Roadfood tour of Wisconsin, where to eat?

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Author
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10494
Re:Roadfood tour of Wisconsin, where to eat? 2010/03/03 13:37:50 (permalink)
mjgilbert-
Welcome to Roadfood!  Thanks for the suggestion and Mickey Lu's will be visited for sure.
mamaduck43
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 191
Re:Roadfood tour of Wisconsin, where to eat? 2010/03/05 21:46:19 (permalink)
Julia I

OK, it isn't a restaurant, but I would like to put in a word for Konop's Meat Market in Stangelville WI (OK, technically in Denmark WI), not far off I43 south of Green Bay. They are known for great beef jerky and I love their spicy summer sausage. But my family's favorite is their hot dogs. They are long and skinny and look a little like miniature summer sausages, with coarsely ground meat. The casing cracks when you take that first bite, allowing their wonderful flavor to flood your mouth. Mmm! We'll buy several 10-pound packages at a time and freeze them.

My daughter and I are heading there tomorrow morning - - primarily for hotdogs, but I want to try their other sausages, too....  I will report in afterwards.... 
mamaduck43
Cheeseburger
Re:Roadfood tour of Wisconsin, where to eat? 2010/03/06 14:11:28 (permalink)
OMG!!!! OMG!!!! OMG!!!!  I didn't get to go - - my daughter was running late and couldn't fetch me, but she did go with my shopping list...  She is kicking herself - - she has been living here for 7 years now and this was her first trip - - she has had Konop's weiners at fundraisers and the like, but had never been to the store - - we are already planning next week's trip.... 
I hold in my hand (making it very difficult to type) a pound of weiners - - casings and all - I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of "Dick's buns" (from Dick's market in Greenleaf) to serve them on....  We have attacked the beef stick - mild - a wonderfully seasoned snack; the zippy summer sausage - - the counterman kept warning her that it is really spicy!!!!  We got the garlic added one....  It is tasty, well seasoned and it does have an after heat that is intriguing, but not overpowering....  The best jerky I have ever tasted was purchased with my son in law in mind...  I had a teeny taste, and the rest was delivered to him at work - - I truly doubt that any will make it back home...  Fantastic.... 
My daughter was overwhelmed by the variety available in the store...  I cannot wait until next week, and I promise that I will have batteries in the camera..... 
Now, I just have to get to Basil's II to feel like I have really settled in here in Wisconsin..... 
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3174
Re:Roadfood tour of Wisconsin, where to eat? 2010/03/06 18:12:39 (permalink)
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2767
Re:Roadfood tour of Wisconsin, where to eat? 2010/03/26 18:59:01 (permalink)
Cliff,

Bobbi & I finally made it to Frank's Diner today.  We think it is a must stop on your tour. 

We shared the biscuits and gravy as an appetizer.

Cinnamon French toast for our next course.

And polished off the full garbage plate for our entree.  Before...

And after...

Frank's is also just a close drive to any of Racine's finest kringle bakers.  Top to bottom: O&H Danish Bakery; Larsen Bakery; Bendtsen's Bakery.

And the winner is Bendtsen's!  We both preferred Bendtsen's, mainly because of their crispy pastry - almost pie-like in texture.
BelRose
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 65
Re:Roadfood tour of Wisconsin, where to eat? 2010/04/09 15:24:21 (permalink)
KingT

Wells Brothers (Racine, WI) 
Monk's Bar and Grill (Wisconsin Dells, WI) burgers

On a road trip from DC to Milwaukee last summer for the Wisconsin State Fair, we stopped along the way to try pizza in various cities.  We had great Neapolitan in Pittsburgh (Il Pizzaiolo) and Chicago (Sapore di Napoli), very good coal fired Apizza in Farmington Hills (Tomatoes), Michigan, horrible deep dish in Chicago (Gino’s East), but while not the very best pizza of the trip, the pie at Well’s Brothers was the only one that I would want to eat every week. 
I would second Monk’s original location, and hold the onions; they are good, but just overpower the burger.

