East End Long Island NY Lunch

Tony Bad
  • Total Posts : 5114
  • Reward points : 0
East End Long Island NY Lunch - Sat, 02/20/10 2:44 PM
After being out working in the cold all morning I drove past a sign one doesn't see every day around these parts that read "pastrami fresh daily". 

After making a quick u-turn I stopped at the Maple Tree Deli in Riverhead NY. The place is a regular deli, serving breakfast and lunch along side a building that houses their catering operation. (http://www.mapletreebbq.com) The young man behind the counter, who told me he was the son of the owner, gave me a sample which immediately sold me. The meat was lean, very tender, and incredibly flavorful. Of couse I ordered the pastrami, which was hand cut...which I know matters to some, on rye with mustard.  I don't know of many places around here that are curing their own pastrami these days outside of NY City. Most is of the cold-cut variety and it is not good. This was tender, moist, and very good.

The bread was okay, softer than I like, but I say the same thing about Katz's rye. The meat was so good that it really deserved a bit nicer, firmer rye. I dream of a good pastrami like this served on a nice chewy Lithuanian bread like the Silver Bell bakery in Corona makes. Anyway, the sandwich was a great find, and at $5 is also an incredible bargain.

After this I went a 1/2 mile down the road to Snowflake Ice Cream also in Riverhead

http://www.roadfood.com/R...37/snowflake-ice-cream

As per their facebook page...the fact they have a facebook page surprised me...this weeks special was Ginger Raspberry Chip. Now I know that many ginger flavored foods have a powerful ginger taste that over powers anything, but this was nicely and subtly done. There were no whole raspberries, yet each bite had a taste of both the ginger and raspberry-chocolate chips and neither one over powered the other. Very good! 

This good lunch made up for the lousy morning in the wind and cold. I plan to return to maple tree for a taste of their ribs, which also looked good.

<message edited by Tony Bad on Mon, 02/22/10 9:30 PM>

joerogo
  • Total Posts : 4468
Re:East End Long Island NY Lunch - Sat, 02/20/10 3:44 PM

Nice find Tony.  And in a beautiful part of The Island.

ROADTRIP!

gleng1
  • Total Posts : 2
Re:East End Long Island NY Lunch - Mon, 02/22/10 10:27 AM
Excellent tip!  All that's missing is the ADDRESS!  (Hee hee!)

Maple Tree Deli 
820 West Main Street
Riverhead, NY
(631) 727-2819‎

Nearby Snowflake Ice Cream
1148 West Main Street
Riverhead, NY
(631) 727-4394‎

Tony Bad
  • Total Posts : 5114
Re:East End Long Island NY Lunch - Mon, 02/22/10 10:29 AM
gleng1

Excellent tip!  All that's missing is the ADDRESS!  (Hee hee!)

Maple Tree Deli 
820 West Main Street
Riverhead, NY
(631) 727-2819‎

Nearby Snowflake Ice Cream
1148 West Main Street
Riverhead, NY
(631) 727-4394‎

Thanks for the assist. Sorry I forgot that!

sk bob
  • Total Posts : 1801
Re:East End Long Island NY Lunch - Mon, 02/22/10 9:12 PM
I second the great find Tony.

heinenp
Re:East End Long Island NY Lunch - Sun, 04/4/10 8:34 AM
I stopped by yesterday for some Pastrami and they only had enough for one sandwich.  The BBQ Beef Brisket looked pretty good so I got one of them also.  They suggested the white BBQ sauce which is a very nice horseraddish sauce.  Spring has finally come to the east end.  Sat at the picnic tables across the street overlooking the Peconic River.

heinenp
Re:East End Long Island NY Lunch - Sun, 04/4/10 10:29 AM
Picnic Tables across the street overlooking the Peconic River