That BEST cup of Coffee???

leethebard
  • Total Posts : 6067
  • Reward points : 0
That BEST cup of Coffee??? - Tue, 02/2/10 11:02 AM
Found this article from "consumers" on Yahoo. Imagine..."no Coffee" tested better than "good"...I'm a Gevalia person and have been for 10 years or so...it's a bit expensive...but it's my one main indulgence...I love my morning 3 cups or so...and never found a store bramd that was consistantly good...Gevalia has many types and I like to change off.....I also belong to their limited edition exotic blends which comes every every three months..they're great too...and the free $100 coffee maker is fine...in 10 years they've three times updated my coffee pot free of charge...also their christmas catalog takes care of some family gifts.
     Do you agree with the article...any brands you've tried that you would label better than good?? Hell, they even gave Starbucks a "good" only (which I'd agree with)
            Comments?????

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100202/lf_nm_life/us_coffee_consumerreport_blends

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17795
Re:That BEST cup of Coffee??? - Tue, 02/2/10 11:10 AM
I'm a coffee snob. I want my coffee in some sort of a cup -- unless, of course, I'm drinking iced coffee, and then I want it in some sort of a glass.

RedJim64
  • Total Posts : 128
Re:That BEST cup of Coffee??? - Tue, 02/2/10 11:37 AM
I perk the h*ll out of Kroger Columbian ground coffee during the week. Makes it bold.

Weekends we either have Caribou Obsidian or Starbucks Sumatra delivered via french press.  

Mosca
  • Total Posts : 2929
Re:That BEST cup of Coffee??? - Tue, 02/2/10 11:56 AM
A co-worker brought back 3lbs of coffee from the Dominican Republic; excellent. The beans were still oily, so it hadn't been sitting around a warehouse for 6 months.

Consumer Reports, picking the cream of the average, like always.

1bbqboy
  • Total Posts : 4542
Re:That BEST cup of Coffee??? - Tue, 02/2/10 12:03 PM

David_NYC
  • Total Posts : 2162
Re:That BEST cup of Coffee??? - Tue, 02/2/10 12:51 PM
TheStreet published the names of the top 10 regular and top 10 decaf coffees 'consumers' tested. It should also be noted that for the March, 2010 report, they only tested blended coffees. I would have thought they would have tried to find at least one 'excellent' blend, unless they are using one standard for both single variety and blended beans.

Davydd
  • Total Posts : 6222
Re:That BEST cup of Coffee??? - Tue, 02/2/10 1:40 PM
It goes without saying. The reason for blends is to cheapen the coffee. By definition it should not be excellent IMO.

santacruz
  • Total Posts : 372
Re:That BEST cup of Coffee??? - Tue, 02/9/10 3:26 PM
My favorite cup of Coffee is one of the first highlights of my day.  I start with cold spring water start boiling it, I then grind my beans Peets French Roast.  Once the water is boiling I take two #4 Brown filters and put them into my Mellita filter basket, pour in the coffee over the filters then the water.  Fill cup 3/4 from top add one tablespoon real Maple Syrup and top with Half and Half.  You can make two cups from the coffee.

Peets is a local bay area roaster, it is an Excellent brand.  If I can't get Peets I will sub with Tully's or Seattles Best.

Pigiron
  • Total Posts : 1384
Re:That BEST cup of Coffee??? - Tue, 02/9/10 3:52 PM
I get fresh roasted French Mocha Java beans from Porto Rico Importing Company in St. Mark's Place (a few blocks from home) and store in an airtight container in a cabinet.  When I want a fresh cup, I grind the beans, boil the water, steep in a French Press.  The whole process takes 7 minutes and I better cup of coffee than I've ever had anywhere.  Costs about 4 cents a mug. 

