Has anyone ever eaten any of these dishes?

Filet Mignon
2010/02/20 16:10:44
My son is taking us to a new Chinese restaurant next week.  This place has received  rave reviews.  He had lunch there yesterday and said that it was fantastic.  The owner gave him a menu to bring home.  My question is have any of you  ever had the following?
Crispy spicy pig intestines
Steak fish head with hot red pepper sauce
Stir-fry kidney of pork
pork intestines with chili sauce
Stir-fry  pig blood with meatballs
Fish intestines in casserole
Tripes in casserole
Steam pig blood, meatballs and ham   (This is just an example  of some of the menu items)

One grandchild  says that if  she had to  try something weird, she is  ordering  the  Spicy ox tongue slices and hoping for it to taste like  hot dogs.  As for me;  one order of pork lo mein please!
Russ Jackson
Double Chili Cheeseburger
Re:Has anyone ever eaten any of these dishes? 2010/02/20 16:21:48
I love Menudo so start with the tripe. Stir fry pork kidney sounds good.....Russ
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
Re:Has anyone ever eaten any of these dishes? 2010/02/20 16:56:20
"Crispy spicy pig intestines" Love 'em, just make sure your choppers are well-glued if you have dentures.
David_NYC
Re:Has anyone ever eaten any of these dishes? 2010/02/20 17:24:15
"Crispy spicy pig intestines" are also known as chitterlings or chitlins. I think you will find that most of the patrons at this restaurant will be Asian. The old saw in Chinatown, NYC is to patronize restaurants with mostly Asian customers. Often the restaurant owner/manager will take the time to explain these "weird" dishes in detail to American diners.

I won't eat some of these dishes because of food safety considerations. The restaurant does't have the luxury of testing after manufacture like in a frankfurter casing plant.

I would recommend taking as many people as possible and each ordering a different entree, so people can share and try different dishes.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Has anyone ever eaten any of these dishes? 2010/02/20 18:33:52
I think you will find that is true of any Asian restaurant - if it has numerous Asian customers you are in the right place.
plb
Re:Has anyone ever eaten any of these dishes? 2010/02/20 19:48:02
No, I have not tried them, but they are a sign of an authentic Chinese restaurant.  I'm sure there are lots of other dishes on the menu I'd like.
Born in OKC
Cheeseburger
Re:Has anyone ever eaten any of these dishes? 2010/02/21 02:27:21
Greymo -

I've eaten similar items at several local restaurants and in Washington, D.C. and other places and I will again.  My main problem is that I tend to be a little more adventuresome than some in my family.  One order of pork kidney in garlic sauce - to name one example - is a lot if no one else will taste. 

If the restaurant you describe has a web site I hope you will post a link.

I've had a couple of unfortunate experiences over the years.

We used to stop for  BBQ at a place north of I-10 and the food was pretty good.  I used to think it would be nice to pass through on a summer weekend when they advertised live music in the evening.  Then one time I bit down on a hard something in a BBQ sandwich that was made from what I assume was nicely seasoned local sausage.  I thought it must be a piece of bone that went into the grinder.  It turned out to be an intact kernel of feed corn.  I am sorry for the folks who suffered so much in the hurricane, but I'm not sorry that BBQ place did not reopen after Katrina. 

Then there was an unusual take out soul food place run by Americans in Atlanta once.  It was a recycled hamburger stand if you will and had a drive thru line.  They served good chitlins in hot sauce and one day I found a piece of more or less intact silage, a husk fragment in my container of food.  Never went back.  That place is no longer in business either, SFAIK.
Greymo
Filet Mignon
Re:Has anyone ever eaten any of these dishes? 2010/02/21 10:29:40
Their website has not completed yet but,  if you go to it, you will find the review from  The Baltimore Sun,

http://www.hunantastemd.com/
Born in OKC
Cheeseburger
Re:Has anyone ever eaten any of these dishes? 2010/02/21 18:27:08
Greymo-

Thank you for the link.  It has been a while since I've visited the Baltimore area and normally I'd concentrate on fish if near the coast.  But I will try to remember the name Hunan Taste in case I need a Chinese fix.

I hope you will report after your visit.
carlton pierre
Re:Has anyone ever eaten any of these dishes? 2010/02/23 05:30:33
I ate ( or better, attempted to) chicken's feet at a dim sum restaurant one time.  Thinking about it years later is enough to induce a food version of PTSD.