Orlando-Mouse Food Recommendations?

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 60 of 103
QFan
  • Total Posts : 641
  • Reward points : 0
Orlando-Mouse Food Recommendations? - Sun, 02/7/10 10:01 AM
Hey Road Fooders, can anyone help me out on this? 
Mrs QFan and I will spending a couple of days at Walt Disney World later this month. I know that WDW is not exactly fertile ground for roadfood finds, as much of it is either fast food or "themed" restaurants that are pretty much run of the mill.
With that said, maybe there's a spot you've tried that would be worth going back to. There are so many choices at the many different resort properties within the Magic Kingdom that maybe, just maybe there's a good one or two?

Can you help me out ASAP? Thanks in advance! 

QFan 
Bonita Springs, FL

Mobistro
  • Total Posts : 7
Re:Orlando-Mouse Food Recommendations? - Mon, 02/8/10 2:49 AM
There are other affordable Orlando restaurants that you can try at

leethebard
  • Total Posts : 6071
Re:Orlando-Mouse Food Recommendations? - Mon, 02/8/10 8:08 AM
California Grill at the top of the Contemporary Hotel is actually gighly rated, and you get a great view!!!
   We actually  enjoy the buffets at many places...they're the best deal financially...onew big buffet and one lite meal and you're set for the day......Crystal Palace at the Magic Kingdom has a large selection and has some great food,

Tony Bad
  • Total Posts : 5114
Re:Orlando-Mouse Food Recommendations? - Mon, 02/8/10 8:35 AM
Just got home from there Saturday night...My favorite for a quick and inexpensive meal is The Earl of Sandwich in downtown Disney. Pretty good sandwiches for $6. Also enjoyed the ESPN place and Big River Brewing at the Boardwalk resort area. The latter has a pretty diverse menu, while the ESPN place is mostly sandwiches and burgers. In the actual parks the only places I enjoy are some of the ones in Epcot. Have fun!

leethebard
Re:Orlando-Mouse Food Recommendations? - Mon, 02/8/10 2:49 PM
Yes,most of the ethnic restaurants at world showcase in Epcot are great...nice sit down restaurants, and casual cafes!

TJ Jackson
  • Total Posts : 4481
Re:Orlando-Mouse Food Recommendations? - Mon, 02/8/10 2:54 PM
In the Magic Kingdom, head for Casey's Corner for a very good and relatively inexpensive hot dog

The food at the 'Asian' place in Animal Kingdom is decent - talking the relatively inexpensive counter service side, not the sit down restaurant.

I did not find any decent grub in the Movie-themed park

One of the best steaks i have ever had is at Epcot Le Cellier - Canada section - mushroom filet w/ risotto, and the cheese soup and pretzel bread.

Without a doubt the park with the best food options is Epcot - the world part, not the front part - its not even remotely close
<message edited by TJ Jackson on Mon, 02/8/10 3:15 PM>

PaulBPool
  • Total Posts : 278
Re:Orlando-Mouse Food Recommendations? - Mon, 02/8/10 3:08 PM
Whenever our family went to Disney (probably 6 or 7 times in the last 20+ years), we always enjoyed dinner at the Mexican Pavillion in Epcot, the San Angel Inn. Servicable traditional mexican, decent cold drinks, and a nice atmosphere. I also agree with Earl of Sandwich, and Casey's Corner for an 'okay' dog. You're not going to eat particularly cheaply, nor really 'gourmet', but you can find acceptable food if you choose carefully. Have fun!

cavandre
  • Total Posts : 1597
Re:Orlando-Mouse Food Recommendations? - Mon, 02/8/10 6:21 PM
Another vote for the Earl of Sandwich and also in Downtown Disney The Raglan Road Pub .

You might also want to check out http://land.allears.net/reviewpost/ which will have reviews of every restaurant on Disney Property.

On a personal note, I try to avoid eating within the Magic Kingdom if at all possible. If forced to eat there, I stick with Clancy's franks.

QFan
Re:Orlando-Mouse Food Recommendations? - Mon, 02/8/10 7:49 PM
Thanks fellow RF-ers! Please keep it up if others would also like to weigh in. 

QFan
Bonita Springs, FL

fbarrett
  • Total Posts : 10
Re:Orlando-Mouse Food Recommendations? - Mon, 02/8/10 8:39 PM
We were there about a year ago and went to the Hoop-de-doo show and dinner in Fort Wilderness.  The food served was actually pretty good, better than I expected.  I was told that the restaurant next door (Trail's End I think) has the same food without the entertainment at a better price.  It looks like it is served buffet style.  Chicken, ribs, etc.  You may want to check on prices and if reservations are required.

