 1448
Re:Caesar Salad with Raw Egg Yolks? - Wed, 09/9/09 9:28 AM
We have Caesar salad made with raw egg yolks five or six times a year, have been for 22 years, never once had a health issue, and truly love the rich flavor...goes great with lobster and garlic roasted potatoes.

I remember my dad making it for overnight guests once as a kid...dad was a little heavy handed with the garlic. My mom and I and one of our guests went to church the next morning...realizing we wreaked..mom thought it would be a good idea if we sat in the babies room which was enclosed at the rear of the sanctuary, so we wouldn't offend other parishioners...sadly the few that were in the room with us were overcome by garlic fumes..

claracamille
  • Total Posts : 414
Re:Caesar Salad with Raw Egg Yolks? - Sun, 09/13/09 7:26 PM
Many years ago when expense accounts were all the rage, my husband requested that I learn to make Ceasar salad like restaurants prepared at table side. 

After several attempts I found a recipe in a Betty Crocker cookbook that I still use.  The recipe is much like most of the ones already listed with a few differences.

1.  I no longer have a wooden salad bowl-too much trouble to keep clean, I use a glass salad bowl.

2.  Make your own croutons, it makes all the difference.  I dip cubed french bread into garlic infused olive oil & bake at 350 until brown & crisp.  I dip the bread so

3.  I mash 2-3 cloves of garlic,3-4 anchovies, & 1/2 t salt to a paste in the bottom of the bowl, then add 1/3 C olive oil & 1 t worchester sauce.  Add 6 C torn romaine.  Sqeeze 1 & 1/2 lemons over romaine, crack coddled eggs over all, then add freshly shredded parmasan cheese, freshly ground pepper.  Gently toss & taste to see if either more salt or lemon is needed, then add the croutons. 

This is family's favorite salad & is always requested at birthday meals.  The only people I have not served it to is my daughter & daughter-in-law when they were pregnant.

If you have never prepared Ceasar salad in this way, try it.  You won't be sorry.

analei
Re:Caesar Salad with Raw Egg Yolks? - Sun, 09/13/09 7:37 PM
claracamille: thanks for the detailed recipe/technique!

baileysoriginal
  • Total Posts : 758
Re:Caesar Salad with Raw Egg Yolks? - Mon, 09/14/09 10:13 PM
claracamille - an excellent recipe - it's what Caesar Salad's all about-

Thanks.

claracamille
  • Total Posts : 414
Re:Caesar Salad with Raw Egg Yolks? - Sat, 09/19/09 11:48 AM
baileysoriginal

claracamille - an excellent recipe - it's what Caesar Salad's all about-

Thanks.

Thanks analei & also bailey.  My kids always request this for birthday dinners.  The only time I haven't served it was when my daughter-in-law & daughter were pregnant. 

I know Trader Joe's have pastuerized eggs & I will problably get some the next time I have ceasar salad.