NY Deli Potato Salad

Hamburger
2009/12/14 14:48:02
We went to a NY Deli at Myrtle Beach, SC.  They had a red skin potato salad with a sour cream/mayo dressing??  I didn't taste pickles, onion or celery. Any one have a tried and true recipe. Thanks for your help!!!!!  :) :) :)

Barbarainnc
PaulBPool
Cheeseburger
Re:NY Deli Potato Salad 2009/12/14 16:10:14
This one works pretty well for me, it's very close to what you'd get in a traditional deli here on Long Island:

Ingredients

10 lbs white potatoes
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup white vinegar
3/4 cup water
1 small to medium onion, grated on a box grater, or pureed in a processor
1 tablespoon white pepper
2 tablespoons salt
3/4 cup vegetable oil
dried parsley (to taste)
Hellman's Mayonnaise (to taste)
Additional dried parsley as garnish

Directions

Cook potatoes until just fork tender - do not overcook, or you will end up with a mushy mess! Remove from heat and peel while hot. (You can actually scrape off the skin by hand under cold water.). Cool in refrigerator for at least one hour. Mix next eight ingredients in a bowl, adding oil last. Remove the potatoes from the 'fridge, and while cold, slice them into 1/4" slices; place slices into a very large bowl. Fold in the mixture. Chill overnight. Add Hellman's mayo to desired consistency; Spread in large, flat serving dishes and garnish with additional dried parsley; some places also use grated carrot, fresh parsley, etc. Don't try to 'rush' this recipe; letting the potatoes and oil mixture sit in the 'fridge overnight helps to blend the flavors and 'tighten' the potatoes.
Every time I make this stuff, I get raves about how it reminds people of the 'good old German delis' that used to be on every block out here. Enjoy!
Russ Jackson
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:NY Deli Potato Salad 2009/12/14 16:34:00
A dill version might be good also...Russ
Matt Gleason
Double Cheeseburger
Re:NY Deli Potato Salad 2010/06/04 20:44:05
Sally Sherman... well, the best commercial salad that I have had.

The best that I have had and unfortunately has been discontinued for some reason (new owners?), would have been the potato salad at Olive's General Store located on Rte 28, Olive, NY.  I never asked the recipe but it was just the right consistency, had a taste of sour cream, celery seed and parsley.  If there were pickles and eggs, they were few and very finely minced.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re:NY Deli Potato Salad 2010/06/04 21:12:46
I love NYC Deli style potato salad. In Dallas, the best NYC version is at Deli-News. Awesome! No eggs and no mustard!
harriet1954
Re:NY Deli Potato Salad 2010/07/01 17:41:26
I found a recipe today online that requires the very thinly-sliced potatoes to sit in a brine of vinegar, water, sugar and salt & pepper to taste, in the refrigerator, for 24 hours before adding the mayo (and I'd put it back to stay cold for another 12 hours, at least). The brine is boiled on its own for 5 minutes before you pour it over the boiled, cooled and sliced potatoes. When you drain it, you don't drain them totally dry, and you reserve some of this marinade in case you need to wet it up a bit. Then you add mayo, which isn't measured, but added to how you want the consistency. I'm so fascinated by this recipe, and it's quite a bit different than the way I've made it my whole life, that I plan to try this on Saturday, to end up with a picnic on Monday.   
 Has anyone else ever made it like this?
post edited by harriet1954 - 2010/07/01 19:57:53
Matt Gleason
Double Cheeseburger
Re:NY Deli Potato Salad 2010/07/01 22:18:11
There's a place up by me called Adams Farm, they offer something similar to the potatoes in brine and mayo.  Very light on the mayo.
bartl
Re:NY Deli Potato Salad 2010/07/06 22:43:24
Hot Dog King There's a place up by me called Adams Farm, they offer something similar to the potatoes in brine and mayo.  Very light on the mayo.

