French fry topping

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 60 of 72
St. Louis Browns fan
  • Total Posts : 129
  • Reward points : 0
French fry topping - Thu, 01/1/04 6:20 PM
Sprinkle some quality romano or parmesan cheese and a dash of garlic powder on your fries for some good eating.

JimInKy
  • Total Posts : 599
RE: French fry topping - Thu, 01/1/04 7:01 PM
In some seafood places along both sides of Chesapeake Bay, Old Bay seasoning is used on French fries. The result is pretty good and I enjoy them like this.

I like to salt my fries the moment they come out of the oil. For a different taste sensation, I sometimes pepper them when they're still wet from the hot oil. Fresh ground pepper, finely grated.

If I ever find myself in a hotbed of fries and gravy, I'll sure try an order.

Munchie
  • Total Posts : 14
RE: French fry topping - Thu, 01/1/04 11:09 PM
In the Midwest it's Chili and Cheese on Fries.
Also my daughters and their friends dip their fries in chocolate milk shake. I haven't tried it yet...but they know I will. They grew up with the suggestion to "just try it"...a good suggestion, I think, for all "roadies".

lleechef
  • Total Posts : 6230
RE: French fry topping - Fri, 01/2/04 3:52 AM
Best fries I ever ate: In Mons, Belgium, freshly cooked spuds, served up in a cone, with Sauce Americaine (kind of a spicy, red, tartar sauce ) ohhhhhhhhh soooooooooooooooo good.

CheeseWit
  • Total Posts : 1393
RE: French fry topping - Fri, 01/2/04 8:26 AM
Cheesefries are big in the Philly area. It's an offshoot of cheesesteaks. The same cheesewhiz that is used on some cheesesteaks is poured over fries.
I like cheesefries with old bay seasoning which is known as spicy cheesefries here. In local diners, gravy is a popular topping for fries.

wanderingjew
  • Total Posts : 7385
RE: French fry topping - Fri, 01/2/04 8:55 AM
Here in Rhode Island, Malt Vinegar is the condimemnt of choice. Of couse when I was living in Pittsburgh, french fries were added to Salads and were also put inside sandwiches. While I was living in Seattle, fries were dipped in tartar sauce.

booboobirdie
  • Total Posts : 143
RE: French fry topping - Fri, 01/2/04 9:00 AM
There's a great little pub here in CT that lists "Soggy Fries" on the menu....shoestrings SOAKED in a rich brown gravy and then covered with melted cheddar. They should accompany that dish with a coupon for an angioplasty.
One of my personal favorites for my fries is a mixture of ketchup and yellow mustard. I get weird looks for that. (Though I get even weirder looks when I ask for sauerkraut on my cheeseburgers!)

olphart
  • Total Posts : 289
RE: French fry topping - Fri, 01/2/04 9:04 AM
When I eat seafood, I like Cajun fries in tartar sauce.

howard8
  • Total Posts : 355
RE: French fry topping - Fri, 01/2/04 3:23 PM
I love fries with gravy. However, when I eat out or prepare myself, shrimp scampi, I make a lot of sauce;i.e. butter, olive oil and garlic infused. Dipping fries into this is truly heaven.

lleechef
RE: French fry topping - Fri, 01/2/04 4:32 PM
quote:
Originally posted by wanderingjew

Of couse when I was living in Pittsburgh, french fries were added to Salads and were also put inside sandwiches.

Oh yes! Steak Salad! Fries and the sliced steak on top of the salad! Those are good. Fries on the sandwich: Primanti's in the strip district? Haven't had that stuff in ages!

Edwaste
  • Total Posts : 168
RE: French fry topping - Fri, 01/2/04 6:23 PM
quote:
Originally posted by booboobirdie

There's a great little pub here in CT that lists "Soggy Fries" on the menu....shoestrings SOAKED in a rich brown gravy and then covered with melted cheddar. They should accompany that dish with a coupon for an angioplasty.

Some places call fries with cheese and gravy "Disco Fries".
In northern New Hampshire and Canada they are called "Poutine"

scbuzz
  • Total Posts : 844
RE: French fry topping - Fri, 01/2/04 11:18 PM
I love fries with a healty portion of fresh made pimento cheese dolluped over them and some dices Jalapeno peppers sprinkled over that !!

Leania_1stone
  • Total Posts : 208
RE: French fry topping - Sat, 01/3/04 2:18 AM
I like to sprinkle my fries with a lil bit of jack cheese and let it melt a bit and then dip them in ranch dressing lol sorry I love the way it tastes :)

lleechef
RE: French fry topping - Sat, 01/3/04 3:58 AM
Dunking in chipotle mayo is decadent too.........wish I had some now.

