South Carolina Hash?

QCrazy
  • Total Posts : 25
  • Reward points : 0
South Carolina Hash? - Mon, 01/11/10 8:37 PM
Alright my fellow SC Roadfooders, does anyone have a good recipe for hash? I grew up on battleship gray/peppery hash in the Pee Dee but I discovered red hash in Orangeburg and Bamberg Counties and I absolutely love it. Are any of you in the know willing to share your secrets with great red hash? For a standard I am thinking about Duke's and B & D BBQ. Thanks for any feedback.

MBRowell
  • Total Posts : 2
Re:South Carolina Hash? - Tue, 06/15/10 2:54 PM
If you have a good "red" sauce recipe that you like you are half way there.  I'm from central SC where mustard sauce rules and I learned to make hash and mustard BBQ sauce from him.  

5 lb Boston Butt
1 lb ground beef
2 large onions
Vinegar
BBQ Sauce
Water

Cook Boston Butt and onions in pressure cooker.  Let cool.  Grind.  Boil ground beef if Boston butt broth.   Here is where it comes to taste.  I mix my ground Boston but and beef together.  Mix in a quart of sauce, about a cup of vinegar and a little water.  Start tasting and adjust to your liking. 

Captain Morgan
  • Total Posts : 503
Re:South Carolina Hash? - Tue, 06/15/10 3:33 PM

2 lbs. chicken breast meat, coarse chopped
2 lbs. pork butt, coarse chopped
1 28 oz can tomatoes or 4-6 fresh chopped and seeded
5 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
2 carrots, peeled and shredded
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup rub
3/4 cup Barbecue sauce

In 12 quart stock pot, sauté onions in oil until translucent, add rub and stir until well blended. Add chicken and pork, sauté 5 - 7 minutes on medium heat. Add water to cover (approx. 1/2 gallon), then add tomatoes. Bring to boil, add carrots. Cook until tomatoes start to break up, then add potatoes. Cook until potatoes have broken down. Puree with a stick blender, then add barbecue sauce. Serve hot over rice. I think I got this from Jack W.

As a note: I have used left over chicken and pork many times in this recipe with great success. Crushed tomatoes seem to work best for me. I like to use cattleman's smokey for the sauce. Be sure to adjust it for salt after you puree it.

MBRowell
  • Total Posts : 2
Re:South Carolina Hash? - Wed, 06/16/10 3:21 PM
Captain.... your "hash" sounds interesting but more like Brunswick Stew.   I don't think that Duke's hash has carrots and potatos in it.

DawnT
  • Total Posts : 1286
Re:South Carolina Hash? - Wed, 06/16/10 3:34 PM
"Alright my fellow SC Roadfooders, does anyone have a good recipe for hash?"

Thirty five or so years ago I would have suggested a packaged brownie mix and lightly sauteing in the butter first, but I guess that's not what you're looking for either.

Captain Morgan
Re:South Carolina Hash? - Wed, 06/16/10 7:30 PM
hash recipes are like brunswick stew recipes, no two are alike..
here's some more...

Georgia Bar-BQ Hash  2-3 lbs lean pork roast  2-3 lbs lean beef roast or chuck  1 lb white meat chicken (optional)  1 large onion  1 large can tomatoes (28 ounce)  1 cans white corn  1 can creamed corn  1 cup cider vinegar  2 tablespoons black pepper  1 tablespoon ground red pepper  1/2 table spoon of crushed red pepper  1 tablespoon salt  Cut meat into large chunks. Place in a heavy pot and add water to  barely cover. Simmer more than an hour. When the meat is very  tender, drain and reserve any broth. Grind the meat with a coarse  hand grinder or chop finely. (Using a food processor destroys the  texture.) Grind one large onion. Place onion and the meat back into  the pot and add one large can of tomatoes -juice and all. Add corn,  vinegar and seasonings. Simmer a few minutes. Add the reserved  broth to the meat until it reaches the consistency of stew. Serve  it over white rice or bread with dill pickles on the side as a  condiment.

