Commissary Kitchen

Fishwater
  • Total Posts : 14
  • Reward points : 0
Commissary Kitchen - Tue, 09/15/09 8:05 PM
How does this work for you? I don't plan on doing dogs, but I am looking for others experiences. I know they can vary quite widely from area to area.

How many of you have your own private spaces and how many rent space from a church or restaurant?

Thanks for any info.

chefbuba
  • Total Posts : 1956
Re:Commissary Kitchen - Tue, 09/15/09 8:43 PM
I am set up at an old restaurant, the owner does some catering from it and rents to a couple of others to do projects in... I pay him $125 mo for the space, he also lets me use a rack in the walk in...I am fully self contained in a 20' trailer so my only need for a comissary is for an approved water source. I also have a 125 gal propane hook up there and a 160 gallon waste dump. 

If I were to move to a different location, I would still pay for the use of the space, just to satisfy the HD.

tbone654
  • Total Posts : 79
Re:Commissary Kitchen - Fri, 09/18/09 1:23 AM
Tavern's sometimes have kitchen's here...  I found several that I could use for free, but I chose one that has a good steak and cheese sandwich and I do stop in and buy drinks every once in a while...  Never pay for a commisary, unless it is to pay the fee ($225/year here) for the commisary license...

There is another one that opens at 10AM and I am able to get ice from them if I need it...  Buy more drinks...  Tell them where you are...  Make sure they can tell their friends that they know you personally...  etc. etc.  Tell them you do special events, and it's amazing how much extra work you can get...

Curbside Grill
  • Total Posts : 3916
Re:Commissary Kitchen - Fri, 09/18/09 3:41 AM
I used my own home as commissary kitchen. Can be done. Do you live in TN, or just going to work in the Hamilton Co area. So many options there. good and bad. Mostly good if you work with them.
Have a niece in Nashville that rents kitchen from her Church. She does catering to and for professional lunches. Makes a killing.
If you want some inside tips on easy catering hook-ups, I have some. Learned alot from her.
Can teach an old dog new tricks.
<message edited by Curbside Grill on Fri, 09/18/09 3:49 AM>

kar1234
Re:Commissary Kitchen - Wed, 09/23/09 8:13 PM
Curbside Grill

I used my own home as commissary kitchen. Can be done. Do you live in TN, or just going to work in the Hamilton Co area. So many options there. good and bad. Mostly good if you work with them.
Have a niece in Nashville that rents kitchen from her Church. She does catering to and for professional lunches. Makes a killing.
If you want some inside tips on easy catering hook-ups, I have some. Learned alot from her.
Can teach an old dog new tricks.

I am in the Nashville, TN area and was wondering how you were able to use the kitchen in your home as a commissary?

Curbside Grill
Re:Commissary Kitchen - Wed, 09/23/09 11:54 PM
My home is a registered  Domestic Kitchen.
http://www.state.tn.us/sos/rules/0080/0080-04/0080-04-11.pdf
<message edited by Curbside Grill on Wed, 09/23/09 11:58 PM>

kar1234
Re:Commissary Kitchen - Thu, 09/24/09 12:34 PM
Curbside Grill

The requirements seem to be very involved. You were able to meet all of those requirements? It says that " A domestic kitchen shall not exceed 100 units of sale a week" . How did you get around that requirement?  

Curbside Grill
Re:Commissary Kitchen - Thu, 09/24/09 1:05 PM
kar1234

Curbside Grill

The requirements seem to be very involved. You were able to meet all of those requirements? It says that " A domestic kitchen shall not exceed 100 units of sale a week" . How did you get around that requirement?  

The biggest requirement is taking the food handlers class one day,
then just paper work,inspection and cost $50.00/yr license fee.
I do not need to get around 100 units a week. I do not produce anything for sale.  OK, in the state of TN have Health Dept and AG dept. Health dept takes care of rest.'s,school kitchens,prison kitchens and public swimming pools. If you have a gas station, groceries and deli, Ag Deptment takes care of that. I could Go to Any number or these and Health Dept. is ok with the ag kitchens,he would love to shut a couple down but not his jurisdiction. I just wash pans. There steam pans, how much trouble is that, utensils.
I have packaged teas in the past. Big tea drinker.
Why should I have to pay someone else.

