Helpful ReplyBBQ spare ribs question

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Hamburger
2010/02/12 14:07:27
From looking at some pics here, I know I'm in the right place.

I'm working on my menu and am  undecided on offering ribs. My concept is grill heavy (no pastas), and I would like to offer ribs. Doing steaks, chicken, pork chops, seafood off a hickory fired grill.

I have a couple of uses for BBQ sauce, so I'll already have that on hand.

What I wont have is a smoker.

My question is could I make some good spares using a oven or Sham?

Thanks in advance.
post edited by Grits-N-Gravy - 2010/02/12 14:09:56
kman160
Cheeseburger
Re:BBQ spare ribs question 2010/02/12 14:21:10
good maybe-great doubtful
sauce does not make good good 'que, it masks the mistakes
low & slow with real wood is only way to go
Ice Cream Man
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:BBQ spare ribs question 2010/02/12 14:24:12
I don't like smoked meat.
I should take a sh** kicking for saying that.
I think you can have good BBQ without smoking the hell out of it.
A lot of snow birds probably would agree.
Ice Cream Man
Re:BBQ spare ribs question 2010/02/12 14:27:42
No sauce for me just the clean cooked ribs that melt in your mouth, I love the taste of the meat.
Grits-N-Gravy
Hamburger
Re:BBQ spare ribs question 2010/02/12 14:33:55
kman160

good maybe-great doubtful
sauce does not make good good 'que, it masks the mistakes
low & slow with real wood is only way to go

The ribs will not be my signature dish, nor the foundation of my concept. My goal is to get as far as I can up the "good" ladder with the equipment I have.

I used to work for a chain that used a Alto Sham to cook them. They put the ribs on a grate in a hotel pan, poured liquid smoke in the bottom, foiled them up and cooked them overnight at about 225..In the morning we pulled them, portioned and wrapped them, then finished them on the grill to order.

I'd really appreciate any guidance on this.

Thanks

1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
Re:BBQ spare ribs question 2010/02/12 14:35:24
Ice Cream Man

I don't like smoked meat.
I should take a sh** kicking for saying that.
I think you can have good BBQ without smoking the hell out of it.
A lot of snow birds probably would agree.

It isn't BBQ without the smoke, just Baked spicy ribs.
kman160
Cheeseburger
Re:BBQ spare ribs question 2010/02/12 15:13:26
noooooo-not liquid smoke
better no smoke flavoring than chemicals
knifeguy
Junior Burger
Re:BBQ spare ribs question 2010/02/12 15:16:49
Plenty of places make good ribs without smoke...low and slow!
Grits-N-Gravy
Hamburger
Re:BBQ spare ribs question 2010/02/12 15:17:38
recipe?
Russ Jackson
Re:BBQ spare ribs question 2010/02/12 15:25:58
Spice rub your ribs with your favorite rub. Wrap twice in foil. Must be airtight. Cook for 3 hours at 225. Open foil and cool to room temp as this will release water so they wont be slushy. Refrigerate until ready to finish on grill with sauce. Finishing on grill: Get grill very hot and place rib side down on grill with a little sauce brushed on. This will give the bottom some color so they dont look grey. Once it starts burning brush top with sauce and flip for 60 secs. Repeat this for or five times until look and color are acheived...Russ
Grits-N-Gravy
Hamburger
Re:BBQ spare ribs question 2010/02/12 15:32:48
Russ Jackson

Spice rub your ribs with your favorite rub. Wrap twice in foil. Must be airtight. Cook for 3 hours at 225. Open foil and cool to room temp as this will release water so they wont be slushy. Refrigerate until ready to finish on grill with sauce. Finishing on grill: Get grill very hot and place rib side down on grill with a little sauce brushed on. This will give the bottom some color so they dont look grey. Once it starts burning brush top with sauce and flip for 60 secs. Repeat this for or five times until look and color are acheived...Russ

Thank you, Russ.  I dont have a convection here at the house, is the 3 hours at 225 the same for a regular gas oven?

I dont want to push my luck, but,I'd be thankful for a solid BBQ recipe too..I was actually considering buying in sauce, but If I could find a pretty simple scratch recipe, I'd prefer that.

