fried onion burgers in el reno

Junior Burger
2009/10/02 19:58:57
i am going to be stopping in el reno ok. later this month for a fried onion burger; it's a local specialty.
my problem is their are three great places to go: johnie's, sid's, & robert's.  (a similar situation exists
when in san antonio, nm regarding green chile cheeseburgers, with the owl bar, & the buckhorn.
but i've been to san antonio often enough to know the owl bar rules! how do they do it?)
how many roadfooders have a favorite fried onion burger?  let me know where to go.
plb
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:fried onion burgers in el reno 2009/10/02 20:09:26
They are small.  You could hit two or three of them for a meal, and maybe have room for one of their small, red hotdogs.  Or one of the places is mostly a takeout, get one from there and eat it later.  Then tell us how you rank them.
tiki
Filet Mignon
Re:fried onion burgers in el reno 2009/10/03 06:37:55
i am a Johnies fan--but they are all good so what the heck--hurt yourself and try them all!!!--i you dont get fries you should be fine!
phatues
Junior Burger
Re:fried onion burgers in el reno 2009/10/03 18:30:19
i was thinkin' this morning, that between my wife & i, we could probably handle two burgers & one, maybe two coneys without
needing to nap. so maybe we will try a couple different spots.
tiki
Filet Mignon
Re:fried onion burgers in el reno 2009/10/04 01:27:41
forget the coneys!! i love it here in Oklahoma---but---this is NOT a hot dog state!!!!
BR
Cheeseburger
Re:fried onion burgers in el reno 2009/10/04 08:15:59
I've not eaten at the other places in El Reno but I have eaten at Johnnie's. The new place is just not the same as the old Johnnie's Grill. The little hole in the wall place was very unique. The burgers are the same however. I like the slaw dogs... very unique lime green colored slaw. They were great! If you have an opportunity try the fried onion burger at Nic's near 10th & Penn in OKC. One burger is like 3-4 times the size of Johhnie's and he doesn't squish the juices out of the meat. 
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:fried onion burgers in el reno 2009/10/14 10:57:27
Maybe checking out this trip report from last year will help. 

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/tm.aspx?m=405282&high=el+reno

If I remember correctly, I'd liked the onion burger at Robert's best, the milkshake and atsmophere at Sid's and the hot dog at Johnnie's was my favorite.
post edited by buffetbuster - 2009/10/14 11:23:57
EatingTheRoad
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:fried onion burgers in el reno 2009/10/14 11:06:41
I only managed to stop into Johnnie's but I can vouch for a good burger there.  

iceomat
Cheeseburger
Re:fried onion burgers in el reno 2009/10/20 16:05:47
If it's not too late, check out this site:

http://www.eataroundokc.com/category/americana/burgers-and-dogs/

In El Reno I've only tried Johnnies but it was very good. I also like Bunny's and especially Nic's Grill, both in OKC. But the best onion burger I've had was from a little hole-in-the-wall place here in Guthrie called the Bar-Mac Cafe. The only problem is actually finding the place open. They keep strange hours.