South Beach Diet

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 60 of 103
Kristi S.
  • Total Posts : 712
  • Reward points : 0
South Beach Diet - Thu, 01/8/04 2:11 PM
I have a buddy that lost 8 pounds on this diet in one week. He highly recommends it. But I'd like to get other opinions. Has anyone here tried it, and how were your results?

I think the only thing that would kill me on this diet is the "no-pasta" thing. I am an affirmed pasta-holic!

Sundancer7
  • Total Posts : 13397
RE: South Beach Diet - Thu, 01/8/04 3:41 PM
It is very similar to the Dr. Atkins thing. It adds a few more berries and nuts and veggies.

I am on the Atkins thing and I think I would have preferred the South Beach.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

CheeseWit
  • Total Posts : 1393
RE: South Beach Diet - Thu, 01/8/04 3:51 PM
Paul, why don't you just switch into the South Beach diet? I'm re-starting on Atkins this week (I'm in day 4) and everyone is telling me that I should do South Beach as it is "more realistic" for following long term.

scbuzz
  • Total Posts : 844
RE: South Beach Diet - Thu, 01/8/04 4:00 PM
I'm switching from Atkins to SB too ! They say it is much easier on the body !!

MaryB
  • Total Posts : 32
RE: South Beach Diet - Thu, 01/8/04 5:19 PM
Help all! I am so excited to try the South Beach diet as well, the food looks great and do-able. I am allergic to eggs though and am baffled as to what I can substitute as a protein source. Any suggestions? Eggless in Kansas

Kristi S.
RE: South Beach Diet - Thu, 01/8/04 5:25 PM
That's why I think I'm going to try this. It allows a lot of the things I love, like veggies and cheese and seafood. It definitely seems more realistic. Since I'm no soda drinker anyway, I can survive on this kind of diet. I've been sitting here all day studying the list of do's and don'ts for Phase 1, and the do's-list is much longer! That's why it seems appealing to me. (plus the fact that my friend swears by it)

I will begin this probably next week, after my birthday. I want to have a birthday glass of wine and maybe some cheesecake. Then I'll begin!

Pwingsx
  • Total Posts : 2170
RE: South Beach Diet - Thu, 01/8/04 6:01 PM
But I thought you can have veggies and cheese on Atkins. What are these questions?

4fish
  • Total Posts : 214
RE: South Beach Diet - Thu, 01/8/04 7:13 PM
I think I'm going to start this next week. I need to do something drastic after the holidays. I'm not familiar with the Atkins diet beyond the commentary I've read here and in the newspaper, but my understanding is that the South Beach diet pushes more vegetables and leaner meats than Atkins.

The hardest part for me is going to be cutting out sugar. They swear that after the first two weeks you stop craving it, so we'll see!

KimChee43
  • Total Posts : 382
RE: South Beach Diet - Thu, 01/8/04 8:47 PM
My husband and I went on the South Beach diet together this past summer. We followed the menu plans for Phase I. It was fun to prepare the tasty recipes. After two weeks, he lost about 13 pounds. I lost...ONLY 1 1/2 pounds! "Cheating" was not a factor in my case. For some reason, I don't lose weight on "low-carb" diets. Maybe it's a "female thing". Since then, I've basically reduced my food portions by about a third, focusing on a low-fat diet and have lost, since mid-October, about 20 pounds. I'm not a fan of the South Beach Diet. It didn't work for me. Sorry.

lamertz
  • Total Posts : 290
RE: South Beach Diet - Thu, 01/8/04 8:49 PM
Have done the Adkins with success--lost 20 lbs. -- and quit smoking at the same time-but I found that I gained when I resumed eating in a real fashion--this with running 2 miles 5 days a week. So--I think this diet reeks!!!! When you look at all of these diets,you find that they all offer the same thing--a rapid weight loss the first 2-3 weeks and then a rapid weight gain the next 2-3 weeks. I have decided that the old addage is true--eat less and exercise more. I don't eat lots of carbs now and try to have 1/2 portions. OK --so I'm not a size 4 anymore--merely an 8 but I refuse to parse over
every calorie and every gram of carbs. I'm healthy and happy!!
And you know what-- that's OK by me!!

