What Produces The Worst Hangover?

Double Chili Cheeseburger
2009/11/19 07:55:13
In my opinion the two worst are Blackberry Brandy and number #1 Amaretto. Two times I have drank Amaretto to excess and paid a dear price the following two day's. It is just about the only thing I will not drink anymore...Russ
cavandre
Re:What Produces The Worst Hangover? 2009/11/19 08:33:54
Any time I've over indulged on sweet drinks (e.g. Rum & Coke), I felt much worse the next day than if I'd consumed the same amount of whisky & water.
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
Re:What Produces The Worst Hangover? 2009/11/19 08:40:51
Whatever the stuff is that makes a Harvey Wallbanger. Galliano I believe it's called.

Tequila doesn't like me either.
brickie
Cheeseburger
Re:What Produces The Worst Hangover? 2009/11/19 08:49:16
Peppermint schnapps.
A HORRID experience!
Foodosaurus
Double Cheeseburger
Re:What Produces The Worst Hangover? 2009/11/19 09:01:08

Cheap vodka drinks.  Dubra or Poland Spring are about the worst.  Both sell for about $9.99 for a handle.  (1.75L)  Mix those with some $.99/Gallon ghetto juice, and you have a recipe for a fun night.... and a terrible morning.
Ahi Mpls.
Double Cheeseburger
Re:What Produces The Worst Hangover? 2009/11/19 09:04:10
  Brandy & Eggnog....couldn't tell where the hangover ended and Nog sickness took over...
mar52
Sirloin
Re:What Produces The Worst Hangover? 2009/11/19 12:04:59
Manischewitz Blackberry

It wasn't a pretty sight.
tiki
Filet Mignon
Re:What Produces The Worst Hangover? 2009/11/19 12:12:08
SUGAR!!!!! mixed in all that ALCOHOL!
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
Re:What Produces The Worst Hangover? 2009/11/19 12:17:01
Cheap anything.

sudie
Cheeseburger
Re:What Produces The Worst Hangover? 2009/11/19 12:32:18
wheregreggeats.com

Cheap anything.

Agree, but I'd especially cite cheap gin.
kman160
Cheeseburger
Re:What Produces The Worst Hangover? 2009/11/19 12:55:17
Richard's Wild Irish Rose!
cavandre
Re:What Produces The Worst Hangover? 2009/11/19 14:08:04
kman160

Richard's Wild Irish Rose!

That stuff tastes so bad that I could never drink enough to get a hangover.

EatingTheRoad
Re:What Produces The Worst Hangover? 2009/11/19 14:19:54
Is there a good hangover?
kirstine
Cheeseburger
Re:What Produces The Worst Hangover? 2009/11/19 15:02:27
Pernod.
Davydd
Sirloin
Re:What Produces The Worst Hangover? 2009/11/19 15:12:47
I remember it clearly. Aquavit New Years Eve 1977. A crazy Norwegian talked me into a down the hatch shooters match. I didn't black out but was in no condition to drive home. Next day I had the hangover that would never quit. I drink but that was the last time I mixed driving someplace and drinking no more than two drinks in an evening.
ScreamingChicken
Filet Mignon
Re:What Produces The Worst Hangover? 2009/11/19 15:28:27
Since there are so many variables it's tough to blame the alcohol alone for a hangover.  I once had a vicious one in college from only 7 beers...but I drank them in less than an hour immediately after 3 hours of nearly nonstop fullcourt basketball on a Friday night.  Putting that much beer into a dehydrated body in that short amount of time was just asking for trouble...

Brad
rebeltruce
Double Cheeseburger
Re:What Produces The Worst Hangover? 2009/11/19 19:07:05
Hard Cider....whether it's my own home brew or store bought....never fails.....but I can't resist, it tastes so good!!!

I've learned that a quart of water and two aspirins just before hitting the sack helps...not much though!
mland520
Cheeseburger
Re:What Produces The Worst Hangover? 2009/11/19 19:38:58
This goes back into the last century- but, if I remember correctly- #1.) sloe gin with no ice, and no "fizz", out of paper cups- yes, when I was in college.
#2.) when I was older and should have known better- vodka, 7Up, rocks- deadly when you haven't eaten in over 7 hours!
Lindseyup67
Cheeseburger
Re:What Produces The Worst Hangover? 2009/11/19 20:17:24
brickie

Peppermint schnapps.
A HORRID experience!

I am with you on that one brickie!! For months afterwards I had to use Closeup toothpaste, and would almost hurl at the smell of mint gum, especially Wrigleys!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL
ces1948
Re:What Produces The Worst Hangover? 2009/11/19 20:36:27
Southern Comfort was the worse one for me.
Cheeseburger
Re:What Produces The Worst Hangover? 2009/11/19 20:37:48
1} Prop Blast.
2} Vodka Martinis in any multiple over 5
3} Prop Blast
4} Cheap gin (or good gin, for that matter) in quantities over pints.
5} Prop Blast
6} Schnapps of any sort in quantities over half-pints.
7} Prop Blast

boyardee65
Re:What Produces The Worst Hangover? 2009/11/19 21:28:52
  Any wine!! Champagne, sweet liquors and sweet mixers. I try to mix most of my drinks with water so I don't get too dehydrated.

