Beef Market Forecasts for 2004

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Fire Safety Admin
2003/12/24 15:20:08
OK Friends,
We have watched as the Beef market has manipulated the prices of consumer Meat to the point where the average person will cut back on buying and eating it. Prices have risen well over 50% in less than 6 months time. Various reasons for the increase have been spread all over the media...Lower production, increased red-meat consumption by the public, Feed costs, The Mid-Eastern War (?), and a host of other B S reasons.
Today we have a bulletin about a genuine Pissed-Off Bovine, I am reluctant to say MAD-COW ! Apparently in a herd in Moses Lake Washington. ( I must say if I were confined in a herd in Moses Lake, Washington, I would probably display signs of mental illness also). So the various groups who normally run around in circles preventing the spread of such stuff, are doing just that..
My question for the clarivoants in the group is--- What can we expect from the announcement of this incident? (assuming it is genuine) What will the resulting action do to the market for Beef?
Come on give it a shot...You may be right!
1. decrease demand resulting in the lowering of prices to increase consumption.
2. decrease supply due to destruction of herds, resulting in a major shortage, with a related major increase in price.
3. No effect, people will ignore the whole thing and blame it on the Special Interest Lobbiests.
4. Pork and other meat prices will rise sharply as a result of increased demand from the former beef consumers.
More and More Possible Answers. You choose and explain.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Beef Market Forecasts for 2004 2003/12/24 15:58:10
Al: The mad cow disease presents a serious problem in several different ways:

1: The cattle farmers will experience a serious financial setback immediately. I have a friend that has 500 beef cattle. More than like likely the price will drop like a rock and he will experience at least in the short run a several hundred thousand dollar price drop.

2: Even more serious is the threat of Creutzfield Jacob disease which is prion based and not as understood as a virus. The incubation time of this disease is a decade. It is very concerning to the blood industry as they do not know how to test effectively. Blood transfusions will be affected.

3: The short term and long term problems of this is crazy as the beef prices is the least of the problems. Eventually all countries will be affected. I saw where most of the world today has banned US beef. Canada and England has already been affected. Soon it will be the rest of the world. The real problems is not this. It is the health of the world. Prions are not understood and can be communicable and there will be no immunization.

One cow out of about 50 million does not seem like a problem, but prions are.

Paul E. Smith
knoxville, TN
CheeseWit
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Beef Market Forecasts for 2004 2003/12/24 15:58:20
Al, based on many stories I read from many different sources, I believe that prices will drop due to decreased demand. This decrease in demand will come from the Mad Cow Disease and the effect of countries banning our beef. Without the pounds being purchased for export, the suppliers will be forced to unload the beef here and I believe they will drop their prices.
This does not bode well for beef producers.
meowzart
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Beef Market Forecasts for 2004 2003/12/24 18:10:40
Sundancer nailed it. I think Americans will be oblivious to the disease until we see bloated cows being tossed in a bonfire like they had to do in Britain. Either that, or they won't care until CJD makes its presence known seriously here in this country. It's not a bacteria or a virus...it's a protein. The health world really doesn't know how to tackle this. If you've ever given blood, you know all the questions they ask and what can keep you from donating. Now it will be...have you eaten beef or a beef-by-product in the past 10 years? Can you imagine what that will do to the blood supply? Capnhank and jelybeans are going to be the only ones out there rolling up their sleeves. The trickle down from this could be horrendous. It does not bode well for anyone!
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
RE: Beef Market Forecasts for 2004 2003/12/25 14:54:00
We had our 8 pounds of first four ribs Prime beef standing ribs last night and it was the absolute best we ever had. Took it out of the oven at 130 degrees and it was perfectly rare after a fifteen minute rest. We accompanied it with a slightly thickened jus, mashed potatoes, sauted cippolinins, and endive/beet/orange sections salad. A bottle of zinfandel and another of cabernet sauvignon went well with the meal.
Dessert was a bouch de noel put together by one of my daughters-in law (one of the ones who never cooks at all) and it was fabulous along with coffee, a late harvest riesling and last of all some apple brandy.

Life is good !!

