Lou Mitchell's coast to coast?

carolina bob
  • Total Posts : 3420
  • Reward points : 0
Lou Mitchell's coast to coast? - Tue, 09/8/09 11:31 PM
The local NBC affiliate here in Chicago ( Channel 5 ) just reported that Lou Mitchell's, the beloved long-time breakfast spot in the Loop, has announced that they are going to start selling franchises and that they hope to eventually have locations coast to coast. I wonder if this means that we're going to have another IHOP-type chain to "enjoy"... 

rouxdog
  • Total Posts : 1421
Re:Lou Mitchell's coast to coast? - Wed, 09/9/09 8:42 AM
Thats good news. Citizens coast to coast will be able to catch "Chicago" type shady politicians sitting at the back corner table gobbling mounds of questionable food while caniving against hard working tax paying citizens. Pardon my attempt at cheap  humor, however, theres a bit of truth within. I never cared for Lou Mitchells, just a few blocks from our office. Big name, bad food. Wheres the nearest IHOP?
<message edited by rouxdog on Wed, 09/9/09 8:51 AM>

David_NYC
  • Total Posts : 2162
Re:Lou Mitchell's coast to coast? - Wed, 09/9/09 9:22 AM
After reading this article in Crain's Chicago business, I don't think there will be too many people buying franchises:
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?id=35390

A franchise that closes at 3 PM, doesn't take credit cards, has to look like the one in Chicago, has to have the same menu (typical Jersey Diner menu, but only breakfast and lunch menu items) doesn't sound like the best franchise opportunity out there. 

carolina bob
  • Total Posts : 3420
Re:Lou Mitchell's coast to coast? - Wed, 09/9/09 10:26 AM
David, I hope that you're right. Remember what happened when the late Ike Sewell got conned into franchising the Pizzeria Uno concept back in the '80s? We ended up with a nationwide chain using Uno's name, but serving mediocre crud bearing little resemblence to a real Chicago-style deep dish pizza. I sure don't want to see a repeat of that kind of nonsense. 

rouxdog
  • Total Posts : 1421
Re:Lou Mitchell's coast to coast? - Wed, 09/9/09 2:33 PM
After commenting negatively about Lou Mitchells, I feel compelled to make a positive comment.... I like Crains Chicago Business. I'm a former subscriber.

sk bob
  • Total Posts : 1801
Re:Lou Mitchell's coast to coast? - Wed, 09/9/09 8:38 PM
David_NYC

After reading this article in Crain's Chicago business, I don't think there will be too many people buying franchises:
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?id=35390

A franchise that closes at 3 PM, doesn't take credit cards, has to look like the one in Chicago, has to have the same menu (typical Jersey Diner menu, but only breakfast and lunch menu items) doesn't sound like the best franchise opportunity out there. 

you're right, I don't think there will be a lot of takers.
how many other breakfast/lunch only places took off "coast to coast" ?