TJ Jackson
Re:Orlando-Mouse Food Recommendations? - Mon, 02/8/10 11:06 PM
cavandre

avoid eating within the Magic Kingdom if at all possible. If forced to eat there, I stick with Clancy's franks.

Where is Clancy's franks?

cavandre
Re:Orlando-Mouse Food Recommendations? - Tue, 02/9/10 8:16 AM
TJ Jackson

cavandre

avoid eating within the Magic Kingdom if at all possible. If forced to eat there, I stick with Clancy's franks.

Where is Clancy's franks?

At the very end on Main St., on your left

TJ Jackson
Re:Orlando-Mouse Food Recommendations? - Tue, 02/9/10 8:43 AM
Err, thats Casey's Corner :-)

ALLGOOD
  • Total Posts : 167
Re:Orlando-Mouse Food Recommendations? - Tue, 02/9/10 9:07 AM
The ABC Commissary at the movie themed park (don't know what they are calling that park now) is actually really good for breakfast and affordable.  It beat all the other breakfast options at that park and the best part was it was not crowded (it is very out of the way).

leethebard
Re:Orlando-Mouse Food Recommendations? - Tue, 02/9/10 10:15 AM
Actually we got a great meal at the Brown Derby Reproduction at MGM!

ALLGOOD
Re:Orlando-Mouse Food Recommendations? - Tue, 02/9/10 10:25 AM
I have a "don't" at MGM studios.  My family was very unimpressed with the Sci-Fi Drive In.  We ended up sitting at a picnic table in the back instead of in one of the "cars".  The "movie" they show kept looping and we saw the same scenes about 35 times.  The food was subpar and the service was very slow.  We found the food and service at the higher end Disney resort properties to be much better than anything (even high-end) at the parks.  The only exception is, of course, Epcot.  That place is awesome.

mimicooks
  • Total Posts : 37
Re:Orlando-Mouse Food Recommendations? - Tue, 02/9/10 12:50 PM
If you like German food, the food in Germany at Epcot is good. There's a buffet, but you can also buy brats,etc. You might have trouble getting into the buffet without reservations.

leethebard
Re:Orlando-Mouse Food Recommendations? - Wed, 02/10/10 1:43 AM
Again most of the ethnic restaurants at Epcot's World Showcase are great...Rose and Crown in "England" sure has the feel of an English pup,right down to the English waiters...and Alfredo's in "Italy" is as good as the one in Rome, even this Italian was satisfied.....the help at all these restaurants come from the represented country...that's the fun of the "world tour" loop around the park....It's my favorite thing to do at Disney!!!

kennyb
  • Total Posts : 374
Re:Orlando-Mouse Food Recommendations? - Wed, 02/10/10 10:03 AM
get the fish and chips at the side of the rose and crown.

leethebard
Re:Orlando-Mouse Food Recommendations? - Wed, 02/10/10 11:39 AM
Great fish and chips...admosphere inside is great...same great fish and chips...and superb British beer!

Play27
  • Total Posts : 113
Re:Orlando-Mouse Food Recommendations? - Wed, 02/10/10 11:51 AM
I prefer to drink my way around the world at Epcot. That said the Mexican is decent. The Smoked turkey leg in MK is really good and the Pho in MK, near the castle was great! Not sure if I was really really hungry or what but it was excellent.
<message edited by Play27 on Tue, 03/9/10 4:08 PM>

Grits-N-Gravy
  • Total Posts : 98
Re:Orlando-Mouse Food Recommendations? - Wed, 02/10/10 1:23 PM
I dont eat at the parks. The reason is thats its either overpriced frozen crap...or its actually good and WAAAYYY overpriced.
I will say Earl Of Sandwich in Downtown disney is good, but is not Disney.

ALLGOOD
Re:Orlando-Mouse Food Recommendations? - Wed, 02/10/10 1:31 PM
Actually, if you get the add-on option of Disney Dining when booking your vacation, the food is VERY reasonable.  All your meals are prepaid.  No need to figure out either how much $$ you have left, or how much you've charged.  We found the dining plan to work great for us.  The only exception was for the lighter eater in our family (me) who rarely eats appetizers or dessert, let alone a complete entree.  (appetizers and desserts are included in the plan)

TJ Jackson
Re:Orlando-Mouse Food Recommendations? - Wed, 02/10/10 2:59 PM
Disney Dining Plan (any variation) is not *always* a good deal.....doesnt work well for all folks in all situations

generally, works well if you plan on eating a LOT and going to sit-down restaurants a LOT

generally, any kids with you will want to eat fast so they can get back on the rides

also, it is not accepted for all eats nor at all eateries in Disney, even tho it is disney's own plan

also, if you are standing in line for counter service anywhere and a dining plan holder ahead of you is arguing with the cashier whether or not the fries he just purchased are a snack or a meal or if he should pay cash for these seperately - while you continue to wait - you will come to realize that it is a well-intended but poorly designed/implemented plan
<message edited by TJ Jackson on Wed, 02/10/10 3:01 PM>

kennyb
  • Total Posts : 374
Re:Orlando-Mouse Food Recommendations? - Wed, 02/10/10 3:59 PM
you can leave epcot thru the side entrance and walk over to the boardwalk hotel and get many more options including street carts to fancy sit down resturants. 