BTW: The roast was provided by our fish monger who has a connection to get very good beef (Prime or very top Choice). This is an annual favor he does for me (we've been good customers for over 40 years) and he sells it to me at his cost. This year he was a bit troubled and apologetic when he announced he had to charge me $110 for the meat. As I was in no position to complain considering the favor he has done over many years I paid the bill with the comment that beef prices certainly had gone up. When I got home he was on the phone, explained the error, and we now have a $48 credit at our fishmongers.

Merry Christmas to all and a Happy New Year!!!
Mongo
Junior Burger
RE: Beef Market Forecasts for 2004 2003/12/26 08:48:31
These two cows were talking and one says "What do you think about this mad cow disease?"
The other cow replies "What do I care? Im a helicopter"
Oneiron339
RE: Beef Market Forecasts for 2004 2003/12/29 09:20:48
Beef futures have started to come down and should for awhile until this is sorted out. It looks like the tracing has been to Alberta, not from the US as previously thought. The Dems are starting to blame Pres. Bush for godsakes, wanting more gov't influence to "protect" everyone from tainted beef. And when I get to Alberta this week, I'm still going to have that burger!
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: Beef Market Forecasts for 2004 2003/12/29 12:19:06
This mornings' headline: RECALLED BEEF WAS SENT TO ALASKA

Great. The whole story can be found on www.adn.com

I think I'll pass on the burgers for awhile. Everybody here is talking about this, there could be some serious economical repercussions to the beef industry if they don't get this under control.
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
RE: Beef Market Forecasts for 2004 2003/12/29 16:54:04
Gosh .Oneiron, we all know Bush couldn't be to blame for the mad cow disease - he's all hat and no cattle.
Lone Star
RE: Beef Market Forecasts for 2004 2003/12/29 17:09:45
I think that prices will plummet and everyone will boycott beef for a while, just like when the disease was rampant in England. However, I don't think it will last long as many will just give it "Chicken Little" attention.

Chicken and Pork prices will rise accordingly.

I read a report today that the protein that causes the illness is in the nervous system of the animal, i.e. brains and spinal cord. Paul, do you know anything about that?
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: Beef Market Forecasts for 2004 2003/12/29 17:55:25
Lone Star, that is correct, it's in the brain and spinal cord. Even though it is technically outlawed, several packing plants take these parts and grind them up and sell them to feed companies (gotta sell the whole animal!) which mix these parts up with the feed, thus spreading the disease.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Beef Market Forecasts for 2004 2003/12/29 19:38:06
Lonestar: You are correct when you say that it is primarly the brain and spinal cord.

The problem is that no one understands prions. It ain't like virus and bacteria.

Another problem is the incubation time. It is about five to ten years.

CJD is a serious problem and the results is unpredictable.

It is unclear how the problem will affect the blood and plasma donation process in the USA. That will be ascertained in the next few months.

There is a question the the blood donation process now that ask if you have been in the UK and consumed beef? If that is implicated in the USA, it has severe implications to the blood donation process.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Bushie
Filet Mignon
RE: Beef Market Forecasts for 2004 2003/12/29 20:24:11
quote:
Originally posted by seafarer john

Gosh .Oneiron, we all know Bush couldn't be to blame for the mad cow disease - he's all hat and no cattle.

Nice try, SJ. Sorry though, you're wrong, as is clothier.

Oneiron, as usual, is right on the money.

I will say, though, that this is one of the instances where I believe government should regulate the feed. From everything I understand, this was originally caused by feeding ground bovine parts to cattle. Cattle are NOT cannibals, so it follows that they should not be eating their own dead.

This one thing is something the government should outlaw, and enforce, because the primary purpose of government is for our collective protection. (Government is NOT there to protect us from ourselves, however; EVERYONE refer to the EXCELLENT comments by oneiron on the "smoking in restaurants thread".)

However, we don't need to create another level of bureaucracy to oversight this. The beef industry, who has the most to lose by any problems with beef quality, will correct it.

The dems DID come out today and try to blame this on Bush. Typical, and typically disgusting to those of us who care about reality.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Beef Market Forecasts for 2004 2003/12/29 20:35:19
I found it incredible that the feed industry was feeding cattle feed fromother dead animals. It was outlawed in the late 1990's, however hard to enforce.