Thanks
Curbside Grill
Filet Mignon
Re:BBQ spare ribs question 2010/02/12 15:41:27
Now you might experiment with this
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/who-loves-ya-baby-back-recipe/index.html

Plus I use extra meaty Ribs Farmland
And have smokers outside. Just different, flavors different times.
Russ Jackson
Re:BBQ spare ribs question 2010/02/12 15:57:18
Standard oven. My BBQ Sauce is very labor intensive and I am not sure if I want it out there. Been working on it for 30 years and I am finally done. I will give you my rub recipe in the next couple days. It is labor intensive also and involves roasting spices and such. I will post it Monday here. You will never get the same results in an oven but you can make some great ribs in an oven. The best way to make ribs fast is in an Orion Cooker. Here is the link for the thread. You will find the thread very funny and informative. One of the top threads on roadfood and is must reading. However it is the best way to cook ribs outside of low and slow. I own one and it is a great product. You can cook 9 racks in less than 2 hours. You can buy one for about $129.
http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/Orion-Cooker-m258079.aspx

Here is a link to Orion
http://orionoutdoors.com/products/

.....Russ
post edited by Russ Jackson - 2010/02/12 16:04:00
Grits-N-Gravy
Hamburger
Re:BBQ spare ribs question 2010/02/12 16:33:25
Curbside Grill

Now you might experiment with this

Plus I use extra meaty Ribs Farmland
And have smokers outside. Just different, flavors different times.

thanks for the link Curb. Gonna try this one too.
As to the BBQ sauce, I friends with the owner of a pretty popular BBQ resto owner here in town. I may just buy my BBQ sauce from him, and give him credit on the menu. I really wont have time to do in depth rubs and sauces as I'm gonna be making Brushetta, Bries, Cobblers, cutting steaks, making meatloafs, dressings, etc, etc etc.

Thanks again for all the feedback. I hope I'll be able to repay the help here eventually.

Born in OKC
Cheeseburger
Re:BBQ spare ribs question 2010/02/12 17:04:05
There are several ways ribs can be cooked properly and they are good meat, even a deluxe meal with any of them.  But it is not real BBQ with out wood or with liquid smoke.   More, I don't know why, if you want to develop your own following,  you'd want to glop someone elses sauce on meat and serve that.
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
Re:BBQ spare ribs question 2010/02/12 18:20:13
If your going to serve steaks, chicken, pork chops, seafood off a hickory fired grill. Just get some frozen cheap steaks, junk chicken, thin pork chops, fake seafood and cook it all from the frozen state. Since your going to do crappy half way ribs best if the rest of your menu follows suit. Just think you could open and close in less than a year. WOW what a concept.

Excuse the sarcasm.

Your answer is no. You can make ribs tender, you can make ribs the right texture, you can give ribs the appearance (color) everyone looks for but they will never be acceptable to real BBQ fans.

BBQ restaurants open and close as often as other type restaurants (steak, seafood,fast food)  but the people that really like good BBQ are more particular than any other food group, that I know of.

Real BBQ cooks and just BBQ fans share one thing in common, and that is they (both groups) think they know exactly what good BBQ taste like.  Why try and fool someone and hurt your reputation?

Jack
Grits-N-Gravy
Hamburger
Re:BBQ spare ribs question 2010/02/12 18:27:15
Dr of BBQ

If your going to serve steaks, chicken, pork chops, seafood off a hickory fired grill. Just get some frozen cheap steaks, junk chicken, thin pork chops, fake seafood and cook it all from the frozen state. Since your going to do crappy half way ribs best if the rest of your menu follows suit. Just think you could open and close in less than a year. WOW what a concept.

Excuse the sarcasm.

Your answer is no. You can make ribs tender, you can make ribs the right texture, you can give ribs the appearance (color) everyone looks for but they will never be acceptable to real BBQ fans.

BBQ restaurants open and close as often as other type restaurants (steak, seafood,fast food)  but the people that really like good BBQ are more particular than any other food group, that I know of.

Real BBQ cooks and just BBQ fans share one thing in common, and that is they (both groups) think they know exactly what good BBQ taste like.  Why try and fool someone and hurt your reputation?

Jack

Glad to see your perception isnt skewered by your passion on a subject.
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
Re:BBQ spare ribs question 2010/02/12 19:47:56
LMFAO it really doesn't. I'm serious as a heart attack, Real BBQ cooks and BBQ fans share one thing in common, and that is they both think they know exactly what great BBQ taste like. And I might add they'll both tell everyone they can get to listen, about who sells fake ribs.

While I'm on the topic, think about it this way, If you make chicken soup you boil the chicken. Your basicly boiling the taste out of the chicken.

So never boil ribs unless your making rib soup. And cooking them in an oven is the same thing.