TJ Jackson
Re:Orlando-Mouse Food Recommendations? - Wed, 02/10/10 4:27 PM
PaulBPool

You're not going to eat particularly cheaply, nor really 'gourmet', but you can find acceptable food if you choose carefully.

Well stated.

Epcot is the exception - you can eat very good meals there - but pricey as with anywhere in the parks

oscar5933
  • Total Posts : 36
Re:Orlando-Mouse Food Recommendations? - Wed, 02/10/10 5:05 PM
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=33579300#post33579300
This forum is great for those heading to Disney. It shows pictures of the food in the restaurants and also tells you which restaurant so you get an idea of what you would like to order. I live in Orland and am a frequent visitor to the park.  Each park has its great spots for food and then the regular standard fare that you would get anywhere.  If you are going to do sit down meals, you definetly need to call Disney dining and make your reservations. It is hard to just walk up to a restaurant and be seated without a huge wait, reservations are a must.

Disney is fantastic, I'm sure your family with have a blast.

Greymo
  • Total Posts : 3660
Re:Orlando-Mouse Food Recommendations? - Wed, 02/10/10 5:53 PM
f you  are on  a tight budget,  you will not be happy.  If  it does not matter what  it costs,  you  will find  great food.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          

cavandre
Re:Orlando-Mouse Food Recommendations? - Fri, 02/12/10 8:41 AM
oscar5933

If you are going to do sit down meals, you definetly need to call Disney dining and make your reservations. It is hard to just walk up to a restaurant and be seated without a huge wait, reservations are a must.

This is good advice for anytime of the year, but especially needed for the really busy times of the year. (e.g., spring break, July-August, Christmas-New Years). You can also use their website to make reservations. (I would not wait until I got to Orlando to make the reservations.)

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/restaurants/ 

<message edited by cavandre on Fri, 02/12/10 9:15 AM>

Soccer862923
  • Total Posts : 208
Re:Orlando-Mouse Food Recommendations? - Fri, 02/12/10 8:54 AM
The Rose and Crown in England in Epcot is quite good.

Also for a very good, if pricey brunch, the Grand Floridian has a very good one. Best Orange Juice I have ever had.

Casey3557
  • Total Posts : 15
Re:Orlando-Mouse Food Recommendations? - Mon, 02/15/10 12:45 PM
We travel to WDW at least once a year.  Have a great trip!  Here are some of our favorites: 
  • Earl of Sandwich @ the Disney Marketplace.  Great sandwiches on artisan bread at a good price.  They also have salads.  Lines are usually long, but move quickly.  (Tip:  use the time in line to peruse the menu and make your meal choice to save time.)  There are tables inside and outside.  We stop by here several times. 
  • Olivia's @Old Key West - Great atmosphere and service.  Food is generally quite good.  This is a great spot for breakfast and lunch.  Dinner is a good deal pricier, but includes more fish choices than at other meals.  Ambience is quite relaxing.
  • I agree with the other posters that Epcot has some great spots.  Le Cellier (in "Canada" ) is a favorite and very popular.  We love to stop in at the Rose and Crown for a pint at their beautiful bar.  Fish and chips are a great favorite there.  The Lotus Blossom Cafe in Japan has a sesame chicken salad that I love.  There are good choices all around the lagoon at Epcot; you can't go far wrong here, but they tend to be pricey. 
  • Boma and Jiko at the Animal Kingdom Lodge are excellent.  Boma has a breakfast and dinner buffet that are wonderful.  Jiko is similarly wonderful.  One or the other is worth the splurge. 
  • Beaches and Cream at the Beach Club has probably the best burger on WDW property as well as the temptation (for some AND their friends) of The Kitchen Sink (8 scoops of ice cream w/every conceivable topping and a whole can of whipped cream!).  Always crowded, but a great little spot.
  • Kouzzina (Cat Cora's new restaurant) @ the Boardwalk is supposed to be great, but we haven't tried it yet. 
  • ESPN Club @ the Boardwalk is okay; great for nachos and drinks and catching up with your favorite team.
  • Wolfgang Puck has some great spots at the Marketplace.  Great pizzas and pasta dishes. 
  • Ghiradelli's at the Marketplace for great ice cream.
  • House of Blues @ the Marketplace West Side.  I know it is a chain, but the food is terrific and the service quite good.  A good bet, especially at lunch. 
  • California Grill at the Contemporary.  Dinner only.  Has won multiple dining awards.  Fantastic view.  Another splurge-worthy spot.  Similarly, Victoria & Albert's @ the Grand Floridian.  You can't miss with either one of these choices. 
  • Liberty Tree Tavern at the Magic Kingdom.  Tasty sandwiches at lunchtime along with salads and soups.  We love the atmosphere.  A cool, relatively quiet spot to relax and enjoy some good food. 