Captain Morgan
Re:South Carolina Hash? - Wed, 06/16/10 7:33 PM
Here's an article I wrote years ago for a website..

This is a dish served mainly in South Carolina and Georgia, although it can be found in North Carolina and other southern states. It is somewhat akin to Brunswick Stew, which is served more often in North Carolina. There is also a legend about making hash only during the full moon...I'll tell you more about that later.  The variations of recipes are about as numerous as the cooks. In other words, travel a hundred miles, and get a hundred different recipes. It's hard to nail down a precise recipe that is used as a standard. For this article, hash is a thin, reddish brown stew that is served over rice or grits. It is sometimes eaten as a sandwich, kind of a South Carolina sloppy joe. It is made of a couple of meats and vegetables, which can include pork, chicken, onions, potatos, tomatos, corn, sometimes carrots, and I saw a Georgia recipe one time that included beef.  The history of hash goes back a long way, and the old timers will tell you it has to be made overnight in a giant black kettle or wash tub.  The basic process in making hash starts with browning the meat and onions and letting them break down some if they aren't already cooked. I would imagine that this dish originated from left over smoked pork and chicken,  so that's what I use to make it.  After the meat is browned, water (and often tomatos) is generally added and the meat stews for over an hour. Diced potatos are added, and it all cooks for another hour or so. Everything should be broken up or "loose". If not, stir, mix, or even blend the combination to a pudding like texture. Some hash's are stringy, but if you use a stick blender, it will be a different texture. The flavor is still good though.  BBQ rubs and sauces have been added. Other spices I've run across in hash recipes include Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, oregano, hot sauce, mustard, vinegar and of course, salt and pepper.  Of course, there are many arguments about who makes "real hash." In some parts of South Carolina they even make a mustard based hash. Here's the recipe I use, and it's closest to the ones I remember having when growning up.  South Carolina BBQ Hash  2 pounds of shredded or chopped pork butt bbq  2 pounds of chicken meat, shredded or chopped, any type  2 pounds of onions  1 28 oz can of tomatos  5 white potatos, peeled and diced into chunks  3 tbsp salt  3 tbsp black pepper, freshly ground  1 tbsp garlic powder  1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce  1/8 cup cider vinegar  Since I use cooked meat, you don't have to brown the meats. In a skillet, cook the onions until just translucent. Add all the other ingrediants, and then cover with water. Simmer for about an hour, or until the potatos start to break up. If it's too chunky or the potatos are tender, use a whisk and stir vigorously, and let it cook a little more. You may have to add more water.  Serve over hot rice. This can be eaten as a side dish or a main course.  Hash is one of those dishes that even better the next day. However, hash is also one of those dishes that will sour in the fridge. Make sure it has cooled down before putting it in the fridge. You can speed up the process by stirring and seperating the hash into small containers.  Oh, and the legend of making hash by the light of the silvery moon...well  many folks in South Carolina don't do much at all unless the moon is full or near it. That includes gathering crops. It's said that if you gather your crops under a full moon, you'll get more. Same with hash...under the full moon, your hash pot may overflow if you're not careful! But cook under a dark moon, and that pot will surely be near empty by the time it's ready.  Hey, don't ask me, ask the bbq gods.

SC John Boy
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:South Carolina Hash? - Wed, 06/16/10 9:04 PM
I live in Union SC and the hash we have here is all beef hash. Midway BBQ in Buffalo ships it world wide. We have local people that cooks hash some weekends. All are good but the best we have found is at West Springs Hash House on Hwy 215. But just a few places have it often. If ever up this way stop in and try some.

QCrazy
  • Total Posts : 25
Re:South Carolina Hash? - Thu, 06/17/10 4:51 PM
Thanks for the feedback folks. I have not checked in for a while. I will give some of your suggestions a go. Thanks again.

cwjudyjr
  • Total Posts : 126
Re:South Carolina Hash? - Wed, 07/7/10 11:41 AM
Here is one I like.  Not exactly as I remember Duke's but good none-the-less. 