I've been going to Adams Farm since 1973. It's gotten a bit too yuppie for me over the years, but you can still get good fresh local vegetables. Unfortunately, you have to look a lot harder to find them than you used to. :(

Bart

wallhd
Cheeseburger
Re:NY Deli Potato Salad 2010/07/06 23:07:27
My mother use to dice green olives and include them in her potato salad. Otherwise it was pretty similar to some of the versions posted so far. Unfortunately my wife hates olives and wouldn't dream of putting them in potato salad. FWIW

Wally
Plattsburgh NY
doggydaddy
Re:NY Deli Potato Salad 2010/07/07 07:19:48

I work at a retirement community and had to do the potato salad for Father's Day. The potatoes were thoroughly cooked and due to time I crushed and crumbled them in my hand. I made a smooshy, creamy pot salad.
My recipe is nothing out of the ordinary.  The residents raved that it was the best potato salad they have ever eaten in the last two years..!  They commented on it for days and upper management was very aware and said that my style is how it is to be made.

For the 4th, I come into work and the sous chef cut the potatoes.  I look at them and he took good sized red potatoes and cut them in quarters.  You would get a chunk of potato covered with mayo.
I tossed all my prepped ingredients in the Hobart mixer and let the paddle work it's magic.  Viola! creamy potato salad. Anyhow the residents told once again how much they loved it.

I am not writing this for a pat on the back but it surprised how a simple dish can be so noticed.  I am a macaroni salad person and would have that any day over potato salad. I wish that I can do that side dish some day.
I also like German potato salad too..

mark
post edited by doggydaddy - 2010/07/07 07:26:27
MacTAC
Cheeseburger
Re:NY Deli Potato Salad 2010/07/07 10:05:31
harriet1954

I'm so fascinated by this recipe, and it's quite a bit different than the way I've made it my whole life, that I plan to try this on Saturday, to end up with a picnic on Monday.
That sounds exactly like the recipe (probably lost) we had from our favorite German deli. Do you have the proportions of the brine ingredients?

I've always loved the mayo Potato Salad from German delis but it's gotten harder and harder to find. Chunked potatoes, other ingredients added, may be fine in their way, but I crave that thin sliced, tangy traditional style that I grew up with.

DawnT
Re:NY Deli Potato Salad 2010/07/07 12:19:03
For those of you that are looking for an old style, authentic deli taste, you're overlooking an ingredient that gave that creamy mouth feel. If you ever had tuna,chicken,or potato salads or chopped liver back when, you probably remember that taste. The old delis are all gone down here now, so I don't know if this is still done anymore. You're spot on about the vinegar. You also need to consider the type of potato. Russets for example will absorb vinegar or a brine where a waxier or denser potato will not.
Greymo
Filet Mignon
Re:NY Deli Potato Salad 2010/07/07 13:10:22
Here is a recipe that I found that sounds worth a try'

2 lbs potatoes boiled in their skin and cooled.

Brine:
1 cup white vinegar
1 1/3 cup water
3/4 cup sugar
1 onion chopped
salt & pepper to taste

combine brine ingredients and boil for 5 min.
slice potatoes thin (I slice about 1/4" but you can go thinner) and pour hot brine over them.
Let them marinate in the frig for 24 hours. Drain in a collander but do not drain dry. Do this over a pot so if they are too dry you have extra marinade to add back into the salad.

Add Hellman's mayonaise, enough to make it as creamy as you like, and salt & pepper to taste.
MacTAC
Cheeseburger
Re:NY Deli Potato Salad 2010/07/07 13:38:28
DawnT

You're spot on about the vinegar. You also need to consider the type of potato. Russets for example will absorb vinegar or a brine where a waxier or denser potato will not.

Although a VERY good eater, a cook I'm not. Is it desirable to absorb (Russets) or to NOT absorb (waxier/denser)?

6star
Filet Mignon
Re:NY Deli Potato Salad 2010/07/07 13:52:41
MacTAC

DawnT

You're spot on about the vinegar. You also need to consider the type of potato. Russets for example will absorb vinegar or a brine where a waxier or denser potato will not.

