BBQ spare ribs question

Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 61 to 120 of 121
Dr of BBQ
  • Total Posts : 3716
  • Reward points : 0
Re:BBQ spare ribs question - Sun, 02/14/10 11:29 PM
I have done a ton of research on BBQ (and other spellings) I collect notes but not always the refferances that go along with my notes, so forgive me but this came from a university study on BBQ, but I can't point you to that study.

The roads of the Southern United States are lined with a succession of grinning pigs, advertising the availability of barbecue in countless restaurants. The origins of barbecue in the South, however, are traceable to a period long before the smiling pig became a fixture on Southern roadsides. The etymology of the term is vague, but the most plausible theory states that the word "barbecue" is a derivative of the West Indian term "barbacoa," which denotes a method of slow-cooking meat over hot coals. Bon Appetit magazine blithely informs its readers that the word comes from an extinct tribe in Guyana who enjoyed "cheerfully spitroasting captured enemies." The Oxford English Dictionary traces the word back to Haiti, and others claim (somewhat implausibly) that "barbecue" actually comes from the French phrase "barbe a queue", meaning "from head to tail." Proponents of this theory point to the whole-hog cooking method espoused by some barbecue chefs. Tar Heel magazine posits that the word "barbecue" comes from a nineteenth century advertisement for a combination whiskey bar, beer hall, pool establishment and purveyor of roast pig, known as the BAR-BEER-CUE-PIG. The most convincing explanation is that the method of roasting meat over powdery coals, and blue smoke was picked up from indigenous peoples in the colonial period, and that "barbacoa" became "barbecue" in the lexicon of early settlers.

Dr of BBQ
Re:BBQ spare ribs question - Sun, 02/14/10 11:53 PM
Ice Cream Man

Wood + Fire + MEAT = BBQ.

There is a period on the end of that equation for a reason.

What did you forget the smoke before the period or you arguing in my favour.

Oh come on you can't have wood and fire with out smoke. LOL

But You can't have "True Q" with out the wood and fire by anyone's
definition.

You can make ribs any way you'd like but they remain ribs
not BBQ. They can be roasted, grilled, charbroiled, boiled,
(I shudder at boiled) or even deep fried, but they are not if
fixed any other way than slow and low over wood smoke
America's BBQ.

And something that is rarely noted by Road Food aficionados (who I
greatly respect) is the fact that if a community has had a good Mom
and Pop BBQ restaurant the chains don't do very well and in fact often
with in a year or two close.

I posted a note from National Restaurant News on this sometime
in the last year that was a portion of an interview with the founder of
Smokey Bones BBQ. He basically said BBQ is such a local food that it is
difficult if not impossible for a chain to prosper in an area that has had
a local history of good BBQ. And that to think that a chain style BBQ that
was exactly the same from one end of the country to the other would
most likely never work because BBQ is so different in different parts of
the country. Mustard vs Red Sauces, Sliced vs Pulled Pork, Pork vs Beef,
and the list is never ending but the one thing that remains is Wood Fires
and Low Temps, with Long Cooks.

Edit to add one other thought:

Unfortunately some people that grow up in an area that doesn't have
a strong local BBQ presence, through no fault of their own misunderstand
what BBQ really is. And often in those areas many non BBQ methods of
cooking foods are mislabeled and called BBQ. 

<message edited by Dr of BBQ on Mon, 02/15/10 12:15 AM>

Relentless
  • Total Posts : 150
Re:BBQ spare ribs question - Sun, 02/14/10 11:54 PM
One of the things that I find most interesting about BBQ is that it is different everywhere you go...and everyone thinks their method is the way, the truth and the light:-) Here in far Western KY pork shoulders or butts rule the roost. Hickory smoked of course. A hundred miles East in Owensboro it is all about mutton. Go across the river into Illinois a bit and you are likely to find picnics being smoked for the pork BBQ..and the sauce is totally different. Other areas have their own methods. I make a point of trying the Q everywhere I go. It is not always what I would call BBQ, but some of it is pretty good in it's own right.

To the original question. If the ribs are steamed, baked, boiled or whatever and then put on a grill and brushed with sauce....they might be good eatin', but they ain't BBQ around here.

Ice Cream Man
  • Total Posts : 1370
Re:BBQ spare ribs question - Mon, 02/15/10 12:57 AM
The way I like to BBQ is a way I've been doing it for years.
That's with wood coals and meat no smoke.
If you think wood coals have to smoke and stink up the meat you are doing it wrong.
I watch the professional BBQ'ers on TV and I wouldn't call their meat BBQ, I would call it slow roasted.
When you roast some thing you put it in an oven and that's what their big smokers are just big ovens with smoke inside.

Ice Cream Man
Re:BBQ spare ribs question - Mon, 02/15/10 1:08 AM
 Oh come on you can't have wood and fire with out smoke. LOL
Bull Sh** 

But You can't have "True Q" with out the wood and fire by anyone's
definition.

which denotes a method of slow-cooking meat over hot coals.(From your definition)

So the definition you posted is wrong or you only know one way to cook.

