Hot!Cake or Pie ??? The Ultimate Debate

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Cheeseburger
2010/02/03 08:03:00
While sitting around waiting for an email to come yesterday some fellow work buddies and I started a discussion about which we would rather have cake or pie?

We overwhelmingly decided that we would all choose pie over cake most days of the week. Too many things can go wrong with cake although pie can seemingly be overcome by 1 part of it, whether it be the crust or the filling.

So I pose the question to you: pie or cake? And what kind?

My vote goes for pie and coconut cream pie.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Cake or Pie ??? The Ultimate Debate 2010/02/03 08:23:26
Although cakes can be rather wonderful, I am a pie guy!  And my favorite flavor is banana cream.
MetsLegacy
Junior Burger
Re:Cake or Pie ??? The Ultimate Debate 2010/02/03 15:41:02
Cake all the way for me. I only like pie when there is sweet potato involved or a pudding/frozen yogurt. Not a fan of apple, banana, blueberry, cherry or pumpkin pie.

leethebard
Sirloin
Re:Cake or Pie ??? The Ultimate Debate 2010/02/03 16:11:14
                                             pie...if homemade.....cake if store bought!
Davydd
Sirloin
Re:Cake or Pie ??? The Ultimate Debate 2010/02/03 16:24:07
I'm a pie man. I get minced meat pie for my birthday instead of cake. That started because my family always resisted minced meat pie at Thanksgiving and Christmas so I insisted on it for my birthday on December 30th.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Cake or Pie ??? The Ultimate Debate 2010/02/03 16:51:53
Any Mennonite fruit pie will do it for me.
the grillman
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Cake or Pie ??? The Ultimate Debate 2010/02/03 17:51:15
Pie is the way to go.  I get peach or blackberry pie made for me each year on my birthday by both mother and mother-in-law.  Life is good.

My preferences, in order

peach pie
blackberry pie
sour cherry pie
apple pie
pumpkin pie
pecan pie
rhubarb pie
blueberry pie
key lime pie
lemon meringue
egg custard pie
mincemeat pie
gooseberry pie
sweet potato pie
chocolate pie
strawberry pie

don't care for banana  or coconut pie

Cake is so, common.  Pie is where it's at!

tiki
Filet Mignon
Re:Cake or Pie ??? The Ultimate Debate 2010/02/03 18:19:30
You have obviously never seen my dessert plate!!!---Both please---Carrot cake--fruit pie---and a scoop of vanilla on both,please!

post edited by tiki - 2010/02/03 18:20:39
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Cake or Pie ??? The Ultimate Debate 2010/02/03 18:39:41
If the carrot cake is great it would overrule most pies!
lunamoth
Junior Burger
Re:Cake or Pie ??? The Ultimate Debate 2010/02/03 18:51:08
PIE!!!!! grape pie, cherry pie, cranberry nut pie....
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Cake or Pie ??? The Ultimate Debate 2010/02/03 19:00:40
I never heard of grape pie!
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Cake or Pie ??? The Ultimate Debate 2010/02/03 19:43:01
I'm a Pie Guy! Apple, Punkin, Chess, Pecan, Blackberry and any other kind you can get in a 9" Pie Pan.

So--Here's the question of the Day--- With so many people preferring Pies-----How come there's all those STUPID CAKE SHOWS on Food Network-- Huh?? Answer me that! Why ain't there no PIE SHOWS on there other than the once a year Pillsbury Bake-Off?
So Who Cares if you can build a 7 foot tall cake that looks like Yao Ming and then you drop it moving it from one table to another??? I mean Who Cares?????
Here's Pie in your Eye!!
Soccer862923
Cheeseburger
Re:Cake or Pie ??? The Ultimate Debate 2010/02/03 21:54:49
Don't get me wrong I love me some cake too! At their peak I think that Carrot Cake and Red Velvet surpass pie for me in general but most of the time I end up being disappointed and wish I had gotten a piece of pie instead.
ynotryme
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Cake or Pie ??? The Ultimate Debate 2010/02/03 22:59:49
It would depend what kind of cake or pie. I would chose Italian rum cake or Devil's food with homemade vaniila butter cream frosting over pie but any other kind and I would choose pie.
doggydaddy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Cake or Pie ??? The Ultimate Debate 2010/02/03 23:04:32

Boston cream pie. The best of both worlds.
After that, it is chocolate cake with ice cream.

mark

6star
Filet Mignon
Re:Cake or Pie ??? The Ultimate Debate 2010/02/04 01:00:33
Foodbme

I'm a Pie Guy! Apple, Punkin, Chess, Pecan, Blackberry and any other kind you can get in a 9" Pie Pan.