EdSails
  • Total Posts : 3588
RE: South Beach Diet - Fri, 01/9/04 6:17 PM
I started Atkins again this week after my holiday splurge and have lost 6 lbs. in 5 days. I've heard a lot about SB though and may switch to it when I'm done with the Atkins induction phase. I think eating more fish/seafood this time has helped me. Good luck to all of you in diet land!

tiki
  • Total Posts : 4135
RE: South Beach Diet - Sun, 01/11/04 9:01 AM
Amybody been on this diet for any length of time? Im about to actually start dieting---boy that sounds weird!!!---ive always bee---shall we say--big---but i also worked everyday---hard---now that im semi retired i dont get anywahere near the exercise i once did and decide its time start walking and lose a bunch of weight. My brother actually just went through a gastric bypass---he looks and feels great--- he's gone from 475 lbs to 250---but im not real thrilled about surgury so im looking at diets seriously and resovled to walk 20 mins OUT and then 20 back, up the old Texas Rd that runs by my home.at least 4 days a week. Any feed back from someone that has tried this diet would be appreciated

Donna Douglass
  • Total Posts : 508
RE: South Beach Diet - Sun, 01/11/04 9:11 AM
Hi fellow dieters.....my husband and I have been on the South Beach diet since July 1. He had only 25 lbs. to lose and he lost it well in just three months and is keeping it off. I have lost 20 lbs but have a long way to go yet to goal. I understand women lose less rapidly than men and that could be. Also, I have bad knees and can't really exercise much as walking is very difficult, but I try.

The SB Diet is truly easy and lots of things to eat and new recipes to try. We use only Splenda but never did use much sugar anyway. We keep sugar free popsicles on hand along with sugar free jello for snacks. So far we aren't bored with the diet. We love salads and I do make some creative ones to keep our interest.

I think we miss most having potatoes occasionally but have begun adding them once in awhile so we've never really felt deprived of things we like.

Good luck everyone who is trying to lose weight...we all need all the encouragement possible...just be patient, be motivated and be confidant....it can be done!

Donna

starrleicht
  • Total Posts : 10
RE: South Beach Diet - Sun, 01/11/04 4:07 PM
I lost 40 pounds - fast - on the low carb diet, but got sick as a dog, too so I'm skeptical of all these diets, but it sure sounds like the South Beach is a lot healthier, if you have to choose...IMHO anyway!

Sundancer7
RE: South Beach Diet - Sun, 01/11/04 6:49 PM
The Sundancer has been on the Atkins diet for about four months and I have lost about 30 pounds. It is boring and i personally believe the SB diet is better as it allows more options.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

JimInKy
  • Total Posts : 599
RE: South Beach Diet - Sun, 01/11/04 7:25 PM
When I voluntarily facilitated one-month smoking cessation clinics for the American Cancer Society (23 clinics over 7 years), I learned weight gain sometimes factored into a quitter's success or failure. Some individuals were less accepting of the weight gain that normally accompanies quitting and would abandon the effort.

Weight gain following cessation of smoking is almost universal and happens rather quickly. Because nicotine supresses appetite, smokers typically eat less and snack less. When nicotine is removed, the average smoker begins eating more and misses fewer meals and snacks.

Both men and women sometimes try to fill the void created by quitting with food and drink, and unless they accompany this behavior with a commensurate level of exercise, weight gain is inevitable.

In two sizable studies conducted in California, the ACS found that ex smokers adjusted their eating over time, and at the end of the first year weighed considerably less than in the months just after quitting. One study found the average net weight gain of all ex smokers after one year was 3 pounds. The other study found the net gain was closer to 4 pounds. It takes a little while but the body's metabolism adjusts and ex smokers eat like everyone else.

b-n-kchefservice
  • Total Posts : 69
RE: South Beach Diet - Sun, 01/11/04 10:45 PM
I have never tried the south beach diet but my wife and I are both on the atkins and are haveing great success. we started in september and lost about 30lb each up until Thanksgiving. then we paid attention to what we ate but by no means adhered to anything DR atkins would have approved of. and now we are back on the atkins program as of 01-05-04 and have I have lost 13lbs and she has lost 9 lbs. I do know that the south beach diet sounds more lax as far as what you can eat, but we are sticking with atkins simply because we know that it works for us. I also know that alot of people think the atkins program is boring but I do alot of experimenting that has proved to be woth the trial and error. one of our favorite thing are the tortilla free taco salad and the grilled portbellos with creamy garlic shrimp or scallops on top. Good luck with whatever diet you do decide. Barry and Kimberlee in MI