mamaduck43
Cheeseburger
Re:Roadfood tour of Wisconsin, where to eat? 2010/05/01 21:37:31 (permalink)
Finally, I got to Basils II in Fontnoy, near Denmark, WI  today...  Had a double cheeseburger and the five of us shared sides (paper-lined plastic baskets) of cheese curds, potato wedges, onion rings and shoestring potatoes...  The cheese curds were fresh and lightly battered - superlative...  The potato wedges came with a packet of sour cream and, curiously, a tub with a couple Tbs. of butter in a chunk.  The onion rings were crunchy and tasty and the shoestring fries were shoestrings fries....
The burgers are wrapped in double layered butcher paper..  They looked kind of disappointing at first view - cut in half already and dressed with mustard, fresh diced onions, tasty dill chips and when I grabbed the bun it was kind of hard on the crust side...  Found out that was from being buttered and toasted on the grill...  On the table sat catsup, mustard, mayo and salt/pepper...  The burger was perfect as served...  Charcoal grilled and the meld of cheese/burger/toppings was enhanced by being squeezed in the bun with the wrapping paper...  I will never be happy with a burger bought anywhere else!!!!  Amazing!!!
And the total bill, with sodas, for 5 of us was $42.55 - - Service was good - order at the bar and you are directed to a table when your burgers hit the grill.... 
We shall return.........
post edited by mamaduck43 - 2010/05/02 12:42:12
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
Re:Roadfood tour of Wisconsin, where to eat? 2010/05/01 22:39:26 (permalink)
Sometimes a simple preparation is the best.
And in the middle of nowhere really.
mamaduck43
Cheeseburger
Re:Roadfood tour of Wisconsin, where to eat? 2010/05/01 23:30:06 (permalink)
MilwFoodlovers

Sometimes a simple preparation is the best.
And in the middle of nowhere really.

I live less than 5 miles from there - - today was probably not the best day to visit Basils II, since it was the town of Denmark annual rummage sale - - so there was a lot of extra business going on all over the place, but even with that, the service was timely and the food the stuff that dreams are made of..... 

MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
Re:Roadfood tour of Wisconsin, where to eat? 2010/05/01 23:53:09 (permalink)
Our good friends live on Devil's River Road in Maribel. Lot's of good eating along the lake from Green Bay to Milwaukee. I heard the pork chop sandwich and walleye are good at Basil's II but when I go, I have to have a double cheeseburger too. Did you move here from Colorado Springs?
mamaduck43
Cheeseburger
Re:Roadfood tour of Wisconsin, where to eat? 2010/05/02 12:50:42 (permalink)
MilwFoodlovers

Our good friends live on Devil's River Road in Maribel. Lot's of good eating along the lake from Green Bay to Milwaukee. I heard the pork chop sandwich and walleye are good at Basil's II but when I go, I have to have a double cheeseburger too. Did you move here from Colorado Springs?

Yep - - my daughter and her gang live in New Denmark - - I had visited a bunch of times and last July, I made a spur of the moment decision to move here...  I live in Denmark and I am proud to say I survived my first Wisconsin winter...  Of course, I don't go out and about unless I really need to, so it was nice watching the winter go by from my apartment windows... 
With all of the good eats around here, I am kinda like a kid in a candy shop with a quarter in my pocket...  What to do, what to do???   Konop's wieners, Dick's buns Suster's broasted chicken and fish and chips platters and now Basil's II burgers -- - I think I have found a chunk of heaven on earth..... 

buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10494
Re:Roadfood tour of Wisconsin, where to eat? 2010/05/18 14:05:15 (permalink)
I'm starting to get serious about planning my trip.  The amount of info and worthwhile tips in this thread is staggering.  It would take me the rest of the Summer just to put a dent into it!  Thanks to everyone for their contributions.

Any opinions on Sweetie Pie's in Fish Creek, Door County?
stricken_detective
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2346
Re:Roadfood tour of Wisconsin, where to eat? 2010/05/18 17:41:54 (permalink)
The Cookery is great, not sure about Sweetie Pie's.
ayersian
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 903
Re:Roadfood tour of Wisconsin, where to eat? 2010/05/18 19:15:30 (permalink)
JRPfeff
buffetbuster - Since you will be near the WI-MI border and possibly in the UP, you will definitely have to stop for pasties.  A favorite from the 2009 Ayersian World Eating Tour was Dobber's Pasties (also featured in 500 Things to Eat Before It's Too Late).

JRPfeff, you're hilarious!  Thanks for the plug above, but we missed a tremendous amount of RF, of course.  I still think about those pasties from Dobber's, however...every day, actually, as the little pasty magnet I bought there is stuck to my fridge.  And by the way, Amy & I will make it to your house for the annual piefest...some day.  We do talk about it frequently!    Chris

JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:Roadfood tour of Wisconsin, where to eat? 2010/05/19 20:52:06 (permalink)
ayersian

And by the way, Amy & I will make it to your house for the annual piefest...some day.  We do talk about it frequently!    Chris

Chris,

If Bobbi sees that it is now Piefest, I will never hear the end of it.