So--Here's the question of the Day--- With so many people preferring Pies-----How come there's all those STUPID CAKE SHOWS on Food Network-- Huh?? Answer me that! Why ain't there no PIE SHOWS on there other than the once a year Pillsbury Bake-Off?
So Who Cares if you can build a 7 foot tall cake that looks like Yao Ming and then you drop it moving it from one table to another??? I mean Who Cares?????
Here's Pie in your Eye!!

I think you answered your own question about the cake shows on the Food Network.  It is much more dramatic and builds the show to a climax at the end with everyone (including viewers) wondering who might destroy their 7-foot "sculpture" before the end of the show.  The only drama with a pie is whether it will look or taste like crap (which is a lot easier to avoid, and not as easy to determine by the viewers unless one of the judges gags or makes a face).

The Food Network wants to hold their viewers to the very end of the show (through all their commericals).  This is why they have so many competition shows in  the evening any more, to keep the viewers hanging on to see who survives getting "Chopped" or who is going to be the next Food Network "Star", "Iron Chef" or "whatever".  In other words, it is the Food Network's version of the popular "Survivor".
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
Re:Cake or Pie ??? The Ultimate Debate 2010/02/04 08:26:57
A hot slice of fruit pie with a scoop of ice cream.  Mmmmmmmm.

I'm also a fan of our local favorite:  Key Lime Pie.
BelleReve
Re:Cake or Pie ??? The Ultimate Debate 2010/02/04 15:55:13
I'll take pie over cake anytime.  The same also goes for cobbler, grunt, boy bait, or what ever other name you give those fruit desserts, that have some kind of topping or a minimal amount of crust. 

Soccer862923
Cheeseburger
Re:Cake or Pie ??? The Ultimate Debate 2010/02/05 09:03:40
BelleReve

I'll take pie over cake anytime.  The same also goes for cobbler, grunt, boy bait, or what ever other name you give those fruit desserts, that have some kind of topping or a minimal amount of crust.  

Wow, I have heard the term cobbler used but never grunt or boy bait. Is that a regional thing?
Tedsrfs
Junior Burger
Re:Cake or Pie ??? The Ultimate Debate 2010/02/05 09:43:58
I think pan-dowdie is another cool word for pie type desserts.    

I liked it when restaurants used to have dessert shelves, up above the counter,  with pies lined up and slanty mirrors behind them to better show the selection. 

I like Pie.  I like rhubarb,  banana cream, lemon meringue, pecan and real cherry pie.   No canned pie fillings please.   Ted 
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
Re:Cake or Pie ??? The Ultimate Debate 2010/02/05 10:55:34
Add crisp, crunch and slump to the names
georgiagal
Junior Burger
Re:Cake or Pie ??? The Ultimate Debate 2010/02/05 11:19:51
Food Network has a fabulous show and it features a Best Pie Contest...they show it each year and your mouth will absolutely water til you have to get to the kitchen for PIE....LOL    These are great homemade pies, nothing fancy but good old down to earth fabulous pies!!!  Check it out ...... you'll appreciate the whole concept.
billyboy
Filet Mignon
Re:Cake or Pie ??? The Ultimate Debate 2010/02/05 12:23:34
"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice...I will choose freewill. " -by RUSH  Better words never spoken, Geddy & Neil! 

All I want is a slice o' pie to the left, a piece o' cake to the right with Billyboy in the middle of this "sandwich" and a fork in his hand, at the ready.
tkitna
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Cake or Pie ??? The Ultimate Debate 2010/02/06 04:11:23
Pie is my choice for the better part.

Blueberry, Peach, Apple in that order
BelleReve
Re:Cake or Pie ??? The Ultimate Debate 2010/02/06 11:16:02
Soccer - from recipes I've collected over the years, the blueberry boy bait was a recipe from Cooks Illustrated, so a guess that it originated in New England.

Foodbyme - your comments about cake reminded of a cruise I took - all these fancy, European pastries that looked pretty, but didn't have any flavor- couldn't understand why they couldn't have offered different  flavors of oies, or just a simple cobbler instead. 
ScreenBear
Re:Cake or Pie ??? The Ultimate Debate 2010/02/06 13:42:34
Given the choice between Black Forest Cake and Blueberry Cobbler, I would cheat and lie, and convince whoever it was that was offering the choice, that it was in both our best interests for me to have a couple large helpings of each. 