Pigiron
Re:That BEST cup of Coffee??? - Tue, 02/9/10 3:54 PM
santacruz

My favorite cup of Coffee is one of the first highlights of my day.  I start with cold spring water start boiling it, I then grind my beans Peets French Roast.  Once the water is boiling I take two #4 Brown filters and put them into my Mellita filter basket, pour in the coffee over the filters then the water.  Fill cup 3/4 from top add one tablespoon real Maple Syrup and top with Half and Half.  You can make two cups from the coffee. 

You had my interest until the words "maple syrup". 

Tony Bad
  • Total Posts : 5114
Re:That BEST cup of Coffee??? - Tue, 02/9/10 4:01 PM
Pigiron

I get fresh roasted French Mocha Java beans from Porto Rico Importing Company in St. Mark's Place (a few blocks from home) and store in an airtight container in a cabinet.  When I want a fresh cup, I grind the beans, boil the water, steep in a French Press.  The whole process takes 7 minutes and I better cup of coffee than I've ever had anywhere.  Costs about 4 cents a mug. 

Great coffee and well priced as well. I used to hit the original store on Bleeker when I worked in the area, but now do mail order. My favorite is Costa Rican. 

the grillman
  • Total Posts : 624
Re:That BEST cup of Coffee??? - Tue, 02/9/10 6:18 PM
I put some Folgers' into a  Mr. Coffee drip coffee maker and add tap water.  Turn on the machine, in about 5 minutes, you'll have my morning coffee.

Serve it black, of course.

What's all the fuss with special beans, water, coffee makers, etc?   I can get all misty over the nuances of different regional types of barbecue, pizzas, who has the best peach pie, etc, but to me, just about all coffee is coffee.

Pigiron
Re:That BEST cup of Coffee??? - Tue, 02/9/10 7:18 PM
stlouisguy

What's all the fuss with special beans, water, coffee makers, etc?  

Taste.

cavandre
  • Total Posts : 1597
Re:That BEST cup of Coffee??? - Tue, 02/9/10 7:53 PM
Pigiron

stlouisguy

What's all the fuss with special beans, water, coffee makers, etc?  

Taste.

First thing in the morning, I'm looking for the caffeine!

Tony Bad
  • Total Posts : 5114
Re:That BEST cup of Coffee??? - Tue, 02/9/10 8:48 PM
stlouisguy

to me, just about all coffee is coffee. 

Beans from different parts of the world taste different. 

How they are roasted makes them taste different. 

Some people prefer one taste to another.

Tastytoo
  • Total Posts : 271
Re:That BEST cup of Coffee??? - Tue, 02/9/10 8:52 PM
Occasionally I'll drink black coffee at home. We rotate brands. I think they bought the Safeway brand this time. If they buy a brand that isn't as good to me tastewise, I doctor it  by adding cinnamon to the grounds. I've saved many a lesser brands that way. I like it with milk and honey. It is one of the few times I can tolerate skim milk.

Dunkin Donuts used to have great coffee but must have changed brands.

I like the hazelnut coffee at Panera and the vanilla coffee at Sweet Tomatoes.

I never did like Starbucks.

I'd like to find a nice mom and pop place that serve delicious unflavored/specialty coffees as well as special brews.

It has been awhile so I don't know if they still have it but Gloria Jean's had a mint chocolate bomb coffee I really enjoyed.

leethebard
Re:That BEST cup of Coffee??? - Wed, 02/10/10 1:31 AM
My morning coffee has to be a quality plain coffee, no added flavors, syrups etc....once in a blue moon,at night, a flavored coffee, as a dessert or such, but I have to have regular coffee for my wake up call in the morning!!!

Pogo
  • Total Posts : 269
Re:That BEST cup of Coffee??? - Wed, 02/10/10 7:04 AM
I guess I'm a coffee snob. I buy green coffee beans from all over the world and roast them in the coffee roaster I made myself. I use a Bunn coffee maker that I modified to slow down the brewing time, and I filter my water. My coffee is ground seconds before I brew it. If you've got a crappy coffee brewer, I can see how you cant appreciate the nuances of really fine coffee. You just cant bring out all the flavors in a cheap coffee maker with cheap, stale coffee not freshly ground.