Jack
knifeguy
Junior Burger
Re:BBQ spare ribs question 2010/02/13 07:40:00
Your initial question has seemed to morphed from cooking ribs into a discussion of what good BBQ is. I have to agree that wood is required and necessary for a genuine BBQ spareribs however Ribs can be very tasty without the smoke. The Chinese and Koreans have been doing it for a long time. I think that it is possible to Cook your ribs low and slow and finish them in a multitude of ways. Develope a Chinese style sauce, Korean, add ribs to a nice homemade sourkraut and call em German. I bet you can come up with a Southwestern style (without mesquite!). 
A spare rib is an inferior cut of meat that has to be handled just the way most inferior cuts have to be handled. Braised or low and slow. Thats how BBQ was invented. The cheaper cuts were given to the farm workers who developed this particular method of cooking it to make it more palatable and as you see...very popular! 
Grits-N-Gravy
Hamburger
Re:BBQ spare ribs question 2010/02/13 07:56:27
Dr of BBQ

LMFAO it really doesn't. I'm serious as a heart attack, Real BBQ cooks and BBQ fans share one thing in common, and that is they both think they know exactly what great BBQ taste like. And I might add they'll both tell everyone they can get to listen, about who sells fake ribs.

While I'm on the topic, think about it this way, If you make chicken soup you boil the chicken. Your basicly boiling the taste out of the chicken.

So never boil ribs unless your making rib soup. And cooking them in an oven is the same thing.

Jack

Its pretty obvious it does.
As to your "BBQ fan" comment...I'm a BBQ fan myself.I grew within a 1/2 mile either way of 2 of the older BBQ joints in Georgia (Finchers BBQ and Tuckers BBQ)..in Macon/
You are a BBQ purist,and thats awesome. You guys make the world a better place. If I want off the charts ribs, Ive got a couple of spots to go to.
That said, you realize that the vast majority of the dining out public arent BBQ purists like you, dont you?

The assertion that me adding non-smoked ribs (not frozen, fake, crappy quality, etc, just oven cooked)to my menu would expose me as someone trying to serve "fake BBQ", and "hurt my reputation" is just silly.

Thats like saying if I order pasta at a Steakhouse and because their pasta isnt made fresh in house, I would be outraged and  expose them for serving fake pasta. I realize when ordering Pasta from a steakhouse its not going to be authentic Italian restaurant quailty. This analogy holds with all restaurants. Ive been with people that order a burger at a BBQ joint, and guess what?? It wasnt as good as it would be at a Grill/Bar that specializes in burgers. I have enough sense to know to go with a restaurants signature items, and realize if I go with something other than that, its a crap shoot.
I think we can agree Chili's doesnt serve the best ribs around, but they made a dang song about them..and I havent had one BBQ expert run up to me to tell me to avoid Chili's because "the serve fake ribs"..If they did, I'd laugh at them.

If a BBQ guy comes to my restaurant, I would hope they would have the good sense to know we arent a BBQ joint, and stick to our strong suits..Grilled steaks, Chops, southern dishes, etc.

anyway, I hope I dissagreed without being too disagreeable..thanks.
post edited by Grits-N-Gravy - 2010/02/13 08:08:38
Russ Jackson
Re:BBQ spare ribs question 2010/02/13 08:06:31
I agree with you Dr of BBQ completely. BBQ isn't slapping something on a propane grill and burning some sugar on it. Liquid Smoke is terrible. But you can cook Ribs or just about any meat in an oven and get quality flavor. Just don't try to pass it of as BBQ. Baked Ribs can be excellent but are totally different from BBQd Ribs. Doing true BBQ is right at the top of the difficulty scale. Most home cooks would not even know where to buy or pick out the correct meat. Let alone have the time or patience to learn how to cook low and slow. Or the expense of a quality set up. Of course they could start on a Weber and work their way up. Most people could never produce great BBQ and to tell you the truth most do not even know what it tastes like. Proof is in the fact that places like Damons, Applebees, Big Boys, Lone Star and many others try to call it BBQ and people buy it...Just My Opinion...Russ

The only time you boil any meat is to make stock. And that would really be a simmer. I think if you boil meat you go to a bad place when you die. Treat the Animal that died for you with respect.
Curbside Grill
Filet Mignon
Re:BBQ spare ribs question 2010/02/13 08:18:10
Grits-N-Gravy

Dr of BBQ

Jack

Its pretty obvious it does.
As to your "BBQ fan" comment...I'm a BBQ fan myself.I grew within a 1/2 mile either way of 2 of the older BBQ joints in Georgia (Finchers BBQ and Tuckers BBQ)..in Macon/
You are a BBQ purist,and thats awesome. You guys make the world a better place. If I want off the charts ribs, Ive got a couple of spots to go to.
That said, you realize that the vast majority of the dining out public arent BBQ purists like you, dont you?

The assertion that me adding non-smoked ribs (not frozen, fake, crappy quality, etc, just oven cooked)to my menu would expose me as someone trying to serve "fake BBQ", and "hurt my reputation" is just silly.