I like to think that otherwise I am an honorable man.

The Bear
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Cake or Pie ??? The Ultimate Debate 2010/02/06 14:19:56
I'll eat a slice of pumpkin pie around Thanksgiving, but other than that I don't eat pies or cakes.
mland520
Cheeseburger
Re:Cake or Pie ??? The Ultimate Debate 2010/02/06 16:12:42
PIE- rhubarb, lemon meringue, apple, coconut cream, pumpkin, blueberry, whatever- but the crust has to be pie crust- not the stuff that most restaurants use that has a consistency of shortbread!!!! I want real pie with real crust.......if not, then no thanks!
allyk
Cheeseburger
Re:Cake or Pie ??? The Ultimate Debate 2010/02/06 17:57:03
I like both, but  pie does have a slight edge. Top 5 are:

Old-fashioned lemon meringue
Pecan
Chess
Coconut Cream
Mince meat

And I love all the fruit pies as well.
PieBakerM
Junior Burger
Re:Cake or Pie ??? The Ultimate Debate 2015/01/09 16:22:48
Count me as a vote for pie.

For my birthday I prefer to have cake. Last year I started a tradition where I bake my birthday cake. That way, I can have as little or as much as I desire, I can choose the ingredients, too.
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:Cake or Pie ??? The Ultimate Debate 2015/01/09 16:36:42
We keep blaming buffetbuster for these pies.  We did not eat pie until we met him....then it was trips to Henry's...then other pies......THEN I STARTED MAKING PIES!  Here is the last one.......cherry for New Year's Day dinner.

rudebarb
Junior Burger
Re:Cake or Pie ??? The Ultimate Debate 2015/01/09 17:05:05
Rhubarb pie.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re:Cake or Pie ??? The Ultimate Debate 2015/01/09 17:14:10
I prefer cake over pie. Especially if it was from Brooklyn's long gone famous bakery, Ebinger's. 
Specifically, their iconic "Chocolate Blackout" layer cake. Plus, a glass of cold milk to wash it down with.
http://www.capitalnewyork.com/article/culture/2012/08/6481039/lost-foods-new-york-city-brooklyn-blackout-cake
C'mon, how could anyone resist a piece?

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Cake or Pie ??? The Ultimate Debate 2015/01/09 17:26:55
In looking over this thread I came upon this post from me back in February of 2010:

"I'll eat a slice of pumpkin pie around Thanksgiving, but other than that I don't eat pies or cakes."

My, how things have changed. For starters, see the cherry pie lleechef made. Since that 2010 post I have fallen under the influence of an alien from a distant planet who goes by the nom de pie buffetbuster. Because of this person, and with the connivance of my wife, I have become addicted to pies of many stripes. While it is true that back then a slice or two of pumpkin pie around Thanksgiving was the extent of my pie-eating, I always had a love for banana cream pie (but only when it was topped with whipped cream, not meringue) and peach pie. And when I was a kid I loved Frisbie pies ( the nickel apiece pies, especially lemon and pineapple pies). But I hadn't even tasted anything other than pumpkin in 30 years, maybe longer. Now, I crave pies. lleechef's peach and blueberry, her cherry, apple, pumpkin -- oh, my. And then there's her cheesecake. I had a slice of that today.

Hi, my name is Michael and I'm a pie-aholic. 
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Cake or Pie ??? The Ultimate Debate 2015/01/09 21:10:02
I used to say cake but I'm really learning to love pie.  I never liked the crusts but unfortunately they're....
growing on me.

lleechef
Sirloin
Re:Cake or Pie ??? The Ultimate Debate 2015/01/10 11:26:24
Pie!  And my favorite is lemon meringue!
cavandre
Re:Cake or Pie ??? The Ultimate Debate 2015/01/10 11:35:15
Twinwillow
I prefer cake over pie. Especially if it was from Brooklyn's long gone famous bakery, Ebinger's. 
Specifically, their iconic "Chocolate Blackout" layer cake. Plus, a glass of cold milk to wash it down with.
http://www.capitalnewyork.com/article/culture/2012/08/6481039/lost-foods-new-york-city-brooklyn-blackout-cake
C'mon, how could anyone resist a piece?