TJ Jackson
Re:Orlando-Mouse Food Recommendations? - Mon, 02/15/10 1:41 PM
I believe Victor and Victoria have instituted a "no kids" policy

While this sounds very un-disney, it is a stuffy-formal 5 star eatery and really not something 99.9% of kids would enjoy, or even tolerate

MetroplexJim
  • Total Posts : 3704
Re:Orlando-Mouse Food Recommendations? - Sat, 02/20/10 10:42 AM
When in Orlando, don't miss The Kissimmee Steak House.  I've been going there since the Reagan Administration and have never been disappointed.  You will be one of the few tourists in the place; it's a "local" favorite. http://www.kissimmeesteakhouse.com/

And Bubbalou's Bodacious BBQ is excellent (avoid Sonny's): http://www.bubbalous.com/

cavandre
Re:Orlando-Mouse Food Recommendations? - Mon, 02/22/10 5:54 PM
TJ Jackson

I believe Victor and Victoria have instituted a "no kids" policy

While this sounds very un-disney, it is a stuffy-formal 5 star eatery and really not something 99.9% of kids would enjoy, or even tolerate

The chef at Victoria & Albert's has been nominated for a James Beard award. The listing is about half way down page 17 at: http://jamesbeard.org/files/2010_SEMIFINALISTS_FINAL.pdf 

TJ Jackson
Re:Orlando-Mouse Food Recommendations? - Mon, 02/22/10 7:57 PM
err, yeah, Victoria and ALBERT'S

:-)

MandalayVA
  • Total Posts : 367
Re:Orlando-Mouse Food Recommendations? - Wed, 02/24/10 1:46 PM
Casey's Corner is a must stop for me when I go to the Mouse Hole. 

One that hasn't been mentioned--and I recommend it more for the experience than the food--is the Prime Time Cafe at Disney/MGM/whatever they're calling it now.  You'll feel like you stepped into a fifties sitcom, complete with food like meat loaf (which is actually pretty decent).  The servers are all your "aunts" and "uncles" and they will do things like show your clean plate to the entire restaurant or do the airplane thing to make you take a bite of something.  If you have kids they'll be deeply entertained. 

For a splurge, I loved Artist Point at the Wilderness Lodge hotel.  They had a buffalo ribeye that literally melted in my mouth. 

TJ Jackson
Re:Orlando-Mouse Food Recommendations? - Wed, 02/24/10 1:50 PM
I myself didn't mention Prime Time Cafe because our meal there was 100% awful, including the waitress who had bought 0% into the whole concept.

Service, food, price - all bad.

QFan
Re:Orlando-Mouse Food Recommendations? - Tue, 03/2/10 9:06 AM
Thanks to all you great Roadfooders for your wonderful suggestions. There actually is a greater bounty of choices at the Magic Kingdom than I had originally believed possible--quite a few more in fact! Your recommendations covered the whole gamut. 
We wound up at Narcoossee's at the Grande Floridian for our big occasion (a cousins' get together) meal of the trip. Narcoossee's specializes in seafood, but has a wide range of other choices. The food, service and portion sizes were outstanding. Among the dishes most liked by our table were the wahoo (kind of like swordfish), blackened Florida grouper, a NoLa style cajun etouffee and an outstanding surf & turf w/ huge portions of tenderloin medalions and excellent rock lobster tail.   
The gorgeous restaurant is located in a separate bullding on the GF resort property, overlooking the lagoon and beach. We really lucked out by scoring a window-side table and had a front row seat for the nightly fireworks over the entire Disney property. It really was awesome and, yes, quite magical. We would all go back in a heartbeat. 
Thanks again to all of you who offered your choices. I've said it before but it bears repeating that the people on this site are the best!!!  

QFan 
Bonita Springs, FL 

billyboy
  • Total Posts : 2363
Re:Orlando-Mouse Food Recommendations? - Tue, 03/2/10 9:22 AM
I've got to agree with QFan, RFers are the best!  I'm going to "the place where dreams come true" in about 4 weeks and this will be a great "cheat sheet" for me.  Thanks!