Although a VERY good eater, a cook I'm not. Is it desirable to absorb (Russets) or to NOT absorb (waxier/denser)?

This all depends upon what you are looking for in the texture of a potato salad.  The waxier/denser potatoes will make a potato salad which will be chunkier and will require more chewing, while the Russets will make a softer potato salad which will almost melt in  your mouth.  In my own case, I prefer the softer type.
MacTAC
Cheeseburger
Re:NY Deli Potato Salad 2010/07/07 13:57:29
6star

This all depends upon what you are looking for in the texture of a potato salad.  The waxier/denser potatoes will make a potato salad which will be chunkier and will require more chewing, while the Russets will make a softer potato salad which will almost melt in  your mouth.  In my own case, I prefer the softer type.

I was guessing absorb. I asked the spousal unit, a very good cook, and absorb was the response. I think my texture preference would be al dente, if that applies...

post edited by MacTAC - 2010/07/07 13:58:53
DawnT
Re:NY Deli Potato Salad 2010/07/07 14:01:35
Precisely. The lesser density potatoes will absorb the vinegar or marinade and take up the taste much better. Downside of this is durability as the potatoes will be more delicate and tend to fall apart easier with too much mixing. As 6star says, it will also affect the texure of the salad.
MacTAC
Cheeseburger
Re:NY Deli Potato Salad 2010/07/07 14:33:20
Great information. I think the texture is as important to me as those basic ingredients of vinegar & mayo. I'm going to google best potatoes for salad and see what comes up.

In the recipe Greymo posted, it says potatoes boiled in their skin. I know there are many versions of Potato Salad that have their skins still on, but the version I'm thinking of never did. Does the skin go away in one of the preparation processes or should they be peeled at some point?

I'm thinking we're going to be having the version I crave, especially in the summer, very soon...
MacTAC
Cheeseburger
Re:NY Deli Potato Salad 2010/07/07 15:12:44
http://www.kitchenlink.co...2005/0375404317_1.html

"The best potatoes for salad are the firm-textured, low-starch "waxy" varieties, which hold their shape well, such as boiling potatoes, small new potatoes, or delicate fingerlings. All-purpose potatoes with waxy flesh, such as the versatile Yukon Gold, are particularly delicious."

http://allrecipes.com//Ho...tato-salad/Detail.aspx

“Among the best varieties for potato salad are Yellow Finn, Yukon Gold, and red potatoes. Their high moisture content will give them a more pleasant texture when cold, and their waxier flesh holds up better to chopping and to tossing with dressing than drier, more mealy potatoes, like Russets.”

http://www.foodsubs.com/Potatoes.html

“Best for potato salads, gratins, and scalloped potatoes:   Yellow Finn potato, new potato, red-skinned potato, white round potato, and purple potato”

6star
Filet Mignon
Re:NY Deli Potato Salad 2010/07/07 15:17:24
MacTAC

Great information. I think the texture is as important to me as those basic ingredients of vinegar & mayo. I'm going to google best potatoes for salad and see what comes up.

In the recipe Greymo posted, it says potatoes boiled in their skin. I know there are many versions of Potato Salad that have their skins still on, but the version I'm thinking of never did. Does the skin go away in one of the preparation processes or should they be peeled at some point?

I'm thinking we're going to be having the version I crave, especially in the summer, very soon...

Yes, they should be peeled if you want the skin off in the final potato salad.  It is probably a little easier to peel them after boiling (and cooling so you don't burn your fingers!) if you are using an ordinary knife for the process, but if you are using a "handy-dandy" old fashioned potato peeler, there isn't much difference when you do peel them.  Just do it before you cut the potatoes up.
harriet1954
Re:NY Deli Potato Salad 2010/07/07 18:33:20
MacTAC

harriet1954

I'm so fascinated by this recipe, and it's quite a bit different than the way I've made it my whole life, that I plan to try this on Saturday, to end up with a picnic on Monday.
That sounds exactly like the recipe (probably lost) we had from our favorite German deli. Do you have the proportions of the brine ingredients?