Speaking of pies, there's a great rundown of pies at the Norske Nook by one of our new Roadfooders.  Drool away.

Jim
stricken_detective
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2346
Re:Roadfood tour of Wisconsin, where to eat? 2010/05/20 11:16:40 (permalink)
JRPfeff If Bobbi sees that it is now Piefest, I will never hear the end of it.

It'll be our little secret...on the internet.
KenK
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 143
Re:Roadfood tour of Wisconsin, where to eat? 2010/05/22 19:52:17 (permalink)
We stopped in Dino's in Dodgeville a couple years back, after checking this site for a good Wisconsin fish fry.

Fish Fry -- Classic Wisconsin

The bad news was  was the fact that we stopped on a non friday, which was not the fish fry night

The good news was the lunch we had the day we stopped. Great food, fun filled wait staff, and wonderful Roadfood atmosphere, complete with wooden floor.

Next stop.... has to be on a friday night.

Dinos of Dodgeville

Definitely worth the drive, IMO.

Wintahaba
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 125
Re:Roadfood tour of Wisconsin, where to eat? 2012/11/29 09:33:03 (permalink)
Dragging up an older thread, but seeing the header page of Lawry's in Chicago made me laugh about the cost of dining in big name restaurants. In Appleton we have a slew of surrounding Supper Clubs that put out great quality "old school" fare for a fraction of the cost of the big brands. Our hands down favorite is Dick and Joan's 220 Supper Club where a great King Cut of 14-16oz Prime Rib is 19.25 and I swear (I've been in the biz all my life) is never less than 20oz. Included is of course the potato and fresh bread + the salad bar (port wine cheese/liver spread/+ the usual fresh veggie suspects)...of course because this is a Wisconsin Supper Club. :) I really do not like salad bars, but what makes D&J's different is the Hot Bacon Dressing! No, not a little side as a dressing choice, but a heated crock pot of 75% chopped bacon in a tangy vinegar dressing w/ a big ladle. Sinfully indulgent. My wife loves the NY Strip (12-14 oz) for 18.50. This steak reminds me of the dark clubby restaurants my parents would take us to on special occasions and the steak was "SEASONED" and had great charred beefy flavor. We are also lucky to have The Heiting Place, The Red Ox, and about a dozen or so others. When you have these local places it is hard to justify the $ spent at the big names...and yes, I have done so at Morton's, Capitol Grille, Fleming's (my fav among the "names") etc., but especially in these times, I'll take a Supper Club anytime. True jewels.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5215
Re:Roadfood tour of Wisconsin, where to eat? 2012/11/29 10:42:36 (permalink)
Wintahaba, have you ever been to Out-O-Town?  I've driven past it a few times and it definitely looks interesting.

I see that Dick & Joan's isn't far at all from my end-of-January Appleton destination, and that it opens at 4:30 pm on Fridays.  I just might have to check it out, and The Red Ox might be a possibility, too.
post edited by ScreamingChicken - 2012/11/29 11:03:06
Wintahaba
Cheeseburger
Re:Roadfood tour of Wisconsin, where to eat? 2012/11/29 10:54:15 (permalink)
SC,  No, I have never been, but I have heard good things about it..always seems busy when I pass by also. BTW, D&J's also does a great Friday Fish Fry (Duh?) and one of the bartenders butterflies the Perch earlier in the morning. Prime Rib only on Sat/Sun though.
The Red Ox is very good also...They have a few nights when they bring in FRESH oysters...unique for around here. I can fill my "missing Maine and the East Coast" and get my Raw Bar fix. 
post edited by Wintahaba - 2012/11/29 11:24:55
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:Roadfood tour of Wisconsin, where to eat? 2012/11/29 22:09:11 (permalink)
Wintahaba,

How is the fishfry at the 220 Supper Club

And I'll bet you can knock back Old Fashioned's all night for the price of a cocktail at that big city place.