EdSails
RE: South Beach Diet - Mon, 01/12/04 12:39 PM
Is anyone familiar with the "Carbohydrate Addicts Diet"? I have heard it is a good one to try too. Anyone tried it?

cmr586
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: South Beach Diet - Mon, 01/12/04 4:42 PM
I started South Beach one week ago today and have stayed to it stitcly thus far. However, I have not lost one single pound. Any ideas?

Also, the book does not mention whether diet sodas are allowed. I would assume they are.

Sundancer7
RE: South Beach Diet - Mon, 01/12/04 5:38 PM
CMR: I would suggest you contact the Atkins web site but I am sure that diet drinks are allowed as I do about six a day and I have lost 30 pounds.

[url]www.Atkins.com[/url]

For two weeks avoid sugar, grain in any form, potatoes, bread. You can have any meat and cheese. Just avoid breaded meat as it has grain. I have a drink every night and I still lose. A lot of people think that because any meat is allowed, they can have breaded fried food. You cannot do that. It only takes a small amount of sugar, grain or bread to convert carbs into fat.

After you do the induction phases, you can slowly add carbs into your diet.

Good luck

Paul E. Smith
knoxville, TN

Bushie
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: South Beach Diet - Mon, 01/12/04 9:55 PM
quote:
Originally posted by EdSails

Is anyone familiar with the "Carbohydrate Addicts Diet"? I have heard it is a good one to try too. Anyone tried it?

Yep. Tried it about 4 years ago. The "key" to that diet is to have no carbs during the day, but you are allowed to "pig out" in the evening, as long as you keep EVERYTHING you eat or drink within a 1 hour time period. Yeah, right.

Sundancer7
RE: South Beach Diet - Mon, 01/12/04 10:05 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Bushie

quote:
Originally posted by EdSails

Yep. Tried it about 4 years ago. The "key" to that diet is to have no carbs during the day, but you are allowed to "pig out" in the evening, as long as you keep EVERYTHING you eat or drink within a 1 hour time period. Yeah, right.

I think Bushie is right. I heard that you have to do the carbs between 1:00AM and 2:00AM Stay up and pig out in the earlyt morning.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

redtressed
  • Total Posts : 1017
RE: South Beach Diet - Mon, 01/12/04 10:58 PM
I'm probably going to be popped in the noggin for this but........

Please folks....be very careful with these fad diets. Remember the liquid diets of the 80's and 90's? The weight came off quickly..........Many hospitals sponsored such programs.....many hospitals started getting sued because they neglected to mention a little fact. The deprivation of fats from the diet caused many a gallbladder to atrophy or basically die from lack of use and lots of surgeries had to be performed that probably would of not, otherwise. Conversely with these little carb, high protein and high fat can make the same said gallbladder go into hyperdrive and cause the same problem...a malfunctioning gallbladder. Also the ketoacidosis that can occur with the same kind of diets can be very dangerous for diabetics, people with hypertension or people with kidney problems. Although this is not a quick fix rapid loss diet, one that follows American Diabetic Association protocol is much less stress in the long run on your body as well as teaches you some modifications. Talk to a reputable nutritionist before going on any of these please.

lleechef
  • Total Posts : 6246
RE: South Beach Diet - Mon, 01/12/04 11:27 PM
Thanks redtressed and no, we're not goin to pop you in the noggin. I think a sensible diet as low fat as possible with lots of good vegetables and salads and fish, low fat meats....AND a proper work out every day is the best way to keep the weight off.

tiki
  • Total Posts : 4135
RE: South Beach Diet - Tue, 01/13/04 1:20 PM
Whats the defining line between a Fad diet and a Sensible diet? seems like ALL diets end up fads--that doesnt mean it wont work though---guess those that do are the sensible ones,huh?.....and btw---how much you wanna bet i got a leg that weighs more then "Miss Size 4" Lleechef! In my old neighborhood the best way to keep the weight off you was to not tick off the Teague Boys or the football team!