Thats like saying if I order pasta at a Steakhouse and because their pasta isnt made fresh in house, I would be outraged and  expose them for serving fake pasta. I realize when ordering Pasta from a steakhouse its not going to be authentic Italian restaurant quailty. This analogy holds with all restaurants. Ive been with people that order a burger at a BBQ joint, and guess what?? It wasnt as good as it would be at a Grill/Bar that specializes in burgers. I have enough sense to know to go with a restaurants signature items, and realize if I go with something other than that, its a crap shoot.
I think we can agree Chili's doesnt serve the best ribs around, but they made a dang song about them..and I havent had one BBQ expert run up to me to tell me to avoid Chili's because "the serve fake ribs"..If they did, I'd laugh at them.

If a BBQ guy comes to my restaurant, I would hope they would have the good sense to know we arent a BBQ joint, and stick to our strong suits..Grilled steaks, Chops, southern dishes, etc.

anyway, I hope I dissagreed without being too disagreeable..thanks.

I'm on board here.
Going to Mamas Catfish House and having a RUNZA.  lol
Hell look at fast food, I'm going to KFC for Fish sandwich.
Going to Spagetti Warehouse and get a Tuna fish Sandwich.

We seem to go out with big crowds. some order steaks, some order Italian and yet some brave soul orders Fried chicken.

post edited by Curbside Grill - 2010/02/13 08:28:59
Grits-N-Gravy
Hamburger
Re:BBQ spare ribs question 2010/02/13 08:26:02
Not trying to pick nits, but as to the "you never boil meat" comments, If you intend on making a good mess of southern style beans you have to boil  hamhock in the water to start with.
Curbside Grill
Filet Mignon
Re:BBQ spare ribs question 2010/02/13 08:41:34
Can I suggest something here that is big time at my house.
Hell with the ribs, GO to Sams talk to people in meat Dept., Country Style ribs , 1- 1.5lbs cut.
Do these anyway you want, call a day ahead, they cut and pack for you. am picking up a load on Mon.
Rest. people and individuals here get NY Strips at 1.5-2 inch cuts all the time.
For use a good brased Country Style rib, rice, Mac Cheese and whatever veggie offering. Pot'likker and cornbread. Oh My be there.
'Nana Pudding, Sweet Tea
post edited by Curbside Grill - 2010/02/13 08:44:46
Grits-N-Gravy
Hamburger
Re:BBQ spare ribs question 2010/02/13 08:43:05
also I dont know how you would make Chicken-N-Dumplings, or Chicken Pot Pie without boiling the chicken...

anyways, I'm going to play around with the recipes Russ, and Curb provided, and I'm gonna make some BAKED SPARE RIBS with BBQ sauce so good, Dr. Of BBQ is gonna want to go in business with me!!
Grits-N-Gravy
Hamburger
Re:BBQ spare ribs question 2010/02/13 08:45:31
Curbside Grill

Can I suggest something here that is big time at my house.
Hell with the ribs, GO to Sams talk to people in meat Dept., Country Style ribs , 1- 1.5lbs cut.
Do these anyway you want, call a day ahead, they cut and pack for you. am picking up a load on Mon.
Rest. people and individuals here get NY Strips at 1.5-2 inch cuts all the time.
For use a good brased Country Style rib, rice and whatever vegie offering. Pot'likker and cornbread.

Thats a really good idea...Ive got a darn good Country Rib recipe,too...I could serve it over a bed of rice, and call it a day.
Thanks!
doggydaddy
Re:BBQ spare ribs question 2010/02/13 08:52:07

==anyway, I hope I disagreed without being too disagreeable..thanks. ===

I always wondered how the rest of the world ate their ribs before America invented BBQ...?
My experience with smoke as a requisite necessity for ribs ( or BBQ in general) is recent, within the last 15 years. Prior to that, I made mine without any long smoking.  BBQ as it is now wasn't the norm before then. Slapping a tri-tip on a open grill with Kingsford charcoal was mighty fine eating.

What I used to do was pre-grill the ribs, putting cross marks on the outside and searing them so the meat had color and to keep the succulence inside. It would firm up the outside and prevent it from becoming mushy meat on a bone.  I would cook them in a covered roasting pan for a period of time.  I did not boil them, but they were steamed and the moisture was retained.
When I had a order, I slapped them on the grill, reinforcing the appearance.  A glaze of sauce and they looked fine. That was then....