Play27
  • Total Posts : 113
Re:Orlando-Mouse Food Recommendations? - Mon, 03/8/10 1:03 PM
Breakfast buffet at the Swan, with the characters, was actually almost worth the money.

Mobistro
  • Total Posts : 7
Re:Orlando-Mouse Food Recommendations? - Tue, 03/9/10 6:45 AM
Lots of affordable restaurants you will find in Orlando, search online in Google and you will get lots of restaurants and choose that will best fit your requirement.

wheregreggeats.com
  • Total Posts : 4530
Re:Orlando-Mouse Food Recommendations? - Tue, 03/9/10 8:10 AM
Off property, just where I-4 and 27 meet is a favorite of mine, featuring great English/Irish food a d a SUPERB pour of Guinness.

The Travelin Man
  • Total Posts : 3698
Re:Orlando-Mouse Food Recommendations? - Tue, 03/9/10 2:51 PM
Mobistro

Lots of affordable restaurants you will find in Orlando, search online in Google and you will get lots of restaurants and choose that will best fit your requirement.

Google, you say?  From a site where people come for food recommendations?

How about this?

TJ Jackson
Re:Orlando-Mouse Food Recommendations? - Tue, 03/9/10 3:00 PM
JTM made a funny

JTM loves Orlando, btw :-)

and key lime pie

Tony Bad
  • Total Posts : 5114
Re:Orlando-Mouse Food Recommendations? - Tue, 03/9/10 4:40 PM
The Travelin Man

Mobistro

Google, you say?  From a site where people come for food recommendations?

How about this?

No space between site: and roadfood otherwise it won't limit to just roadfood.com

billyboy
Re:Orlando-Mouse Food Recommendations? - Mon, 04/12/10 10:10 AM

BILLYBOY'S TRIP TO DISNEY WORLD 03/27/10 TO 04/03/10

Saturday 03/27/10 - My girlfriend and I recently took a vacation to Disney World with my family to celebrate my niece's 5th birthday.  I ended up taking about 700 pictures (a good number of them of the food we ate!) and I thought I'd share some of them here instead of starting a new thread.  I figured it might be helpful for anyone planning a trip to the House of Mouse.  I saw this interesting little sandwich stand during our layover in the Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport.  Has anyone ever tried it? 
On our way to the gate, I spied this Savannah's Candy Kitchen in Concourse B, so I popped in for some...

Divinity, which I loved the meringue-like texture of, but thought they tasted somewhat medicinal.  Not sure if they are supposed to be that way or if this was just a bad rendition?

And some very buttery, sweet and crunchy Pralines.  My favorite are still Dave Furer's green chile and tequila pralines at The Only Cafe in Vernon, NY.

We had some time before our flight and I found this Krystal Hamburger shop just across from our gate.  I had heard of this regional chain but never tried it.  

I like the Hall of Fame idea...

and the background they give.

These reminded me of White Castle slyders, only better.  The same soft bun, griddle-onion steamed burger, but somehow better.  One touch I particularly liked was the inclusion of mustard on the burger.  Most unexpected, but very tasty.  It gave it a welcome tang.

Upon arriving at our hotel, the Port Orleans Riverside, we stopped in to the Riverside Mill food court for some build-your-own-pasta before taking a nap.  I had some pesto linguine with grilled chicken and vegetables which was a bit on the greasy side, but tasty nonetheless.  We would be eating breakfast here most mornings and then head out to the theme parks for the day.  When we got to our room, the towels were arranged on the bed as "Mouse Ears".  Cute.

After some rest, we took one of Disney's buses from the hotel and met my family for dinner at Tony's Town Square Restaurant in the Exposition Hall in the Magic Kingdom.  A couple of points to note.  I want to thank the Roadfooder who suggested that we make dinner reservations months in advance.  I forgot his name, but that bit of advice was most helpful.  Many places were booked solid.  We were all on the dining plan for the week which gave each of us: one full service-sit down meal, one quick serve meal and one snack per person, per day which worked out just fine for us.  Most of the full service dinners included an entree, dessert and a non-alcoholic beverage.  Any appetizers and alcoholic beverages were extra.  Our waitress was great and chatty, in a good way.  She was very helpful in explaining how the dining plan worked and answered any questions that we had.  

Tony's is based on the restaurant featured in the Disney animated film, "The Lady and the Tramp".  

The only lemonade available at the Disney restaurants was this very refreshing pomegranate lemonade.  

Our dinner started out with a platter of warm, crusty rolls and some tasty olive oil.  

My dinner came with this rather plain, flat tasting salad.  I'm just not a big fan of iceberg lettuce.

Dayna had the linguini with mussels, shrimp and calamari.   