KimChee43
  • Total Posts : 382
RE: South Beach Diet - Tue, 01/13/04 1:39 PM
quote:
Originally posted by cmr586

I started South Beach one week ago today and have stayed to it stitcly thus far. However, I have not lost one single pound. Any ideas?

Also, the book does not mention whether diet sodas are allowed. I would assume they are.

CMR586: Sorry to hear that you haven't lost any weight on the South Beach Diet so far. Are you male or female? I'm female and have tried the South Beach Diet. After two weeks, I lost maybe 1 to 1 1/2 pounds. For some reason, the low-carb diets don't favor women as much as men, in my opinion.

cmr586
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: South Beach Diet - Tue, 01/13/04 1:51 PM
Walden Farms and several other manufacturers make zero carb products like syrup, dressings, etc. Has anyone tried any of these?

scbuzz
  • Total Posts : 844
RE: South Beach Diet - Tue, 01/13/04 3:41 PM
There is a store in Columbia SC (Rosewood Market) that has a whole speciality area of low/no carb foods. They have LC bread, bagels and wraps, candy bars, snacks, syrup, jellies and so on !! Some are Atkins brand, but many or from various other companies. I have tried many, but not all. Some are good, but some are just plain NASTY !!

JimInKy
  • Total Posts : 599
RE: South Beach Diet - Wed, 01/14/04 9:21 AM
The January 19 issue of Newsweek came Tuesday and the cover story is titled:

Diet & Carbs: What you really need to know

Blurb from Contents page:

"Everyone, it seems is suddenly obsessed with counting and cutting carbs. But are we all doomed to years of bunless burgers? In a "Health for Life" Special Report, Newsweek explains how to tell the good carbs from the bad.

The main artilce begins:

Going Beyond Atkins

There's no question that carbs can make you fat. But are bunless burgers the best alternative? Here's a healthier, and tastier, way to cut carbs.

Choose wisely: With careful planning, you can have your carbs and eat them too

The above article and 5 others about health and living can be read at Newsweek's Web site. You can read them there for free until about Sunday or Monday.

Go to: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3927814/

Donna Douglass
RE: South Beach Diet - Wed, 01/14/04 9:41 AM
I'm in agreement with all who warn of fad diets, and I've been dieting all my life! But the South Beach Diet book makes so much sense to me and the regimen is reasonable so I can't see the danger in at least trying the diet. As I said before, it worked well for my husband and is working for me....the first two weeks are the most strict, then after that carbs (the good carbs) are reintroduced. And the first two weeks aren't all that "fadish," just eliminate bread, potatoes, sugar and pasta. And stay off the scales as long as you can so you don't get discouraged if there is no, or little, loss at first.

I weigh only once a month and that works for me. I'm always pleasantly surprised, and the weight is coming off slowly, the way it was put on in the first place.

Even if one doesn't want to follow the diet itself, reading the book is worthwhile. So much explained. It all makes sense.

Again, good luck however you do it....we all need encouragement.

Donna

Sundancer7
RE: South Beach Diet - Wed, 01/14/04 9:50 AM
Jiminky: Thanks for the article.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

booboobirdie
  • Total Posts : 143
RE: South Beach Diet - Wed, 01/14/04 10:07 AM
I had tremendous success with the South Beach diet. I'm female, mid-30's, lost 10 lbs in the 1st 2 weeks. And it really wasn't difficult at all.
Rather than read the book, I had signed up on the website, which I think cost $6.95 a month. I really enjoyed doing it that way, because they have very active discussion boards, and so whenever I had a question, I found almost instant help (just like I get with you nice people here!)

4fish
RE: South Beach Diet - Wed, 01/14/04 10:25 AM
I am now on day 3 of the first phase of South Beach, and considering whether to quit. Maybe this isn't enough time to know if it works, but I'm miserable. I'm used to starting my day with either a whole-grain bun or steel cut oatmeal. Without it I'm getting constipated and feeling vaguely nauseous most of the morning.

I think I'll try adding back half of my whole-grain bun tomorrow morning and see if I feel better. I just hope it doesn't bring back the sugar cravings, too!

