2 liter prices!!!

Cheeseburger
2009/10/21 19:28:34
We consume at least one 2 liter bottle of diet soda a day.  This weekend I went shopping and our soda was $1.69 a bottle.  Sheese! There is about .20 worth of stuff in a 2 liter bottle.

Is there a cheaper way to acquire name brand soda at reasonable prices.

I am considering home carbonization, but have not found a source for diet Mountain Dew.
kirstine
Cheeseburger
Re:2 liter prices!!! 2009/10/21 19:38:06
That's about the norm price wise here too, some stuff we buy is as much as $1.97 a bottle.  We've taken to buying the store name brands that often taste the same...Dr Zipper anyone? lol

Other than that bulk or discount stores are the only other options we find.
sk bob
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:2 liter prices!!! 2009/10/21 20:10:05
1. drink water from your tap.
2. store brand soda.
3. look for sales in store flyers.

do you also consume a large pizza with that DIET soda?
no offense but I know people who do. I don't understand it.
LeadBelly
Hamburger
Re:2 liter prices!!! 2009/10/21 21:43:58
sk bob

Yeah that seems kind of weird but I do the same thing. My mother was a diabetic and sugar free was the only soda in the house and just got used to it being the drink of choice after water. For me diet soda tastes right even though I've never lost any weight drinking it with fried chicken, a rack of ribs or anything with french fries. 
DawnT
Re:2 liter prices!!! 2009/10/21 22:34:35
Store brand's have gotten so good since the 80's, at times, the clone surpasses the original in taste. At half the price, it's a no-brainer to forego the name brands.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:2 liter prices!!! 2009/10/21 23:29:52
A short time back (september??) Coke and Pepsi products jumped in price bigtime in our area. Lately (Mid October) They have dropped a bit...at least the 2 liters have. Typical prices have them at $1.19 @. The RC/A&W/7-up group are all at 99 cents and the store brands Sams or Big K have not changed from their 69-79 cent prices.

Lucky for me our local store lumps Vernors with the RC/Crush/A&W group. This week they are selling  three 12pks of cans for $8. Since normal price for Vernors is $4.98 a 12 pk, the sale price is a real Bargain. I am stocking up on my favorite Ginger Ale.
bwave
Cheeseburger
Re:2 liter prices!!! 2009/10/22 00:37:23
This isn't helpful i know...  but really 2-litre?   12oz cans are much fresher, I drink "alot" of soda, and maybe drink 1 or 2 a night at most.   Usually can buy 3 x 12 pks for $8 or 4 x 12 pks for $11   (that's like 23cent per can)  certainly alot cheaper than 99cent-129cent 2-litres that go flat quickly.    (as far as per day, not per ounce)          (you should stock up with the 12s are $1.99 and the 24s are $2.99-3.99, happens a few times a year at food lion and rite-aid/walgreens)

You might want to condider switching to non-diet soda.  That diet stuff is very unhealthy for you with all the chemicals in it, and actually the super-sweet fake sweetners are highly addictive and make you crave sweetness more, and likely cause binge drinking/eating.  You probably end up eating more calories in the long run.      (plus bleck, more power to you, i'd rather drink battery acid)
sop that
Cheeseburger
Re:2 liter prices!!! 2009/10/22 18:48:39
I have not had a sugar (or hfcs) beverage in many years.  Last time I had a real Coke it might as well have been battery acid, the way it tweaked my innards.  And I have cast iron innards.

I can go months without drinking any soda/prepared beverage or sugar substitutes and do not notice a difference in my eating habits/urges.  YMMV
Scorereader
Sirloin
Re:2 liter prices!!! 2009/10/23 16:11:17
If one drinks a 2 liter bottle per day, I don't think one has to worry about "freshness."

Plus, cans and bottles are over carbonized, on purpose. Because they were originally intended to be poured out into a glass. A 12 oz can has far higher carbonization than 12 oz. draught. So, you're actually better off pouring into a glass for a more authentic taste and feel.

Besides, flat soda can be guzzled faster.

tmiles
Re:2 liter prices!!! 2009/10/23 16:12:45
Watch for the sales and stock up. I didn't see any of those old .69 or .79 sales of a year ago, but I did see .89 and 6 for $5 a few times recently.
Scorereader
Sirloin
Re:2 liter prices!!! 2009/10/23 16:14:16
I've seen a ton of 4 for $5 recently, which is $1.25 per bottle. that's 25 cents less than a 20 oz bottle.

mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:2 liter prices!!! 2009/10/23 18:11:25
Yeah a 2 liter doesn't last long enough to go flat in my refrigerator !!
The name brands are pushing the prices up every time I go to the store, but the store brands are still way under a buck a bottle.
marzsit
Cheeseburger
Re:2 liter prices!!! 2009/10/23 23:58:29
sop that

We consume at least one 2 liter bottle of diet soda a day.  This weekend I went shopping and our soda was $1.69 a bottle.  Sheese! There is about .20 worth of stuff in a 2 liter bottle.

Is there a cheaper way to acquire name brand soda at reasonable prices.

