Nuts

dte3672
  • Total Posts : 46
  • Reward points : 0
Nuts - Sat, 01/10/04 10:09 PM
Anybody here love nuts? I love shelled pistachios, cashews, shelled sunflower seeds, pine nuts, macadamias, pecans and really good peanuts like Whitley's. I also love nut spreads like cashew nut butter. I just bought a pistachio nut butter online that is so yummy! I also put nuts in my meals like cashew chicken or vegetarian spaghetti with pine nuts. Anyone here share my passion?

Cakes
  • Total Posts : 562
RE: Nuts - Sat, 01/10/04 10:36 PM
I have never met a nut I didn't like.

That is why I enjoy this forum so much.

Ralph Isbill
  • Total Posts : 185
RE: Nuts - Sun, 01/11/04 1:14 AM
Cakes, all of the clowns are not in the circus. There are a house full here!

redtressed
  • Total Posts : 1017
RE: Nuts - Sun, 01/11/04 3:37 AM
Yup, I love nuts too, with the exception of Brazil and Black Walnuts. Cashews are my absolute favorites. I could live on a full diet of nuts and be a happy woman.

(patiently waits for either Grampy, llee or Jim to come up with some cauliflower black walnut concoction for me to savor)

Jellybeans
  • Total Posts : 312
RE: Nuts - Sun, 01/11/04 3:57 AM
I love all sorts of nuts especially brazils, cashews, peanuts, pistachios and almonds. Not too keen on the bitter-ish tang of the walnut though...

Sundancer7
  • Total Posts : 13386
RE: Nuts - Sun, 01/11/04 4:32 AM
I have about 15 macadamia nuts every day with my special libation.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

EliseT
  • Total Posts : 2849
RE: Nuts - Sun, 01/11/04 5:31 AM
Trader Joe's has coconut-covered cashews that are unbelievable!

mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15058
RE: Nuts - Sun, 01/11/04 6:32 AM
I think Pecans are my favorite...toasted salted, or Pralines or in a pie or on ice cream. For Chocolate-dipped, It would be Macademia's. I enjoy almost all, but those two would top the list.
Want a passage on the Pecan, Find a copy of Mischner's TEXAS. Everytime I read that I HAVE to go find some of those nuts to snack on.

Cakes
RE: Nuts - Sun, 01/11/04 9:58 AM
Black walnuts. We used to go out and pick them up and then clean them. It is quite a chore, they have an outer hull that is green on the outside and black on the inside and nasty.

Mom used them to make Black walnut divinity. Oh was it good! The sweetness of the divinity and the strong taste of the walnuts were a great match.

Cakes

Vince Macek
  • Total Posts : 855
RE: Nuts - Sun, 01/11/04 10:27 AM
Pecans tie me to the Georgia side of my family. A mature pecan grove is a sight to see.

A favorite nut is just the best of a great field of choice. I can't get behind the black walnut much though - I want to, but the difficulty extracting such small, bitter goods is too much of a depressing life lesson.

I managed to impress a lady asking what to do w/ leftover pine nuts once - she thought I had class. I shall have to bring up the topic more often.

Jellybeans
  • Total Posts : 312
RE: Nuts - Sun, 01/11/04 11:44 AM
Anybody here like peanut brittle?

The Chinese use whole roast peanuts mixed in with some kind of thick gloopy molasses syrup and then spread out quickly on a flat surface, left to cool and then broken into pieces. Your hands gotta work fast to spread it out before it sets.

Oh yum!!!! Kids love 'em!!!

i95
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: Nuts - Sun, 01/11/04 11:52 AM
quote:
Originally posted by redtressed

I could live on a full diet of nuts and be a happy woman.

Clothier? Clothier? Please pick-up the white courtesy phone.

Biscuit
  • Total Posts : 73
RE: Nuts - Sun, 01/11/04 1:01 PM
I, too, love nuts! In fact, I just bought some Tamari roasted mixed nuts this morning from the local health food store.
I was reading an article, not long ago, saying that eating one ounce of nuts a day cuts your risk of Sudden Cardiac Arrest by %60. So nuts are not only delicious, they're very healthful. I could also almost live on them alone.