Relentless
  • Total Posts : 150
Re:BBQ spare ribs question - Mon, 02/15/10 9:03 AM
Well......nobody can say BBQ'ers don't have strong opinions. There is enough hot air in this thread to cook a whole hog

Ice Cream Man

The way I like to BBQ is a way I've been doing it for years.
That's with wood coals and meat no smoke.
If you think wood coals have to smoke and stink up the meat you are doing it wrong.
I watch the professional BBQ'ers on TV and I wouldn't call their meat BBQ, I would call it slow roasted.
When you roast some thing you put it in an oven and that's what their big smokers are just big ovens with smoke inside.

As has been pointed out by myself and others here, BBQ is a very regional thing. Techniques, methods and even meats will vary with the region. What you prefer will probably be what you grew up with and there is a lot of variation from region to region.

However most, on this forum, are going to be of the opinion that BBQ involves a style of cooking whose central tenet involves slow cooking over low heat, using various hardwoods as the source of heat and smoke. The pit, or  smoke oven as you call it, can be anything that provides a place for the meat and a way to contain the heat and smoke.

ICM- I have converted a few trailer truck loads of hickory into coals & then shoveled the coals into the pit. I am unsure as to how you are doing it, because we get plenty of smoke. I thought that was the point of staying up all night tending a fire and drinking beer. Smoking the meat is the point around here I am curious as to your location. And please do not take my reply as a personal attack...just using your post to make a point. It's all good!

<message edited by Relentless on Mon, 02/15/10 9:06 AM>

Ice Cream Man
Re:BBQ spare ribs question - Mon, 02/15/10 9:26 AM
Relentless
This thread was not about BBQ and is still not about BBQ.
It started off with a member asking for help and turned into an insult tournament.
Should I say this or just think it, Oh what the hell.

1bbqboy
  • Total Posts : 4542
Re:BBQ spare ribs question - Mon, 02/15/10 9:42 AM
It's the first word in the title

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17845
Re:BBQ spare ribs question - Mon, 02/15/10 9:50 AM
Ice Cream Man

Relentless
This thread was not about BBQ and is still not about BBQ.
It started off with a member asking for help and turned into an insult tournament.
Should I say this or just think it, Oh what the hell.

If it's not about barbeque then why is this thread slugged BBQ spare ribs question?
<message edited by Michael Hoffman on Mon, 02/15/10 9:51 AM>

Russ Jackson
  • Total Posts : 2257
Re:BBQ spare ribs question - Mon, 02/15/10 9:56 AM
The best way to make BBQ ribs is to first Boil them for 2 hours in lightly salted water. Make sure its a heavy boil and add water as needed. Let cool and paint ribs with alot of ketchup and then put under broiler to carmelize the ketchup. These are YUMMO. Everyone raves and says these are THE BEST EVER. I think I will open up a BBQ shack. What do you think?...Russ

kman160
  • Total Posts : 160
Re:BBQ spare ribs question - Mon, 02/15/10 10:32 AM
Russ I'm there!

Michael Hoffman
Re:BBQ spare ribs question - Mon, 02/15/10 10:55 AM
What? No Liquid Smoke?

Russ Jackson
Re:BBQ spare ribs question - Mon, 02/15/10 11:08 AM
I knew I forgot something.

Thanks Michael add 2 tablespoons per cup of Ketchup. If you want that real authentic BBQ taste add 3 Tablespoons per cup. YUMMO I cant wait to make them again...Russ

waydeg
  • Total Posts : 444
Re:BBQ spare ribs question - Mon, 02/15/10 11:09 AM
Russ Jackson

The best way to make BBQ ribs is to first Boil them for 2 hours in lightly salted water. Make sure its a heavy boil and add water as needed. Let cool and paint ribs with alot of ketchup and then put under broiler to carmelize the ketchup. These are YUMMO. Everyone raves and says these are THE BEST EVER. I think I will open up a BBQ shack. What do you think?...Russ

Russ - you love kicking the big dog in the n$#@, don't you?
This thread has gone from friendly inquiry to an argument on whose %&*# is bigger.
Grits - It's your place - do what you want. If the place is empty in 6 months, reevaluate. If it's packed, enjoy your success. You may then crown yourself the Emperor of BBQ

I think I'll open up a Mexican restaurant and serve bologna fajitas!
Or maybe some catfish sushi...

Michael Hoffman
Re:BBQ spare ribs question - Mon, 02/15/10 11:09 AM
My pleasure. I'm always willing to help.

