Toasted? You Want That Toasted?

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17815
  • Reward points : 0
Toasted? You Want That Toasted? - Thu, 10/22/09 7:36 PM
Are you willing to pay extra  to have your bagel toasted?

"Customers of Lenny's Bagels in (New York's) Rockefeller Center are coughing up 25 cents to have their favorite morning munchie toasted."

http://tinyurl.com/ygkchuo

kirstine
  • Total Posts : 264
Re:Toasted? You Want That Toasted? - Thu, 10/22/09 8:02 PM
That's madness! 

sk bob
  • Total Posts : 1801
Re:Toasted? You Want That Toasted? - Thu, 10/22/09 8:27 PM
there was a bagel place  in the center of West Hartford,CT.that didn't even have a toaster.
I left.
that was about 5 years ago.

Michael Hoffman
Re:Toasted? You Want That Toasted? - Thu, 10/22/09 9:05 PM
sk bob

there was a bagel place  in the center of West Hartford,CT.that didn't even have a toaster.
I left.
that was about 5 years ago.

In New Haven I don't recall anyone actually toasting bagels. They put them on the flat grill or in the oven.

bwave
  • Total Posts : 231
Re:Toasted? You Want That Toasted? - Thu, 10/22/09 9:23 PM
Is this really new?   We don't have many bagel places here, but I'm pretty sure Panera Bread charges extra for toasting, and charges different prices for condiments, one price for butter, one for jam, one for cream cheese.    It does take extra time to toast and tie up the line, so why not?   

Only other place around here is Wawa, and I believe the prepared bagel costs more than buying bagel out of case.  They don't charge extra for butter or cream cheese.

billyboy
  • Total Posts : 2363
Re:Toasted? You Want That Toasted? - Thu, 10/22/09 9:53 PM
If I ever found myself in this situation, I'd have the cops arrest me for committing two crimes:

1.)  Ordering a bagel in NYC and asking for it toasted.

2.)  Ordering a bagel in NYC from Lenny's in the first place.

Lenny's does alright for sandwiches and there are about 12 locations in Manhattan.  They do a brisk business with the 9 to 5 crowd but they are in no way a "bagel shop" and in a city with lots of "legit" bagel shops, it almost borders on criminal to buy one from Lenny's.    
<message edited by billyboy on Thu, 10/22/09 10:00 PM>

MiamiDon
  • Total Posts : 4306
Re:Toasted? You Want That Toasted? - Fri, 10/23/09 7:48 AM
billyboy

If I ever found myself in this situation, I'd have the cops arrest me for committing two crimes:

1.)  Ordering a bagel in NYC and asking for it toasted.

2.)  Ordering a bagel in NYC from Lenny's in the first place.

Lenny's does alright for sandwiches and there are about 12 locations in Manhattan.  They do a brisk business with the 9 to 5 crowd but they are in no way a "bagel shop" and in a city with lots of "legit" bagel shops, it almost borders on criminal to buy one from Lenny's.    

LOL, I was scratching my head, and trying to remember a toasted bagel, in The City.

What's a "Lenny's"?

Pigiron
  • Total Posts : 1384
Re:Toasted? You Want That Toasted? - Fri, 10/23/09 8:07 AM
Lenny's is a sandwich chain in Manhattan that does a very brisk business.  The are springing up in every neighborhood.  They are not a bagel shop and do not claim to be a bagel shop. Sandwiches are their thing. Oh yeah, it's not called "Lenny's Bagels" either. Whoever wrote that article would know that if they did one second of fact-checking.       

Charging for toasting is hardly news, and it's nothing new.  Lots of places charge a minimal amount, in my opinion, to discourage you from slowing down the morning line.  Ess-A-Bagel on 1st Ave doesn't have a toaster at all.  "We don't toast" is their standard comeback (although their much bigger 50th street location does toast). 
<message edited by Pigiron on Fri, 10/23/09 8:11 AM>

EatingTheRoad
  • Total Posts : 1205
Re:Toasted? You Want That Toasted? - Fri, 10/23/09 8:43 AM
Yeah but who doesn't want their bagel toasted?

I know that in certain states restaurants have to charge tax on cooked (toasted) items and not so on uncooked. For instance...a $5 footlong at Subway in California is $5.46 if you get it toasted as opposed to exactly $5 if not.     

billyboy
  • Total Posts : 2363
Re:Toasted? You Want That Toasted? - Fri, 10/23/09 9:48 AM
@Pigiron, there is a Lenny's Bagels in NYC on the Upper West Side (Broadway & 98th) that I don't think has any connection to the sandwich shop.  The writer may have gotten them mixed up.

