Primantis Pittsburgh

ggg911
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
Primantis Pittsburgh - Sat, 12/12/09 4:06 PM
We were somewhat disappointed.  There are many better places in the strip.  I wouldn't go back.  It is a tourist attraction.  Not really sure why but we had heard a lot about it.  Not really any different than a Panninis sandwich.  Pittsburgh a great city but they are challenged in what to do with all the street beggars (about every 50 ft.)

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17801
Re:Primantis Pittsburgh - Sat, 12/12/09 4:16 PM
ggg911

We were somewhat disappointed.  There are many better places in the strip.  I wouldn't go back.  It is a tourist attraction.  Not really sure why but we had heard a lot about it.  Not really any different than a Panninis sandwich.  Pittsburgh a great city but they are challenged in what to do with all the street beggars (about every 50 ft.)

While I hold no brief for sandwiches with fries on them, I am curious as to where this Panninis might be located.

wanderingjew
  • Total Posts : 7379
Re:Primantis Pittsburgh - Sat, 12/12/09 4:32 PM
They say I'm a mind reader, so I'm going to speculate and say you got the so called "#2 seller" (the cheesesteak)- am I correct?

buffetbuster
  • Total Posts : 9774
Re:Primantis Pittsburgh - Sat, 12/12/09 5:53 PM
Welcome to Roadfood ggg111!  I sure haven't had your experience with beggars in The Strip.  So where else did you eat?
<message edited by buffetbuster on Sat, 12/12/09 6:46 PM>

Kenny Joe
  • Total Posts : 193
Re:Primantis Pittsburgh - Sat, 12/12/09 10:45 PM
I am no fan of Primanti's. Maybe once a year I will go there on my own initiative, but usually I am taken there by someone else. However, I would not call it a "tourist attraction." Most of the folks I see eating in the Strip District location seem to be very local, except maybe when the Steelers are playing a home game.    
I shop in the Strip District just about every other week, and while I do not doubt you saw a panhandler every 50 feet, that  has not been my experience. I often spend an hour or two going and down Penn Avenue without any opportunity to give to the less fortunate among us.

BuddyRoadhouse
  • Total Posts : 4074
Re:Primantis Pittsburgh - Sun, 12/13/09 1:49 AM
Nothing wrong with Primanti's sandwiches, just nothing special either, especially when compared to some of Pittsburgh's other culinary delights.  I'd eat a burger from Tessaro's, or a Headwich from Fathead's Saloon seven days a week before I'd go back to Primanti's.

BTW, Michael, Panninis is a small town in Italy, in the north end of the Stromboli Province.

No, no, don't thank me.  I'm just trying to be helpful.

Buddy

Michael Hoffman
Re:Primantis Pittsburgh - Sun, 12/13/09 4:31 AM
BuddyRoadhouse

BTW, Michael, Panninis is a small town in Italy, in the north end of the Stromboli Province.

Buddy

You know, first I tried looking up restaurants in Northeast Ohio named Panninis, but found nothing. Then I looked it up on the Ohio map as the name of a town because the poster listed his location as Tallmadge, Ohio. I wasn't able to find it, obviously, as you have have pointed out that it's in Italy.

I appreciate the fact that you were being helpful.

wanderingjew
  • Total Posts : 7379
Re:Primantis Pittsburgh - Sun, 12/13/09 9:01 AM
Michael Hoffman

BuddyRoadhouse

Buddy

You know, first I tried looking up restaurants in Northeast Ohio named Panninis, but found nothing. Then I looked it up on the Ohio map as the name of a town because the poster listed his location as Tallmadge, Ohio. I wasn't able to find it, obviously, as you have have pointed out that it's in Italy.

I appreciate the fact that you were being helpful.

http://www.paninisgrill.com

It's a Primanti's rip-off mini chain  in the Cleveland area.  I actually went there when I was on Cat Duty last year in Cleveland.

Michael Hoffman
Re:Primantis Pittsburgh - Sun, 12/13/09 1:33 PM
Oh, for pete's sake!

EatingTheRoad
  • Total Posts : 1205
Re:Primantis Pittsburgh - Sun, 12/13/09 2:34 PM
Michael Hoffman

Oh, for pete's sake!

My thoughts exactly.