Bill B.
  • Total Posts : 322
RE: Nuts - Sun, 01/11/04 1:58 PM
Cashews and pecans lie at the top of my list. Has anybody here ever tried Planter's honey-roasted cashews? If you like cashews, you'll think you've died and gone to heaven. The only place I've found them is in Target stores.

ocdreamr
  • Total Posts : 1109
RE: Nuts - Sun, 01/11/04 3:31 PM
quote:
Originally posted by i95

quote:

I95 behave yourself. Just because Redtressed open the door, doesn't mean you have to walk through it!!

ocdreamr
  • Total Posts : 1109
RE: Nuts - Sun, 01/11/04 3:35 PM
I love all kinds of nuts. I remember as a kid one of the things I looked for every Christmas was a box of red pistachios tucked in the toe of my stocking. I love Black walnut ice cream. Still pick up fresh roasted peanuts whenever I can.

i95
RE: Nuts - Sun, 01/11/04 3:43 PM
quote:
Originally posted by ocdreamr

quote:
Originally posted by i95

quote:

I95 behave yourself. Just because Redtressed open the door, doesn't mean you have to walk through it!!

Actually, yes it does, ocdreamr.

rumbelly
  • Total Posts : 235
RE: Nuts - Sun, 01/11/04 3:50 PM
I love pistachios. There are 2 species of eaters. One shells and eats as they go, the other shells and piles up to deliver to the mouth a solid rush of nut heaven. It reveals personality traits. Read into it what you will.

EliseT
RE: Nuts - Sun, 01/11/04 6:49 PM
Oh, I'd better go now...I'm in enough trouble already.

i95
RE: Nuts - Sun, 01/11/04 7:35 PM
quote:
Originally posted by EliseT

Oh, I'd better go now...I'm in enough trouble already.

Oh, nuts. See ya, ET !

mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15058
RE: Nuts - Sun, 01/11/04 9:31 PM
Pistachio's are a major crop in our former corner of the Mojave. Lots of Nut Groves. But If you want to see variety , take a ride up US 99 in the Central Valley of California. The Almonds and walnuts and various fruit trees all bloom at roughly the same time. Hundreds of miles of them!! It is a beautiful sight to see.

lleechef
  • Total Posts : 6208
RE: Nuts - Mon, 01/12/04 1:12 AM
Big as** cashews in Brazil at about 80 cents a pound. Nuts are friends AND food. Repeat, clothier.

BigGlenn
  • Total Posts : 461
RE: Nuts - Mon, 01/12/04 1:33 AM
Salted Cashews down the neck of a glass Pepsi bottle to the point that the salt almost makes the Pepsi Fizz over. Then eat and drink at the same time. When was the last time you did that??? Man, Man, Man, It just ain't the same in a Plastic Pepsi Bottle!

Sundancer7
RE: Nuts - Mon, 01/12/04 6:42 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Pistachio's are a major crop in our former corner of the Mojave. Lots of Nut Groves. But If you want to see variety , take a ride up US 99 in the Central Valley of California. The Almonds and walnuts and various fruit trees all bloom at roughly the same time. Hundreds of miles of them!! It is a beautiful sight to see.

I hve been down the valley when the Almonds are blooming. I noticed the beehives at each end of the rows of the trees. The olafactory results are overwhelming and the return on the bee investments are apparently very good. I love the valley in the spring.

Thanks "Mayor" for reminding me of the wonderful trips I have had up I-5

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Kristi S.
  • Total Posts : 712
RE: Nuts - Mon, 01/12/04 7:23 PM
quote:

Pistachio's are a major crop in our former corner of the Mojave.

I can blow through half a bag of pistachios in one sitting. Mind you, this isn't a feat that I'm proud of...[|)]

EliseT
RE: Nuts - Mon, 01/12/04 9:55 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

quote:

I hve been down the valley when the Almonds are blooming. I noticed the beehives at each end of the rows of the trees. The olafactory results are overwhelming and the return on the bee investments are apparently very good. I love the valley in the spring.

Thanks "Mayor" for reminding me of the wonderful trips I have had up I-5

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Wow, that was poetic. I heard it in a Southern Baptist preacher voice as I read it. (and I'm not being sarcastic, I swear...that was beautiful).

olphart
  • Total Posts : 289
RE: Nuts - Tue, 01/13/04 8:46 AM
I am famous for my oatmeal cookies even though my recipe is the one from the Quaker Oats box. They come out crunchy rather than chewy. But the “secret” may be in the pecans.