I strongly recommend you purchase your coffee beans from a small local roaster. You can Google "Your State, coffee roaster" and find one near you that will send by mail. Of course, change "your state" to the name of the state you're living in.
I highly recommend, Intelligentsia, Counter Culture, Blue Smoke, coffee roasters online. You'll be sent freshly roasted coffee.

leethebard
Re:That BEST cup of Coffee??? - Wed, 02/10/10 9:57 AM
wow....I'm impressed Pogo...you're a true coffee fan...wish I had the time to try to roast my own,,,sounds great...is the difference very obvious?

mbrookes
  • Total Posts : 1350
Re:That BEST cup of Coffee??? - Thu, 02/11/10 2:42 PM
I think the method of brewing is almost as important as the bean. We use an old drip pot (boil the water, pour into the top section and it drips through little holes onto the ground coffee in the second section. Coffee collects in the bottom.) Never boil coffee ond never never use a percolator.

The coffee we use is Community blend with chicory. I love it!

enginecapt
  • Total Posts : 3486
Re:That BEST cup of Coffee??? - Thu, 02/11/10 3:17 PM
Older Bunn brewer, warming plate switched off.

Filtered tap water.

Freshly ground beans, usually a blend of some of the following: Sumatran, Mexican Alto, Rwandan, Ethiopian peaberry or Tanzanian peaberry, and blended by yours truly. The roast is dark, usually French or Italian, sometimes all the way to Spanish. The peaberry beans are roasted to what's known as full city roast.

The brewed coffee is immediately transferred into a pre-heated thermal carafe.

When I drink commercial coffee, I prefer Folgers Black Silk.

wanderingjew
  • Total Posts : 7379
Re:That BEST cup of Coffee??? - Tue, 02/23/10 8:19 AM
stlouisguy

I put some Folgers' into a  Mr. Coffee drip coffee maker and add tap water.  Turn on the machine, in about 5 minutes, you'll have my morning coffee.

And there you have it!- Hot tap water with food coloring

stlouisguy

What's all the fuss with special beans, water, coffee makers, etc?   I can get all misty over the nuances of different regional types of barbecue, pizzas, who has the best peach pie, etc, but to me, just about all coffee is coffee.

Just like some don't get the fuss of finding the best Pizza-just go to Pizza Hut or Dominos. Pizza is pizza- right??

joerogo
  • Total Posts : 4462
Re:That BEST cup of Coffee??? - Tue, 02/23/10 8:41 AM
Along with great beans, you need a great coffee maker.  I believe 200 degrees is the temp necessary to extract the maximum flavor from the beans.

NYPIzzaNut
  • Total Posts : 3127
Re:That BEST cup of Coffee??? - Tue, 02/23/10 10:44 AM
wanderingjew

stlouisguy

stlouisguy

Just like some don't get the fuss of finding the best Pizza-just go to Pizza Hut or Dominos. Pizza is pizza- right??
Wha-aaaaaaaaat????!

wanderingjew
Re:That BEST cup of Coffee??? - Tue, 02/23/10 10:49 AM
NYPIzzaNut

wanderingjew

stlouisguy

stlouisguy

Wha-aaaaaaaaat????!

Actually the "pizza is pizza" quote was directly from my old coworkers when I lived in Seattle. They ordered pizza from Pizza Hut for the office and I opted not to have any. They asked why, and I explained that I didn't like it and prefered the Pizza I grew up with in New York. My coworkers didn't understand and one of them replied that "pizza is pizza" and I retorted with "and coffee is coffee" with THAT comment, after a couple of gasps the whole room fell dead silent!

NYPIzzaNut
  • Total Posts : 3127
Re:That BEST cup of Coffee??? - Thu, 07/1/10 7:17 AM
wanderingjew

NYPIzzaNut

wanderingjew

stlouisguy

stlouisguy

Wha-aaaaaaaaat????!