1bbqboy
Re:BBQ spare ribs question - Mon, 02/15/10 11:21 AM
http://miyassushi.com/foot.html

Recently catfish wiggled its way into my menu. Historically, when sushi cuisine used freshwater fish such as carp (narezushi), it is not outlandish to surmise that catfish may have also been used. When you think of it that way, suddenly, it’s not that strange that you’re eating catfish sushi. My most basic catfish sushi is named the Catfish Blues. Its recipe is simple and good in the way a cat- fish po’ boy is. The Greatest Sushi South Of The Mason-Dixon (the vegetable version is the Apple Bottom Sushi) is my way of tipping my hat to the south’s greatest shared creation: Soul Food. This sushi recipe is especially time consuming to prepare but the ingredients are decidedly unglamorous...true to good old fash- ioned Southern cooking. I use grits, fried catfish (marinated overnight in lots of spice and garlic) and okra and lots of Cheddar cheese and hot hot spices which results in perhaps the heartiest roll in the history of sushi...or at least in the history of Miya’s Sushi. I use grits in lieu of rice because there’s nothing more American than corn and this is sushi that could have only been born here in America. My recipe for grits is inspired by Mary Margaret’s famous cheese grits, one of my favorite things to eat while I’m in Texas...or anywhere else for that matter. I chose not to use a more sophisticated cheese than cheddar because there is no cheese that says working class American more than bright yellow Cheddar. If you were to replace the Cheddar in macaroni and cheese it would no longer be that wonderful dish of our youth. Similarly, if I were to put Camembert in this roll or steamed it instead of frying it in cornmeal...it simply would be robbed of it’s Southern Soul. It is safe to say that Fats Domino probably didn’t like sushi but I imag- ine that he would have loved the Apple Bottom Sushi with some cornbread and some black eyed peas!

not so far fetched

NYPIzzaNut
  • Total Posts : 3127
Re:BBQ spare ribs question - Mon, 02/15/10 11:52 AM
waydeg

Russ Jackson

Russ - you love kicking the big dog in the n$#@, don't you?
This thread has gone from friendly inquiry to an argument on whose %&*# is bigger.
Grits - It's your place - do what you want. If the place is empty in 6 months, reevaluate. If it's packed, enjoy your success. You may then crown yourself the Emperor of BBQ

I think I'll open up a Mexican restaurant and serve bologna fajitas!
Or maybe some catfish sushi...
I could see mortadella fajitas.

Dr of BBQ
Re:BBQ spare ribs question - Mon, 02/15/10 12:02 PM
And Caviar Sliders.

Michael Hoffman
Re:BBQ spare ribs question - Mon, 02/15/10 12:07 PM
Dr of BBQ

And Caviar Sliders.

Hey, I happen to like those.

Grits-N-Gravy
  • Total Posts : 98
Re:BBQ spare ribs question - Wed, 02/17/10 3:01 PM
I was just asking for a way to cook some ribs without dropping a ton of money into an expensive piece of equipment I would only use for one item. Really didnt think it would upset people so much.

I just figured this was a place to get some helpful feedback....and I thank the 2 folks that did offer that.

I promise if someone asks a question on southern cooking or steaks, I wont get all high and mighty...well, at least I promise to try and not be a total douche about it.

Grits-N-Gravy
Re:BBQ spare ribs question - Wed, 02/17/10 3:03 PM
Russ Jackson

lol. You know what they say.."ketchup makes everything taste better".

1bbqboy
Re:BBQ spare ribs question - Wed, 02/17/10 3:04 PM
Grits-N-Gravy

I was just asking for a way to cook some ribs without dropping a ton of money into an expensive piece of equipment I would only use for one item. Really didnt think it would upset people so much.

I just figured this was a place to get some helpful feedback....and I thank the 2 folks that did offer that.

I promise if someone asks a question on southern cooking or steaks, I wont get all high and mighty...well, at least I promise to try and not be a total douche about it.

Aw, GnG....
You just got an official roadfood fraternity welcome.
Consider yourself "in".
PS: I'd love to hear about your southern cooking experiences.
<message edited by bill voss on Wed, 02/17/10 9:59 PM>

Grits-N-Gravy
Re:BBQ spare ribs question - Wed, 02/17/10 3:26 PM
bill voss

Grits-N-Gravy

Aw, GnG....
Consider yourself "in".

lol, thanks Bill..In hindsight my error was to use the word BBQ..seems like vaginas got so inflammed, some didnt bother to read my post.

NYPIzzaNut
Re:BBQ spare ribs question - Wed, 02/17/10 3:35 PM
Grits-N-Gravy

bill voss

Grits-N-Gravy

Aw, GnG....
Consider yourself "in".

lol, thanks Bill..In hindsight my error was to use the word BBQ..seems like vaginas got so inflammed, some didnt bother to read my post.
I know the feeling - don't sweat the small stuff!

BillyB
  • Total Posts : 2851
Re:BBQ spare ribs question - Wed, 02/17/10 4:08 PM
1000 people = 1000 different ways = 1000 different tastes= 1000 different people thinking their BBQ is the best.