I've always loved the mayo Potato Salad from German delis but it's gotten harder and harder to find. Chunked potatoes, other ingredients added, may be fine in their way, but I crave that thin sliced, tangy traditional style that I grew up with.

Sorry I couldn't respond until now - I did see that Greymo beat me to it with the recipe I used! Yep, that's the one, and I have to tell you all that this is the best potato salad I've ever made. It's all gone now, so I can't even eat any more of it.

The potatoes I used were the white Eastern potatoes. Boiling potatoes with the thin skin. My boyfriend doesn't like red potatoes (who knows why), and these were on sale anyway. I just let them sit on the counter for an hour after I boiled them whole. When I sliced them, the skin just kind of crumpled off on its own, more or less.
My daughter works in a New York-style deli, where they don't skimp on quality regarding ingredients, and she was going crazy over the taste of this. Of course she had to emblazon my Facebook wall with, "...and Mom, you really should cook more often!" Nice.

I honestly don't think I'd ever go back to that thick, eggy potato salad anymore after making this. The only thing was I had to start it on Saturday and I did not serve it until Monday. I think the marinating for the 24 hours made all the difference in the world.

My only regret is I did not take any pictures of it this time, but will next time (even though pictures of white food don't always look that great).
DawnT
Re:NY Deli Potato Salad 2010/07/07 20:25:56
I guess this a bit late to bring up, but why bother with cutting up the potatoes afterwards and have to deal with hot ones. I find it easier to peel and cut the potatoes before cooking them. It takes less time and they cook evenly rather then having potatoes that are softer on the outside.
harriet1954
Re:NY Deli Potato Salad 2010/07/08 09:58:16
DawnT

I guess this a bit late to bring up, but why bother with cutting up the potatoes afterwards and have to deal with hot ones. I find it easier to peel and cut the potatoes before cooking them. It takes less time and they cook evenly rather then having potatoes that are softer on the outside.

Dawn - normally I would, for other potato dishes, but I wanted to follow this recipe pretty exactly and see how it came out. I did not have to deal with the potatoes like that when they were hot, because I placed them on the counter for a good hour to cool completely. I was just really happy with the way the texture was, and I was able to slice them really thinly. That also surprised me, because I figured they would just fall apart when I sliced them, but they didn't. They held their shape well after slicing, but were thoroughly cooked. Believe me, nothing grosses me out more than eating anything potato when it's not completely cooked.

It was much less fuss than I thought it would be. I had a lot to do that day and the day after, so the last thing I needed was endless potato prep.

I know some people on this thread said they'd use Russets for this, but I wholeheartedly recommend using the thinner-skinned potatoes such as the Eastern White, or red ones. Much better for salads like this in my experience, and I've used different kinds through the years.

MacTAC
Cheeseburger
Re:NY Deli Potato Salad 2010/07/11 17:48:31
harriet1954

Sorry I couldn't respond until now - I did see that Greymo beat me to it with the recipe I used! Yep, that's the one, and I have to tell you all that this is the best potato salad I've ever made. It's all gone now, so I can't even eat any more of it.

The potatoes I used were the white Eastern potatoes. Boiling potatoes with the thin skin. My boyfriend doesn't like red potatoes (who knows why), and these were on sale anyway.

My only regret is I did not take any pictures of it this time, but will next time (even though pictures of white food don't always look that great).

I copied your post and Greymo's posted recipe. The only difference I saw was no mention of onion in yours, and I never noticed an onion flavor in that style of potato salad, so I preferred not to include it. It's in the refrigerator right now, about two hours from the twenty four hour countdown. When you said "(and I'd put it back to stay cold for another 12 hours, at least)", do you mean not eat it for another twelve hours? That'll take some willpower!