BuddyRoadhouse
  • Total Posts : 4074
Re:Primantis Pittsburgh - Sun, 12/13/09 9:03 PM
The Stromboli Province?  You did know I was kidding, right?  I figured your question was one of your smart aleck retorts, so I followed in kind.  Sorry if I mislead you, Michael.

The Stromboli Province?  Yeah it's right next to the Cannelloni Prefecture...

Buddy

Michael Hoffman
Re:Primantis Pittsburgh - Sun, 12/13/09 10:08 PM
Actually, I thought it was a little closer to Panetone than either of the other two.

Greymo
  • Total Posts : 3660
Re:Primantis Pittsburgh - Sun, 12/13/09 10:21 PM
Sheeesh..................I was thinking  Limoncello .

enginecapt
  • Total Posts : 3486
Re:Primantis Pittsburgh - Mon, 12/14/09 12:28 AM
Mark Lemongello, right handed pitcher for the Astros back in the late seventies.

buffetbuster
Re:Primantis Pittsburgh - Mon, 12/14/09 9:59 AM
For those who haven't been there and want to see what the original Primanti's location looks like, check this out from the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette:

http://www.post-gazette.com/localnews/panorama/

See how many famous Pittsburghers you can spot on the wall mural.

Russ Jackson
  • Total Posts : 2257
Re:Primantis Pittsburgh - Mon, 12/14/09 10:21 AM
I like Primanti's. I have been there many times and the service has always been excellent. Even as a Redwing fan I was treated well. Each time I have been there it has been locals and not tourist. Great place to bring a group or watch a game...Russ

EatingTheRoad
Re:Primantis Pittsburgh - Mon, 12/14/09 11:04 AM
Buffetbuster that is a fantastic view of Primanti's....it is one the top on my list that I've yet to get to. I'm not too familiar with Pittsburghers...I see Batman

dannybotz
  • Total Posts : 357
Re:Primantis Pittsburgh - Mon, 12/14/09 11:52 AM
I second the Fatheads chioce!! WEnt to a steelers game last year and Had the" South Side Slopes" before the game!! Awesome sandwich!! great place only prob I had was getting a taxi back to the stadium after I came out. Its a bit of distance from Fatheads and There wasnt a cab to be found! Had to go back in after 20 mins and have them call one for me and that took another 20 good thing i had plenty of time before the game!!

hatteras04
  • Total Posts : 1070
Re:Primantis Pittsburgh - Mon, 12/14/09 4:07 PM
wanderingjew

http://www.paninisgrill.com/

It's a Primanti's rip-off mini chain  in the Cleveland area.  I actually went there when I was on Cat Duty last year in Cleveland.

Huh, and I guess we have one in Columbus as well.  Though it looks to me like an OSU undergrad bar.  In other words, I'll wait until next time I am in Pittsburgh. 

EatingTheRoad
Re:Primantis Pittsburgh - Mon, 12/14/09 9:28 PM
Primanti's as one of the best football stadium foods:
http://www.womansday.com/...all-Stadium-Foods.html

Primanti Bros. Genoa Salami and Cheese Sandwich
Heinz Field in Pittsburgh

Every one of the Primanti Bros. sandwiches sold at Steelers games is a little miracle of caloric wonderment. After all, the multiple layers of meat soar like a high-rise and are topped with coleslaw, tomatoes and french fries. Photo courtesy of Ben Kessler via Unbreaded.com.

enginecapt
  • Total Posts : 3486
Re:Primantis Pittsburgh - Mon, 12/14/09 9:38 PM
Thick layers of slaw and fries as cheap filler.
Minuscule layer of meat.

Yuck.

RC51Mike
  • Total Posts : 443
Re:Primantis Pittsburgh - Tue, 12/15/09 1:34 PM
Folks don't have to like fries and slaw on their sandwiches but how can true Roadfooders not appreciate that this is pure unadulterated roadfood?  It's a local variation created in response to a local need and defined by an independent owner's opinion of what a sandwich is supposed to be.  It has a history and heritage.  The idea of it alone puts a grin on my face and I do think it's a tasty sandwich.  Mere massive  piles of meat for really cheap doesn't make a roadfood. 

As far as beggars, if you think Pittsburgh is bad you obviously have never been to Chicago or Portland or dozens of other cities for that matter.

Michael Hoffman
Re:Primantis Pittsburgh - Tue, 12/15/09 1:51 PM
Gee: Copyright © 2009 Unbreaded™.