Never had Ebinger's, which looks delicious, but did enjoy Entenmann’s version for many a year.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Cake or Pie ??? The Ultimate Debate 2015/01/10 12:58:14
I still haven't decided which is better, pie or cake. Obviously, more research is required!
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Cake or Pie ??? The Ultimate Debate 2015/01/10 13:20:00
That's a fine looking pie lleechef!  Lucky Michael Hoffman.  Is that from your mother's recipe?
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:Cake or Pie ??? The Ultimate Debate 2015/01/10 14:16:32
buffetbuster
That's a fine looking pie lleechef!  Lucky Michael Hoffman.  Is that from your mother's recipe?

Yes it is.  Actually I found it in her "Betty Crocker's Picture Cook Book" with hand-written notes about making a cherry pie.  I did modify it......a little less sugar and less cornstarch.  Next I'm going to make your favorite, and MH's too...banana cream pie.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
Re:Cake or Pie ??? The Ultimate Debate 2015/01/10 15:24:02
Debate?????
There is no Debate!
It's PIE!
PieBakerM
Junior Burger
Re:Cake or Pie ??? The Ultimate Debate 2015/01/10 16:34:42
lleechef -

Your baked creation looks deeeeelicious!

There's more evidence for those thinking about voting for pie!
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:Cake or Pie ??? The Ultimate Debate 2015/01/10 17:10:12
Thank you.  I thought it was the most beautiful pie I've made.  Then my Mother came over and declaired that it looked OK.
tsores
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Cake or Pie ??? The Ultimate Debate 2015/01/10 17:48:49
Cake or pie?  It depends.  It depends on the cake and on the pie.  
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Cake or Pie ??? The Ultimate Debate 2015/01/10 17:51:46
There are now 4 pies on my favorites list.  Lemon Meringue, Banana Cream, Gooseberry and Rhubarb.

I also like fresh fruit pies, but I don't consider them pies.  They're more like pie shaped cookies topped with fruit.
PieBakerM
Junior Burger
Re:Cake or Pie ??? The Ultimate Debate 2015/01/13 17:08:28
I've never had rhubarb before. How is its taste compared to other fruit pies, mar52?
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:Cake or Pie ??? The Ultimate Debate 2015/01/13 17:52:55
Rhubarb pie is delicious........what's even better is strawberry rhubarb.  MH won't touch anything that has rhubarb in it......you have to add a good bit of sugar because it's bitter. When I can pick strawberries in the spring I'll make a strawberry rhubarb pie for my Mother and I. 
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Cake or Pie ??? The Ultimate Debate 2015/01/13 17:56:34
I love rhubarb.  It's tart.  It's delicious.  Who needs a crust when you can eat it out of a bowl?
lleechef
Sirloin
Re:Cake or Pie ??? The Ultimate Debate 2015/01/13 18:03:26
mar52
I love rhubarb.  It's tart.  It's delicious.  Who needs a crust when you can eat it out of a bowl?

But the crust is the best part!  It wouldn't be pie without crust, lovely, flaky, crispy, nicely browned, crust!
Large Man
Hamburger
Re:Cake or Pie ??? The Ultimate Debate 2015/01/15 20:25:52
Pie - Homemade apple, homemade pecan, homemade banana cream or anything from the Marietta Diner if store-bought.
phlmaestro
Cheeseburger
Re:Cake or Pie ??? The Ultimate Debate 2015/01/16 07:51:54
Like some others, I switched from being more of a cake person to a pie person at some point, mainly because of this web site and visiting a few of the pie places that are often recommended on here.

Philadelphia is not a great pie town, and I think that had something to do with me being more of a cake person until I started getting into roadfood and focusing more on where I eat when I travel.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Cake or Pie ??? The Ultimate Debate 2015/01/16 08:47:47
phlmaestro-
My experience mirrors yours.  Roadfood is what changed me into a pie person.  Pittsburgh isn't much of a pie town, either.
rumaki
Re:Cake or Pie ??? The Ultimate Debate 2015/01/16 09:29:26
Pie, pie, pie!  Once and future favorite for me.  There's a place for cakes (fresh coconut!), but if I could only choose one category of the two, it would be pie.  Sour cherry pie with a lattice lard crust is my ideal. 

And I would be thrilled if I could make a cherry pie like lleechef's! But I just can't make a decent pie crust to save my life, and I won't use the store-bought kind.

I loved eating sugar cream pie while growing up in Indianapolis. I loved  living in Nashville when I was in law school. Apart from local options (coconut cream at Elliston Place Soda Shop; chess pie almost anywhere), we were close enough to Georgia to be able to get pies there, as well.