I had the Chicken Parmigiana. Not the best I have ever tried (and I have tried a lot!) but it was okay. A bit bready and it could have used more seasoning.
Tiramisu
My Lemon Cream cake. The walnuts and cocoa were an unusual touch, but they worked for me. This was moist, light and very good. I don't remember the kind of frosting on top. Sorry.

I thought this was an enjoyable place to eat.  Lots of the "stroller set" eating here. More pics and write-ups on Day 2 after the jump...! For now, I'll just leave you with a shot of Cinderella's Castle at night:

<message edited by billyboy on Tue, 04/13/10 12:21 AM>

billyboy
Re:Orlando-Mouse Food Recommendations? - Mon, 04/12/10 2:02 PM

Sunday 03/28/10 - Dayna and I slept in today (as we did on most days, we're on vacation!) and then met my family at EPCOT.  At the entrance is the Spaceship Earth sphere.  We also happened to be at Disney during the EPCOT International Flower and Garden Festival, so there were lots of beautiful plants, shrubs, flowers and other flora and fauna to take in.  

It poured for most of the afternoon and we ducked into a quick serve place called the Electric Umbrella to split a sandwich, some fries and a fruit cup. The hardest part about eating on a rainy day is trying to find a seat. We had to stalk a table until a family left! We had a smoked turkey sandwich with cranberry mayo, cheddar and bacon, which seemed like an odd combination, but worked for one of us. The fruit cup was huge (grapes, cantaloupe and honeydew) and the fries were okay. Sorry, no pictures on this one.

We met my family for dinner in the country of Norway in the World Showcase at the Akershus Royal Banquet Hall. Aside from Cinderella's Castle, this restaurant was supposed to have one of the best character dinners for kids. It did not disappoint. My niece got to meet, get autographs from and have her picture taken with: Belle (Beauty & the Beast), Alice (from Alice in Wonderland, Princess Aurora (Sleeping Beauty), Show White and Ariel (The Little Mermaid) and she loved every minute of it!

I wanted to go for a traditional Scandanavian dish, so I opted for the Kjottkake.
We started out with a trip to the buffet for many Scandanavian fish dishes. Being a "fish frowner" I was skeptical that I would actually like any of it. I wish I had taken better notes. There were some fish items like herring in a red sauce that I just couldn't abide, but the salmon in the middle of my plate (smoked, I think) with dill sauce was very good. Moist and not fishy tasting. The other fish just above it on the plate was a smoked fish whose name I forget, but was very tender and flaky. The shrimp salad and the cocktail shrimp were both good too. Haven't made a fish lover out of me yet, but I'd try it again.
Dayna's Citrus Marinated Mahi-Mahi with mashed potatoes, arugula and a mushroom vinaigrette. I didn't try it, but she said it was very good.
My sister's Grilled Pork Chop with Potato gratin, apple-raisin chutney and Demi-glace. This was a nice piece of pork and the cheesy potatoes were addictive.
My Kjottkake with asparagus and Lingonberry sauce. I really liked these. They are not dumplings as I know them, but what I would call meatballs. I had expected to see whole lingonberries, but they are actually cooked into the meatballs and the sauce. They definitely have a perfumey presence that is slightly sweet.
Our dessert was the family-style Royal Chef's Dessert Plate. Two plates for the table with three desserts on each one: a sweet and savory chocolate mousse, Traditional Rice Cream served with strawberry sauce and a Flaky Puff Pastry filled with Mascarpone Mousse and topped with fresh berries. All of these were winners with the whole table. (descriptions of this meal courtesy of the Akershus Royal Banquet Hall online menu).
Later that night my sister and her husband took my niece to a meet-n-greet with Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Goofy and Pluto, so the rest of us stopped in to the Fountain View Ice Cream shop for some Edy's ice cream.
I went for a double scoop of chocolate and vanilla ice cream. While it was very tasty, I think Amy of ayersian would be somewhat dismayed as I was to find a few ice crystals in this dish!

Til then, here are some of the fireworks from the 9pm nightly display at the World Showcase:

<message edited by billyboy on Tue, 04/13/10 12:24 AM>

TJ Jackson
Re:Orlando-Mouse Food Recommendations? - Mon, 04/12/10 2:16 PM
Epcot has *BY FAR* the best overall eats of any of the 4 main parks.

It's not even close.

Hope you get to Le Cellier @ Canada for the mushroom filet

billyboy
Re:Orlando-Mouse Food Recommendations? - Mon, 04/12/10 2:22 PM
TJ, I walked by Le Cellier after seeing O' Canada, but unfortunately, we already had reservations elsewhere each night for dinner.  I did look at the menu based on what you and some other posters had said earlier in this thread and wished we had gone there.  

I did make it to the Rose & Crown for a beer flight along with some fish & chips.  