I am considering home carbonization, but have not found a source for diet Mountain Dew.

sodastream makes a decent diet mountain dew clone, they call it 'fountain mist'.. it's a 24-1 concentrated syrup you mix with carbonated water, one bottle is about $5 and makes 12 liters of soda.

the downside to using sodastream's hardware is the high cost of their co2 cylinders and empty cylinder exchanges... if you're willing to do some tinkering and engineering, it's not difficult to put together an economical home carbonation system.
beijinger
Cheeseburger
Re:2 liter prices!!! 2009/10/24 02:02:23
? Was cost of 2-liter of the big 2 Pepsi and Coca Cola. Here in Beijing it ranges depending if on sale from 3.7 RMB to 6.5 RMB   currently 6.82 RMB to the $ US. its real sugar too.
sop that
Cheeseburger
Re:2 liter prices!!! 2009/10/24 10:14:56
Marzit,

I am going to try the Sodastream syrup using my sletzer bottle to carbonate, if it tastes acceptable I will look into a better way to carbonate at home.  Thanks for the tip. 

BTW I saw that Sam's sell soda syrups, I may have to become a member.
Jennifer_4
Re:2 liter prices!!! 2009/10/24 12:50:42
geez where do you guys live that its that much???? I NEVER pay more than 1.25 for 2 litres...and that's pushing the high end...  the ones at the store yesterday were running between 88 cents and 1.25
tmiles
Re:2 liter prices!!! 2009/10/24 19:09:31
Scorereader

I've seen a ton of 4 for $5 recently, which is $1.25 per bottle. that's 25 cents less than a 20 oz bottle.

I know. I've been told that the 20 oz is the profit maker. I guess we know why
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re:2 liter prices!!! 2009/10/24 19:22:34

You're slowly killing yourself. Do you smoke, too?

Drink water, (unsweetened) ice tea, or wine. Preferably red. Your body will thank you and reward you with added (healthy) years to your life.

Sorry, didn't mean to rant or preach to you. Unhealthy eating is a "thing" with me. At least practice moderation.

marzsit
Cheeseburger
Re:2 liter prices!!! 2009/10/24 21:59:26
around here, 2-liters go for $1.75 to $2 at the local safeway stores, the 20-oz sell for about the same prices at convenience stores. all beverages are expensive in washington... but then again, washington is the state that convinced the entire world to pay $5+ for a cup of coffee......
Scorereader
Sirloin
Re:2 liter prices!!! 2009/10/26 09:32:00
Twinwillow

Drink water, (unsweetened) ice tea, or wine. Preferably red. Your body will thank you and reward you with added (healthy) years to your life.

Sorry, didn't mean to rant or preach to you. Unhealthy eating is a "thing" with me. At least practice moderation.

Thats the beauty of a basically anonymous forum, you can say "I don't mean to rant" but rant anyways. Or offer unsolicted advice on how to live. Wondering if you'd actually say, "You're slowly killing yourself. Do you smoke, too?" face to face to someone you've never met.

I know that face to face, I'd say, "go ---- yourself."

EatingTheRoad
Re:2 liter prices!!! 2009/10/26 10:21:58
I understand both sides of that argument and I don't mean to get in the middle of anything but I do find it kind of funny that on a site like Roadfood you say:

Twinwillow
Unhealthy eating is a "thing" with me.

...I'm not saying that everyone here eats unhealthy but we're certainly not discussing steamed vegetables and green tea (most of the time). Of course your advice of moderation is certainly prudent....bicker on....

Russ Jackson
Re:2 liter prices!!! 2009/10/26 10:49:26
Twinwillow

You're slowly killing yourself. Do you smoke, too?

LMAO are you really trying to preach to Roadfooders. The people here don't eat to live they live to eat. Please post a picture of yourself so we might give advice. And yes you did mean to rant and preach so cut the BS. I almost coughed up my rice cake and soy milk when I read your post...Russ
Jim2903
Cheeseburger
Re:2 liter prices!!! 2009/10/26 11:13:33
sk bob

I prefer to invest more of my daily calories in my food rather than my beverage. My drink just needs to be cold, wet and refreshing, but that pizza is where most of my meal's "equity" is.
Scorereader
Sirloin
Re:2 liter prices!!! 2009/10/26 14:19:47
Jennifer_4

geez where do you guys live that its that much???? I NEVER pay more than 1.25 for 2 litres...and that's pushing the high end...  the ones at the store yesterday were running between 88 cents and 1.25

Our locations are posted under our names.

BTW - this week's special at Vons (which is Safeway) - 2 liter coke. 2 for $3. So apparently, Prices in Fresno are in accord with the rest of us guys.

In DC - Safeway is running an 88 cent special on Pepsi and Canada Dry products. I don't drink Pepsi, nor do I shop at Safeway - so that won't help me.

sk bob
Re:2 liter prices!!! 2009/10/31 14:02:27
down here Food lion has a special on Pepsi products $.99 for 2 liters
Walgreens has 4 -12 packs for $10.00 on Coke products
kirstine
Cheeseburger
Re:2 liter prices!!! 2009/10/31 16:32:01
I was in a supermarket on Thursday and they were charging $2.19 (CAD) for a bottle of Coke! :S