Do not focus on the word "BBQ" in your description.  Focus on what you are doing.  That is your selling point that will offset any consideration of true BBQ.  You are not claiming to be one anyway. Think in terms such as:
Flame Broiled
Hickory Kissed
Wood Grilled
Steakhouse Style

Some of the more recent models of Alto- Sham do have the ability to smoke. They have a little box at the bottom near the heating elements. You will get the flavor, but will not get the smoke coloring that is important to a place that specializes in BBQ.
That said, if you want the appearance of a pinkish smoke ring, the Chinese do have a method for that. They have been cooking ribs way before America was discovered....

mark
Russ Jackson
☄ Helpful
Re:BBQ spare ribs question 2010/02/13 09:05:14
Grits-N-Gravy

also I dont know how you would make Chicken-N-Dumplings, or Chicken Pot Pie without boiling the chicken...

anyways, I'm going to play around with the recipes Russ, and Curb provided, and I'm gonna make some BAKED SPARE RIBS with BBQ sauce so good, Dr. Of BBQ is gonna want to go in business with me!!

You would not boil the chicken or ham hock. You would bring it to boil then drop down to a low simmer. Then it would be covered and skimmed during the process. Boiling would cause the water to deplete far too quickly and destroy the meat. There is a big difference between Boiling and Simmering...Russ

Curbside Grill
Filet Mignon
Re:BBQ spare ribs question 2010/02/13 09:07:20
Will post pic of 1.5lb Later, have to pick up first.
But have 60 year old orphans  that want to be adopted. LOL
Never a slow moment at our place. I moved here for peace and quiet. LOL
Wife gets mad 8 for dinner.
Ice Cream Man
Re:BBQ spare ribs question 2010/02/13 09:48:09
Grits-N-Gravy

I'm working on my menu and am  undecided on offering ribs. My concept is grill heavy (no pastas), and I would like to offer ribs. Doing steaks, chicken, pork chops, seafood off a hickory fired grill.

Thanks in advance.

I think you will find a lot of customers that like your food.

Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
Re:BBQ spare ribs question 2010/02/13 09:56:43
Grits N Gravy :I think we can agree Chili's doesn't serve the best ribs around, but they made a dang song about them..

Well I promise you no one that knows good Q........ eats ribs at Chili's and it isn't a song it's a jingle for radio and TV. And Chili's dropped their signature Rib Tips, more than a year ago.

Grits N Gravy "I havent had one BBQ expert run up to me to tell me to avoid Chili's because "the serve fake ribs""

Yes you did, you had several on this thread, and Here is a good indication of what people think of Chili's Ribs………….......................

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/420957

Grits N Gravy I'm gonna make some BAKED SPARE RIBS with BBQ sauce so good, Dr. Of BBQ is gonna want to go in business with me!!

A billy goat will show up at your place to eat (if you had a place to eat) before that will happen. But you did say something that interested me.

Grits N Gravy I have enough sense to know to go with a restaurants signature items, and realize if I go with something other than that, its a crap shoot.

So I’d have to ask if you were going to open a restaurant, why would you serve something that you call a crap shoot. Why not make sure you sold the best of the best and offered your customers nothing less?  There is more but I'm bored.
post edited by Dr of BBQ - 2010/02/13 09:59:35
waydeg
Cheeseburger
☄ Helpful
Re:BBQ spare ribs question 2010/02/13 11:09:31
Well, I'm gonna stick my foot in my mouth but....

If I want true Q - I go to a BBQ joint. e.g. - Kreuz Market in Lockhart, Tx, Arthur Bryant's in KC

I don't go to a family joint that tries to cater to several appetites and expect a premium specialty product.
My point is, offer a good product - like the ribs - but don't pan them of as BBQ. Set your customer's expectations. Don't disappoint. 

But what the heck do I know. I'm a third generation Texan and I prefer pork to beef (especially ribs). WTH

post edited by waydeg - 2010/02/13 11:25:17
WyldeChef
Hamburger
Re:BBQ spare ribs question 2010/02/13 13:31:01
Dr of BBQ

Excuse the sarcasm.

Jack

Made Ginger Ale run out of my nose when I read this.  Thanks Jack, I need a new keyboard now!

I have to agree with the good doctor on this point. If your not going to actually BBQ the ribs then don't serve BBQ ribs. Your menu should only contain items that you prepare better then your competition.

If you can not add to the game do not play, it will cost you more then you know otherwise.

Good luck

doggydaddy
Re:BBQ spare ribs question 2010/02/13 17:12:00

Here is a Alto Sham that can smoke and roast.

http://www.alto-shaam.com....asp?productnumber=142

Unlike a traditional smoker, you can actually use it as a straight up oven. There are other models but I bet you can find a used one.

mark
Grits-N-Gravy
Hamburger
Re:BBQ spare ribs question 2010/02/14 00:37:02
Dr of BBQ

Grits N Gravy :I think we can agree Chili's doesn't serve the best ribs around, but they made a dang song about them..