Craig328
  • Total Posts : 89
RE: French fry topping - Sat, 01/3/04 9:22 AM
My favorite dry BBQ seasoning and dark malt vinegar.

mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15062
RE: French fry topping - Sat, 01/3/04 12:22 PM
Most all of the above sound good to me...but serve them "dry" and salted then put the "goo" in a cup on the side and let me play with them while dipping. The Sheep dip at Moonlite..A vinegar based dipping sauce for Mutton works great with hot frys also. For you guys who like the Malt Vinegar, this sauce would be outstanding.
BTW, ditto all of the above with some big thick sliced Sweet fried Onion Rings !

Sundancer7
  • Total Posts : 13388
RE: French fry topping - Sat, 01/3/04 2:40 PM
I first sampled poutine in Nova Scotia, then PEI and then again in New Brunswick. I am not sure I had ever thought of the idea but it was good.

The fries I got in Quebec were somehow different than the US ones. They reminded of of the frites I got in Europe. It is either a different potato or a different oil. In my opinion they werre far tastier.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

stridge
  • Total Posts : 63
RE: French fry topping - Sat, 01/3/04 2:46 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Munchie

In the Midwest it's Chili and Cheese on Fries.
Also my daughters and their friends dip their fries in chocolate milk shake. I haven't tried it yet...but they know I will. They grew up with the suggestion to "just try it"...a good suggestion, I think, for all "roadies".

We have a small hot dog chain that has Fri Delight; Fri,Chili,Sour cream,Onions, & Shredded cheese. Em Boy!

lleechef
RE: French fry topping - Sun, 01/4/04 1:34 AM
quote:
Originally posted by clothier

quote:
Originally posted by lleechef

quote:
Originally posted by wanderingjew

Of couse when I was living in Pittsburgh, french fries were added to Salads and were also put inside sandwiches.

Oh yes! Steak Salad! Fries and the sliced steak on top of the salad! Those are good. Fries on the sandwich: Primanti's in the strip district? Haven't had that stuff in ages!

I love steak salad. We put it on the menu on this place I worked at in Ohio, and the only people who ever ordered it were from Pittsburgh.

Only folks from Pittsburgh and France would put potatoes on a salad and think it was yummy. Salad nicoise, after all, does have potatoes on it and I adore it. In the summer I make a nice composed salad of grilled shrimp (or whatever, chicken, etc.), grilled par-boiled potato slices, grilled tomatoes, asparagus, peppers and whatever else I can throw on. Put all that on a nice fresh bowl of greens picked from the garden, generously sprinkle with gorgonzola, blue, or whatever cheese you like, top with champagne vinaigrette. French fries could be equally substituted on the above salad.......but since the grill is already fired up.........

chicagostyledog
  • Total Posts : 3218
RE: French fry topping - Wed, 01/7/04 9:23 AM
I've always eaten fries with ketchup, but my favorite fries were covered with mayo and eaten on the streets of Amsterdam served in a cone, purchased from a street vendor. Poochies in Skokie has excellent fries topped with Merkt's cheddar cheese.

Maynerd
  • Total Posts : 256
RE: French fry topping - Wed, 01/7/04 10:11 AM
quote:
Originally posted by booboobirdie

One of my personal favorites for my fries is a mixture of ketchup and yellow mustard. I get weird looks for that. (Though I get even weirder looks when I ask for sauerkraut on my cheeseburgers!)

There used to be a hamburger place in Austin by the name of 2-J's . Their basic burger was meat and bun, pickle with a dollop of this orange sauce that was a mixture of ketchup and mustard. They've been out of business for about 15 years, but I can still taste that mixture! Never could duplicate it for some reason...
Thanks for the memory, now back to fries...

olphart
  • Total Posts : 289
RE: French fry topping - Wed, 01/7/04 10:15 AM
Was it better than Jack's Secret Sauce, Maynerd???

Dipstick
  • Total Posts : 337
RE: French fry topping - Wed, 01/7/04 10:15 AM
I too love fries with mayo, but my absolute favorite fry dips are au jus or alfredo sauce.
MMMMMMM!!!!

Maynerd
  • Total Posts : 256
RE: French fry topping - Wed, 01/7/04 10:27 AM
quote:
Originally posted by olphart

Was it better than Jack's Secret Sauce, Maynerd???

Ohhh Yeah!
It had a bit of tang to it as I recall. The mustard must of had an extra shot of vinagar.
My mom would try to duplicate it when I was a kid, but she never got the combination right, bless her heart.