It appears that the disease is being pursued, but it is of opinion that it will devistate the cattle industry before it is over.

If it is like what happened to Europe and Canada, the beef industry will have a terrible problem.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxvillle, TN
Bushie
Filet Mignon
RE: Beef Market Forecasts for 2004 2003/12/29 20:46:25
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

I found it incredible that the feed industry was feeding cattle feed fromother dead animals. It was outlawed in the late 1990's, however hard to enforce.

Well, OK then, if Congress has already passed a law, then it's up to the Executive Branch to enforce. And, they should do that!!

Our "government" should be spending time and money on enforcement, instead of the usual "pass more laws" BS that those egostical idiots (Congress) spend all their time on.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Beef Market Forecasts for 2004 2003/12/29 20:51:44
Bushie: How do you really feel about that

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
meowzart
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Beef Market Forecasts for 2004 2003/12/29 21:54:15
People people people....we ARE in an election year (or will be in a few days). OF COURSE the dems are going to try to pin this on the republican pres. They ARE trying to win an election. If something like this comes up, OF COURSE they are going to try to spin it to their advantage. And I have no doubt that if the tables were turned, and we had a demecratic pres. and a bunch republicans gunning for office, the repubs wouldn't hesitate to use the story to their advantage either. That's how campaigning (and politics) works (fortunately or unfortunately) in this country.
Roy
Cheeseburger
RE: Beef Market Forecasts for 2004 2003/12/29 23:16:25
One answer to the problem may be found at www.meatrix.org
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Beef Market Forecasts for 2004 2003/12/30 04:44:21
Roy: that was an interesting web site. I would not want to live close to a hog farm.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Beef Market Forecasts for 2004 2003/12/30 08:30:02
The most dangerous thing about prions that are proteins is that cooking does not kill prions. Almost nothing can kill them. Scientist has taken the brain of a chimp that was stored in formaldehye for three years and injected it into another live chimp. The chimp developed CJD.

Supposing the prion lives in the brain and spinal cord. We have been advised against consuming these particular parts. I wonder what is in balogna, salami, weiners, sausage and etc.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
CheeseWit
RE: Beef Market Forecasts for 2004 2003/12/30 08:38:26
For all of those thinking about joining Bushie and yours truly on the Cheesesteak tour: if you prefer NOT eating beef, there are chicken cheesesteaks available. Thought I'd let you know before I'm inundated with tour cancellations...lol!
howard8
Cheeseburger
RE: Beef Market Forecasts for 2004 2003/12/30 10:39:28
CheeseWit: I'm still in for the cheesesteak tour.
On a cable news station, one scientist indicated he would certainly not eat cow brain. He went on to say the cuts closer to the spinal cord of the cow, he would also avoid, such as t-bone. In Northwest Jersey, the Shoprite supermarket chain has been selling Australian beef for the past six weeks. The filet mignon is priced at $7.99 per lb and boneless rib roasts are $3.99 lb. I have had two so far and the taste is good. I actually prefer bone in rib roasts but the boneless is offered at a pretty good price. I age it in the fridge and roast low and slow.
danimal15
RE: Beef Market Forecasts for 2004 2003/12/30 11:38:23
To those anti-government posters on this forum, I say this: If there's one thing I definitely want the government to do, it's to protect the safety of food for my family and me. I sure can't do much to make sure the food is safe, and it seems I can't trust the big meat companies to do it. That's when government comes in handy. Here in Chicago, the city shut down a restaurant last week because inspectors found rats in the kitchen. Would you anti-government types prefer that places like that stay in business?
i95
RE: Beef Market Forecasts for 2004 2003/12/30 11:42:29
Only if the rats in the kitchen were marinating in a bold California Shiraz.
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: Beef Market Forecasts for 2004 2003/12/30 12:30:30
It's official: according to this mornings' paper, we received tainted beef in Alaska. An excerpt from that article: "People can find out whether their meat was part of the recall by calling the market where they bought it."
Are you kidding me? Where is the USDA in this equasion?
Oneiron339
RE: Beef Market Forecasts for 2004 2003/12/30 13:03:58
quote:
Originally posted by meowzart

People people people....we ARE in an election year (or will be in a few days). OF COURSE the dems are going to try to pin this on the republican pres. They ARE trying to win an election. If something like this comes up, OF COURSE they are going to try to spin it to their advantage. And I have no doubt that if the tables were turned, and we had a demecratic pres. and a bunch republicans gunning for office, the repubs wouldn't hesitate to use the story to their advantage either. That's how campaigning (and politics) works (fortunately or unfortunately) in this country.