Well I promise you no one that knows good Q........ eats ribs at Chili's and it isn't a song it's a jingle for radio and TV. And Chili's dropped their signature Rib Tips, more than a year ago.

Grits N Gravy "I havent had one BBQ expert run up to me to tell me to avoid Chili's because "the serve fake ribs""

Yes you did, you had several on this thread, and Here is a good indication of what people think of Chili's Ribs………….......................

Grits N Gravy I'm gonna make some BAKED SPARE RIBS with BBQ sauce so good, Dr. Of BBQ is gonna want to go in business with me!!

A billy goat will show up at your place to eat (if you had a place to eat) before that will happen. But you did say something that interested me.

Grits N Gravy I have enough sense to know to go with a restaurants signature items, and realize if I go with something other than that, its a crap shoot.

So I’d have to ask if you were going to open a restaurant, why would you serve something that you call a crap shoot. Why not make sure you sold the best of the best and offered your customers nothing less?  There is more but I'm bored.

Dr of BBQ,
I really dont understand why you are being so nasty towards me, bro. I simply asked for some recipe ideas.  ( Nice personal insult with "If you had a place to eat" comment") . Why would you do that?

As to the part about me saying I would make my ribs so good you would want to go in business with me, I did that to try to show you respect , and lighten the thread. 

I found this website and liked it. I saw the pics of your Q and was blown away.

I stand by my opinion that 90% of the dining public do not share your refined taste in BBQ. I have spent my life in restaurants and have learned a lot. 
I stand ny my comment that your passion for what YOU do, has narrowed your persective ...and heck, I'm not even saying thats a bad thing.

I know my ribs wont be "crap", I was just using your words in my premise. 

I'm sorry to have "bored you".  I undrestand, Its  easy to look down on someone that doesnt agree with you 100% and judge them for it... what I dont comprehend is what you get from it, and what good comes from it.
 I hope I have disagreed without being disagreable. I like this Forum and only wish to learn, and when able, to help someone else with my knowledge and experience in this business.

post edited by Grits-N-Gravy - 2010/02/14 01:43:32
Grits-N-Gravy
Hamburger
Re:BBQ spare ribs question 2010/02/14 01:01:54
Ice Cream Man

Grits-N-Gravy

Thanks in advance.

I think you will find a lot of customers that like your food.

Thank you, Ice cream man.  Steaks and grilled meats are the things I have the most experience in and knowledge of.
 My background is upscale steakhouses, and southern foods.
My goal is to try and mix high quality grilled steaks, Pork chops, and some seafood with southern style vegtables and and high quality desserts to cut out a niche down here in Florida.

I'll be cooking my meats on a hickory (with some oak) fired grill, mixing in some traditional southern entree's (chicken and dumplins, meatloaf, fried chicken, blackened shrimp/fish over cheese grits),and for veggies,doing garlic mashed potato, sauteed garlic spinach, sweet potato casserole, yellow squash casserole, potato salad, cheese grits souffle. etc)

As for appetizers,I'm foing to do Fried Green Tomato's, fried dill pickles, salmon croquettes, spinach and artichoke dip, baked bree, etc)..and y'all know Ive gotta do some Pimento cheese dip, and a pimento cheeseburger.

As to desserts, I plan to do seasonal cobbler, pecan pie, creme brulee.and am working on scratch doughnuts...along with f=baked to order chocolate chip cookies.

I thank y'all that have offered me advice and been cool. I'm wide open to ideas, as I know Ive got a lot  to learn. I know what I know, but also realize I'm a long way from knowing everything.

I think my concept is a fresh fit for here "down north", and hope to use this forum to help me get even better.

post edited by Grits-N-Gravy - 2010/02/14 01:25:24
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
Re:BBQ spare ribs question 2010/02/14 01:52:02
Dr of BBQ,
I really dont understand why you are being so nasty towards me, bro.

I'm not being nasty towards you or anyone else it just makes no sense planing a restaurant if your not going to serve the best food you can produce.

I would strongly suggest you not try to BS your way past your customers and not serve something that you don't have the proper experience and equipment to produce.

Unlike other foods with BBQ fans you usually only get one shot. Once you have smelled the smoke you will never be the same.

As far as this comment:    Grits N Gravy I'm gonna make some BAKED SPARE RIBS with BBQ sauce so good, Dr. Of BBQ is gonna want to go in business with me!!