If you have to boil ribs, your using the wrong ribs. All you get is boiled meat with a BBQ sauce.........Slow heat, good rub, fall off the bone flavor............................

sanoma
  • Total Posts : 8
Re:BBQ spare ribs question - Wed, 02/17/10 4:15 PM
Grits-N-Gravy

We found this thread funny, interesting....and well full of passion in some cases.

It's your business and you have been provided some solutions to accomplish your offering of Ribs, we say give it a try and see how it works.

We vend ribs texasribwagon dot com, but like to see others attempt to learn something new due to a lack of a BBQ pit, or the space to place one - go for it and let us know how it turns out.

<message edited by sanoma on Wed, 02/17/10 4:20 PM>

Russ Jackson
Re:BBQ spare ribs question - Wed, 02/17/10 4:26 PM
Boil them until they are grey in color and the bones are chalky white. Then slather up the Ketchup and Liquid smoke...Russ

You can even baste them in straight liquid smoke.
<message edited by Russ Jackson on Wed, 02/17/10 4:27 PM>

NYPIzzaNut
Re:BBQ spare ribs question - Wed, 02/17/10 4:39 PM
BillyB
1000 people = 1000 different ways = 1000 different tastes= 1000 different people thinking their BBQ is the best.
The same principle applies to other foods that are huge - like pizza.

BillyB
Re:BBQ spare ribs question - Wed, 02/17/10 5:04 PM
NYPIzzaNut

BillyB
The same principle applies to other foods that are huge - like pizza.

You are so right, I see people bragging about some pizzas that I wouldn't sever to my dog.

THE WILD DOG
  • Total Posts : 1465
Re:BBQ spare ribs question - Wed, 02/17/10 5:37 PM
Hey ya know what... to each their own. There are food snobs on here for sure... but then again, there's nothing wrong with that if you're running a business.

People eat ribs many different ways. Me personally. I have an old family receipe that I prefer. I boil the ribs for a few & then toss them in the pan with some s&p  bake em up and throw the sauce on 5 -10 mins before they come out and let me tell ya... they're bangin, especially on a bed of white rice.  No smoke at all.

I've never had " real " " Q "  before and I don't think I ever will, and im not really worried about it. 

Russ Jackson
Re:BBQ spare ribs question - Wed, 02/17/10 6:37 PM
THE WILD DOG

Hey ya know what... to each their own. There are food snobs on here for sure... but then again, there's nothing wrong with that if you're running a business.

People eat ribs many different ways. Me personally. I have an old family receipe that I prefer. I boil the ribs for a few & then toss them in the pan with some s&p  bake em up and throw the sauce on 5 -10 mins before they come out and let me tell ya... they're bangin, especially on a bed of white rice.  No smoke at all.

I've never had " real " " Q "  before and I don't think I ever will, and im not really worried about it. 

Do you really boil them?
And why would you not try real BBQ? I am sorry but that is wrong in many ways. Thats kind of like going thru life without sex....Russ

THE WILD DOG
Re:BBQ spare ribs question - Wed, 02/17/10 7:41 PM
Only boil them if they are pork, & I don't live in BBQ country... It's not really a big thing where I am &  they are only boiled or nuked for a few minutes.

Russ Jackson
Re:BBQ spare ribs question - Wed, 02/17/10 8:30 PM
THE WILD DOG

Only boil them if they are pork, & I don't live in BBQ country... It's not really a big thing where I am &  they are only boiled or nuked for a few minutes.

I like you THE WILD DOG you are alright...From now on I will nuke them with KETCHUP...Russ

THE WILD DOG
Re:BBQ spare ribs question - Wed, 02/17/10 8:49 PM
Russ Jackson

THE WILD DOG

I like you THE WILD DOG you are alright...From now on I will nuke them with KETCHUP...Russ

Russ, just make sure it's that cheap generic catch up  <---  I wouldn't have it any other way... Hell I don't even boil the rice... I eat it raw with my ribs.

THE WILD DOG
Re:BBQ spare ribs question - Wed, 02/17/10 8:50 PM
Hell I might even open up a rib shack around my way next to a strip club... Call it           RIB & TITS

Grits-N-Gravy
Re:BBQ spare ribs question - Thu, 02/18/10 11:14 PM
Yeah, and when we get the boiled ketchup ribs perfected we can drag a trailor down to the County Fair and make a killing!! We all know thats the spot to find REAL BBQ fans...well there and in the parking lot of the VFW on Bingo night.

Curbside Grill
  • Total Posts : 3916
Re:BBQ spare ribs question - Fri, 02/19/10 1:05 AM
Grits-N-Gravy do what you want to. Hell I'd eat there.
Your venue sounds as if people want ribs so be it. They want Southern that to.
Do you know how many McRib sandwichs are sold a year and people yearn for them.
I am going to McD's for BBQ.
but easy to do, cutlet and Bullseye,slow cooked,crockpot,with onion.
Most aren't BBQ people. Fire up the grill slather sauce on and serve. Every weekend in the backyards across America.
That is what most people call BBQ.  Granted you are butting heads with true BBQ people.
3-5 here and Orlando has how many people and how many visitors.  