<message edited by Curbside Grill on Thu, 09/24/09 1:16 PM>

kar1234
Re:Commissary Kitchen - Fri, 09/25/09 1:35 PM
Curbside Grill

kar1234

Curbside Grill

The biggest requirement is taking the food handlers class one day,
then just paper work,inspection and cost $50.00/yr license fee.
I do not need to get around 100 units a week. I do not produce anything for sale.  OK, in the state of TN have Health Dept and AG dept. Health dept takes care of rest.'s,school kitchens,prison kitchens and public swimming pools. If you have a gas station, groceries and deli, Ag Deptment takes care of that. I could Go to Any number or these and Health Dept. is ok with the ag kitchens,he would love to shut a couple down but not his jurisdiction. I just wash pans. There steam pans, how much trouble is that, utensils.
I have packaged teas in the past. Big tea drinker.
Why should I have to pay someone else.

Did your store your hot dogs in your domestic kitchen? Would not the hot dogs be considered "units for sale"?

Curbside Grill
Re:Commissary Kitchen - Fri, 09/25/09 6:54 PM
Now you have missed something here. The cart and kitchen are two different entities.
The cart is insp. and licensed by the health dept.
The kitchen is insp.and licensed by Ag. dept.
I cook off the cart, I clean in the kitchen,my commissary.
That 100 units would be if I packaged something for sale. 100 strawberry jam,100 blueberry jam.
100 muffins.
Does not pertain to cart. The inspection is simple, quick and everybody is happy.

Curbside Grill
Re:Commissary Kitchen - Sat, 09/26/09 8:42 AM
Inspection of Kitchen involves looking in the house for rodent and bug activity, Have sink ,have refrig, storage area clean,house does not have to be sterile.  They look outside at foundation for where bugs and rodents can enter. If on well water, Have tested. city water OK. Simple 5 mins and out the door.
Whatever you are reading into this I have no idea.
Your cart inspection is harder than this.
<message edited by Curbside Grill on Sat, 09/26/09 8:55 AM>

Delta
  • Total Posts : 233
Re:Commissary Kitchen - Mon, 09/28/09 12:12 AM
Check into your local Elks, American Legion, VFW etc.  They usually have kitchens and could use the extra dough!!!

mmdogs
  • Total Posts : 44
Re:Commissary Kitchen - Fri, 10/9/09 6:12 PM
I'm working on my commissary options too right now. I have a utility room in my home with separate outside access that I can remodel into a commissary and can pass the HD with my remodel design but may get jammed up by my stupid city govt for trying to put a biz in a residential zone. I see it as no different than a lawyer or webdesigner or what ever working from a home office....no traffic and not open to the public but we shall see.

If that won't fly .....I got a friend that is a social worker for a non profit org... they got a licensed commercial kitchen to feed the homeless......hmmmmm ......you know, I need a commissary and I can write a donation check each month to help feed the homeless.

In other words.....check with some non profits and charities for a deal... with the bad economy, donations are down and more people need help than ever...they might give you a good lease deal.

And you get good Karma for helping them .

farmboy236
  • Total Posts : 129
Re:Commissary Kitchen - Wed, 10/14/09 6:02 PM
Hey KAR 1234, Metro Nashville is a different kettle of fish than the State Health Depts!  They are one of the only HDs in the country that is subcontracted to the state (they do not belong to the state government) and as a result they have to justify their existance every day(and they do!!).  Some of the things that fly with the county offices will not, WILL NOT fly with Metro.  Chili is a good example; most of the counties will let you serve a vegetarian chili, not Metro.  Their cart regs state NO vegetarian or meat chili or NO cheese or cheese product (canned cheese sauce) of any kind will be served on a pushcart.  A towable Hotdog Cart is considered by them to be a push cart.  They will let you serve both of those items in a fully self contained mobile kitchen.  The regs on that are HARSH!  Things such as grease traps, water fill nozzle at least 5 feet off of the ground and capped.  Then you have all of the other department inspections,i.e., Electrical, Sewage, Fire Marshall you'll need permits for all of those in addition to your cart permit.  Metro is just a different kettle of fish.  I ran restaurants in Nashville for a number of years and they are BY FAR, no contest, the most difficult HD I have ever seen!  Don't let anybody tell you it can't be done though, it's just tougher than anywhere else.

Curbside Grill
Re:Commissary Kitchen - Thu, 10/15/09 9:02 AM
Curbside Grill

Your cart inspection is harder than this.