The Twin Cities has been problematic for me on the pie front. Pies can be found, here and there, but many are quite elaborate, "contrived" pies that don't appeal to me. The homemade cream pies at Magnolia in St. Paul are delicious. But what I mostly crave are simple, traditional pies filled with fruit.  Fortunately, Iowa is not too far away, and is a great source for pie!   http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/Pieowa-Roadtrip-m700883.aspx
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Cake or Pie ??? The Ultimate Debate 2015/01/16 14:27:59
How could I forget my ultimate pie?  I love it even more than lemon meringue.  Can't find it anywhere because it was a specialty of the long, gone Beadle's Cafeteria in Pasadena, California...

Lemon Chess Pie, but not any ordinary Lemon Chess Pie...  One that is adorned with a crispy, candied, walnut topping (I couldn't use both topped and topping in this sentence) making the contrast in tastes and tongue feel a sensory pleasure.

Here is my recipe for it.  Maybe Loves2Bake helped me come up with the topping.

LEMON CHESS PIE with walnut topping

• 1 -  9-inch pie shell, unbaked
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup melted butter
  • 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons cornmeal
  • 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon peel
  • pinch salt
  • walnut topping 
    Beat eggs well; add sugar, butter, and cornmeal, beating well after each addition. Stir in lemon juice, grated lemon peel, and salt. Pour into unbaked pie shell and bake in preheated 325° oven until set, about 30 to 35 minutes, or until a knife inserted near center comes out clean.

• Meanwhile, in medium mixing bowl, combine sugar, flour and remaining 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon; cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in nuts.
  • Remove pie from oven; top evenly with crumb mixture. Return to oven melt and lightly brown topping. Cool. Garnish as you please but this pie only needs a fork. 
    1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
    1/3 cup all-purpose flour
    3 tablespoons butter
    1/2 cup chopped walnuts
  • Davydd
    Sirloin
    Re:Cake or Pie ??? The Ultimate Debate 2015/01/16 16:21:43
    rumaki
    The Twin Cities has been problematic for me on the pie front. Pies can be found, here and there, but many are quite elaborate, "contrived" pies that don't appeal to me. The homemade cream pies at Magnolia in St. Paul are delicious. But what I mostly crave are simple, traditional pies filled with fruit.  Fortunately, Iowa is not too far away, and is a great source for pie!   http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/Pieowa-Roadtrip-m700883.aspx

Have you been to the Stockholm Pie Co. in Stockholm, Wisconsin on Lake Pepin? My favorite pie haunts are on the Lake Superior North Shore and I don't mean Betty's Pies. Unfortunately, the best pie maker on the North Shore is a Kiwi moving from the Gunflint Trail to eastern Tennessee and the only place I ever had real field picked Minnesota northwoods wild blueberry pie closed up.
    rumaki
    Re:Cake or Pie ??? The Ultimate Debate 2015/01/16 17:27:01
    I haven't been to anything up at Lake Superior other than Betty's Pies, which didn't overwhelm me.

I am sure there is good pie somewhere in Minnesota, but as I said, I have not had much luck in the Twin Cities.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    Re:Cake or Pie ??? The Ultimate Debate 2015/01/16 18:33:08
    rumaki
    I could never make pie crust.  It was like cardboard.  I once baked an apple tarte in Alaska and when one of my guests cut into it with a fork it shot across the plate and onto the floor!  My mother used to say, "You have to have cool hands."  I never knew what that meant.  But for some strange reason, now I can make pie.
    rumaki
    Re:Cake or Pie ??? The Ultimate Debate 2015/01/17 09:41:56
    Maybe I'll have a similar miraculous transformation.  For now, though, I leave the pastry-making to my husband.  He's always done it well, and seems to be getting even better at it.
    I can make great biscuits (if I do say so myself), but pie crust eludes me.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    Re:Cake or Pie ??? The Ultimate Debate 2015/01/17 18:17:31
    rumaki
    Maybe I'll have a similar miraculous transformation.  For now, though, I leave the pastry-making to my husband.  He's always done it well, and seems to be getting even better at it.
    I can make great biscuits (if I do say so myself), but pie crust eludes me.

We have a good system.  I made the dough while he peels and slices the peaches or apples.  Once I said, "OK, I'm making blueberry pie so you need to peel the blueberries."  He just stood there and looked at me and finally I couldn't keep a straight face any longer!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Cake or Pie ??? The Ultimate Debate 2015/01/17 18:21:18
    Hey, I peeled grapes for you when you asked.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    -->