Have to add that while I was shopping other day 10-12 people looked and I counted 8 people buying.
http://www.lloydsbbq.com/products_ribs_bbqpork.asp
<message edited by Curbside Grill on Fri, 02/19/10 1:29 AM>

Curbside Grill
Re:BBQ spare ribs question - Fri, 02/19/10 7:25 AM
Grits-N-Gravy

Yeah, and when we get the boiled ketchup ribs perfected we can drag a trailor down to the County Fair and make a killing!! We all know thats the spot to find REAL BBQ fans...well there and in the parking lot of the VFW on Bingo night.

Quite different here. I did alot of  time in and around middle Fl, thirty plus years. Best BBQ anywhere. is in Auburndale, FL. Google Peeples BBQ.
I remember when they did not have seating, late 70's added seating.  you sit around the pits now. Only open Thur- Sat.  9mos. a year. They summer in WV, where there family is from.

And the rattlesnake and 'Cooter" softshell turle was unreal here also Auburndale.  Allen's closed 96-97 HE passed away and family sold. He was a Fl. Cracker.
http://www.dizzyrambler.com/features/AllensCafe/cafemain.html

lornaschinske
  • Total Posts : 1610
Re:BBQ spare ribs question - Fri, 02/19/10 12:46 PM
A lot of folks either do not have not do they care to have the equipment needed to make "real" BBQ.  Even more do not know nor do they like "real" BBQ.  If there was only one way to do BBQ then there wouldn't be things like the Big Pig Jig down in Vienna (and our fav area BBQ joint didn't even enter... http://www.smoakies.com/).  While I do love a good dry rub, slow cooked BBQ, I'm not into doing it myself. I have eaten plenty of good, tasty food in profitable restaurants that were cooked differently from other good, profitable restaurants.  Lighten up guys it's just food!  It's just got to taste good!  Not everyone has the same tastes, otherwise there would be very few restaurants in this world.

CD kitchen lists 434 recipes for Ribs but here are the "Copycat's":
The oven/grills  are cooked in the oven then finished up on a grill.

Applebee's sells lots of ribs yet their Baby Back Ribs Recipe calls for the ribs to be simmered for 1 hour... there are a lot of recipes that call for parboiling the ribs. And they yield good tasting food.
BB King's Blues CLub And Restaurant  grill
Claim Jumper grill
Charlie Vergos grill
Chili's oven/grill
Hard Rock Cafe oven/grill
Roadhouse Grill oven/grill
Smokey Joe's Cafe oven
Topny Roma's oven/grill
Uptown 29's oven/grill

BillyB
Re:BBQ spare ribs question - Fri, 02/19/10 1:32 PM
I bet you don't see many BBQ cook off competitions boiling ribs. Just because a restaurant does it, doesn't make it right. Boiling any kind of meat only takes the juices out of the meat. The meat may get tender, but it will not have flavor. My rule for cooking ribs is low heat, slow as you go, tender and juicy.......Bank on it, boiling ribs is for spare Ribs and Kraut in Poland................Billyb

Russ Jackson
Re:BBQ spare ribs question - Fri, 02/19/10 1:47 PM
lornaschinske

A lot of folks either do not have not do they care to have the equipment needed to make "real" BBQ.  Even more do not know nor do they like "real" BBQ.  If there was only one way to do BBQ then there wouldn't be things like the Big Pig Jig down in Vienna (and our fav area BBQ joint didn't even enter... http://www.smoakies.com/).  While I do love a good dry rub, slow cooked BBQ, I'm not into doing it myself. I have eaten plenty of good, tasty food in profitable restaurants that were cooked differently from other good, profitable restaurants.  Lighten up guys it's just food!  It's just got to taste good!  Not everyone has the same tastes, otherwise there would be very few restaurants in this world.

CD kitchen lists 434 recipes for Ribs but here are the "Copycat's":
The oven/grills  are cooked in the oven then finished up on a grill.

Applebee's sells lots of ribs yet their Baby Back Ribs Recipe calls for the ribs to be simmered for 1 hour... there are a lot of recipes that call for parboiling the ribs. And they yield good tasting food.
BB King's Blues CLub And Restaurant  grill
Claim Jumper grill
Charlie Vergos grill
Chili's oven/grill
Hard Rock Cafe oven/grill
Roadhouse Grill oven/grill
Smokey Joe's Cafe oven
Topny Roma's oven/grill
Uptown 29's oven/grill

People whom have never had real BBQ will eat at these places. After 1 experience with real BBQ people wil never frequent these places for ribs again.
Chilis,Applebees,Roadhouse Grill, and Hard Rock are inedible. The McRib is more like Pork Bubble Gum. NOBODY SHOULD EVER BOIL RIBS! This includes Par-Boiling and Simmering. This is a disrespect to the meat. This is my opinion and not necessarily the opinion of other roadfood members. And one of the 13 commandments of food.