Any time I make cookies with pecans, I at least double the called-for amount of nuts. It makes all the difference.

dte3672
RE: Nuts - Sat, 01/17/04 2:01 PM

font=Courier NewQuote by EliseT

I'll hafta go get me sum of them!!!
[/font=Courier New

dte3672
RE: Nuts - Sat, 01/17/04 2:07 PM
quote:
Originally posted by dte3672

font=Courier New]Quote by EliseT

I'll hafta go get me sum of them!!!
[/font=Courier New

Boy I made a mess o' that one!

Sundancer7
RE: Nuts - Sun, 01/18/04 5:11 PM
I just ground up about a cup of Macadamia's and coated my chicken with soy flour and egg and rolled it in the macadamia crush. It is frying now while I watch my Colts get crushed.

UUUGGGGHHHH

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

scbuzz
  • Total Posts : 844
RE: Nuts - Sun, 01/18/04 8:16 PM
Wow Sundancer that sound delicious !! Tell us how they turn out !! ... the chicken that is !!!

My favorite nut is Cashews !! Salted cashews !!! I get them at a local speciality grocery store ... they are $7.99/lb but darn well worth it for an occasional treat !!

dte3672
RE: Nuts - Mon, 01/19/04 2:35 PM
quote:
Originally posted by rumbelly

I love pistachios. There are 2 species of eaters. One shells and eats as they go, the other shells and piles up to deliver to the mouth a solid rush of nut heaven. It reveals personality traits. Read into it what you will.

I buy 'em shelled and and get an INSTANT solid rush of nut heaven!

Lone Star
  • Total Posts : 1730
RE: Nuts - Mon, 01/19/04 3:50 PM
quote:
Originally posted by BigGlenn

Salted Cashews down the neck of a glass Pepsi bottle to the point that the salt almost makes the Pepsi Fizz over. Then eat and drink at the same time. When was the last time you did that??? Man, Man, Man, It just ain't the same in a Plastic Pepsi Bottle!

Isn't that the truth! My preference was for Spanish peanuts in a icy bottle of Coke.

Sundancer7
RE: Nuts - Mon, 01/19/04 4:07 PM
Clothier: Cause it taste good. I have done that for 50 years or maybe longer. The saltier, the better.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

fogwater
  • Total Posts : 40
RE: Nuts - Mon, 01/19/04 4:12 PM
I like pecans the most, and then almonds, walnuts, peanuts, pistachios, pine, cashews. Brazil & macadamia I can do without; they taste like candles to me, all waxy. Not that I eat candles. By the way, all these nuts seem to taste best when toasted. Spiced up they're real good too.

Roasted sunflower and pumpkin seeds are great.

Sundancer7
RE: Nuts - Mon, 01/19/04 4:19 PM
quote:
Originally posted by clothier

is it the mis of the sweet soda and the salty nuts? Does it change the flavor of either?

This is just another case of me being a dumb yankee, isn't it?

Clothier, I would never say that.

It may be just a southern thing. All I know is that we have done that forever and all my friends have done the same. Some reason it is better out of a bottle that is cold.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

RubyRose
  • Total Posts : 2187
RE: Nuts - Mon, 01/19/04 4:21 PM
CMP sundaes, mmmmmmmm.

Lone Star
RE: Nuts - Mon, 01/19/04 4:26 PM
I think it may be a southern thing Clothier. If you have never had peanuts in a coke, I'll bet you've never had a diced up dill pickle and pickle juice in an icy Dr. Pepper either have you?

Cakes
RE: Nuts - Mon, 01/19/04 4:31 PM
My friends in NW Iowa used to put peanuts in their Coke so maybe it is not a southern thing. I just never could get too excited about it.

Cakes

Lone Star
RE: Nuts - Mon, 01/19/04 4:56 PM
Probably a bunch of kids at a Drive-in movie.

emsmom
  • Total Posts : 955
RE: Nuts - Fri, 04/16/04 9:35 AM
I like all kinds of nuts. Cashews are some of my favorite but sometimes pricy. I really like pecans. We buy them from a local church each year and I usually get 4-5 lbs. and freeze them to use all during the year. I like to toast them in the oven with a little melted margerine and garlic salt. I also like peanuts cooked in many different ways. Do you remember when the 5-10 cent stores used to have a candy counter and they also sold freshly cooked nuts. I used to love to get the Spanish peanuts right out of the cooker. also the cashews.