Only if Clinton were still in office.
Grampy
RE: Beef Market Forecasts for 2004 2003/12/30 13:58:24
I guess it's all just "beef-barrel" politics.
Bill B.
Cheeseburger
RE: Beef Market Forecasts for 2004 2003/12/30 14:46:08
Walter Mondale was ahead of his time. ("Where's the beef?")
Oneiron339
RE: Beef Market Forecasts for 2004 2003/12/30 15:02:32
If you want to check out some more liberal slant on this situation, check the website below. It seems the anti-capitalist, PETA-types, and environmental wackos may be behind alot of the scaremongering. Pretty interesting stuff.
http://www.consumerfreedom.com/headline_detail.cfm?HEADLINE_ID=2282
Lone Star
RE: Beef Market Forecasts for 2004 2003/12/30 15:19:42
I checked out the CDC website, and it stated that the threat to Americans was "very low".
meowzart
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Beef Market Forecasts for 2004 2003/12/30 15:21:34
quote:
Originally posted by oneiron339

If you want to check out some more liberal slant on this situation, check the website below. It seems the anti-capitalist, PETA-types, and environmental wackos may be behind alot of the scaremongering. Pretty interesting stuff.

I'll repeat my post from the Hot Dogs forum:

Of course the Dept. of Ag. wants you to think that "beef is absolutely safe to eat". They are trying to avoid a panic and support the biggest section of American agriculture: beef producers. Do you believe everything the government tells you? I sure as hell don't.

And I'll agree with the Harvard people....yes, "the risk of Americans contracting mad cow disease is 'as close to zero as you can get'". It is totally impossible for humans to contract BCE (mad-cow disease). Humans get CJD....
Oneiron339
RE: Beef Market Forecasts for 2004 2003/12/30 15:34:08
Humans can contract BSE (Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy) which is a variant of, and resembles, CJD. CJD is a disease, or more appropriately, a condition, similar to Sickle Cell anemia, and is inherited. BSE has been termed in the recent vernacular as "Mad Cow Disease," even though humans contract the other strain. Now, pass that burger Meowzart.
i95
RE: Beef Market Forecasts for 2004 2003/12/30 15:37:02
This thread is just so mmmoooooooooooooving. (Sorry.)
Grampy
RE: Beef Market Forecasts for 2004 2003/12/30 15:56:35
Now I am on the horns of a dilemma after that remark, it behooves me to say.
Lone Star
RE: Beef Market Forecasts for 2004 2003/12/30 16:14:56
And that is how the cow ate the cabbage.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Beef Market Forecasts for 2004 2003/12/30 16:19:40
quote:
Originally posted by meowzart

quote:
Originally posted by oneiron339

I'll repeat my post from the Hot Dogs forum:

Of course the Dept. of Ag. wants you to think that "beef is absolutely safe to eat". They are trying to avoid a panic and support the biggest section of American agriculture: beef producers. Do you believe everything the government tells you? I sure as hell don't.

And I'll agree with the Harvard people....yes, "the risk of Americans contracting mad cow disease is 'as close to zero as you can get'". It is totally impossible for humans to contract BCE (mad-cow disease). Humans get CJD....

Meowzart: You are correct in saying that humans do not get mad cow disease, but get CJD. Where you are incorrect is leading people to believe that they cannot contract CJD from cows that are infected with the disease.

The prions which are proteins and cannot be destroyed somehow mutate and that is where the problems exist. There is some type of conflict that occurs. When that happens, the disease will cross over. Prions are not understood very well by the medical community and they certainly do not understand the long term effects from this very serious problem. That is one of the reasons that people from Europe who have consumed beef and rejected as blood donors. The down side from this is if it is deemed serious enough, all beef consumers in the USA could potentially be rejected as a blood donor. That would cause immeasureable problems for major surgeries.

