The Waffle Thread

Junior Burger
2009/09/28 21:48:16
What's the best restaurant waffle you've ever had?  We recently got our first waffler and are looking for recipes that use malted flour and/or buttermilk.

Thanks!

P.S. Recommendations for waffle mixes (is Carbon's any good?) are also appreciated.
post edited by JeffG - 2009/09/28 21:52:11
TnTinCT
Cheeseburger
Re:The Waffle Thread 2009/09/29 18:50:47
i like the Krust-eez (spelling?) belgian waffle mix for a quick breakfast - slightly sweet, and very tender. Sometimes add a bit of cinnamon and chopped pecans for a different approach.
TnTinCT
Cheeseburger
Re:The Waffle Thread 2009/09/29 18:50:48
i like the Krust-eez (spelling?) belgian waffle mix for a quick breakfast - slightly sweet, and very tender. Sometimes add a bit of cinnamon and chopped pecans for a different approach.
mar52
Sirloin
Re:The Waffle Thread 2009/09/29 19:02:16
I love Carbon's.  First time I had it was at a motel in Gallop, NM.

They had a do-it-yourself waffle station and I did it myself!

I liked it so much I turned the waffle maker in every direction I could until I found the information I needed.

Carbon's Golden Waffle Maker.

I also wanted the waffle maker, but they don't sell them.

Really good stuff!

You can buy it from Williams Sonoma or directly online from Carbon's.

Where do I pick up my check?
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:The Waffle Thread 2009/09/29 19:36:08
JeffG

What's the best restaurant waffle you've ever had?  We recently got our first waffler and are looking for recipes that use malted flour and/or buttermilk.

Thanks!

P.S. Recommendations for waffle mixes (is Carbon's any good?) are also appreciated.

Any waffle from:

http://www.originalpancakehouse.com/phm_waffles2.html

http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurant/Email/1501/original-pancake-house

is outstanding and the best available.
Greymo
Filet Mignon
Re:The Waffle Thread 2009/09/29 20:07:38
I think that the waffles from Waffle House are outstanding.
badbyron722
Cheeseburger
Re:The Waffle Thread 2009/09/30 22:24:11
Me too. It gets a bad rap,but Ive always liked their waffles.In fact we ate breakfast there this morning.Had a cheesesteak omelet with a side of grits.Wife had a special and I ate half her waffle.
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
Re:The Waffle Thread 2010/02/23 11:35:41
We'd had a large BBQ lunch and had no appetite for dinner, except maybe some dessert. There was a Waffle House we could walk to from our motel. So, despite previous bad experiences at Waffle Houses we decided to go. It was definitely a yeah/boo experience. In contrast to some Waffle Houses this one was clean and orderly. Our waitress and the lady chef were both friendly, informative, efficient, and welcoming.  Gail's cup of hot chocolate was an 8 or 9 on a scale of 10. My waffle was a 2 or 3 on a scale of 10 (10 being best). It was uncooked in the center - I like my waffles crispy. And their syrup is a total loss - no taste except sweet, and no butter was served with my waffle. My cup of coffee was about 5 on the scale.

I considered  ordering some fries, but I had forgotten Hoffman's rules on how to order, so, not wanting to seem ignorant, I let them pass - but they did look good on the grill.    

It'll be a long time before I go to another Waffle House.

Cheers, John  
Russ Jackson
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:The Waffle Thread 2010/02/23 12:02:53
You can buy Carbon Waffle makers from ebay for under a $100 if you watch. Search commercial waffle, ruggedi, and carbon waffle.They weigh about 50 lbs and are made of cast iron. You will have to clean it up. I know this because I have 3 of them. I use them to feed my service providers for breakfast on special occasions. The ones I have have to be 50 years old and work great. They will outlive the owner. When you consider that they are cheaper and far superior to anything you can buy retail I do not know why one would buy anything else. I have given a few as gifts and people love them. On a side note they work well for making brownies and hashbrowns. The recipe I use is a Yeast Version and have to be made the day ahead but it is worth it.

