Nut Stores/Roasters in NYC and elsewhere

Double Cheeseburger
2010/02/03 21:44:41

An interesting feature on nut stores/roasters in NYC, in the New York Times by Diane Cardwell:

http://www.nytimes.com/20...yregion/04nuts.html?hp

Anyone here been to SP's Nuts? Or similar places? I've never been, but it sounds a bit like the nut roasters in European cities.  From what the article says, it sounds like an interesting piece of Americana is on the verge of extinction.
Pigiron
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Nut Stores/Roasters in NYC and elsewhere 2010/02/03 22:08:26
I've been living in NY my whole life and I don't ever remember seeing anyone roasting nuts inside a store.

I see plenty of those "roasted nut" street carts, but I think all they're really doing is tossing the nuts in melted sugar (they smell great, but I have to say I've never tried them).
Kenny Joe
Cheeseburger
Re:Nut Stores/Roasters in NYC and elsewhere 2010/02/03 22:34:50
One of the few retail stores left in Downtown Akron (and maybe the only one open on Saturday) is an excellent old fashioned nut store. It had to relocate across Main Street, but as of last summer, it was still open. I am not sure if they roast themselves, but it sure smells like it! The fine Mary Coyle Ice Cream Store in Akron has a generous selection of nuts by the pound, but of course it is not a "nut store."  
ken8038
Re:Nut Stores/Roasters in NYC and elsewhere 2010/02/04 10:30:19
I was suprised to find out that there was only one nut roaster store left in Manhattan. I was aware of SP Nuts, but the few times I walked up that way from work downtown in search of nuts I'd go to Bazzini (which I've just learned from the article that they've closed thier retail operation).

Two others I've been to are Wesco Fruit & Nut in Irvington NJ, which is about as old school as it gets--You walk right out into the roasting floor and place your order, there is no 'retail shop" per se.

http://www.irvington-nj.com/Westco.html

And Basse Nuts in Fairlawn NJ, which is a much more modern looking store but doesn't seem to have a website.

And finally there is the Roadfood-Famous Carmelcorn shop in Easton Pa (only about a 45 minute drive for me):

http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurant/Reviews/3038/carmelcorn-shop
David_NYC
Re:Nut Stores/Roasters in NYC and elsewhere 2010/02/04 12:02:52
I have passed this store many times, though the sign out front makes you think the name of the business is "We Are Nuts About Nuts". I didn't realize they still roasted nuts there. About 20 years ago, a lot of stores opened up in Manhattan that sold bulk candy and nuts. Most of them are already closed, and did not do any roasting on site. Until they moved their plant to the Bronx, Bazzini still operated their entire wholesale nut business in Manhattan. Now that cafe and nut store is gone, too.

What I still vividly remember are the candy and fresh-roasted nut counters in department stores back in the 60's. Sears, Woolworths, and discount department stores all seemed to have them. They would roast nuts in deep fryers. You could smell the oil in half the store. I used to like the Spanish peanuts.
ken8038
Re:Nut Stores/Roasters in NYC and elsewhere 2010/02/04 12:28:06
Oh, one other place. Our office in Michigan sends us a big bag of Pistacios every holiday season from Germack's Pistacio Company in Detroit. They may be the best pistacios I've ever had. It's one of the highlights of the holiday season for my office when we see the shipping box on the reception desk: "The Nuts are Here!"

It appears that they have a retail store as well:

http://germack.com/
kozel
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Nut Stores/Roasters in NYC and elsewhere 2010/02/04 15:56:34
I like freshly roasted peanuts.  When I worked in Newark I used to pass a place on Mulberry St that had a roaster going.  They got 'urban renewed' out of Newark and are now nutsonline.com. My roaster of choice now is at the Allentown farmer's market.  They offer a light, regular and dark roast.  The dark is the best!
quijote
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Nut Stores/Roasters in NYC and elsewhere 2010/02/04 22:03:47
I haven't thought about Woolworth's in a while. It was indeed nice to smell the roasted nuts and other foods there. In Milwaukee there's a candy/nuts chain called Quality Candy/Buddy Squirrel that sells freshly roasted nuts. Some of the stores are combined QCBS, but others are stand-alone nut shops. The stores I've been in have a roaster-looking heat unit, but I'm not sure if the nuts are actually roasted there, or if they're just kept warm (and aromatic).