We took a drive out to the farm stands a few days ago and they had red potatoes.

I'll try to get a picture or two...

MacTAC
Cheeseburger
Re:NY Deli Potato Salad 2010/07/12 22:01:07
Excellent flavor but potatoes were too 'al dente'. We'll cook them a little longer next time (soon), and add the onion for comparison. And a picture, I hope...
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
Re:NY Deli Potato Salad 2010/07/13 12:18:53
I tried my own take on the recipes offered here plus about a dozen that seemed interesting on Google. It was a very nice potato salad, but not quite what I remember form NY Delis. So, I added a just a bit of horseradish, and I came a  lot closer to the real thing. Next time I'm going to try some fresh dillweed in a portion of the salad and see how that works. The overnight brining and the use of white thin skinned potatoes seems basic and absolutely necessary.

Cheers, John 
pimple2
Hamburger
Re:NY Deli Potato Salad 2010/07/16 23:11:19
@Greymo & anyone,

Re: the drained brine. It seems to me that there would be at least some amount of sugar, salt & vinegar left in there, plus starch. Is it possible to add a volume of extra-concentrated brine and reuse the combination for another batch? Or use it for something else, in cooking? Just asking! It seems a bit wasteful, pouring that stuff down the drain after just 1 use. Or maybe there is not much brine left over anyway? Thanks.
post edited by pimple2 - 2010/07/16 23:13:40
MacTAC
Cheeseburger
Re:NY Deli Potato Salad 2010/07/16 23:53:31
I don't know about reusing the brine, but your post reminded me that the second batch, 4 lbs. Yukon Golds cooked a little longer, with onion had just finished 24 hrs. in the brine. Thanks for the reminder, now it will be ready tomorrow!

Just picked out onions, drained, added mayo (a little more this time), salt & pepper. Took a taste and it's delicious. Be even better tomorrow afternoon after being refrigerated.

Thanks to harriet1954 and Greymo

PS After draining this batch, it didn't seem like there was an amount worth saving...
DawnT
Re:NY Deli Potato Salad 2010/07/17 02:26:14
I'm wondering about something. You all are on the right track but can texture and mouth feel be part of the equation?
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
Re:NY Deli Potato Salad 2010/07/17 10:45:08
It certainly is: the potatoes must be crispy textured or it doesn't work at all.

Cheers, John 
Matt Gleason
Double Cheeseburger
Re:NY Deli Potato Salad 2010/07/17 13:02:09
Yes.. for me, texture is a must.  There is nothing worse than soggy mushy potato salad.  Potatoes should be firm but cooked through, this provides some time to pick up a taste of spices before breaking all the way through the potato.

Too Much STUFF in potato salad is a turn off, it's potato salad not pepper or onion salad.
DawnT
Re:NY Deli Potato Salad 2010/07/17 13:08:14
You're right about the potatoes John, but the entire salad should have a creamy taste. You're not going to replicate that with retail mayo alone. Again, I'm thinking 60's-70's when NY style Deli's were still common around here and the old ways of doing things that weren't exactly pc health conscious. That's what I'm wondering when folks say it isn't the same. 
MacTAC
Cheeseburger
Re:NY Deli Potato Salad 2010/07/17 16:52:04
DawnT

You're right about the potatoes John, but the entire salad should have a creamy taste. You're not going to replicate that with retail mayo alone.  

My favorite Deli makes a very good Potato Salad, occasionally a little too much mayo or rarely, a little mushy. I'm going to ask what kind of mayonnaise they use, as it is the right creaminess.

Matt Gleason
Double Cheeseburger
Re:NY Deli Potato Salad 2010/07/17 22:58:10
A mix of sour cream and mayo works.
Re:NY Deli Potato Salad 2010/07/18 11:53:48
Potato Salad
Red Potato
Red onions
celery
Bacon
Mustard/ Mayo to a light yellow