We also had dinner at Raglan Road in Downtown Disney and my Shepherd's Pie, colcannon, 2nd beer flight and bread pudding were on point!  

Also had a mixed but overall good meal and great experience at the 50s Prime Time Cafe at Hollywood Studios.  The buffet at Cape May in the Beach Club was excellent too.  More pics and report coming soon!

Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2413
Re:Orlando-Mouse Food Recommendations? - Mon, 04/12/10 2:26 PM
Your first "praline" looks live "divinity", no?

billyboy
Re:Orlando-Mouse Food Recommendations? - Mon, 04/12/10 2:29 PM
D'oh!  Thanks for the catch, Rusty!

Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2413
Re:Orlando-Mouse Food Recommendations? - Mon, 04/12/10 2:32 PM
billyboy

D'oh!  Thanks for the catch, Rusty!

He, he.  No problem!  I'm not much of a sweet eater, I remember my Grandmother making it.

BillyB
  • Total Posts : 2851
Re:Orlando-Mouse Food Recommendations? - Mon, 04/12/10 7:10 PM
Hey Billyboy, I haven't had a real good Chicken Parm in a Restaurant, since I left the East coast. I made them for the family a few weeks ago and they loved them. I agree the breading has to be flavorful, and not soggy. I always serve mine, in the Cafe, with the Chicken standing alone so it doesn't get the moisture from the spaghetti. My feeling is every bit should have Parm and fresh Mozz cheese with a good quality sauce......Looks like the Chef in that restaurant likes putting it over white spaghetti noodles............Hope you had a great time, with your personality you fit right in, I bet your wife just shakes her head sometimes.................take care...............Billyb

ang126
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:Orlando-Mouse Food Recommendations? - Mon, 04/12/10 7:47 PM
We have been to Disney World at least once a year for the past  seven years. I am always looking for new places to eat. The ones I go back to every year seem to stay the same. (same quality of food, ect.,)
Garden Grill  in The Land at EPCOT
[font="arial, sans-serif; line-height: 20px; "]

the mediterranean place at EPCOT... I don't know the name of it. 
50's Prime Time Cafe- Hollywood  fun, but not necessary
Rainforest Cafe- Animal Kingdom  You can get a discount card with Landry's Seafood.
Grand Floridian Cafe- At the Grand Floridian hotel. There are lots of good places at the hotels and it takes you out of the business of the park. 
Whispering Canyon Cafe- Wilderness Lodge Fun and good food! RAGLAND ROAD Irish Pub!! MUST GO!! It is in Downtown Disney and very Yummy!!
That is not an all inclusive list. Most of the food at Disney is good. It is expensive. You can go on their website and pick out the places before you go. Eat well at the hotel for breakfast. Bring a snack. Eat a good early supper and you should not have spent much more than you would have on other vacations. Have fun!!

QFan
Re:Orlando-Mouse Food Recommendations? - Mon, 04/12/10 8:09 PM
Billyboy, just wanted to thank you for those great & delectable looking pics of mouse land victuals. 
I've also visited the Savannah's in the Atlanta airport and tried their wonderful pralines as well as their melt in the mouth turtle candies. It's almost worth the trouble of having to go through Atlanta to get most anywhere north of here. 

QFan
Bonita Springs, FL

billyboy
Re:Orlando-Mouse Food Recommendations? - Mon, 04/12/10 10:20 PM
BillyB, yeah my girlfriend looks at me like I'm crazy sometimes, but she gets why I love the Roadfooding even though it isn't really her thing.

ang126, welcome to Roadfood!  Congrats on the first post!  

QFan, you're welcome.  More write-ups to come!

billyboy
Re:Orlando-Mouse Food Recommendations? - Mon, 04/12/10 11:08 PM

MONDAY 03/29/10 - Dayna and I started out with breakfast at the hotel food court.  Home fries and a made to order omelet (with ham, swiss, onions, peppers, mushrooms and tomatoes) for me.  Pretty straightforward and filling to get me going for the day.  