EdSails
RE: South Beach Diet - Wed, 01/14/04 2:08 PM
quote:
Originally posted by JimInKy

The January 19 issue of Newsweek came Tuesday and the cover story is titled:

Diet & Carbs: What you really need to know

Blurb from Contents page:

"Everyone, it seems is suddenly obsessed with counting and cutting carbs. But are we all doomed to years of bunless burgers? In a "Health for Life" Special Report, Newsweek explains how to tell the good carbs from the bad.

The main artilce begins:

Going Beyond Atkins

There's no question that carbs can make you fat. But are bunless burgers the best alternative? Here's a healthier, and tastier, way to cut carbs.

Choose wisely: With careful planning, you can have your carbs and eat them too

The above article and 5 others about health and living can be read at Newsweek's Web site. You can read them there for free until about Sunday or Monday.

Go to: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3927814/

Great article JiminKy!

booboobirdie
RE: South Beach Diet - Wed, 01/14/04 2:17 PM
4fish, what are you having for breakfast now? don't give up....it takes some getting used to, and there's ways to conquer the problems you're having.

4fish
RE: South Beach Diet - Wed, 01/14/04 2:35 PM
Eggs, either fried over hard with a slice of Canadian bacon, or scrambled with shallots and a small piece of cheese on the side. I missed my orange juice something terrible the first two days but I remembered this morning that I'd bought tomato juice, so I had some of that.

Kristi S.
RE: South Beach Diet - Wed, 01/14/04 3:40 PM
My better half -- aka "Mr. Metabolism" -- thinks I am absolutely insane for wanting to attempt this diet. He saw my phase one list. "No fruit? What, are they crazy?" And this is from a guy who considers applesauce "fruit".

I am SO out to prove him wrong.

After all, there is a lonely leather miniskirt in my closet, calling my name, begging to be worn again.

4fish
RE: South Beach Diet - Sat, 01/17/04 1:16 PM
Well, it's now Day 6. I must be getting used to the diet because I'm feeling better. And I weighed myself yesterday morning at the gym and I'd lost two pounds, so I'm making some progress!

Kristi S.
RE: South Beach Diet - Mon, 01/19/04 9:36 AM
quote:
Originally posted by 4fish

Well, it's now Day 6. I must be getting used to the diet because I'm feeling better. And I weighed myself yesterday morning at the gym and I'd lost two pounds, so I'm making some progress!

Good for you 4fish! I began the diet yesterday. It's going to be hard to give up my morning bowl of cereal. I'm not a bacon & eggs kind of girl, but I did hard-boil about half a dozen last night to take with me to work this week. How are you coping w/breakfasts?

4fish
RE: South Beach Diet - Mon, 01/19/04 2:51 PM
quote:
quote:

Good for you 4fish! I began the diet yesterday. It's going to be hard to give up my morning bowl of cereal. I'm not a bacon & eggs kind of girl, but I did hard-boil about half a dozen last night to take with me to work this week. How are you coping w/breakfasts?

I was used to having eggs about three times a week, so it's OK, but I'm getting a little tired of them after eight days straight! I just keep repeating, "Next Monday, next Monday" like a mantra, to remind myself that then I can add back some whole grains!

booboobirdie
RE: South Beach Diet - Mon, 01/19/04 3:01 PM
4fish....happy to hear things seem to be working better for you. I'm glad you didn't give up.
I try to keep my breakfasts "interesting"... saute any of the allowed veggies for omelettes, crumble turkey bacon into them, maybe a tiny bit of low-fat cheese.
Keep us posted on how you do!

Berry
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: South Beach Diet - Tue, 01/20/04 11:42 PM
New to this forum and new to Sb diet. Only on it for three days
I cant stand eggs or fish but found the meals to be very tasty. If I can eat eggs and fish then anybody can. My breakfast before was lots of coffee and bread. If anyone is having a hard time drinking veggi juice just like I was try adding some salt and lemon.

Helen Maxwell
  • Total Posts : 19
RE: South Beach Diet - Wed, 01/21/04 12:18 AM
I'm gearing up to start the South Beach diet. I'd heard about it and dismissed it as a fad diet, until I'd had a chance to actually talk about it with my doctor, who urged it.

I've picked up the book and have read through it--and it makes a lot of sense! I'm just waiting for pay day to roll around so I can go out and replace most of my food (right now my pantry seems to be host to the great satan carbohydrate demon, which is just no good at all for the dieting...). Wish me luck!