Yeast Waffles
Ingredients
2 cups flour
1-1/2 tsp instant yeast (not ‘active dry’. If using active dry yeast, make sure to proof it first)
1 1/2 stick melted butter 2 cups warm milk (heated to about 110 degrees)
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
The night before:
  1. Combine and whisk together the dry ingredients in a large bowl: flour, yeast, sugar and salt.
  2. Combine the melted butter and milk. Add the mixture to the dry ingredients.
  3. Whisk eggs and vanilla together in a separate small bowl. Add the egg-vanilla mixture to the other mixture, and whisk until well-combined.
  4. Cover with plastic wrap and stick in the fridge until tomorrow morning. (The batter can rise for 10 to 24 hours.)
The next morning:
  1. Prepare waffle iron as usual. Stir the batter to deflate it (it should be puffy and frothy).
  2. Add to waffle iron the same way you would other batter, keeping in mind that this batter will rise more than batters that use baking powder instead of yeast.
You can add all kinds of things to Waffles including cooked ground sausage and cheese. Try just cheese and jalapenos or pineapple chunks. I have made Waffles alot of ways. Make sure you spray the Waffle Maker with non-stick spray...Russ
OliverB
Junior Burger
Re:The Waffle Thread 2010/03/21 13:50:12
Belgian Waffle topped with fresh fruit, English cream and maple syrup in Quebec City.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:The Waffle Thread 2010/03/22 15:28:28
Is your Waffle Iron a Belgian,(Big Holes) or Regular, (Small Holes) one?
For Belgian Waffles, I use Krusteaz Belgian Mix.
For Regular Waffles, I use Pioneer Buttermilk Biscuit & Baking Mix and add a little Vanilla Extract to it.
Davydd
Sirloin
Re:The Waffle Thread 2010/03/22 15:50:13
The waffle breakfast at The Pie Place in Grand Marais, MN with fresh fruit, two Maple syrup flavored sausages and pure Maple syrup.

Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:The Waffle Thread 2010/03/22 18:58:28
Davydd,
Where's the WHOPPED CREAM???
Greymo
Filet Mignon
Re:The Waffle Thread 2010/03/22 19:16:39
That wonderful waffle does not need  whipped cream to be outstanding.  This looks,  and sounds like, a perfect waffle!
collinf
Cheeseburger
Re:The Waffle Thread 2010/03/23 09:34:36
THAT is a thing of beauty, Davydd.  Thanks for sharing.
JDAStonewall
Hamburger
Re:The Waffle Thread 2010/08/05 01:32:36
This past Sunday at the Terrace Cafe in Charlotte I had a red velvet waffle with a cream cheese drizzle. It was excellent!
leethebard
Sirloin
Re:The Waffle Thread 2010/08/05 07:26:05
Krust-eze that many mention above is sold in large bags at costco...makes a good waffle and great pancakes...I'll also second Waffle House...also good.
post edited by leethebard - 2010/08/05 08:05:28
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:The Waffle Thread 2010/08/06 00:45:21
Lo Lo's Chicken & Waffles in Phoenix has the most unusual fantastic flavor to them but I can't figure out what it is. I guess I'll just ask them next time I'm in there. What ever it is----It's terrific!
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:The Waffle Thread 2010/08/06 01:06:39
These are terrific!

French Toast Waffles
Serves two

3 large eggs
1/4 cup heavy cream
pinch of salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons orange zest, finely grated
4 slices brioche or challah pullman*

1. Lightly beat the eggs, then add all other ingredients, except the bread, and beat until well combined.
2. Soak two slices of bread in the egg mixture for about 1 minute, then turn over and soak the other side of each slice for another minute. Move the slices of bread to the waffle iron, and arrange them to fit.
3. Press down the waffle iron to make those waffle-grids on the french toast. As the waffles cook, they’ll rise and get all puffy, then start to deflate again. Take the waffles out just after they’ve started on their deflating stage. This ensures that you get a little of the crispy, and a little of the eggy insides.
4. Repeat with the other two slices. Serve with confectioner’s sugar and/or maple syrup.
*This just means brioche or challah bread in the usual white bread loaf shape :) Not the large mushroom-shaped brioches or the braided challah. Square slices basically fit better into a waffle iron.

kaszeta
Double Cheeseburger
Re:The Waffle Thread 2010/08/06 08:42:08
Foodbme

Lo Lo's Chicken & Waffles in Phoenix has the most unusual fantastic flavor to them but I can't figure out what it is. I guess I'll just ask them next time I'm in there. What ever it is----It's terrific!

