Traditional New Year's Day "good luck" food

Double Chili Cheeseburger
2003/12/31 09:36:12
Do any of you have any special foods that you eat on New Year's Day to "bring good-luck"? I am going to serve roast pork and sauerkraut, hopping john, corn bread, and spinach in order to cover everything! Does anyone serve other "good luck" foods on Jan 1?
RibDog
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Traditional New Year's Day "good luck" food 2003/12/31 09:47:02
quote:
Originally posted by chezkatie

Do any of you have any special foods that you eat on New Year's Day to "bring good-luck"? I am going to serve roast pork and sauerkraut, hopping john, corn bread, and spinach in order to cover everything! Does anyone serve other "good luck" foods on Jan 1?

Hey Chez.

That sounds pretty close to my own menu down here in FL. Expecially the pork and sauerkraut.

I would not change a thing on your menu.

Happy new year.

John
Jellybeans
Cheeseburger
RE: Traditional New Year's Day "good luck" food 2003/12/31 09:50:19
For Chinese New Year, we Chinese have so many different types of "Good Luck" food that's it is UNBELIEVABLE. Almost any CNY eve family reunion dinner includes the following:

Chicken (poached whole, chopped into slightly-larger-than bite-sized pieces and served on the bone; or roasted)
Duck (roasted or braised)
Any number of pork dishes
Ho See Fatt Choy--dried oysters, fine black hair-like plant, sea cucumbers, fatty pork etc braised until tender and the sauce rich and creamy with fat. The name itself is a play on words meaning 'Lots of luck and prosperity)
Fish--usually steamed and flavoured with any number of classical Chinese sauces including plain steamed (soy sauce, oil and fried minced garlic) or ginger
Prawns (shrimp), crabs done in any number of ways

Then there's more--usually at least 8 dishes served with noodles for longevity and rice.

During the 15th and last day of the CNY, one charming tradition practised by Hokkien women is to throw satsumas/clementines/mandarin oranges into a river and watch them float downstream. It is believed that the man who picks up your orange is destined to be your husband. You can imagine the ruckus young men got into rushing after the oranges thrown by the prettiest girl in the group!
Spudnut
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Traditional New Year's Day "good luck" food 2003/12/31 11:19:02
quote:

What's "hopping john?" I've heard of hopping TO the john on New Year's Day after a raucous New Year's Eve, but this sounds different....
RibDog
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Traditional New Year's Day "good luck" food 2003/12/31 11:38:57
quote:
Originally posted by Phil J.

quote:

What's "hopping john?" I've heard of hopping TO the john on New Year's Day after a raucous New Year's Eve, but this sounds different....

It is esentially a mixture of rice and black eyed peas with a few other assorted ingredients such as spices, onions and pork fat.

John
chezkatie
RE: Traditional New Year's Day "good luck" food 2003/12/31 11:41:03
quote:

quote:

Hopping John is blaced eyed peas cooked with ham hocks or ham cubes (and some spices) and served over rice. I believe it is of African origins.

Incidentally, I just asked our "au pair" what they served in Germany on New Year's day to bring good luck. She said "Carp cooked in beer"..........afraid that is NOT going to be on my menu!! She also says it is the custom in the area of Germany that she lives in to remove the scales from fish and carry them in one's wallet all year to ensure that you will always have money.
Grampy
RE: Traditional New Year's Day "good luck" food 2003/12/31 11:42:03
Sounds like Alka-Seltza will bring the best of luck.
Lone Star
RE: Traditional New Year's Day "good luck" food 2003/12/31 11:54:34
quote:

quote:

quote:

Hopping John is blaced eyed peas cooked with ham hocks or ham cubes (and some spices) and served over rice. I believe it is of African origins.

Incidentally, I just asked our "au pair" what they served in Germany on New Year's day to bring good luck. She said "Carp cooked in beer"..........afraid that is NOT going to be on my menu!! She also says it is the custom in the area of Germany that she lives in to remove the scales from fish and carry them in one's wallet all year to ensure that you will always have money.