Kristi S.
RE: South Beach Diet - Wed, 01/21/04 9:01 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Helen Maxwell

Wish me luck!

Good luck Helen! I'm doing okay on it so far. I've discovered that lentils make a decent pasta substitute - just add sauce. Lentils almost taste like orzo. I'm learning just how strong my willpower is - it's a lesson in character, you will discover!

Berry
RE: South Beach Diet - Wed, 01/21/04 1:25 PM
I have a question for anyone who can answer. I feel full after a meal and I stay full for a good while is this normal or am I eating too much? Scared that I might gain weight instead of loosing it.

4fish
RE: South Beach Diet - Wed, 01/21/04 3:25 PM
quote:
I have a question for anyone who can answer. I feel full after a meal and I stay full for a good while is this normal or am I eating too much? Scared that I might gain weight instead of loosing it.

I've felt quite full after my meals, too, and I've lost six pounds in nine days. I'm just getting a little tired of eggs and lettuce. Hang in there!

Kristi S.
RE: South Beach Diet - Wed, 01/21/04 3:34 PM
quote:

quote:

I've felt quite full after my meals, too, and I've lost six pounds in nine days. I'm just getting a little tired of eggs and lettuce. Hang in there!

I get that full feeling too. I think that's the way it's supposed to be. My friend says that he feels full after following the regimen. So it sounds normal! I'm not going to weigh myself until a week has passed. Eggs and lettuce. I may never eat them again after this diet is through!

Berry
RE: South Beach Diet - Wed, 01/21/04 5:03 PM
Thank you 4fish and Kristi S I feel much better now.

Donna Douglass
RE: South Beach Diet - Wed, 01/21/04 6:03 PM
Hi fellow dieters....I'm not an "egg person" either but using Eggbeaters and doing different things with them makes them tolerable for me. The little quiches are very good and we both like them...and they are handy. Make 12 of them and each morning the day's quota can be microwaved quickly. And additions to the Eggbeaters makes for different tastes daily.

As far as salads are concerned, we both love salad but again, there is room for a lot creativity in salad-making. We use baby spinach, mixed spring greens, Romaine and Butter lettuce, not all at the same time, but for a variety of tastes. We don't eat the steak allowed but I buy ground lean sirloin (95% lean) and put it atop a salad for not only difference in tastes but textures and temperatures.

I've tried many, many diets, and many weight loss groups over a period of 50 years and this is the best one, and the easiest one yet. We've begun adding good carbs carefully and so far all is great in our part of the dieting world.

Again, you all have my best wishes for good health, and success in your efforts to lose weight.

Donna

Berry
RE: South Beach Diet - Wed, 01/21/04 10:02 PM
Can anyone give me any info on Splenda. I just read in the Atkins web site that you have to limit your intake. Is this true on SB?

Leemart
  • Total Posts : 15
RE: South Beach Diet - Fri, 02/13/04 3:14 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Berry

Can anyone give me any info on Splenda. I just read in the Atkins web site that you have to limit your intake. Is this true on SB?

Berry:
I can't answer your direct question, but my personal experience is that Splenda is the only artificial sweetener that doesn't leave me with an unpleasant aftertaste.

Jellybeans
  • Total Posts : 312
RE: South Beach Diet - Fri, 02/13/04 6:15 AM
Anyone here tried food combining and/or detox?

I'm doing it at the moment because I need to straighten out my bad stomach and some variations of it are effective as weight-loss diets. It's basically eating either all-protein meals or all-carb meals that are accompanied by lots and lots of raw veggie and fruit. All carbs that are allowed are complex carbs--lots of fibre.

Detox is what I do on the occasionaly weekend--just drinking a lot of water with a squeeze of lemon juice and having steamed veggies, salad veggies and lots of fruit. It's to flush out my system.

But basically, when I was losing weight, all I did was eat less and eat sensibly (low fat, high fibre, lots of veggies and fruit, NO SUGAR), exercise more. As my cousin who is a doctor said: it's simple--input vs output: less input and more output means your weight and size goes down. Input must be quality input with all the vitamins and nutrients you need too... and NO SUGAR!!!!