You can find other food violations according to Russ and others in this thread. And remember keep you fingers out of the Pickle Jar...Russ

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/tm.aspx?m=352254&high=commandments
<message edited by Russ Jackson on Fri, 02/19/10 1:51 PM>

lornaschinske
Re:BBQ spare ribs question - Fri, 02/19/10 5:25 PM

You can find other food violations according to Russ and others in this thread. And remember keep you fingers out of the Pickle Jar...Russ

That is your opinion.  There are plenty of places that make good $$ cooking this way.  It's kinda like many folks who say that no Yankee can make good BBQ.  Your opinion is just that YOUR opinion.  And as far as I am concerned, your opinion (and others) does not count with me. You are not the Food Police, and you will stay away from any food that I eat.  And I will eat out of my pickle jar any time that I feel like it since I am the one who bought it.

DawnT
  • Total Posts : 1286
Re:BBQ spare ribs question - Fri, 02/19/10 5:33 PM
Just because the copycat recipes boil the ribs, it doesn't mean the actual establisments do. Ditto variations on the foil bag/foil covered pan method. In particular, there's a copycat Tony Roma's recipe floating around that's from Todd Wilbur that calls for that method. TR's smokes and turns their ribs out on a char grill last I recall. Either way makes for a rib that can be put under a broiler without too much trouble, but bears little relationship to the original. Not too many folks have the means to smoke and grill.

Dr of BBQ
Re:BBQ spare ribs question - Fri, 02/19/10 6:55 PM
Dawn not picking on you but your final point is way wrong.

This day and age anyone can afford a Weber grill and I have been in a Memphis in May Contest where the winner of the Whole Hog Division won using a Weber grill. Granted he used a small hog but the end result is the same.

And it's been mentioned here in this thread numerous times to smoke good ribs requires one thing and only one thing that the heat level be low and prolonged. LOW AND SLOW.

you can use a clay flower pot, you can use a garbage can, hopefully a clean new one. You can use an old junk fridge, or the trunk of an old car, yes there is one smoker that is a real 1957 chevy.

You can in fact use a whole in the ground or even a wooden box, all that is required is a low heat level and long smoke time. And just because you put BBQ sauce on meat doesn't make it BBQ, or smoked or even good. LOL.....

Calling boiled ribs BBQ would be like calling a Campbells crock pot recipe French Cuisine. Yes they both have a sauce but they are not the same. LOL

Jack

Russ Jackson
Re:BBQ spare ribs question - Fri, 02/19/10 7:38 PM
lornaschinske

That is your opinion.  There are plenty of places that make good $$ cooking this way.  It's kinda like many folks who say that no Yankee can make good BBQ.  Your opinion is just that YOUR opinion.  And as far as I am concerned, your opinion (and others) does not count with me. You are not the Food Police, and you will stay away from any food that I eat.  And I will eat out of my pickle jar any time that I feel like it since I am the one who bought it.

This is my opinion and not necessarily the opinion of other roadfood members.

I agree that it is just my opinion. Thats why added this disclaimer. This is my opinion and not necessarily the opinion of other roadfood members.     Just like yourself I don't have to agree with the opinion of others either. I am not the Food Police. But my theory of peoples tastes being contaminated by 25 years of processed over salted food remains true. How people can feel Damons or Applebees ribs are good amazes me. The only excuses I have for this is my theory and lack of people ever trying the real thing. Common sense would tell you that boiling is a bad thing. As to shoving dirty fingers into a pickle jar. If its your pickle jar and thats the way you were taught to eat food then so be it. Please warn others if they ask to have a pickle from your jar or label it my fingers and everything else I touched today are in this jar. Because if one was too lazy to use a fork then they are too lazy to wash there hands. Kind of like all the people I see leave a restroom without washing.  My Father would have broke my fingers if I did it growing up. Same with Double Dipping. But hey that's just me.

...Russ
<message edited by Russ Jackson on Fri, 02/19/10 8:26 PM>

Michael Hoffman
Re:BBQ spare ribs question - Fri, 02/19/10 7:51 PM
I really cannot understand how people can call something that has not been barbequed, barbeque. I mean, that's like calling orange marmelade lobster.

DawnT
Re:BBQ spare ribs question - Fri, 02/19/10 9:00 PM
Jack,

I know nothing about the size and (s)urban density of Springfield. IL or what your zoning and residential codes are like. Bear in mind that many of us live in dense urban areas,condos,developments,and planned communities with very restrictive codes, covenants, and bylaws that prohibit virtually any type of grilling or smoking. It's easy to take that for granted living in an area that has no problems with backyard or patio grilling, smoking, or living on acreage that has no land use restrictions. I lived for nearly two years in a suburb of TN. To those people, it was incredulous that some of the communities here don't allow the erection of a tv antenna, even painting your living room or doing minor maintenance without pulling a permit.