@ETR, I have a feeling that toasting a bagel in NYC is sacrilege for a lot of NYers.  They aren't meant to be eaten that way.  In a true NYC bagel shop, there are few things better than a fresh, warm, chewy, crusty bagel on a Saturday or Sunday morning!  I can understand why people want bagels toasted though.  I grew up in Central NY and my bagel experience was limited at first to the Lenders brand in the freezer case, then the Thomas' brand on the shelves.  Eventually, the in-store bakeries made bagels and a few bagels shops like Brueggers popped up.  I would implore anyone who visits NYC and about to eat a NYC bagel to try their first one untoasted to taste it as it was meant to be eaten.  If after that first time, you still want it toasted, go for it!  (Just don't ask 'em to do it for ya at Murray's)

Pigiron
  • Total Posts : 1384
Re:Toasted? You Want That Toasted? - Fri, 10/23/09 11:06 AM
billyboy

@Pigiron, there is a Lenny's Bagels in NYC on the Upper West Side (Broadway & 98th) that I don't think has any connection to the sandwich shop.  The writer may have gotten them mixed up.

Billy: I know Lenny's Bagels very well.  My point was that the dolt who wrote the article incorrectly associated the bagel shop with the local news story about the toasting at Lenny's (the sandwich shop).  That's just lazy and unprofessional. 

GNeedles59
  • Total Posts : 594
Re:Toasted? You Want That Toasted? - Fri, 10/23/09 11:30 AM
There is no reason to toast a good bagel. period.

PaulBPool
  • Total Posts : 278
Re:Toasted? You Want That Toasted? - Fri, 10/23/09 1:52 PM
Agreed. NY'ers don't get them toasted; maybe toast a frozen one so you don't break a tooth, but a true NY bagel, they're perfect when they're fresh, and hot right out of the oven.

EatingTheRoad
Re:Toasted? You Want That Toasted? - Mon, 11/23/09 2:01 PM

This does qualify as breaking news: venerable smoked fish shop Russ and Daughters, long adherents to a "We Don't Toast" policy, have now gotten a toaster to toast your bagels. Good find from The Feed.

http://newyork.seriouseat...tan-smoked-salmon.html

mar52
  • Total Posts : 7597
Re:Toasted? You Want That Toasted? - Mon, 11/23/09 2:36 PM
I would not pay to have a bagel toasted, period!  That's rediculous. Why not charge 25¢ just to walk through the door?

A good fresh bagel hardly even needs cream cheese.

If I ever toast a bagel it's butter that I then use.

Outrageous!

< kind of like Canter's in Los Angeles that charges if you want chicken in your chicken soup >

Michael Hoffman
Re:Toasted? You Want That Toasted? - Mon, 11/23/09 3:42 PM
mar52

< kind of like Canter's in Los Angeles that charges if you want chicken in your chicken soup >

You're kidding. Right?

mar52
Re:Toasted? You Want That Toasted? - Tue, 11/24/09 12:11 AM
No kidding.

Carrots are also an added charge.

Matzo balls only in mine please.

I refuse to pay for the "Add-Ons".

Michael Hoffman
Re:Toasted? You Want That Toasted? - Tue, 11/24/09 12:30 AM
Unbelieveable.

mar52
Re:Toasted? You Want That Toasted? - Tue, 11/24/09 2:20 AM

EatingTheRoad
Re:Toasted? You Want That Toasted? - Tue, 11/24/09 7:56 AM
I hate that..that's one of my biggest pet peeves, being nickel and dimed. I'd prefer to pay more upfront just to know that I'm not continually going to have to add more. I'm the same way with bills, etc. I'd prefer to have an all-inclusive unlimited cell phone plan rather then getting charged for each text, call or whatever.

I don't like when restaurants are stingy. I can understand covering costs but when they charge for chicken or carrots in your chicken noodle soup?!? Come one.

There was a news piece the other day about Burger King not so much "Have It Your Way?" where they charged for most everything additional:
http://abclocal.go.com/wa...ur_side&id=7130726

NYPIzzaNut
  • Total Posts : 3127
Re:Toasted? You Want That Toasted? - Tue, 11/24/09 8:44 AM
PaulBPool

Agreed. NY'ers don't get them toasted; maybe toast a frozen one so you don't break a tooth, but a true NY bagel, they're perfect when they're fresh, and hot right out of the oven.

If you heat a frozen bagel up for 15 minutes at 235 degrees in your toaster oven it tastes like it came out of the baking oven - assuming it has been in the freezer for a relatively short interval.

We live 60 miles from what I consider the only decent NY style Kosher bagel store and factory in greater Cincinnati (Marx Bagels) and we generally buy a dozen or two at a time when in town and freeze most of them and use them over the next couple of weeks.

cavandre
  • Total Posts : 1597
Re:Toasted? You Want That Toasted? - Tue, 11/24/09 9:31 AM
If anyone lives in a "bagel-poor" area (as we now do), I suggest you see if anyone is carrying Ray's NY Bagels in your neighborhood. You buy them frozen & have to bake them in the oven for 6-7 minutes. Lived in the NYC area most of my life & while I've had better, I've also had a lot worse.