But what about the smell!
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Traditional New Year's Day "good luck" food 2003/12/31 13:15:08
The Sundancer started the day going to Pigeon Forge for breakfast at the Apple Barn, going to the Five Oaks Outlet Mall to satisfy my Polo Fix, going to Walmart and buying the usual junk.

I am at a friends house and we are cooking Tennesse Collards seasoned with sugar cured ham, jalapenos, bell peppers, garlic and onions. Tennessee fried pork chops, Tennessee black eyed peas seasoned with sugar cured ham, onions and garlic, pigs in a blanket, sausage balls, and a little Canadian. Perhaps a little more Canadian.

Happy noooooooooooo yar or something like that.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
CheeseWit
RE: Traditional New Year's Day "good luck" food 2003/12/31 13:17:35
Happy New Year, Sundancer!
Grampy
RE: Traditional New Year's Day "good luck" food 2003/12/31 13:44:07
Although I do not recall good luck food for New Years when I lived in Argentina, the 29th of every month was Ñoqui Day. On that day, you would serve ñoqui -- or gnocchi, as we know it -- and put a peso (or whatever the current currency is) under your plate. This was supposed to bring prosperity for the coming month. As far as I can tell, however, it never did.
ocdreamr
RE: Traditional New Year's Day "good luck" food 2003/12/31 14:37:26
Chezkatie,

What about the pickled Herring?? Run on up to the Safeway, Giant or the new Mars, I'm sure you'll find some. My dad & some other relatives always had it for New Years. Won't touch it myself.

OCDreamr
M&M
Cheeseburger
RE: Traditional New Year's Day "good luck" food 2003/12/31 15:07:03
M and I will be having a traditionl New Year's gumbo. The following recipe is from Commander's Kitchen by Ti Adelaide Martin and Jamie Shannon (Broadway Books, 2000). Ti is a member of the Brennan family and Jamie, who passed away in 2001, headed up the Commander's Palace kitchen for a number of years. The traditon of gumbo z'herbs is that for each different green included a new friend will be made in the coming year. Some recipes call for leaving out meat and substituting sea food, oysters and/or shirmp for example.

Ingredients

1 bunch mustard greens
1 bunch collard greens
1 bunch turnip greens
1 bunch beet greens
1 bunch fresh spinach
1 bunch fresh parsley
3 bunches green onions, thinly sliced
¼ cup salt, for washing greens
4 quarts water
½ cup vegetable oil
½ cup all purpose flour
1 large onion, medium dice
2 green bell peppers, medium dice
1 head garlic, peeled & minced
½ teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon allspice
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
3 pounds ham hocks
kosher salt
1 tablespoon hot sauce or to taste

Directions

Thoroughly clean the greens by washing in salt water and several changes of fresh water. Coarsely chop.

Put greens in stockpot with water, bring to boil and then simmer for 1 hour. Drain, but save the cooking liquid and set aside.

Place oil in dry pot over high heat for about 3 minutes and bring to smoking point. Slowly add flour while whisking all the time. Continue to add and whisk until all flour added and then cook roux stirring all the time until dark brown.

Add the onion, bell peppers, and garlic to the roux and stir. Add the spices. Add the greens and cook for about 15 minutes. Add the cooking liquid that was reserved and the ham hocks. Bring to boil and then simmer for about 1 hour or until meat tender. Remover meat from pot, dice and return.

Spoon rice into bowl and pour gumbo over.
chezkatie
RE: Traditional New Year's Day "good luck" food 2003/12/31 17:27:36
quote:
Originally posted by ocdreamr

Chezkatie,

What about the pickled Herring?? Run on up to the Safeway, Giant or the new Mars, I'm sure you'll find some. My dad & some other relatives always had it for New Years. Won't touch it myself.