JMHO

David O.
boyardee65
Re:What Produces The Worst Hangover? 2009/11/19 21:30:56
 Mr. Jackson, I enjoy a whiskey amaretto sour from time to time but I can see how that would be really bad for a hangover especially when coming back up.

David O.
Re:What Produces The Worst Hangover? 2010/01/02 11:57:30
High altitude over imbibing, a la, anything you grt tanked on, in Denver!
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:What Produces The Worst Hangover? 2010/01/02 12:46:52
For me it was (and is no longer) a combination of New Year's Eve bubbly wine and the thought of having to spend the next day ( New Year's Day) listening to the whining,grating, nasty voice of my Mother in law during our annual 'watch the parade on TV 'celebration'. The latter experience would ALWAYS cause me to overindulgence in the former activity to try to be 'incoherent' during the Parade viewing punishment.

My final solution was to move somewhere far enough and cold enoung to keep the Evil Queen from visiting. Since that time my absorbing of the "Devil's Nectars" has been limited to quantities low enough to prevent the 'Hangover Syndrome', most of the time!
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
Re:What Produces The Worst Hangover? 2010/01/02 14:09:14
I haven't had a really bad hangover since I quit smoking  - "If the Whiskey don't kill you the cigarettes will"...

Cheers, John 
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:What Produces The Worst Hangover? 2010/01/02 14:25:24
At the Powder Horn bar In Charlotte Amalie one Saturday in 1969 someone thought it might be a really good idea to spend the afternoon drinking internationally. That meant at least one drink from every country and area represented by what was in stock.

To this day I insist it was the Aquavit that caused the problems. According to my wife, when the cab driver helped me out of the taxi he said there was no charge as I was going to be in enough trouble.

Now, that was a hangover!
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
Re:What Produces The Worst Hangover? 2010/01/02 17:14:33
Dearfolk,
   The worst hangover I ever had was from a night drinking Jagermeister almost nonstop. It makes me cringe just to think about it in retrospect!
   Another time, on a dare, I drank an entire bottle of Wild Russian Vanya, a cheap "wino-wine" that is apparently no longer made. I was sick for three days afterward.
   I'm now out of the habit of taking drinking dares, beloved.
      Liveratedly, Ort. Carlton in FRRRRRRIGID Athens, Georrrrrgia.
P. S. I also once had a hangover from a double shot of my baby's love, but that's a whole nother story.
gregys
Cheeseburger
Re:What Produces The Worst Hangover? 2010/01/25 13:41:28
It was on our news, that darker alcohols will give you a worse hangover
than clears.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:What Produces The Worst Hangover? 2010/01/25 14:16:01
Manhattan's & Thunderbird
the grillman
Double Cheeseburger
Re:What Produces The Worst Hangover? 2010/01/25 14:29:32
It's been since college days...but I recall that anything sweet was pretty bad....most cocktails can have lots of sugar.

Beer hangovers seemed to be easier than whiskey, at least back then.

Nowadays, since I rarely have more than a couple beers, or glasses of wine, at a time, hangovers just don't happen....maybe I'm getting old.

check that, I KNOW I'm getting old.
Russ Jackson
Re:What Produces The Worst Hangover? 2010/01/25 14:43:27
Here is an interesting blog I found searching around. Some of it hits close to home...Russ

http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/9m5b6/ask_reddit_what_is_the_worst_hangover_you_have/
mlooney56
Hamburger
Re:What Produces The Worst Hangover? 2010/01/25 14:51:03
The science of hangovers is rather complicated, but two things affect the severity of them the most.
The first are congeners, a chemical produced in fermentation. They are basically impurities in the product.  Red wine and darker alcohol contain more of them, and the more you drink, the worse the hangover.  That's why aged and filtered alcohol gives you less of a hangover.  The other hangover enhancer is sugar.  The more sugar the worse the hangover.  For example, cheap fortified wines, sugary alcohol and sugary mixed drinks.  For the less of a hangover, drink high quality alcohol, straight up.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
Re:What Produces The Worst Hangover? 2010/01/25 15:17:25
Not being an expert on many of the alcoholic beverages mentioned, I can only report my experiences over the years.

1. Sweet Booze- Sloe Gin for one. Then comes Flavored Schnapps, especially the Root Beer and Peppermint and Red Hot Cinnamon versions...The worst of them being served in a LONG SEQUENCE of "Shooters". The hangover intensity would double if you mixed the flavors of the Schnapps Shooters....doing  say  6 of the Root Beer, then 6 of the Cinnamon could really bring one on!

2. Heavy sweet wines- The worst one in my experience is/was Cold Duck ! Straight from the chilled bottle it has a 100% success record for producing terrible hangovers with me.
post edited by mayor al - 2010/01/25 15:24:12
kbaden
Junior Burger
Re:What Produces The Worst Hangover? 2010/01/25 17:45:00
Mixing drinks! Start out easy, drink a little more...LET"S DO A SHOT!!  It's all over .
UncleVic
Sirloin
Re:What Produces The Worst Hangover? 2010/01/25 17:51:41
Poorly filtered moonshine.
kbaden
Junior Burger
Re:What Produces The Worst Hangover? 2010/01/25 19:15:54
I have to ask, what's  Problast? Also, Thunderbird? Wild Irish Rose?  Do they still make those? I'm even older than I thought!