Frank Smith
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Nuts - Fri, 04/16/04 6:55 PM
Walnuts in my oatmeal raisin cookies and my brownies are a must. My wife and I buy raw almonds and pecans. These are wonderful right out of the freezer or roast them up in the old cast iron skillet with some butter and salt. Oh, now you've done it. I'm headed for the freezer right now.

jerseygirl127
  • Total Posts : 454
RE: Nuts - Sun, 04/18/04 9:10 AM
nuts nuts nuts.. hmm i like cashews,and pistachios- those would have to be my top of the list favorites.. but then again there are peanuts ( especially at a ball game or while watching a ball game and having a cold one too...) and there are walnuts and pecans and ....... that doesn't even begin to list the things that are MADE with nuts.. peanut butter/peanut brittle/pecan pie/ice cream.. hmm i guess i like all nuts! ( says a lot about a person's personality too i guess!!! :)

Emerald
  • Total Posts : 27
RE: Nuts - Tue, 05/4/04 11:52 AM
Don't forget HICKORY NUTS!! If cutting down a hickory tree was a crime we'd have more of those wonderful flavor morsels. Better than any other nut perhaps but who has had the chance to try them?

emsmom
  • Total Posts : 955
RE: Nuts - Tue, 05/4/04 1:48 PM
What I really like is the chocolate covered double dipped peanuts.
We have a Mr. C's Delivery (modern version of Charles Chips) and he sells bags of the double dipped peanuts and bags of double dipped raisins that are wonderful.

Cakes
RE: Nuts - Tue, 05/4/04 2:11 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Emerald

Don't forget HICKORY NUTS!! If cutting down a hickory tree was a crime we'd have more of those wonderful flavor morsels. Better than any other nut perhaps but who has had the chance to try them?

That would be a pecan.

SallyW
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Nuts - Mon, 05/17/04 2:29 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Emerald

They're wonderful! In my grandparents' back yard there were huge hickory trees (of course, we called them "hickernut trees"), and we kids labored hard to get into those shells. We have scalybark trees (shagbark hickory) nearby, and always pick up a few each fall. Same taste, a little less effort.

My favorite nuts, though, are pecans.

BTW, this is my first post here. Hi, folks!

Browniebaker
  • Total Posts : 40
RE: Nuts - Mon, 05/17/04 9:25 AM
Nuts! I'm nuts for them. My favorite are cashews, simply roasted unsalted, to eat by the handful. Trader Joe's sells "The World's Largest" jumbo cashews for $6.49 a pound; these are super-crisp and flavorful and are worth the extra $2.50 over the large size that they sell. My children even like them for snacking!

Other favorite nuts are pecans, Brazil nuts, almonds, peanuts (I know it's really a legume, not a nut), macadamia nuts, chestnuts, walnuts, coconut, and pine nuts.

A brownie is not at it's best without chopped walnuts.

Other foods improved by nuts: oatmeal cookies (chopped pecans), chicken country captain (chopped peanuts or slivered almonds), ice cream, muffins and other quick breads.

Mommy makes a fried candied pecan that is irresistible. Very more-ish. I eat the whole batch.

One of my favorite pies is Japanese fruit pie ( a Southern pie that is not Japanese in origin at all), which is simply chopped pecans, shredded coconut, and raisins ina chess-pie filling and soooo good.

My fruitcake recipe is equal parts but and fruit by volume. Some would call it a nut cake.

Nuts are the best part of Poppycock. My brother (who's 41 and should know better) eats only the nuts and leaves the popcorn, making me mad. I would do that, too, but etiquette keeps me from doing it.

Marron glacees, candied chestnuts are one of my all-time favorite foods, each alabaster nugget a little candy-chewy on the outside and very creamy inside.

Thank goodness nuts are good for your health!

Rex Allen
  • Total Posts : 157
RE: Nuts - Mon, 05/17/04 11:36 AM
I buy my Cashews at COSTCO they are so good and cheap. Rex in expensive foggy San Diego!

stormycat
  • Total Posts : 102
RE: Nuts - Mon, 05/17/04 12:39 PM
quote:
Originally posted by EliseT

Those things are dangerous. I can eat a whole bag in one sitting, no problem. I like to take a 1/2 handful of those and 1/2 a handful of chocolate chips and mash the into my mouth all at once. Pure heaven.