In my case, you're preaching to the choir. My dad over the years had built several smokers made from old 'fridges. I grew up learning to smoke everything from Mullet to meat using the tradional local woods of scrub oak and citrus.

Grits-N-Gravy
Re:BBQ spare ribs question - Wed, 02/24/10 11:01 PM
After the input here, some toying with recipes, and much honest discussion with my partner, we have decided to not do ribs on our opening menu...Thanks for the feedback...

Curbside Grill
Re:BBQ spare ribs question - Thu, 02/25/10 10:18 AM
I don't care what you call it, still the majority of our population is in the grocery stores buying ribs to BBQ for the weekend and they grill them. Their terminology. Not saying right not saying wrong, people as a whole.
Slap that sauce on them puppies and walla BBQ Ribs.

Have to add I do ribs in the oven, on the grill and in the smokers. Depends on our mood.
Guests comment Oh you BBQ'd  I keep my mouth shut. Their calling.
<message edited by Curbside Grill on Thu, 02/25/10 10:47 AM>

lornaschinske
Re:BBQ spare ribs question - Thu, 02/25/10 3:26 PM
DawnT

... some of the communities here don't allow the erection of a tv antenna, even painting your living room or doing minor maintenance without pulling a permit.

.....Mullet...

You also forgot to add no pickup trucks are allowed in some communities (Jupiter-Tequesta banned even non-business PU's back in the 70's), You can't even replace a few shingles unless you have a permit (Panama City Beach).  No TV antennas, Clotheslines, only certain types of fences and your grass can't be over a certain height, and you can't have a non-working vehicle even locked up in a garage (Port St. Lucie... left in 1981... shortly after the city pulled a neighbor's vintage car he was restoring out of his locked garage... it had been sitting on concrete blocks while he was working on it.... nice fight).  When we left FL, PSL (a working community...mostly construction) was trying to ban pick-up trucks. I don't think the succeeded.  FL is just crazy... we'll never go back.

I miss mullet... I actually saw it on the menu in Red Lobster in Chattanooga, TN. I haven't had mullet since we left Cordele GA... Blackbeard's in Albany has an All-You-Can-Eat fried mullet plate (1st plate is heaping)... yummy!  My uncle (commercial fisherman) used it as bait so we ate a lot of mullet when times were hard (all FL natives ate mullet since we were pretty much all "poor")... he threw a 20 to 25 ft cast net.  A picture was in one of the National Geo mags of him throwing one of his big cast nets.  The type of life I had growing up is long gone in FL. I don't think that is an improvement. My cousin (commercial fisherman) says LA (Louisiana not Lower Alabama) says it's a lot like old FL.

People do not understand that they can get all kinds of things zoned out.  I too, find some of the statements of some of the folks on this forum, naive at best.  They have no idea that it can happen in their neighbourhood.  One day, they will not be able to toss a hamburger on their backyard grill because someone objects to the smoke!  Enjoy it while you can.

Curbside Grill
Re:BBQ spare ribs question - Thu, 02/25/10 4:35 PM
Left Fl as reg.'s unreal to contend with. Had some smoked mullet last weekend.
And people laugh but having neck bones and rice tonite.

1bbqboy
Re:BBQ spare ribs question - Thu, 02/25/10 5:32 PM
lornaschinske

DawnT

... some of the communities here don't allow the erection of a tv antenna, even painting your living room or doing minor maintenance without pulling a permit.

.....Mullet...

You also forgot to add no pickup trucks are allowed in some communities (Jupiter-Tequesta banned even non-business PU's back in the 70's), You can't even replace a few shingles unless you have a permit (Panama City Beach).  No TV antennas, Clotheslines, only certain types of fences and your grass can't be over a certain height, and you can't have a non-working vehicle even locked up in a garage (Port St. Lucie... left in 1981... shortly after the city pulled a neighbor's vintage car he was restoring out of his locked garage... it had been sitting on concrete blocks while he was working on it.... nice fight).  When we left FL, PSL (a working community...mostly construction) was trying to ban pick-up trucks. I don't think the succeeded.  FL is just crazy... we'll never go back.

I miss mullet... I actually saw it on the menu in Red Lobster in Chattanooga, TN. I haven't had mullet since we left Cordele GA... Blackbeard's in Albany has an All-You-Can-Eat fried mullet plate (1st plate is heaping)... yummy!  My uncle (commercial fisherman) used it as bait so we ate a lot of mullet when times were hard (all FL natives ate mullet since we were pretty much all "poor")... he threw a 20 to 25 ft cast net.  A picture was in one of the National Geo mags of him throwing one of his big cast nets.  The type of life I had growing up is long gone in FL. I don't think that is an improvement. My cousin (commercial fisherman) says LA (Louisiana not Lower Alabama) says it's a lot like old FL.