Grampy
  • Total Posts : 1559
RE: French fry topping - Wed, 01/7/04 10:35 AM
Not being much of a ketchup fan, if I put anything on fries, it is just salt and pepper and sometimes a hearty splash of Tabasco. If there is a good homemade or European-style mayo, I'll dip the fries in that (a habit formed in the Netherlands). That chipotle mayo sounds quite tempting, though.

tiki
  • Total Posts : 4135
RE: French fry topping - Wed, 01/7/04 10:50 AM
Ketchup spiced with Tabasco---which i see that i now can buy ready made,great on fries and burgers! Also like fries with a creamy horseradish sauce or salt and lime juice!

redtressed
  • Total Posts : 1017
RE: French fry topping - Wed, 01/7/04 11:36 AM
Usually I prefer mine naked and wanting......salt that is, but I have been known to dash on some vinegar, or dip them in a blue cheese and ranch style dip. I also hoard the Southwestern dips from Arbys, for my frnech fry pleasure. Old bay is a treat once in awhile too. What I do NOT like are those pre-seasoned fries like Curly fries, LongBranch , Fajita fries.......blech and blechier

lleechef
RE: French fry topping - Wed, 01/7/04 11:40 AM
When eating fish 'n chips I always make extra tartar to dunk the fries in too!

Grampy
  • Total Posts : 1559
RE: French fry topping - Wed, 01/7/04 11:42 AM
quote:
Originally posted by redtressed

Usually I prefer mine naked and wanting......salt that is, but I have been known to dash on some vinegar, or dip them in a blue cheese and ranch style dip. I also hoard the Southwestern dips from Arbys, for my frnech fry pleasure. Old bay is a treat once in awhile too. What I do NOT like are those pre-seasoned fries like Curly fries, LongBranch , Fajita fries.......blech and blechier

What is it with those Curly fries? And where are the Moe and Larry varieties?

Sushi_Girl
  • Total Posts : 228
RE: French fry topping - Tue, 01/13/04 9:16 AM
I like to sop up all the juice from my homemade buffalo wings with fries...and the blue cheese goes well with that combination. If i dont have the wings, i use good old fashioned ketchup. sometimes a nice ranch. Kens usually.

hatteras04
  • Total Posts : 1070
RE: French fry topping - Tue, 01/13/04 9:48 AM
I love gravy fries but I have yet to find a place in central Ohio that has them. I discovered them in Erie, PA on an after bar stop at a place (the name of which escapes me) for a meatball omlette and the fries. So far, I have only found them there and at a place in North Carolina. My roommate was from Erie (not far from Pittsburgh) so he introduced me to fries on sandwiches, salads, anything really. As someone mentioned earlier, around the midwest, mostly what you can find is chili cheese fries. I particularly liked the ones at Camp Washington in Cincinnati.

iceberg
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: French fry topping - Wed, 01/14/04 10:50 AM
When eating crabs here near the chesapeake bay we make a dip from crab spice, salt, and vinegar (these are usually on the table with small plastic dipping cups to mix it to your taste)and this is great for dipping fries too! My wife makes a pretty mean Salisbury steak W/brown gravy, fries on the side covered with the gravy is killer!

Rhodes
  • Total Posts : 281
RE: French fry topping - Wed, 01/14/04 11:20 AM
My favorite was a recipe for `augmented' ketchup I got in Bon Appetit - not sure of the proportions but it was ketchup blended with roasted ground cumin seed, lime juice, chipotles in adobo, and a little tequila. Killer!

IansMom
  • Total Posts : 394
RE: French fry topping - Wed, 01/14/04 11:51 AM
In So. Cal there used to be a place called Knowlwoods, they had a dish called Irish Nachos, Fries covered in cheese, bacon bits and green onions that you dipped in ranch.. awesome...

forurlungsonly
  • Total Posts : 92
RE: French fry topping - Thu, 02/12/04 8:54 AM
I stole this idea from Pomme Frites in NYC (Belgian-style twice frieds served in paper cones), but it's really good. I mix mayonnaise with mustard and a little honey. The result? Honey-mustard mayo. Equally good on chicken (or un-chicken, as I've been eating lately.)

renfrew
  • Total Posts : 696
RE: French fry topping - Thu, 02/12/04 9:02 AM
love curry sauce on my fries and when i order fish and chips and their is a really good tartar sauce, i use that on my fries and eat the fish as is.

efuery
  • Total Posts : 630
RE: French fry topping - Thu, 02/12/04 9:28 AM
What i have on my fries depends on what I am eating

I like ranch dressing on my fries when I have Hot Wings

With Beef I just soak up the beef juices or gravy if it is available

At Mickey D's I'll get a side of barbeque or sweet and sour sauce for my fries. Of course, thay are goos unadorned as well.