Edit: From what I see on their website, they roast the nuts at the central QCBS facility in a Milwaukee suburb:

http://www.qcbs.com/catalog/home.php

post edited by quijote - 2010/02/04 22:10:10
quijote
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Nut Stores/Roasters in NYC and elsewhere 2010/02/04 22:26:32
I guess I'm a little obsessed with nut roasting shops. A little looking on the web led me to the Milwaukee Nut Company, on the west side:

http://martindrive.org/milwaukee_nut_company.htm

Cool! I'll have to make a trip this weekend. I find it odd that I haven't seen it written up at all.... I'll call first.
claracamille
Cheeseburger
Re:Nut Stores/Roasters in NYC and elsewhere 2010/02/07 08:27:02
If you are ever in Charleston, WV don't miss the Peanut Shoppe on Capitol St.  It has been there since 1950.  the store itself is very narrow, just enough room for the counter & a nut roaster.  
 I remember going "uptown" shopping with my parents.  While my mom shopped(in heels, dressmaker suit, gloves & hat), my dad would take my sister & I to the Peanut Shoppe or fresh roasted peanuts.  Then we would walk down to Blossum Dairy for a malted.

Now I get the roasted cashews, I've never tasted better.
ScreamingChicken
Filet Mignon
Re:Nut Stores/Roasters in NYC and elsewhere 2014/02/07 13:44:09
quijote

In Milwaukee there's a candy/nuts chain called Quality Candy/Buddy Squirrel that sells freshly roasted nuts. Some of the stores are combined QCBS, but others are stand-alone nut shops. The stores I've been in have a roaster-looking heat unit, but I'm not sure if the nuts are actually roasted there, or if they're just kept warm (and aromatic).
I grew up within spitting distance of CherryVale Mall and for a number of years there was a Buddy Squirrel shop on the upper level near Marshall Field.  Whenever I had some spare change I'd often buy a small bag of their roasted cashews, and to this day they're still the best cashews I've ever had.

The only other roaster I'm aware of is Heavenly Roasted Nuts, which has stands at Miller Park.  I've never checked them out, though, because the sugar-sweet aroma really turns me off.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Nut Stores/Roasters in NYC and elsewhere 2014/02/07 15:46:51
I used to stop in the Planter's Peanut Store in downtown Columbus where they roasted nuts. And I remember one in Charleston, West Virginia and another in New Haven, Connecticut.
kozel
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Nut Stores/Roasters in NYC and elsewhere 2014/02/08 07:07:58
Allentown Fairgrounds market and the Green Dragon market in Ephrata have roasters and both offer a dark roast peanut. Now I live in Virginia supposedly famous for peanuts and they've never heard of dark roast. 
MellowRoast
Re:Nut Stores/Roasters in NYC and elsewhere 2014/02/08 07:53:00
Still alive and well in Nashville at The Peanut Shop in the Arcade, formerly a Planters shop.

http://www.nashvillenut.com/index.php

From the site:
The "Peanut Shop", once the original home of Planterstm Peanuts, is still nuts after all these years. "Mr. Peanut" still walks around and hands out fresh roasted nuts and we still use the original over-under "scales" to weigh candy and still roast peanuts in "Little Bertha".
mjambro
Cheeseburger
Re:Nut Stores/Roasters in NYC and elsewhere 2014/02/09 17:03:48
Michael Hoffman

I used to stop in the Planter's Peanut Store in downtown Columbus where they roasted nuts. And I remember one in Charleston, West Virginia and another in New Haven, Connecticut.

Sure do have fond memories of freshly roasted peanuts at several Planters.  I recall one on Main St in Hartford, CT on the corner, across from G Fox and another one downtown in New Bedford, MA.  Last one I recall going to is back in the mid 70's at a mall off Rt 46 near Dover, NJ.  

See    http://4mrpeanut.com/PlantersPeanutStores.htm for some (past) locations.

Freshly roasted (hot) peanuts, now that was a treat, unlike the chemically treated stuff they pass off in jars today.

For some nostalgia of the New Bedford locations - see http://www.newbedfordguid...anut-shoppe/2013/03/08
post edited by mjambro - 2014/02/09 17:17:37
Twinwillow
Sirloin
Re:Nut Stores/Roasters in NYC and elsewhere 2014/02/09 19:25:19
I swear I can remember when growing up, they roasted nuts at Woolworths.
kozel
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Nut Stores/Roasters in NYC and elsewhere 2014/02/11 09:42:57
Back in the 50's when visiting the grand parents in Meriden CT, there was a roaster across the street from the train station. Dad always stopped by to get a bag.
brookquarry
Cheeseburger
Re:Nut Stores/Roasters in NYC and elsewhere 2014/02/12 06:02:26
Carmelcorn shop in Easton, Pa roasts nuts daily. They have extra dark roast available. Very good nuts at reasonable prices.
Its reviewed on this site.
Poverty Pete
Re:Nut Stores/Roasters in NYC and elsewhere 2014/02/12 08:53:31
My favorite nut roasting shop is in downtown Mobile.
Poverty Pete
Re:Nut Stores/Roasters in NYC and elsewhere 2014/02/12 08:53:39
My favorite nut roasting shop is in downtown Mobile.