The U.S deli capital?

Filet Mignon
2009/10/25 14:08:22

L.A., of course.
But if Sax found the nadir of the Reuben, he also found its zenith. And -- perhaps surprisingly -- he didn't find it in New York, the birthplace of the Jewish deli; he found it here in Los Angeles.

"It's a very difficult business to be in," Sax says, "but the [delis] that are most inspiring, the ones that people cling to, the ones that people enshrine for years and years are the traditional Jewish delis. And Los Angeles just happens to have more of them than any city I've been to."

To die-hard deli aficionados and sandwich fans, this assertion is heresy. It certainly wasn't what Sax, a Toronto native who now lives in Brooklyn, expected to discover. But in "Save the Deli," a book that traces the rise and fall of Jewish delicatessens from the shtetls of Eastern Europe to the suburbs of middle America, he makes that very claim.

Read about it here.
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
Re:The U.S deli capital? 2009/11/04 21:33:08
Great article!
Finally got to "MEAT up" with David Sax last night in philly...
Dog Boss
Cheeseburger
Re:The U.S deli capital? 2009/11/13 09:42:38
at one time, i would've said JERSEY was the KING of deli, and had CALIFORINA  in the lead for Taco stands, deli in JERSEY anymore are starting to look like our bakeries, slowly disapearing.............................

let me add, that pork/butcher shops are almost gone too............................
post edited by Dog Boss - 2009/11/13 09:43:46
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
Re:The U.S deli capital? 2009/11/13 09:47:53
Jewish pork shops? oy vey!
joemcvoy
Junior Burger
Re:The U.S deli capital? 2010/01/11 00:46:15
How about some hummus?