OCDreamr

oh my goodness............will have to get some pickled herring....it can take the place of the carp cooked in beer...........and I am sure that we will all like it much better!
ocdreamr
RE: Traditional New Year's Day "good luck" food 2003/12/31 20:41:35
Chezkatie,

I stopped at the Super Fresh at 29 & 40 after work tonight. I noticed the herring in the refrigerated section had definitely been hit but the shelves were not empty. I guess you got there before me..
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: Traditional New Year's Day "good luck" food 2003/12/31 23:30:00
In my family it was always sauerkraut and pork but SO being of Czech heritage wants this strange concoction: duck, sauerkraut and dumplings. Whatever. I know we'll have a great New Year.
ocdreamr
RE: Traditional New Year's Day "good luck" food 2004/01/01 16:30:14
I can understand the duck & saurkraut. Around here we serve saurkraut with turkey. You'll find it on many Baltimore tables at Thanksgiving.
JimInKy
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Traditional New Year's Day "good luck" food 2004/01/02 01:21:47
I just picked up a friend home from a holiday on St. Padre Island, Texas. Lisa said she consumed black eyed peas for good luck on New Year's Day. She ate the peas in a local dish called "Texas caviar". Cilantro, tomatoes, avocado and other things are added to the peas in a dish that makes black eyed peas more palatable.
nanster
Junior Burger
RE: Traditional New Year's Day "good luck" food 2004/01/02 12:39:04
The traditional Korean new year's dish is tukkook. It's a beefy soup with rice cakes, shredded beef, scallions, sliced omelette, and roasted seaweed sprinkles. Meal in a bowl [|)]
Alexander
Cheeseburger
RE: Traditional New Year's Day "good luck" food 2004/03/12 09:26:04
quote:

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<div style="border: 1px #999999 solid; background-color: #DCDCDC; padding: 4px;">Originally posted by Phil J.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<div style="border: 1px #999999 solid; background-color: #DCDCDC; padding: 4px;">Originally posted by chezkatie

Not to start a flamewar, but here in SC, particularly in the lowcountry, Hopping John is not made with Black-eyed Peas, but rather with Cowpeas, of which the most common variety is Crowder (others are Whippoorwill and Clay). These are a red pea which holds its texture under long cooking, way after black-eyed peas have turned to mush.
The other ingredients are onion, rice, and bacon or ham. The dish is simply a pilau (or pilaf, if you prefer). There is a similar dish made with grits instead of rice and called "Limping Susan."

At home we always ate cowpeas, while feeding the black-eyed peas to the hogs.

Art Deco
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Traditional New Year's Day "good luck" food 2004/03/12 10:16:35
Whereas we ate purple-hull and princess peas, and fed the crowder peas to the hogs...
Alexander
Cheeseburger
RE: Traditional New Year's Day "good luck" food 2004/03/12 11:15:13
quote:
Originally posted by pogophiles

Whereas we ate purple-hull and princess peas, and fed the crowder peas to the hogs...

I know purple-hull (classified as a small-pea type), but what is a princess pea? Is it the same as a Lady Pea (a Cream pea), or is it the Princess Anne variety? Obviously not a Crowder type, like Whippoorwill.
Art Deco
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Traditional New Year's Day "good luck" food 2004/03/12 12:12:13
What we called princess peas were a very small white pea, very similar to the Lady Pea... I think the Princess Anne's were much larger than these... Purple-hull has been our mainstay for years, but those cream pea varieties are very tasty too!
Fancifree
Junior Burger
RE: Traditional New Year's Day "good luck" food 2005/12/30 18:59:22
quote:

What we called princess peas were a very small white pea, very similar to the Lady Pea... I think the Princess Anne's were much larger than these... Purple-hull has been our mainstay for years, but those cream pea varieties are very tasty too!

I came across this older post while searching for a new Hopping John recipe. I had Purple Hull peas while staying with the in-laws in Houston. I loved them! Is there anywhere a Yankee girl in California could find them? Fresh I assume would be found in the spring at the Farmer's Market, but do they come canned? If so, what's a good brand?

Alos, talking about New Year's Day celebrations: My friend's mom Michi is from Japan, and came here after WWII. She used to invite my husband and I to her house to have a good-luck meal with her family. It was Corned Beef and Cabbage, with a side of salad and steamed rice!