Jim
Wintahaba
Cheeseburger
Re:Roadfood tour of Wisconsin, where to eat? 2012/11/30 08:55:56 (permalink)
Jim, The D&J's fish fry is excellent, they are very good when it comes to fryer maintenance (my pet peeve) and w/ the top tier seafood platter they includes frog legs...a true throwback. As far as the Old Fashioned's, they are pouring them either sweet or savory (and they know what each long time guest wants) like they are going out of style....a TRUE mark of a Wisconsin Supper Club...the bar is always packed. You are also correct in the pricing...amazing. You must also finish your evening w/ a pink squirrel or a grasshopper, to which I have them add a touch of Baileys, to complete the visit. BTW, this restaurant was our 1st foray into Wisconsin Supper Club experience years ago when we first moved here. Being from the East Coast we were perplexed when we saw no Host Stand (?) and were confused. We sat at the bar (when we could finally get a stool) and asked one of the 3 very busy bartenders what the heck do we do? She said have a drink, ask for a menu, and when you are ready to order tell me. We perused the menu and said I guess we are ready...she gets on this phone (at the end of the bar) and then you hear "waitress to the bar". Many servers are about w/ order pads and the bartender points to us, and a waitress comes up to take our order. When we are finished she says I will come and get you when your table is ready. Around 40+ Minutes later (it was a pre Packer Saturday night) she says table 24 is yours, help yourself to the soup and salad bar. Bread  and water were already on the table and just as salads were almost finished, comes our piping hot NY Steak and Prime Rib. It was excellent and I was amazed at how well timed and coordinated the whole process was. The staff who have worked together for years knew how to gauge the level of bar interaction and keep the tables full and flowing at all times. After that we were SOLD and at one point (better financial times) we went either Friday or Saturday every week for a few years. We truly loved the time at the bar pre-dinner (not just because of the drinks) for the constant flow of interesting people of all ages who would always provide great conversation and insight into the fabric of the area. The thing that is so different about Supper Clubs is that it is a generation/loyalty thing. The great grandparents went, then the grandparents, then the parents, and now the children who are bringing their children...it is almost like a private club. A very UNIQUE and ENJOYABLE experience. Please excuse my long rant...Chris 
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8662
Re:Roadfood tour of Wisconsin, where to eat? 2012/11/30 09:54:24 (permalink)
I have two favorite supper clubs( as described by Wintahaba) Five OClock Club in Milwaukee( their filets are fabulous) and The Corner House in Racine( prime rib is to die for) TheCorner House has an adge, as they have appetizers on the bar while you wait for your table. However, both are great people watching places-different walks of life -from the younger generation who have discovered great steaks-to us frequent guests who just love everything about the place!

Wintahaba
Cheeseburger
Re:Roadfood tour of Wisconsin, where to eat? 2012/11/30 10:17:40 (permalink)
Ann, That is the great thing about Supper Clubs....everybody has their favorites for specific unique reasons. I love hearing what makes each one special to an individual.
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:Roadfood tour of Wisconsin, where to eat? 2012/11/30 11:52:08 (permalink)
Chris,

Your story about the unique ordering system is reminiscent of Machut's in Two Rivers.  They have the "Number System" where you order at the bar, too.  We sat there for a half hour on our first visit before we figured out we had to order at the bar.  When the table is ready, a number lights up telling patrons to head into the restaurant.

Jim
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5215
Re:Roadfood tour of Wisconsin, where to eat? 2012/11/30 12:33:39 (permalink)
We went to the Stagecoach Inn (north of Milton on Hwy. 26) last Friday and I think they do roughly the same thing.  The table next to us was reset and soon 2 plates of food appeared, followed by the diners whose orders had been taken while waiting in the bar.
Wintahaba
Cheeseburger
Re:Roadfood tour of Wisconsin, where to eat? 2012/11/30 13:34:06 (permalink)
After we had tried D&J's, we went to a few more and they almost all did it that way, now some have changed to a more traditional style (like the Red Ox and Mark's East Side) dining service. BTW, Mark's has excellent German food (+ fresh fish and Supper Club fare also) and has been around as a restaurant since 1948...owned by Mark's Dad (since the 1960's) before...check out the web site...Mark is very nice gentleman and runs a fine restaurant.  Chris
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:Roadfood tour of Wisconsin, where to eat? 2012/11/30 20:26:02 (permalink)
Five O Clock Club does the pre ordering thing-you check in with the hostess, she sends a waitress over-you order. When your table is ready, they seat you, bring the bread, appetizer tray( love this-olives, green onions, candied apples, etc) a huge bowl of salad with 3 types of dressings. Then, the steaks!

MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
Re:Roadfood tour of Wisconsin, where to eat? 2012/12/01 17:39:55 (permalink)
We're celebrating a good friend's 60th birthday at the 5 O'Clock Club this coming Tuesday, Dec. 4th.
ann peeples
Sirloin
Re:Roadfood tour of Wisconsin, where to eat? 2012/12/01 23:26:00 (permalink)
Awesome, MFL!Just love the ambiance of that place. Funny, as they now charge extra for a baked potato, I just dont miss them. They were huge!Have fun!
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1