Pizzeria Bianco Phoenix

Gumbo191
  • Total Posts : 71
  • Reward points : 0
Pizzeria Bianco Phoenix - Fri, 02/19/10 10:38 PM
Wow, where do I start? I have heard the horror stories of 3-5 hour waits to be seated at Chris Bianco’s Pizzeria (Pizzeria Bianco) located at Heritage Square in Phoenix and the pretentious attitudes of the staff so I prepared myself for the worse.

After being stranded at Sky Harbor for the night we settled in at the closest Marriot for the night only to find out that Pizzeria Bianco was only 2 blocks away! My goal in Phoenix was to make at least one meal at the famed pizzeria (Bon Appetite’s Top Pizza in the U.S.) and that just did not work out considering the number of great places to eat in the area. So after hours of talking up the “pizza joint” and 6 hours in the airport they all agreed and were willing to take the risk of the long lines expected at the famed pizzeria.

We arrived shortly after 6 pm on a windy and rainy night in Phoenix (hence the airport delays) and added our name to the list at Pizzeria Bianco and proceeded to Bar Bianco next store. Bar Bianco recently opened to accommodate the crowds outside of the pizzeria and we graciously took a seat at the bar and enjoyed a cheese board and a few cocktails. After an hour we were seated next door in the small brick building with a bar and only a handful of tables. The pizzeria was dominated by the wood fired grill in the corner where Chris Bianco practices his craft. 

The menu is comprised of 2 anti Pasto platters, 3 salads, and 6 pizzas (from $11-$14). The pizzas all with their own unique qualities including the Margherita with house made mozzarella, the “Rosa” with red onion, Parmigiano and Pistachios, the “Wise Guy” with onion, smoked mozzarella, and fennel sausage, the “Sonny Boy” with salami, onions, and olives, and the “Biancoverde” with ricotta, mozzarella, Parmigiano, topped with fresh Arugula. The “Biancoverde” was a refreshing change from the traditional pie with a pile of Arugula added at the end of the cooking process. The “Sonny Boy” was topped with phenomenal salami and tart olive that balanced the sweet sauce. The crust from the wood fired grill set the stage for these formidable pies and were slightly charred from the 800 degree fire which added a smoke flavor. The crust was crisp yet chewy and unlike many other pizza places there was NO crust left over on our plates!

My experience at Pizzeria Bianco was fabulous from the service at Bar Bianco to the Pizzeria and through the end of dinner. This was absolutely the “Best” pizza I have ever been served. If you are ever in Phoenix make your way to Pizzeria Bianco!

sk bob
  • Total Posts : 1801
Re:Pizzeria Bianco Phoenix - Mon, 02/22/10 9:20 PM
only a shill from Arkansas would find the "greatest" pizza in Arizona.

saps
  • Total Posts : 1551
Re:Pizzeria Bianco Phoenix - Mon, 02/22/10 9:46 PM
Actually, Pizzeria Bianco is very highly regarded. 

Pigiron
  • Total Posts : 1384
Re:Pizzeria Bianco Phoenix - Mon, 02/22/10 10:11 PM
sk bob

only a shill from Arkansas would find the "greatest" pizza in Arizona.

How exactly is he a shill?  Pizzaria Bianco is generally mentioned among the best pizzarias in the country. 

Curbside Grill
  • Total Posts : 3916
Re:Pizzeria Bianco Phoenix - Tue, 02/23/10 9:16 AM
You all are right. Chris Has been having health problems, wood fire and OO flour, he has hardly been in the shop since before Christmas. Dr.'s  advice , his brother Mario still makes the dough. Numurous places to look for info. Guess three hour hour wait down to two, when to one hour wait. We still have him for help in pizza forum.

http://www.azcentral.com/thingstodo/dining/articles/2010/01/27/20100127chris-bianco-no-more-pizzas.html

sk bob
  • Total Posts : 1801
Re:Pizzeria Bianco Phoenix - Tue, 02/23/10 10:30 AM
sorry, just some B busting.

divefl
  • Total Posts : 1671
Re:Pizzeria Bianco Phoenix - Tue, 02/23/10 10:35 AM
Does this need two threads?

Gumbo191
Re:Pizzeria Bianco Phoenix - Tue, 02/23/10 6:20 PM
Sorry, still working on my RF etiquette!

Whats a shill?

David_NYC
  • Total Posts : 2162
Re:Pizzeria Bianco Phoenix - Tue, 02/23/10 7:00 PM
From the Urban Dictionary:
"A person engaged in covert advertising. The shill attempts to spread buzz by personally endorsing the product in public forums with the pretense of sincerity, when in fact he is being paid for his services."

A lot of posts by shills start out with "I'm new here", e.g. "I'm new here, and just have to tell about this great new vacuum cleaner."

Russ Jackson
  • Total Posts : 2257
Re:Pizzeria Bianco Phoenix - Tue, 02/23/10 7:40 PM
I was a Shill in a poker room in San Diego for a few years. I was there to fill short tables until other players showed up. If players asked if any Shills were at the table you had to identify yourself....Russ

Gumbo191
Re:Pizzeria Bianco Phoenix - Tue, 02/23/10 9:48 PM
Makes sense now thanks. Im not a shill but after reading so many reviews about the place my expectations were very high. Fortunately they were exceeded (that is not a shameless plug).