People do not understand that they can get all kinds of things zoned out.  I too, find some of the statements of some of the folks on this forum, naive at best.  They have no idea that it can happen in their neighbourhood.  One day, they will not be able to toss a hamburger on their backyard grill because someone objects to the smoke!  Enjoy it while you can.

If you banned Pickup trucks in Oregon, you'd lose 1/2 the population  

<message edited by bill voss on Thu, 02/25/10 5:34 PM>

DawnT
Re:BBQ spare ribs question - Thu, 02/25/10 8:05 PM
Interesting that you mentioned PSL. My parents owned a condo on Hutchinson Island/Jensen Beach that they sold about '86. The place got entirely out of control and the climate was like living in a Kafkaesque minefield. Trucks became an issue and that was among the final straws especially for my dad who depended on his truck. First no commercial vehicles then a complete ban on trucks. The crazy part was many of the folks that lived there either worked for the power plant nearby or were involved in the construction on Hutchinson island.  That's nothing in comparison to communities with bans on commercial vehicles forbiding police officers from bringing home their police cruisers. Won't even let them park them in their garages.  

Regarding the mullet. There was a secret to doing good, smoked mullet. You didn't want to use the smaller east coast mullet. You wanted the larger black mullet from the west coast. I don't think that most people would appreciate the taste unless you either grew up eating it or acquired the taste. It's also great grilled over charcoal too. Definitely po-folks food with rice and pigeon peas. You may not have much money, but you're eating better then a millionaire. 

As far as municipal code restrictions go, the official fire code technically restricts an open flame or charcoal grill to be placed 15' from the nearest dwelling. In most of the county, that's near impossible on a city lot back yard and even worse in a development or planned community. Condos are supposed to prohibit grilling on terraces. When it comes to smoke, that's a whole different problem with enviornmental regulation and unlike fire, they are mercenary when they get involved. Even small amounts of smoke are considered polution. It's generally not enforced in non-communal residential areas unless a neighbor complains.

lornaschinske
Re:BBQ spare ribs question - Thu, 02/25/10 11:20 PM
DawnT

Interesting that you mentioned PSL. My parents owned a condo on Hutchinson Island/Jensen Beach that they sold about '86.

My Dad probably installed the ceramic tile. I was born/raised in Ft. Pierce (7th gen Floridian). I worked on Hutchinson Island on the Ft Pierce end while in college.  My husband lived in Stuart.  I have family in Jupiter... my grand father used to own a block in Jupiter (old original part). David & I lived in Stuart, Ft Pierce & PSL before packing it up and moving to NC for good.  David & I met in Johnathon Dickenson State Park.  There are a lot of really good memories in that area.  And I watched it get ruined.  Makes me want to cry... and I did when we stayed in Panama City Beach.... All that construction on the beach on top of the dunes and sea oats.

Did you ever eat at Shakra's... used to be in Rio but moved to Jensen? I miss their Roast Beef Supreme but it didn't seem as good when we tracked them down after moving to NC... I think it was because they didn't have that old oven anymore.  I loved living/eating in Stuart.  It was called the Restaurant Capital of The World because they had more restaurants per capital than any other city.

DawnT
Re:BBQ spare ribs question - Fri, 02/26/10 12:09 AM
No, think the only place that I ever ate at in a restaurant up there was a place called The Captain's Table. Truthfully, I tried to stay away from both of my parents as much as possible then and it was a relief to my daughters and myself for them to have bought the condo and spend most of the month up there. We lived in a garage apartment behind their house and the constant interference was unbearable. My dad traveled statewide and the condo up there made it convenient for him and a home away from home for my Mom. The kids and I went up there a few times and condo life was like living in a prison and we hated it. It's a world away from life as the kids knew it living here in Miami. My parents had some property in Indiantown that we'd go visit on weekends when I was a kid. I vaugely remember going to town in Stuart. That was around '59-'64. Went camping in JD up in Jupiter several times during the 60's.

lornaschinske
Re:BBQ spare ribs question - Fri, 02/26/10 1:11 PM
The nice thing about my family... I don't live near them any more.  Too far to go visit!

NYPIzzaNut
Re:BBQ spare ribs question - Fri, 02/26/10 1:15 PM
What happened to the ribs chat?

Michael Hoffman
Re:BBQ spare ribs question - Fri, 02/26/10 1:25 PM
NYPIzzaNut

What happened to the ribs chat?

It ended when Grits-N-Gravy said he and his partner decided not to add ribs to their offerings.

BBQ BOB 2
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:BBQ spare ribs question - Fri, 11/12/10 12:42 PM
Does anyone out there have a good clone for Bone Suckin' Sauce's Dry Rub?

BBQ BOB 2

edwhite12
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:BBQ spare ribs question - Tue, 08/21/12 9:53 AM
at what temp and how long do you cook and hold the spare tibs in the alto sham ?

Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 61 to 120 of 121