If there's one thing I notice that all diets are united about, it's the "no sugar" rule... correct me if I'm wrong...

Kristi S.
RE: South Beach Diet - Fri, 02/13/04 8:25 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Jellybeans

If there's one thing I notice that all diets are united about, it's the "no sugar" rule... correct me if I'm wrong...

Yep, sugar is bad, bad. It's also hard to give up. I've been on South Beach for a month now, and have only lost about 5 pounds. But that could be because I haven't had time for my thrice-weekly workouts in the gym due to other stuff going on. But I'm not giving up. If there's anything I have learned from this diet, it is how to eat more healthfully.

avaree
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: South Beach Diet - Fri, 02/13/04 11:54 AM
quote:
Originally posted by redtressed

I'm probably going to be popped in the noggin for this but........

Please folks....be very careful with these fad diets. Remember the liquid diets of the 80's and 90's? The weight came off quickly..........Many hospitals sponsored such programs.....many hospitals started getting sued because they neglected to mention a little fact. The deprivation of fats from the diet caused many a gallbladder to atrophy or basically die from lack of use and lots of surgeries had to be performed that probably would of not, otherwise. Conversely with these little carb, high protein and high fat can make the same said gallbladder go into hyperdrive and cause the same problem...a malfunctioning gallbladder. Also the ketoacidosis that can occur with the same kind of diets can be very dangerous for diabetics, people with hypertension or people with kidney problems. Although this is not a quick fix rapid loss diet, one that follows American Diabetic Association protocol is much less stress in the long run on your body as well as teaches you some modifications. Talk to a reputable nutritionist before going on any of these please.

I would not consider eating whole grains, lots of vegetables, fruit, lean protein, low fat dairy, legumes and lots of water, not to mention very little sugar a "fad" diet. If it didn't have a name like "The South Beach Diet", I'm sure you would consider this a very healthy way of eating.

Berry
RE: South Beach Diet - Fri, 02/13/04 2:27 PM
To those of you who are thinking about doing SB you will get over wanting the bad carbs and you will feel good about it. If you are on Atkins and thinking that you should Change over to SB you whould. You get to eat a bigger and better veriety of veggies and some fruites Just with the large amounts of veggies it is healthier for you and the lean meats instead of the bacon and sausage etc. You will lose weight and feel good and be healthy too.
Good Luck

Sundancer7
RE: South Beach Diet - Fri, 02/13/04 4:52 PM
The Sundancer just got back from the doctor . The reason was to check Cholestrol. The reason I wanted to do this was because I have been doing Atkins for five months.

Cholestrol went from 280 to 180 and Blood pressure went from 160/100 to 130/80. I am down about 35 pounds and I feel pretty good about myself.

I realize that there are many questions about any diet. I have seen negative things written about all. Perhaps it comes down to what works for you. My personal MD advised against it but today he indicated that the results I am seeing was good.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Sundancer7
RE: South Beach Diet - Fri, 02/13/04 7:30 PM
I will continue this diet until results yield unfavorible results. At this point it looks OK but the minute it looks different, I will stop

Paul e. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Sundancer7
RE: South Beach Diet - Fri, 02/13/04 7:32 PM
I will continue this diet until results yield unfavorible results. At this point it looks OK but the minute it looks different, I will stop

Paul e. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Spudnut
  • Total Posts : 655
RE: South Beach Diet - Fri, 02/13/04 7:38 PM
Congratulations, Sundancer. My doctor proscribed a number of vitamins and diet changes in lieu of Lipitor, and my cholesterol has gone, so far, from 248 to 207. I'm actually about to start a diet (sorry for using the word here) to get rid of a pesky 10 pounds, and in lieu of Atkins -- which I did a couple of years ago -- I'm going to try South Beach. By the way, I lost 12 pounds on Atkins and only gained two back. I just never lost as much as I wanted.

Sundancer7
RE: South Beach Diet - Fri, 02/13/04 8:01 PM
Phil J: Way to go !!!! In my opinion there is no way to go but what works for you. Others may say that what they have is the best but only you know what works in your situation. The same goes for me.

I am not in to the looking good thing, All I care about is the health thing. I am working on it and it appears you are also. Good luck to you and others that want to achieve good health.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 60 of 103