EatingTheRoad
Re:Primantis Pittsburgh - Tue, 12/15/09 2:03 PM
Michael Hoffman

Every one of the Primanti Bros. sandwiches sold at Steelers games is a little miracle of caloric wonderment. After all, the multiple layers of meat soar like a high-rise and are topped with coleslaw, tomatoes and french fries. Photo courtesy of Ben Kessler via Unbreaded.com.

As was already referenced above...but redundancy always helps, thanks Michael.
<message edited by EatingTheRoad on Tue, 12/15/09 2:07 PM>

Michael Hoffman
Re:Primantis Pittsburgh - Tue, 12/15/09 2:20 PM
EatingTheRoad

Michael Hoffman

As was already referenced above...but redundancy always helps, thanks Michael.

Oh, so you had written permission to publish it here. I didn't realize that, as it wasn't in the post. As I'm sure you are aware, attribution alone doesn't work.

EatingTheRoad
Re:Primantis Pittsburgh - Tue, 12/15/09 2:31 PM
I am not a copyright lawyer but I do believe if you are reporting something you are allowed to reference 500 words and less with an attribution.

Would you mind supplying written permission for this:
http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/fb.ashx?m=518869

Michael Hoffman
Re:Primantis Pittsburgh - Tue, 12/15/09 5:19 PM
EatingTheRoad

I am not a copyright lawyer but I do believe if you are reporting something you are allowed to reference 500 words and less with an attribution.

Would you mind supplying written permission for this:
http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/fb.ashx?m=518869

Fair use allows for 500 words or 10 percent, whichever is less.  Fair use does not include photographs.

As to supplying written permission for posting the recipe, I cannot. I did not have permission.

HPlatz
  • Total Posts : 103
Re:Primantis Pittsburgh - Tue, 12/15/09 8:34 PM
Try Peppi's in the Strip for a Roethlisburger.  Nice sandwich.  Primanti's is OK, I have no argument with them either but Peppi's is worth a stop when in the Strip.

Soccer862923
  • Total Posts : 208
Re:Primantis Pittsburgh - Wed, 12/16/09 7:37 AM
I saw this when I started researching a possible weekend trip to Pittsburgh. I figured it might be worth a trip there at least to experience it but considering the response on this thread I will have to rethink it.

Soccer862923
  • Total Posts : 208
Re:Primantis Pittsburgh - Wed, 12/16/09 7:37 AM
I saw this when I started researching a possible weekend trip to Pittsburgh. I figured it might be worth a trip there at least to experience it but considering the response on this thread I will have to rethink it.

GeoNit
  • Total Posts : 378
Re:Primantis Pittsburgh - Thu, 06/30/11 7:58 PM
There are better sandwich options in Pittsburgh! 
http://travel.usatoday.com/flights/post/2011/06/boeing-747-test-flight-pittsburgh-sandwich/175566/1
<message edited by GeoNit on Thu, 06/30/11 8:02 PM>

Foodbme
  • Total Posts : 9526
Re:Primantis Pittsburgh - Fri, 07/1/11 5:03 AM
Why doesn't that Eating the Road guy just give up?

MetroplexJim
  • Total Posts : 3704
Re:Primantis Pittsburgh - Fri, 07/1/11 6:53 AM
Even as a proud native of the 'Burgh (Eighty-Four, "Little" Washington, and New Wilmington) I never grew up with the "meal-between-bread bit". 

Then, the Strip wasn't exactly "touristy".  My first Primanti experience was back in the '80's when we visited my eldest while he was attending Carnegie-Mellon.  I asked for my fries and slaw on the side and my son was horrified:  "But you grew up here!"  "Yeah, but I never drove a truck or walked in the Strip - especially at night".

MiamiDon
  • Total Posts : 4306
Re:Primantis Pittsburgh - Fri, 07/1/11 7:43 AM
Foodbme

Why doesn't that Eating the Road guy just give up?

His last post in this thread was SEVEN months ago.

buffetbuster
Re:Primantis Pittsburgh - Fri, 07/1/11 8:00 AM
I hate to point this out MD, but it was a year and seven months.

MiamiDon
  • Total Posts : 4306
Re:Primantis Pittsburgh - Fri, 07/1/11 9:02 AM
Thanks for the check!  It was even worse than my pre-coffee arithmetic scored it.