One thing that I do know is the total effects from the problem will not be know for some time. It devestated the beef market in Canada and it very will could in the USA and probably will. Cooking the beef will not remove the problem. That is something that the majority of the citizens in the USA do not know. This could be the beginning of something much more serious than AIDS. Please do not underestimate the seriousness of this problem. Prions are not well understood.

I am not a perveyor of ill will and and I do not want to overstate the problem but there is a problem. If I was lleechef, I would not buy beef in Alaska. Can you ascertain where the brain and brainstem products are used? Is it in the weiners, balogna or whatever.

Beef is my favorite protein and I love a great steak and brisket. This has caused me to re-evaluate my preferences.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Bill B.
Cheeseburger
RE: Beef Market Forecasts for 2004 2003/12/30 16:48:34
quote:
Originally posted by Mongo

These two cows were talking and one says "What do you think about this mad cow disease?"
The other cow replies "What do I care? Im a helicopter"

So the farmer goes to see a vet.

"I've got this cow at home that thinks it's a helicopter," says the farmer.

"A helicopter? Better bring it here so I can look at it," the vet replies.

"Are you kidding?" says the farmer. "I'm not licensed to fly a helicopter!"

So I guess it DOES spread...
meowzart
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Beef Market Forecasts for 2004 2003/12/30 17:14:37
quote:
Meowzart: You are correct in saying that humans do not get mad cow disease, but get CJD. Where you are incorrect is leading people to believe that they cannot contract CJD from cows that are infected with the disease.

Let me clarify...I never said in my post that humans cannot contract CJD from cows infected with the disease. If I led anyone to believe that I am sorry...I did not mean to mislead. Humans can possibly contract CJD by eating meat from cows infected with BSE.

This bit of information is from National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, and should help anyone confused by my post:
"What is Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease?
Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD) is a rare, degenerative, invariably fatal brain disorder. Typically, onset of symptoms occurs at about age 60.. There are three major categories of CJD: sporadic CJD, hereditary CJD, and acquired CJD. There is currently no single diagnostic test for CJD. The first concern is to rule out treatable forms of dementia such as encephalitis or chronic meningitis. The only way to confirm a diagnosis of CJD is by brain biopsy or autopsy. In a brain biopsy, a neurosurgeon removes a small piece of tissue from the patient's brain so that is can be examined by a neurologist. Because a correct diagnosis of CJD does not help the patient, a brain biopsy is discouraged unless it is need to rule out a treatable disorder. While CJD can be transmitted to other people, the risk of this happening is extremely small."

Bovine diseases cannot be contracted by humans. However, a similar disease to BSE, CJD, can be contracted by humans. From the FDA:
"BSE belongs to a group of progressive degenerative neurological diseases known as transmissible spongiform encephalopathies (TSEs). TSE diseases are always fatal. The TSE diseases include scrapie, which affects sheep and goats; transmissible mink encephalopathy; feline (cat) spongiform encephalopathy; and chronic wasting disease of deer and elk. There are six TSE diseases that affect people: kuru, classical Creutzfeldt- Jakob disease (CJD) and variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (vCJD), Gerstmann-Sträussler-Scheinker syndrome, fatal familial insomnia, and sporadic fatal insomnia. The human diseases are very rare; for example, classical CJD has been well studied and occurs sporadically worldwide at a rate of about one case per one million people." 5-10 percent of the cases are inherited. It is believed, but not yet proven, that CJD can be contracted from eating the contaminated beef of BSE cows, since the diseases are so similar. But I think, considering the number of people that have died in Britain because of CJD after the discovery of BSE there (~140 cases), none of this can be taken lightly. Especially when it comes to our nation's blood supply.

Despite the small percentage of contracting CJD, I don't think we should trivialize the importance of the discovery in the US, or belittle those who choose not to eat beef because of this.

The last I will say on the subject...That was way too much from me as it is!
i95
RE: Beef Market Forecasts for 2004 2003/12/30 17:20:08
quote:
Originally posted by Grampy

Now I am on the horns of a dilemma after that remark, it behooves me to say.