3 lbs Ground beef
1/4 pound Margarine
1/4 cup Brown sugar
1/2 cup Vinegar
2 slices Lemon
2 medium Onions
3 tablespoon Mustard prepared
3 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup Ketchup
2 cups Beef broth

Cook beef; combine butter, sugar, vinegar, lemon, onions, and mustard in broth. Cook 20 minutes or until onions are done. Add beef, Worcestershire sauce, catsup, and salt to taste. Let simmer 40 minutes.

Yields: 8 Servings

<message edited by cwjudyjr on Wed, 07/7/10 11:43 AM>

jimcfs1
  • Total Posts : 71
Re:South Carolina Hash? - Wed, 07/7/10 7:30 PM
cwjudyjr

Here is one I like.  Not exactly as I remember Duke's but good none-the-less. 

3 lbs Ground beef
1/4 pound Margarine
1/4 cup Brown sugar
1/2 cup Vinegar
2 slices Lemon
2 medium Onions
3 tablespoon Mustard prepared
3 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup Ketchup
2 cups Beef broth

Cook beef; combine butter, sugar, vinegar, lemon, onions, and mustard in broth. Cook 20 minutes or until onions are done. Add beef, Worcestershire sauce, catsup, and salt to taste. Let simmer 40 minutes.

Yields: 8 Servings

This seems like a West Virginia Hot Dog Chili recipe to me, especially given the sugar content.

cwjudyjr
Re:South Carolina Hash? - Sun, 02/20/11 2:09 PM
A bit more like a Sloppy Joe than Hot Dog Chili by my taste.  Isn't the consistency of what I remeber from my SC days, but close in taste from my memory, which after 40 years could be scewed.

cwjudyjr
Re:South Carolina Hash? - Sun, 02/20/11 2:14 PM
A great read!  Thanks for sharing!!

Conrad

Notdumasilook
  • Total Posts : 3
Re:South Carolina Hash? - Sat, 11/24/12 7:27 PM
Ive been to Midway many times and use to live in Union.  Love that Midway hash and finally.. after a lot of trial and error came up with something darn near it. Its a bit of a drive from Charlotte so I had to come up with a recipe for that stuff.  Have a great weekend. PS.. if you can sneak me the recipe to their chicken stew I would be forever in your debt..  lol.

Notdumasilook
  • Total Posts : 3
Re:South Carolina Hash? - Sat, 11/24/12 7:34 PM

Here is a basic one I use. Might want to use this one as a starting point. Tweak it on the hot stuff and salt to your personal taste.
4 lbs of chuck roast. (approx)
2lbs of pork country style ribs cut in to chunks (approx)
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1tsp salt
1tbsp fresh ground black pepper
1tbsp crushed red pepper
1 tablespoon Tapatio hot sauce
1/4 cup of vinegar
1 large onion chopped
1 tablespoon Adolf meat tenderizer
2 sticks unsalted butter
Start by tossing the chunks in a crock pot with a little water. Cook on low over night. Remove meat and shred with 2 forks and discard any unrendered fatty tissues etc then toss the meat along with any broth in a heavy larg saucepan or dutch oven... (enough to hold near a gallon of water). add the vinegar, onions, cayenne, black and red pepper, and hot sauce. Add water enough to well cover the mix and simmer (not boil). Now the goal is to simmer this mix for several hours.. at least 4, adding water as needed and stirring from bottom to top. Now add the Adolf and the salt and continue simmering concentrating the broth until the mix has lost most of its water. You will not see anything in the pot recognizable at this point. Onion will be cooked away and the meat will look ..well.. like hash. (hash is not pretty). The last thing you do prior to serving (on big sandwich buns is my prefered way) is you add the 2 sticks of butter and stir well, taste and add salt if you need it.