I have yet to make it there on one of my PHX visits.  I do love chicken and waffles... (when I had once a month trips out to the LA area for work, going to Roscoe's after we were done and heading back to the airport became a tradition)
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:The Waffle Thread 2010/08/06 14:06:21
kaszeta

Foodbme

I have yet to make it there on one of my PHX visits.  I do love chicken and waffles... (when I had once a month trips out to the LA area for work, going to Roscoe's after we were done and heading back to the airport became a tradition)

Just make sure you go to the original location on Yuma St. They opened a second location but it doesn't have the same "Mojo". The floors aren't tilted and the walls don't talk to you!
collinf
Cheeseburger
Re:The Waffle Thread 2010/08/09 10:20:55
I also agree with the Krust-eez Waffle (or Pancake) mix.  Does a great job for making waffles or pancakes.

Waffle House does okay with waffles but I don't find them to be anything special.

The Original Pancake House is a very good choice.

We have some restaurants around here called First Watch.  I know they are in other parts of the country, too.  They do a great job with waffles.

http://www.firstwatch.com/
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:The Waffle Thread 2010/08/09 12:08:41
collinf

I also agree with the Krust-eez Waffle (or Pancake) mix.  Does a great job for making waffles or pancakes.

Waffle House does okay with waffles but I don't find them to be anything special.

The Original Pancake House is a very good choice.

We have some restaurants around here called First Watch.  I know they are in other parts of the country, too.  They do a great job with waffles.

http://www.firstwatch.com/

Well, I'll be gol daged! We have them out here in AZ and I thought they were just local. They don't have a chain "Feel" to them and they don't promote themselves as a chain. Their food is good! A little pricey, but good.
claracamille
Cheeseburger
Re:The Waffle Thread 2010/08/22 19:03:10
Greymo

I think that the waffles from Waffle House are outstanding.

I second Greymo's Waffle House vote.   I always get mine extra crispy with a side of country ham.  Your waffle comes straight off the grill, hot so the butter melts right away. 
Dude111
Double Cheeseburger
Re:The Waffle Thread 2010/11/01 04:46:22
I used to like these waffles we got from a store and mad @ home...oh my they were the best!!

I havent eaten waffles in quite awhile
MellowRoast
Re:The Waffle Thread 2010/11/01 05:09:33
Waffle House does have a good waffle, and part of their secret is they add half & half to the batter.  But Carbon's is outstanding, and I've enjoyed at so many good restaurants and hotels.  It's available at reasonable prices on their website, and I believe I've seen it at World Market stores.
MellowRoast
Re:The Waffle Thread 2010/11/01 05:17:12
Several years ago, Thomas' made a great unrefigerated waffle that was sold in the bread section of the supermarket next to their English muffins.  It was an unbelievably good product, excellent in fact, and I (who detest packaged waffles) bought it regularly.  Apparently, it didn't survive the marketplace.
oigetit
Junior Burger
Re:The Waffle Thread 2010/11/01 23:25:01
I seem to be the only one who likes buttermilk waffles with sausage gravy on top.  Is there anyone else?   Anybody????
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:The Waffle Thread 2010/11/01 23:38:16
A waffle with gravy? Not butter and syrup?
mar52
Sirloin
Re:The Waffle Thread 2010/11/01 23:50:10
Gravy?

ALWAYS butter and syrup!

(I admit to having strawberries and whipped cream.... a few times)
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:The Waffle Thread 2010/11/02 00:14:12
oigetit

I seem to be the only one who likes buttermilk waffles with sausage gravy on top.  Is there anyone else?   Anybody????

Take Heart! You're not alone!
We had a Diner back home in PA that served shredded chicken and gravy on a waffle. Very Good!
In Phoenix, LoLo's Chicken & Waffles serves the " Baby Ray" - 3 pcs of Chicken, smothered with Gravy & Onions, with 2 Waffles for $12.00!
MellowRoast
Re:The Waffle Thread 2010/11/02 00:22:25
Don't know if I could get used to the idea of a sausage gravy waffle. 
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:The Waffle Thread 2010/11/02 00:28:12
MellowRoast

Don't know if I could get used to the idea of a sausage gravy waffle. 