FF
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Traditional New Year's Day "good luck" food 2005/12/30 19:10:20
quote:
Originally posted by Fancifree

quote:

I came across this older post while searching for a new Hopping John recipe. I had Purple Hull peas while staying with the in-laws in Houston. I loved them! Is there anywhere a Yankee girl in California could find them? Fresh I assume would be found in the spring at the Farmer's Market, but do they come canned? If so, what's a good brand?

Alos, talking about New Year's Day celebrations: My friend's mom Michi is from Japan, and came here after WWII. She used to invite my husband and I to her house to have a good-luck meal with her family. It was Corned Beef and Cabbage, with a side of salad and steamed rice!

FF

You can order canned purple hull peas here:

http://www.foodlocker.com/eastexfairpu.html
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: Traditional New Year's Day "good luck" food 2005/12/30 19:36:37
Black eyed peas & ham ...with some collard greens with spicy vinegar and cornbread... Thats what us southerners have...Even if I am living in Maine now, but headed south again VERY soon!
I have NO clue what they make up here.. Who knows, maybe baked beans...
Fancifree
Junior Burger
RE: Traditional New Year's Day "good luck" food 2005/12/30 23:39:53
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman
You can order canned purple hull peas here:

http://www.foodlocker.com/eastexfairpu.html

Michael, thanks for the link! I don't know if I'll go to all that trouble yet, I may just poke around in some of the smaller, more ethnic places here first.

FF
Art Deco
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Traditional New Year's Day "good luck" food 2005/12/31 00:22:17
quote:
Originally posted by Fancifree

Bush Brothers has a canned version of purple-hull peas which is not bad. Around here (Nashville) you can find them in pretty much any grocery...
BrooklynBill
Cheeseburger
RE: Traditional New Year's Day "good luck" food 2005/12/31 06:10:39
quote:

Herring with onions and sour cream served on a cracker is a must. Also lentil soup on New Year's Eve or New Year's Day.

If my wife sees all these other good things, we could celebrate well into 2006.

Happy New Year to all!
Bill
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Traditional New Year's Day "good luck" food 2005/12/31 08:21:16
Mamaw Smith always cooks blackeyed peas with ham hocks. I can never recall a New Years day without her cooking them.

We plant several types of greens in the garden in the fall and I will harvest some of them today to go along with the Tennessee fried cornbread that we will have tomorrow. We plant mustard, kale and collards. They really tolerate the cold weather very well.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Adjudicator
Sirloin
RE: Traditional New Year's Day "good luck" food 2005/12/31 09:33:57
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

Mamaw Smith always cooks blackeyed peas with ham hocks. I can never recall a New Years day without her cooking them.

We plant several types of greens in the garden in the fall and I will harvest some of them today to go along with the Tennessee fried cornbread that we will have tomorrow. We plant mustard, kale and collards. They really tolerate the cold weather very well.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

That's just about what spouse & I are planning for tomorrow; along with some grilled 1.5" smoked pork chops. All I need to do today is get some Martha White's & some buttermilk for the CB. Will probably do corn pone vs. traditional CB, though.

ken8038
RE: Traditional New Year's Day "good luck" food 2005/12/31 09:50:02
Hoppin John for New Year's is apparently not just a southern thing. My wife's family, which is mainly of Polish/Hungarian background, traditonally celebrates New Year's day with kielbasy and hoppin John. The keilbasy I can understand, but none of them seems to know how the Hoppin John got in there, but they've been doing it at least back to her grandparent's days 80+ years ago. There is no family connection to the south, her grandparents came to NY in the 1910's and stayed there. Thier version of Hoppin John is the black eyed pea version, by the way. --Ken
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: Traditional New Year's Day "good luck" food 2005/12/31 17:51:18
http://www.rockies.net/~spirit/charlene/hoppingjohn.html
BarbarainLH
Hamburger
RE: Traditional New Year's Day "good luck" food 2006/01/04 19:53:06
We eat black-eyed peas and collard greens on New Years Day for good luck and money!!!! We talked about legumes/beans in class today. I teach Foods 1, when I mentioned black eyed peas, one student said the singing group and I said no the food you eat!!!