What an utterly disasterous dilemma. However, do you think we can milk this any further, Grampy ?
Bill B.
Cheeseburger
RE: Beef Market Forecasts for 2004 2003/12/30 17:22:37
What an utterly disasterous dilemma. However, do you think we can milk this any further, Grampy ?

If you do, please send me the condensed version.
i95
RE: Beef Market Forecasts for 2004 2003/12/30 17:25:16
Oh, cud it out.
Grampy
RE: Beef Market Forecasts for 2004 2003/12/30 17:33:20
Okay. I surrender. I have taken a perfectly fine thread and hurled it into the pun gutter. With straight face, I will try to take this back on track. How will mad cow disease affect beef jerkey?
i95
RE: Beef Market Forecasts for 2004 2003/12/30 17:38:10
quote:
Originally posted by Grampy

Okay. I surrender. I have taken a perfectly fine thread and hurled it into the pun gutter. With straight face, I will try to take this back on track. How will mad cow disease affect beef jerkey?

Clearly, it will just dry the beef out. Sorry. Just the thought of this impact has upset all four of my stomachs. Again, sorry.

I'm out. Pardon the interruption. I'm moooooooving on. Seriously.

Bill B.
Cheeseburger
RE: Beef Market Forecasts for 2004 2003/12/30 17:42:39
Is this an attempt at dry humor?

You're the regular Richard Prion of BSE, Grampy. The stand-up comic of downer cattle.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Beef Market Forecasts for 2004 2003/12/30 17:49:19
Meowzart: This is a serious issue.

Above is quoted by Meowzart: I do not agree with her opionion. Please understand that BCE and CJD are different however they crossover.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Bill B.
Cheeseburger
RE: Beef Market Forecasts for 2004 2003/12/30 17:55:10
Have you ever read about the Southern Appalachian squirrel hunters who got a fatal dose of prion-type infection from eating squirrel brains? It's true -- I'm not making this up. Somebody, maybe the CDC, uncovered it while researching BES back at the beginning of the scare.

It will be easier for me to forgo squirrel brains than to forgo prime rib, I'm afraid.
meowzart
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Beef Market Forecasts for 2004 2003/12/30 18:04:20
quote:

Meowzart: This is a serious issue.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

I couldn't agree with you more!!!! I wasn't trying to be jokey with this. Just pointing out that what some people take as gospel should be taken with a grain of salt--i.e. don't believe everything your read. That's all. Humans cannot contract a BOVINE disease. Hence what the Harvard experts said was true. However, humans CAN contract a variant of that disease--CJD. I was trying to point out that the Harvard experts were kind of glossing over the important thing--CJD--and that quotes in articles can be manipultated to hold up any argument....
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Beef Market Forecasts for 2004 2003/12/30 18:44:32
We seemed to have quite a discussion last Summer when the topic was including 'Brains' on a menu of favorite Breakfast items. Someone had posted a comment about them not being legal for restaurant service in some states...or maybe a federal thing. Shortly after that I saw "Brain Sandwiches" being served at a food stand at the Blues Festival in Henderson KY (June 2003). I skipped them although I recall that being a Midwest delicacy many years ago.
With all the current uproar I don't think I will order that part of a cow for some time to come....if ever.
Paul, Have you eliminated ALL Beef from your diet as a precaution?
AL
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: Beef Market Forecasts for 2004 2003/12/30 18:47:29
80 percent of the implicated meat went to Oregon and Washington. Alaska, Montana, Hawaii, Idaho and Guam received limited supplies. How much are "limited supplies"? The East Coast Guys said that it was shipped mainly to "ethnic" grocery stores with MAYBE one or two major chain stores thrown in. What the heck does that mean???? Are we gonna play roulette with this issue??
I have not been in a grocery store here since this began (cuz we're stocked to the gills in food) but am going to swing by one of the chain stores this afternoon, just to see what the beef situation looks like.
But the SCARY part is that they get it from the FEED and don't tell me just ONE cow got infected!
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Beef Market Forecasts for 2004 2003/12/30 18:59:47
Mr. Mayor and all:

How do you forecast CJD???