Bottom line, I find myself using ketchup on my fries less and less these days.

Sundancer7
RE: French fry topping - Fri, 02/13/04 6:21 PM
This may seem a little far out but when I visit Captain D's, I dip my fries in their vinegar. In addition I dip them in the tartar sauce.

Just as a side, Captain D's has great fries.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Zythos
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: French fry topping - Fri, 02/13/04 8:37 PM
I second the use of Old Bay on fries. It is also excellent on popcorn.

But, I also like Garam Masala and sea salt. Garam Masala is an essential Northern Indian cuisine spice blend that often includes cumin, coriander, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, black pepper and Indian bay leaves among others.

Spudnut
  • Total Posts : 655
RE: French fry topping - Fri, 02/13/04 9:35 PM
In order: vinegar, blue cheese, tartar sauce.

spaniel
  • Total Posts : 99
RE: French fry topping - Tue, 02/17/04 7:39 PM
This possibly strays a bit from the usual connotation of "topping," but I used to get french fries with a vanilla milkshake and dip the fries into the shake. Surprisingly delicious. With a chocolate or strawberry shake, not so good.

spaniel
RE: French fry topping - Tue, 02/17/04 7:56 PM
quote:
Originally posted by spaniel

This possibly strays a bit from the usual connotation of "topping," but I used to get french fries with a vanilla milkshake and dip the fries into the shake. Surprisingly delicious. With a chocolate or strawberry shake, not so good.

Whoops, I missed the earlier post about fries + chocolate milkshake. I still think vanilla is the way to go.
But I definitely second the "dont' knock it till you've tried it" opinion.

This is not so different from the commercially successful pretzel and ice cream combos like pretzel ice cream cones and Ben & Jerry's Chubby Hubby.

Except that whereas pretzels + ice cream = salt + cream + sugar,
fries + milkshake/ice cream = salt + *grease* + cream + sugar - all the better!

TJ Jackson
  • Total Posts : 4483
RE: French fry topping - Wed, 02/18/04 8:47 AM
Got to admit, I really liked the cheese fries I had at Gold Coast Dogs on my recent trip to Chicago.

ahmicchick
  • Total Posts : 107
RE: French fry topping - Wed, 02/18/04 9:05 AM
MMMmmmm, fries fresh out of the hot oil! And I haven't had breakfast yet...

My fave is white vinegar and salt, but I'm Canadian.

My introduction to poutine was when I was seventeen, and went on an exchange trip to Sherbrooke, Quebec. My exchange partner described it as french fries with barbecue sauce and cheese curds. "This," I thought, "is going to be delicious!!" We went to the local Woolworth's cafeteria and Olaf bought some for us to try. I was disappointed, because it's not BBQ sauce, it's brown gravy. (I knew I shouldn't have trusted him because, earlier, he told me that he was making "creeps" for dinner! He meant crepes.)

Many Americans ask me about poutine. It's mostly a Quebecois thing, but you can get it outside the province. Last summer I discovered that some locations of Harvey's (a fast-food hamburger chain in Ontario) carry poutine.

Thank you all for so many good suggestions.

Tristan Indiana
  • Total Posts : 328
RE: French fry topping - Wed, 02/18/04 9:13 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

This may seem a little far out but when I visit Captain D's, I dip my fries in their vinegar. In addition I dip them in the tartar sauce.

Just as a side, Captain D's has great fries.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
And ice tea. Sometimes I stop at Captain D's just for a glass of sweet tea. As for fries toppings, I picked up the habit dripping them in mayo from ordering frites in Belgium at those street stands. Has anyone tried the wasobi mayo thats in the stores now?

Art Deco
  • Total Posts : 889
RE: French fry topping - Wed, 02/18/04 9:47 AM
quote:
Originally posted by spaniel

Back in the days when I still ate at Mickey D's, I used to get an order of fries and a butterscotch (or may have been caramel) sundae. I would dip the fries in the sweet gooey butterscotch topping. There was nothing quite like the combination of hot, salty and greasy fries with the cool, sweet topping... Not sure if I would still like it, but I did at the time!

wanderingjew
  • Total Posts : 7385
RE: French fry topping - Wed, 02/18/04 9:49 AM
quote:
Originally posted by ahmicchick

Many Americans ask me about poutine. It's mostly a Quebecois thing, but you can get it outside the province. Last summer I discovered that some locations of Harvey's (a fast-food hamburger chain in Ontario) carry poutine.

