The very best ice cream ever!!!!

Cheeseburger
2009/10/25 14:44:29
The very best ice cream I've ever had was at the church festival my grandparents' church had every September.  Their church was a small Lutheran church in rural West Virgina.  Every year the church had a festival to raise money for missions.  I was born in 1947 & I remember going to the festivals up into the late 1950's.

There was a large free standing ice cream freezer in the church basement that probably held 15-20 gallons of a custard made of whole milk & cream ,eggs(from my grandmothers's chickens).   My grandparents had a dairy farm with Jerseys & other farmers in the community either had Holsteins or Jerseys  & all the milk & cream came directly from the cows on the day the ice cream was made.  Vanilla was the only flavoring, but my goodness was the ice cream good!!!  The ladies in the church also made beef vegetable soup in large cast iron soup pots cooked over an open fire(home grown beef & vegetables straight from the garden or freshly canned or frozen veggies). Various cakes & pies were available by the slice & my Uncle Ray would also auction off whole cakes & pies to take home.

Sawhorses & boards make up the tables.  Big galvinized tubs held bottles of Coca Cola,RC Cola, Neihi grape & orange, & rootbeer.  Strings of lights lit the yard around the church.

I will never forget how good that ice cream tasted.  It is also so sad that I can never again taste that ice cream, but how blessed I am to have those memories.  I still make beef vegetable soup using my grandmother's recipe.  In fact, I will be making a large pot of soup next month for my husband, sons, son-in-law, & grandsons to eat when they are deer hunting.

I am so sad that I will never again taste that ice cream, but I use my grandmother's recipe for beef vegetable soup
EatingTheRoad
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:The very best ice cream ever!!!! 2009/10/25 15:04:55
And here I thought I would be able to go get me some of the very best ice cream. I take solace in knowing that you suffer too

Great story, I love memories like this. I personally remember riding my bike down to the local ice cream parlor and getting my favorite at the time, bubblegum (can't stand it now) and rainbow sherbet.