I'm sticking with the goat theory. LMAO
post edited by Dr of BBQ - 2010/02/14 01:56:09
Ice Cream Man
Re:BBQ spare ribs question 2010/02/14 02:19:42
Sounds good to me Grits I hate smoke.
I BBQ my ribs at home I don't smoke them.
I'm not fussy on sauce, just some good bread and butter.
One of my favourites is a big plate of cold day old BBQ ribs with lots of bread and butter.
Curbside Grill
Filet Mignon
Re:BBQ spare ribs question 2010/02/14 02:54:31
On the back burner
Liver n Onions. Not everybody in every family likes this. But you do a good Liver n onions with mashed taters they will come . Oh Mom, I hate Liver.  Others order whatever. My Favorites on the road are :
Meatloaf/Brown gravy       woolworth's had good meatloaf
Liver n Onions                    Pork, beef and/or chicken sauted in butter sauce
Hamburgers
Fried Chickin

OH and appitizers
Reg you mentioned but found in upstate Ohio, Kraut Balls. Unreal. OH transplants.
post edited by Curbside Grill - 2010/02/14 02:58:27
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
Re:BBQ spare ribs question 2010/02/14 09:18:48
Ice Cream Man

One of my favourites is a big plate of cold day old BBQ ribs with lots of bread and butter.

why is that no suprise?
Curbside Grill
Filet Mignon
Re:BBQ spare ribs question 2010/02/14 10:48:17
bill voss

Ice Cream Man

why is that no suprise?

BBQ is Southern everybody does their own.
You would not know Speckled ,Fordhooks, to baby limas or butterbeans
Field peas to Crowder peas, Purple hulls to zippers.  All with pot Likker over rice.

Three kinds of ribs. Baby backs, Spare ribs and Country style, the meaty one.
A good baked,braised, or smoked country style in my book is king. A quick glase and on the barbie or broiler, I am talking Rest. not home.
  Ribs done with our Homemade Honey Orange BBQ sauce.   No BBQ there.

post edited by Curbside Grill - 2010/02/14 10:52:58
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
Re:BBQ spare ribs question 2010/02/14 10:54:58
right. That's why it was humorous to hear an opinionated Canadian weigh in on
smokeless BBQ.
Curbside Grill
Filet Mignon
Re:BBQ spare ribs question 2010/02/14 11:07:07
I know people that still refer to grilling as BBQ.
Canadians have their comfort food and me being a southerner running all over canada 6-9 mos a year,  got use to there comfort food, rib sticking good. Love their transportation laws.
never found a good bowl of chili.
Curbside Grill
Filet Mignon
Re:BBQ spare ribs question 2010/02/14 11:13:39
No salad here, a bowl of beans, thick slice of onion with Cornbread Muffins and butter comes first.
90% PLUS of rest. in my area.

Have a pot of Fordhooks on stove now.
post edited by Curbside Grill - 2010/02/14 11:22:31
Ice Cream Man
Re:BBQ spare ribs question 2010/02/14 11:41:20
Well seeing that everyone else here is opinionated it must be just that I am a Canadian.
Doesn't matter lots of Canadians like smoke just not me and you can torcher me all you want but I still won't like smoke.
I still think Grits will find lots of Americans that will eat meat with out smoke. I don't know what makes you think we don't have 3 kinds of ribs in Canada or some of the best pork in the world.
As for chili you've got that right, you wouldn't like it because we don't think food has to burn your mouth on the way in and your ass on the way out to be good.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:BBQ spare ribs question 2010/02/14 11:48:53
" />
waydeg
Cheeseburger
Re:BBQ spare ribs question 2010/02/14 13:45:55
Just to set things straight - Grits - you don't need an enclosed smoker to do BBQ. And if you don't want smoke, don't do smoke, but I thought I read in your first post that you are grilling.  
"Doing steaks, chicken, pork chops, seafood off a hickory fired grill. " 
Maybe, I'm confused on what you're trying to accomplish.
This is the Salt Lick near Austin, Texas that has some of the best BBQ in the state. Not necessarily my top pick but way up on the list. It's an open pit, they use a mix of woods and it's good. If you can cook low and slow and flavor your product with some type of wood smoke - it's BBQ.  Grits - do it or don't do it. It's your call and your rep. Let your customers determine the fate of the plate. 

I have a Top Dog cart and could serve Oscar Mayer franks all day to Texans and sell them as Sabretts or Vienna Beef dogs. That will work out fine until someone from NY or Chi town calls my bluff. Texans? We wouldn't know any better unless we've had the real deal. You think I try to pass off Pace picante sauce as high end salsa? No way. It's "consumer grade". Customers are smart.

post edited by waydeg - 2010/02/14 13:52:16
Curbside Grill
Filet Mignon
Re:BBQ spare ribs question 2010/02/14 14:14:05
Ice Cream Man

Well seeing that everyone else here is opinionated it must be just that I am a Canadian.
Doesn't matter lots of Canadians like smoke just not me and you can torcher me all you want but I still won't like smoke.
I still think Grits will find lots of Americans that will eat meat with out smoke. I don't know what makes you think we don't have 3 kinds of ribs in Canada or some of the best pork in the world.
As for chili you've got that right, you wouldn't like it because we don't think food has to burn your mouth on the way in and your ass on the way out to be good.