You can find poutine in Northern New England. Specifically Northern Vermont, New Hampshire and Inland Maine.

Sundancer7
RE: French fry topping - Wed, 02/18/04 9:52 AM
Poutine seems to be a staple in Nova Scotia, PEI and New Brunswick. It seemed that every restaurant I stopped at featured fries and gravy.

Sounded pretty good to me so I bought it, liked it and ordered some more.

It seemed to be a breakfast thing also.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

BPTHC
  • Total Posts : 15
RE: French fry topping - Wed, 02/18/04 10:35 AM
Here in CT ,Cheese Fries and gravy is becoming very popular.The only place to get them is at a diner, unless someone has another spot I don't know about.

spaniel
RE: French fry topping - Thu, 02/19/04 12:37 AM
quote:
pretzels + ice cream = salt + cream + sugar,
fries + milkshake/ice cream = salt + *grease* + cream + sugar - all the better!

quote:
Easy on the math, though, ok? That whole formula made my head hurt.

Thanks for the welcome, clothier. Sorry the formula made your head hurt (would that have been like an ice cream headache?)

I should have given the formula in its reduced form:
fries - pretzels = grease = yum

foodfight
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: French fry topping - Thu, 02/19/04 4:07 AM
Man the Best Fries that I have ever had was from Ollie's Trolley ....some kind of special spices
Anyone know what it is ???
[|)]

By the way some were talking about mayonaise on them. Mayo is goooood on pinto beans !

evilpez
  • Total Posts : 18
RE: French fry topping - Sat, 02/21/04 7:49 AM
You just can't beat the good old Sling Blade standard.

I like mustard on dem french fried potaters.. mmm hmm.

WingLover
  • Total Posts : 145
RE: French fry topping - Tue, 03/16/04 6:39 PM
I love french fries with vinegar ... there's nothing like it!! Especially when you are strolling down the boardwalk at the beach eating actual "boardwalk fries" with vinegar. Mmmmm. I also love cheese fries and dipping my fries in leftover wing sauce :)

~Jessica

Green_Chile
  • Total Posts : 115
RE: French fry topping - Tue, 03/16/04 8:36 PM
Chile cheese fries here in New Mexico. Red or Green Chile sauce. I of course prefer green :) Ketchup standard and tarter sauce if I'm having fish. I still can't get over this gravy fries thing, but won't knock it since I haven't tried it...yet.

Scarlett
  • Total Posts : 402
RE: French fry topping - Tue, 03/16/04 10:45 PM
Texas Pete (hot sauce) and salt.

Also while visiting friends in Utah we had lunch at a diner and the ff's were very good and served with a cup of "Fry Sauce" I was told it was a mixture of catchup, mustard and (Hellman's) mayonnaise.

Jennifer_4
  • Total Posts : 1508
RE: French fry topping - Wed, 03/17/04 5:14 AM
For Chili Cheese Fries nothing beats Tommy's.. My own personal fave fry topping is Frite Saus (I buy it from a German grocery online..it's amazing) or a combo of ranch and ketchup..separate,but together.

booboobirdie
  • Total Posts : 143
RE: French fry topping - Wed, 03/17/04 8:50 AM
quote:
Originally posted by BPTHC

Here in CT ,Cheese Fries and gravy is becoming very popular.The only place to get them is at a diner, unless someone has another spot I don't know about.

Callahan's (Irish Pub) 1027 South Main St., Cheshire, CT (203) 271- 1993.
They also offer an Irish Dinner (I forget exactly it's title on the menu), but it's a baked potato and a 6 pack of beer! Happy St. Patrick's Day everyone!!

qwerty79
  • Total Posts : 165
RE: French fry topping - Wed, 03/17/04 10:38 AM
I like to dip my fries in sweet and sour sauce. My brother has a strange habit that started when he was little, he dips his fries in orange soda.

jettababs
  • Total Posts : 222
RE: French fry topping - Wed, 03/17/04 12:13 PM
Mmmmm, poutine. It hasn't gotten to the Midwest yet, but I'm waiting...in the meantime, malt vinegar and salt, or curry sauce are good. Or chipotle mayo. Seems like hardly anyone uses just ketchup anymore. Frank's Hot Sauce is good, too.

GordonW
  • Total Posts : 924
RE: French fry topping - Wed, 03/17/04 12:43 PM
Arctic Circle, a nasty burger chain out of Salt Lake City has their (in)famous "fry sauce" -- a sweetish mix of tomato catsup and mayo. Still going strong there.

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 60 of 72