We split a nice, warm cinnamon bun for a quick sugar rush! Not the best I've ever had, but I enjoyed it.
Off to Disney's Animal Kingdom to check out a Lion King stage show, an African "safari", nature walk and to see the very interesting Tree of Life! It was an artistic re-creation of a tree with about 50 animals likenesses carved into it.
We stopped for lunch at Flame Tree Barbecue in the Discovery Island section of the park.
Dayna and I split a 1/2 slab of St. Louis ribs with slaw. beans, a Key Lime mousse parfait and we tacked on an order of onion rings.
The O-rings were pretty good and had a nice crunch to them.
Dayna liked the slaw while I found it to be somewhat bitter. I do prefer vinegar slaw anyway, so I may not be the best judge of a mayo based version.
The beans were straightforward baked beans, possibly with a bit of a dry crust on top from a heat lamp, but good nonetheless.
When I think of this dessert, I'm reminded of the 1985 John Cusack comedy, "Better Off Dead" where his mom makes him some kind of weird green gelatinous dinner thingie that she spoons onto his plate saying, "It has raisins in it. You like raisins!" His look of revulsion when it oozes onto his plate from the spoon is only matched by the horror on his face when the "meal" crawls off of his plate and moves across the table! This tasted and looked to me like it might get up and walk away at any moment.
The ribs were much better than I had expected. Not the best I have ever tried, but a good amount of meat on them that had a good smokey flavor and a nice rub on them.
The view from our table of Expedition Everest, a roller coaster.
Dinner was at the Yak & Yeti Restaurant in the Asia section of the park featuring a Pan-Asian menu.
We started out with vegetable potstickers...
Chili Spiced chicken wings...
and Egg Rolls. My apologies again for not taking notes. These were for the whole table to split and all were delicious.  
This hippo was beautiful and I was struggling with the camera and missed a perfect shot of him poking his head out of the water with his jaw wide open!

I was wondering if he sat there contemplating my presence?

See how many different animals you can find on the tree of life!

<message edited by billyboy on Tue, 04/13/10 12:28 AM>

leethebard
Re:Orlando-Mouse Food Recommendations? - Tue, 04/13/10 5:21 AM
Wow...great report..bringing back some great memories of WDW...and great food memories there,too...thanks!

Mosca
  • Total Posts : 2929
Re:Orlando-Mouse Food Recommendations? - Tue, 04/13/10 11:41 AM
We're heading down to Mouseville in June. We're kind of set on our eats, we know our way around WDW and Orlando pretty well after 8 trips. The explosion of use of the Disney Dining Plan has drastically altered the landscape of the WDW food scene over the last few years.

1) The food is much, MUCH better than it was 10 years ago. Back in the 90s, other than a couple places there really wasn't anything worth mentioning. Now you can pretty much spend a week there without having a bad meal, and in fact you can get some pretty good meals and even some great ones. That being said, there are some pretty bad meals there, too. It's not as if everything is good, you still need advice. But because DDP users won't repurchase unless the food is good, the food has gotten much better.

2) The DDP also means that people who get it want to maximize their return on investment, and that means sit down dinners, and THAT means Advance Dining Reservations. You want to eat at Le Cellier? 180 days in advance, friend. 50s Prime Time? 90 days.

3) And that means that the days of just walking up to many restaurants and seeing if they can take you are gone. There's no chance at Le Cellier; we tried the last two times and were told politely that it wasn't going to happen. We had success at San Angel, though, and at 1900 Park Faire in the Grand Floridian (but the food there is not so good), and at Ohana in the Polynesian (where the food is pretty decent).

4) There's good and bad to the Dining Plan, and everyone has their needs. The biggest complaints are that it ties you into scheduling your trip around the planned meals, and that it's just too much food. One couple writes to the Unofficial Guide to WDW (highly recommended) that they had just finished their lunch and found that they only had 45 minutes before they had to start on their way to another location in order to be there at the recommended time for their dinner reservations! That is a bit extreme, but it shows what can happen.

5) You can now make your Advance Dining Reservations online! No more calling and waiting for an operator! You want to go to Hollywood Studios and lunch at Mama Melrose, but don't know which day? Make reservations for ALL the days!

We don't do the DDP, because we are going to spend 2 days at Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure, and we don't like to overly plan our vacations. We are at Boma the first night, Hoopty Doo Musical Review the second night, and 50s Prime time the 4th night, and everything else is going to be on the fly. We'll try to walk into Ohana one night, otherwise whatever happens, happens. There's an Italian place on Citywalk at Universal that is decent, we'll eat there one night.

TJ Jackson
Re:Orlando-Mouse Food Recommendations? - Tue, 04/13/10 12:00 PM
It is possible to walk into Le Cellier as long as you are willing to come in at an off-peak time and during the week.  By possible....I mean possible, not certain.  2:30-4:30pm on a weekday is when I would try a walkin - or shortly after fireworks start, or right as the doors open

That said, I concur with Mosca that reservations are the way to go

Even if your visit isn't 180 days away, talk to the operator - ask if there are any available spots on any of the days you will be at the park.   Generally, there will be a few spots left, just not necessarily at the times one might normally prefer to sit down for a steak.

(for sake of clarity - if my family and I are at Epcot, we're eating one meal Le Cellier regardless of what time of day a reservation is available, and the other meal is negotiable.)
<message edited by TJ Jackson on Tue, 04/13/10 12:04 PM>

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 60 of 103