Actually the "pizza is pizza" quote was directly from my old coworkers when I lived in Seattle. They ordered pizza from Pizza Hut for the office and I opted not to have any. They asked why, and I explained that I didn't like it and prefered the Pizza I grew up with in New York. My coworkers didn't understand and one of them replied that "pizza is pizza" and I retorted with "and coffee is coffee" with THAT comment, after a couple of gasps the whole room fell dead silent!

I missed your clarification the first time around.  Thanks.

MiamiDon
  • Total Posts : 4306
Re:That BEST cup of Coffee??? - Thu, 07/1/10 9:28 AM
leethebard

wow....I'm impressed Pogo...you're a true coffee fan...wish I had the time to try to roast my own,,,sounds great...is the difference very obvious?

Lee, coffee beans start losing flavor after roasting, so either finding a local roaster, or a mail-order outfit that will dependably send you recently roasted beans is important for top flavor.  Needless to say, after grinding the flavor loss is accelerated.

kaszeta
  • Total Posts : 654
Re:That BEST cup of Coffee??? - Thu, 07/1/10 1:11 PM
wanderingjew

Nice story.  One of my former coworkers here would regularly say "coffee is coffee", "a hot dog is a hot dog", "a burger is a burger", and "pizza is pizza".  All of which were known to get me worked up....

Rick F.
  • Total Posts : 1736
Re:That BEST cup of Coffee??? - Thu, 07/1/10 1:31 PM
Try telling your wife that women are women, or something more explicit. . . .

enginecapt
Re:That BEST cup of Coffee??? - Thu, 07/1/10 1:46 PM
After you.

Pogo
  • Total Posts : 269
Re:That BEST cup of Coffee??? - Thu, 07/1/10 4:28 PM
For those of you unwilling to pay the price for artisanal roasted beans, or roasting your own..... Mello Joy Coffee in the "Between Roast" is my standby. Has a rich chocolatey/caramel flavor and a huge velvety body. Google "Mello Joy" to get to their site and order a bag or two or six. It even tastes good when made with a cheap coffee machine.

bethgrd
  • Total Posts : 320
Re:That BEST cup of Coffee??? - Thu, 07/1/10 4:38 PM
Love Starbucks Espresso , made in a regular drip coffeemaker.
with fat free half and half.
yum

wanderingjew
Re:That BEST cup of Coffee??? - Thu, 07/1/10 4:46 PM
bethgrd

Love Starbucks Espresso , made in a regular drip coffeemaker.
with fat free half and half.
yum

Beth, there's got to be some good local independent coffee houses near you.

enginecapt
Re:That BEST cup of Coffee??? - Thu, 07/1/10 5:15 PM
There were two excellent independents in Fontana when I moved here 6 years ago. Alas, they couldn't hold their ground in the face of the friggin buxmonster saturating the market by opening stores within line of sight of each other.

Davydd
  • Total Posts : 6222
Re:That BEST cup of Coffee??? - Thu, 07/1/10 7:46 PM
We only buy whole bean coffee and burr grind it just before making a pot of coffee. We vary our purchases greatly depending on the mood we are in when we buy the beans. There are so many variables in making a good pot of coffee that one could take the best beans in the world and mess it up.

Sundancer7
  • Total Posts : 13385
Re:That BEST cup of Coffee??? - Thu, 07/1/10 8:14 PM
Starbucks  has always been over roasted to my personal taste.  I know that many of you enjoy their product.  My evalauation is my personal taste only.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

ces1948
  • Total Posts : 1499
Re:That BEST cup of Coffee??? - Thu, 07/1/10 8:56 PM
I really like my morning coffee but I don't think I'm willing to go to the lengths some of you do. 

db1105
  • Total Posts : 185
Re:That BEST cup of Coffee??? - Mon, 07/5/10 8:10 PM
I buy green coffee beans and roast them in one of those old hot air popcorn poppers. I've used and Italian roast/espresso blend so I don't have to worry about over roasting the beans. I grind them fresh and brew in a french press. It is some good coffee!