Whow, not what I said, I like your opinions. Most Business owners are alpha. It is just the Darkside comes over here and causes things.
I followed your threads on the Darkside, like the thoughts. the ones on hamburger and french fries with Georgiadogs, they don't understand.
Want it their way.  
Russ Jackson
Re:BBQ spare ribs question 2010/02/14 14:54:53
I guess what I am hearing is that ribs should never be cooked in an oven. Well I do it all the time. They taste great not only to me but to my friends and family. When I have guests over they always ask me to make ribs. Sometimes I smoke them and sometimes I cook them in the oven. While both taste totally different there are never any left at the end of the day. Saying that smoking certain pieces of meat is the only way to cook them is just silly. Calling oven cooked ribs BBQ is just as silly. I can teach a novice to cook ribs in an oven. There are many people that will never be able to BBQ ribs in a smoker. I would rather eat my oven cooked ribs than the ribs served at almost any chain in the country. Including City BBQ here in Ohio.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:BBQ spare ribs question 2010/02/14 14:59:47
Russ Jackson

I guess what I am hearing is that ribs should never be cooked in an oven. Well I do it all the time. They taste great not only to me but to my friends and family. When I have guests over they always ask me to make ribs. Sometimes I smoke them and sometimes I cook them in the oven. While both taste totally different there are never any left at the end of the day. Saying that smoking certain pieces of meat is the only way to cook them is just silly. Calling oven cooked ribs BBQ is just as silly. I can teach a novice to cook ribs in an oven. There are many people that will never be able to BBQ ribs in a smoker. I would rather eat my oven cooked ribs than the ribs served at almost any chain in the country. Including City BBQ here in Ohio.

Usually their brisket is fairly tasty and juicy.

1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
Re:BBQ spare ribs question 2010/02/14 15:03:20
oven baked ribs are great, they just aren't BBQ.
Ice Cream Man
Re:BBQ spare ribs question 2010/02/14 18:44:20
Mine are BBQed, Just not smoked.
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
Re:BBQ spare ribs question 2010/02/14 21:00:27
by most accepted definitions, that makes no sense.
WyldeChef
Hamburger
Re:BBQ spare ribs question 2010/02/14 21:46:42
What we have here is a failure to communicate.

Wood + Fire + MEAT = BBQ.

There is a period on the end of that equation for a reason.

There is no Pot of Water in that equation.

There is no Oven in that equation.

Just Wood, Fire and Meat.

If you use propane or charcoal with no wood you are either baking or grilling.

If you use a pot of water you are simply making a mistake.

Guys with BBQ in their name are never going remain silent when someone pipes up with a FauxQue idea.. These guys (myself included) have spent a good period of their lives chasing the blue smoke and can easily take offense to someone MISLABELING their menu items.

I do not think that anyone here is trying to be offensive. There are just some really STRONG feelings when it comes to BBQ as an art form. Which is why the ancient preparation is still so very very popular.

Please remember we are all behind you 100% Even Doc's Goat.
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
Re:BBQ spare ribs question 2010/02/14 21:57:53
mmmm. BBQ'ed Goat.
Ice Cream Man
Re:BBQ spare ribs question 2010/02/14 22:46:48
By Southern US standards you are right but believe it or not you are not on the planet by yourselves.
Look up the definition the rest of the world goes by.
I never even told you how I BBQ, I sure never said I boiled or baked anything.
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
Re:BBQ spare ribs question 2010/02/14 22:48:05
well, we're only talking about Roadfood, not the World.
Ice Cream Man
Re:BBQ spare ribs question 2010/02/14 22:49:23
Wood + Fire + MEAT = BBQ.

There is a period on the end of that equation for a reason.

What did you forget the smoke before the period or you arguing in my favour.
Ice Cream Man
Re:BBQ spare ribs question 2010/02/14 22:50:42
bill voss

well, we're only talking about Roadfood, not the World.

So tell me what roadfood is?

WyldeChef
Hamburger
Re:BBQ spare ribs question 2010/02/14 23:12:42
If you burn wood with fire there is smoke.

Doesnt matter where in the world you are. Pitching pigs into pits in Hawaii or hanging fish over the fire in maine BBQ is BBQ. Wood+Fire+Meat

My posts were not at all directed at you Ice Cream man.
Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3 - Powered by APG vNext Trial