I cannot tell you what to do as the disease is yet unknown. For sure it is a problem.

Until more is know, I will assure you that I will avoid beef and probably other protein products.

I really ain't a vegan but until more is know. I will be one.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: Beef Market Forecasts for 2004 2003/12/30 19:10:55
Sundancer, you can always eat crappie.
Grampy
RE: Beef Market Forecasts for 2004 2003/12/30 19:15:17
I hear that there is a TV show called Fear Factor, or some such, where the particpants eat everything. To think, cheeseburgers might be on their next episode.

I'll stick with buying beef from the local organic farms.
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: Beef Market Forecasts for 2004 2003/12/30 19:45:28
BUT, where is the USDA??? I remember getting BUSTED for just entering a meat processing facility in Boston.....I was only in the door but didn't have a hard hat on......was on my way to the office to stand and wait for my order when BOOM! the USDA guy was right behind me! Says, "John, you know I could shut you down for this."
Where was this guy when the "mad cow" went through the line??? Huh??? And why are they processing brains, spinal cords and God knows what else to put back into the feed??? This is unexcusable!
Grampy
RE: Beef Market Forecasts for 2004 2003/12/30 19:49:03
quote:
Originally posted by lleechef

BUT, where is the USDA??? I remember getting BUSTED for just entering a meat processing facility in Boston.....I was only in the door but didn't have a hard hat on......was on my way to the office to stand and wait for my order when BOOM! the USDA guy was right behind me! Says, "John, you know I could shut you down for this."
Where was this guy when the "mad cow" went through the line??? Huh??? And why are they processing brains, spinal cords and God knows what else to put back into the feed??? This is unexcusable!

Absolutely. And pardon Mr. Late 60s Paranoia, but imagine what they are not telling us.
i95
RE: Beef Market Forecasts for 2004 2003/12/30 20:32:01
Like the fact that since 1967, the U.S. has had an insufficient beef supply to match domestic demand thereby reverting to a covert plan for another, nearly infinite "meat source" -- which today, morbidly, comprises nearly 70-percent of all "beef" sales in the country.

"SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE !!!!!!!!!!"
meowzart
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Beef Market Forecasts for 2004 2003/12/30 21:30:33
LOL!!!!

Thanks i95!!
Bushie
Filet Mignon
RE: Beef Market Forecasts for 2004 2003/12/30 22:07:21
Update:

I did my shopping for the New Year's Day meal tonight. I was curious to observe the shopping habits. There was a LOT of beef going out. Most of the good pork products were already bought up, though. I wasn't sure if that was because of the "beef scare" or if it was just because people tend to eat pork on the New Year. I concluded that the people shopping at that store didn't really care about Mad Cows.

Personally, though, I have been appalled at some of the things I've learned today:

1) Sick cattle are allowed to be processed into meat cuts for human consumption.

2) The practice of grinding up dead animals for feed extends to ALL meat animals; poultry, pork, and beef.

3) For those of you who think the government works for our best interest, both of the practices above were ALLOWED by regulators.

I'm disgusted by it all.
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: Beef Market Forecasts for 2004 2003/12/30 22:51:18
Yes, Bushie, you're right! Where is the f***ing USDA????!!!! I got BUSTED by not having a hard hat on, but the Mad Cow didn't get busted at all. What the hell is going on?
Bushie
Filet Mignon
RE: Beef Market Forecasts for 2004 2003/12/31 08:37:55
quote:
Originally posted by lleechef

Yes, Bushie, you're right! Where is the f***ing USDA????!!!! I got BUSTED by not having a hard hat on, but the Mad Cow didn't get busted at all. What the hell is going on?

You were an easier "target".
scbuzz
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Beef Market Forecasts for 2004 2003/12/31 09:55:55
One of the big things that bothers me about all this is that they are saying that this tainted meat came from a "Downer" cow. One that was too sick to stand or walk !!!! They also said it came from a Holstein ??? I thought Holsteins were dairy cattle ???

Now I ask ... what the heck are they doing allowing them to slaughter a sick downer cow for human consumption !! I mean, if the cow is sick .... doesn't that tell us something ???
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2