No big deal---If you like Biscuits & Gravy this is it's first Cousin! Just another form of dough. Some scrambled eggs on the side would just top it off.!
leethebard
Sirloin
Re:The Waffle Thread 2010/11/02 04:37:42
While I love sausage and gravy, who'd taste a waffle with that heavy gravy on it????
Russ Jackson
Re:The Waffle Thread 2010/11/02 06:49:09
Sometimes I add cornmeal to the waffle mix instead of some of the flour and add cooked ground sausage, diced jalapeno's and shredded cheddar cheese. This makes a great savory waffle...Russ
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:The Waffle Thread 2010/11/02 09:34:26
I would definately try sausage gravy on a waffle!!
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:The Waffle Thread 2010/11/02 12:59:41
leethebard

While I love sausage and gravy, who'd taste a waffle with that heavy gravy on it????

Only one way to find out. Give it a try!

Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:The Waffle Thread 2010/11/02 13:01:28
Russ Jackson

Sometimes I add cornmeal to the waffle mix instead of some of the flour and add cooked ground sausage, diced jalapeno's and shredded cheddar cheese. This makes a great savory waffle...Russ

Sounds good! Does IHOP & Waffle House know about this??

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:The Waffle Thread 2010/11/02 13:04:14
Foodbme

Russ Jackson

Sounds good! Does IHOP & Waffle House know about this??

I wouldn't know about that IHOP place, but I'm sure you could get them to top your waffle with sausage gravy at the Waffle House -- probably with the sausage gravy charge added.

leethebard
Sirloin
Re:The Waffle Thread 2010/11/02 14:21:32
annpeeples

I would definately try sausage gravy on a waffle!!

Why not...I'll give it a try!!
boyardee65
Re:The Waffle Thread 2010/11/02 15:16:07
 For the last few years I have been working at a diner that serves Carbon's waffles. We lease the equipment and agree to use only their product. The mix is easy to use and the result is very good. I like to put a couple strips of bacon in the iron after pouring in the batter. Serve with peanut butter, banana, and syrup. You can put anything you want in a waffle as long as you have a nonstick iron. Experiment with different fruits, nuts and meats. 

David O.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:The Waffle Thread 2010/11/02 15:24:19
boyardee65

For the last few years I have been working at a diner that serves Carbon's waffles. We lease the equipment and agree to use only their product. The mix is easy to use and the result is very good. I like to put a couple strips of bacon in the iron after pouring in the batter. Serve with peanut butter, banana, and syrup. You can put anything you want in a waffle as long as you have a nonstick iron. Experiment with different fruits, nuts and meats. 

David O.

I went on Carbon's web site. If I owned that company, I'd do consumer packaging and build an Iron for Consumer use. They look good.

Russ Jackson
Re:The Waffle Thread 2010/11/02 15:37:12
You can buy it on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Golden-Malted-Pancake-Waffle-Mix/dp/B000ILEMAU
You will want one of these. http://cgi.ebay.com/vintage-heavy-rugged-commercial-cast-iron-waffle-iron-/270656354549?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f046038f5

I have bought several for under a $100 on ebay. A little black engine paint and a trip to a local sandblaster. They will clean up like new and last forever. I give them to people as gifts. I have three right now that I use all the time when I cook for my service providers. Make sure you put them on different circuts as they blow breakers....Russ
See Post #8 on page 1.
post edited by Russ Jackson - 2010/11/02 15:40:56
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:The Waffle Thread 2010/11/02 16:03:09
Russ Jackson

You can buy it on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Golden-Malted-Pancake-Waffle-Mix/dp/B000ILEMAU
You will want one of these. http://cgi.ebay.com/vintage-heavy-rugged-commercial-cast-iron-waffle-iron-/270656354549?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f046038f5

I have bought several for under a $100 on ebay. A little black engine paint and a trip to a local sandblaster. They will clean up like new and last forever. I give them to people as gifts. I have three right now that I use all the time when I cook for my service providers. Make sure you put them on different circuts as they blow breakers....Russ
See Post #8 on page 1.

Doggoneit! They beat me to it! There's also some new, reasonably priced heavy duty waffle irons on that Amazon page.